• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
This is a really silly argument to make. This whole time thing.

Did MS say, we have the most powerful console, but please wait a year until our tools are ready to unlock its full-power before purchasing...

It's kind of a general expectation that a new console isn't going to be anywhere near its full potential for a while after launch.

Although this "tools" thing does seem to get overused a bit.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
If current gen is any indication then I don't think so. OG Xbox one is not running games now better than it did at the beginning of the gen. If anything it's running them worse. If the console is struggling with cross-gen games, why should it perform better with full-blown next gen titles?
Uhh it does. Remember when we got 720p games wich ran poorly on the console. Then we got games like RDR2 and Gears 5.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
EoAFWDCXEAA99Vw

Fanboys need to shut the hell up!
god
Why is an A class professional like John responding to random fanboys on Twitter? My boy Dark1x just do your thing and let them waste their breath

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I guess lack of games to compare makes that we analyze games more than one time now. Also interesting that many seem not too notice lowe resolutions thanks to good scaling solutions. Guess this will help all generation. I wonder if this will stop the 'the most powerful console for multiplatform' talk, or will return if things change further into the generation.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
EoAFWDCXEAA99Vw

Fanboys need to shut the hell up!
god
24d0e59984a2f347ae9addb459dd6bbd.gif

The ironic thing? John and Alex literally ASKED THEM not to bother them on Twitter anymore... Yet, they keep doing it. Fucking assholes, the lot of them!

Dark1x, John, I don't know if you are reading this, but please just block these people. Don't bother debating, you will never get through to them. They get a kick out of your reactions and in the end you'll just feel worse. They're poison, man... So just block them, for your own sake.

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
I'm still confused why PS5 would have more frame drops even just in that cutscene, NXG seems to think the alpha effects might be slightly higher.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Seriously. I know it can be tough, but rise above. You're the experts. You're the pros. Let them wallow in their sour fanboy shit. Don't jump in it with them.
Love John, but he's his own worst enemy. His colleagues don't get too deep into the fanboy comments like he does. He either needs to ditch Twitter or get some help with emotions that make him need to comment.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Not checkerboarding, but rather they use TAA to up sample up to a chosen output resolution. It is different because it can work at more arbitrary frame sized (perfect for DRS) and does not leave a sawtooth pattern when it fails.
Curious what your and John's thoughts are about memory management being a possible cause for some of the unexpected performance differentials we have seen. Have you received any more granular information as to what the dev tools are doing that's causing more work or issues for developers? I'm wondering if perhaps the API or drivers aren't properly managing the memory and forcing developers to attempt to manually manage the allocation and scrubbing if ram.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
Can you expect why blops Vold War dips in the 40s on PS5 but stays at a stable 60 on Series X? Did you really go as far as saying it's going to be expected that PS5 will have the advantage all gen long?

It's a bug.

The performance advantage for PS5 has been interesting but it's very slight. This gen is going to be very even as far as performance goes so I don't know why people are getting so worked up about it.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
After playing valhalla and tsushima, im convinced that rockstar used actual sorcery to get their LoD transitions in RDR2 to look so seemless. In valhalla, everything beyond 20 feet looks like textureless muck. Hell, you can see your character switch LoD models by just pulling the camera in a little.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
It's kind of a general expectation that a new console isn't going to be anywhere near its full potential for a while after launch.

Although this "tools" thing does seem to get overused a bit.
Agreed...

but the thing is that that applies to all platforms, not just the XSX.

The way I see it, is that no platform is its best right now, but the PS5 is in a better state than the Xbox consoles. That whole give the tools time argument is the most stupid thing I have been hearing of late, it's not false, but it's blatantly ignorant in how it's used. How the games run today, next month, 3 months from now... should be simply taken at face value. As opposed to this proposed theoretical tools improvements that would no doubt make everything better on the Xbox platforms "one day"...

If right now, it's the XSX performing better.. would anyone be talking about tools?

Both platform's tools would get better, devs would get better at utilizing each platform's strengths as time progresses. This is why I said that the main takeaway from this new patch is that we can see how devs could maintain parity between the two consoles regardless of who is the better performer.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
After playing valhalla and tsushima, im convinced that rockstar used actual sorcery to get their LoD transitions in RDR2 to look so seemless. In valhalla, everything beyond 20 feet looks like textureless muck. Hell, you can see your character switch LoD models by just pulling the camera in a little.
Yeah, the lighting in CB2077, at least on the pre-release footage so far, has a similar problem, shit appears right in front of you lmao.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
You are asking if it needs more GPU memory than a RTX 3080 on PC? The answer is no, as the PC version at higher res doesn't use this much.
Memory management for VRAM on PC is handled by drivers and API it is absolutely possible that the API/driver on the XSX is not managing the money as efficiently as the well iterated systems in place on OC to do this and this would potentially more RAM than the PC due to that.

Others here in the thread are saying that both pools of ram share the same channels which if true would mean that any access to the slower pool of RAM would dramatically reduce the available simultaneous bandwidth for the faster pool and may necessitate a larger memory footprint than the single pool setup for dedicated GPUs in PC.

TLDR: this isn't really an equivalent comparison but even assuming it is there are reasons the memory footprint in the console could be higher than a PC especially one with a dedicated split vram pool with an entirely separate channel for access

They aren't using more than the 10gb vram but the OS, other game logic etc resides in the slower pool of 6gb. Using both pools results in the effective speed of the faster ram being reduced, though it still exceeds the bandwidth of the PS5. It has been tough work trying to discuss this previously in the hardware threads!

The XSX also has an interesting CU setup with its shader arrays which may mean there is more work required to get the most out of them. I guess this is where sub optimal tools plays a big part.
Can you point me towards some documentation or presentation regarding memory bandwidth during simultaneous access or the unique shader arrays/CUs? I'd be curious to read up

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Either the PS5 is punching above its weight or the XSX isn't getting pushed to the max. Either way these comparisons have been the opposite of what I thought was going to happen. 20% is not a crazy difference in performance but it should definitely be helping the XSX have a leg on top of the PS5 in pretty much all the games. So far we've seen the console trade blows and PS5 come on top more often then not. I've read about the tools for XSX being late or something but is there a legit source for that?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The ironic thing? John and Alex literally ASKED THEM not to bother them on Twitter anymore... Yet, they keep doing it. Fucking assholes, the lot of them!

oh yes, because asking nicely on the internet (Twitter no less) always works.

There are only two options to deal with idiots on Twitter: Ignore them or block them. They could even use that new feature that blocks anyone from interacting with your tweets except followers.

This is why I always thought it was weird for insiders/industry types to leave here and go to... Twitter, a place far more toxic than Era could hope to be. I think it had less to do with the fanboyism here (which still was a factor I'm sure) and more with wanting their own audience separate from Era.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Either the PS5 is punching above its weight or the XSX isn't getting pushed to the max. Either way these comparisons have been the opposite of what I thought was going to happen. 20% is not a crazy difference in performance but it should definitely be helping the XSX have a leg on top of the PS5 in pretty much all the games. So far we've seen the console trade blows and PS5 come on top more often then not. I've read about the tools for XSX being late or something but is there a legit source for that?

GPU being clocked higher on PS5 is probably the reason. I imagine it's more complicated to properly saturate the XSX's additional CUs.

This is also why teraflops are a useless metric for gaming.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
I still find the result to be very disappointing on Series S. This is a previous generation game.
The Series S isn't designed with us enthusiasts in mind though. If I get another console this generation, it will undoubtedly be the Series X.

I made a thread about the impact it could have on future games and the answers I recieved from some devs and reliable insiders was:

It will seldom have an impact on the scope of a game. So as long as it sticks to 720p and doesn't affect the ambition of it's bigger 4K brothers, why should we care? The SSD and CPU on the thing will keep things interesting, albeit at much lower resolutions. If people buying it aren't bothered by it, neither should we be.

Unless of course... You own a Series S and were expecting higher resolutions? In which case... Sell it, buy one of the other two.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
Again, this forum is not that technical at all. It's mostly fanboy crap thrown around with no facts. Most people don't try to understand why systems perform a certain way. They see the top level and make their judgment. I wouldn't put too much faith in anything said here.
Lol definitely this. Just a bunch of fakes that have no clue what they are talking about. All that PS5 is ruined talk just to have both NX and DF say nope it's not. Laughable and embarrassing

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

The same reason we've lost so many industry people. Developers shouldn't need to even respond to accusations of being moneyhatted or be harassed for whatever decision they make, but console warriors will continue to be shitty. I can't even begin to tell you the amount of times I see people here doing this shit on Twitter in the most disgusting ways but pretend to be different here for obvious reasons, and of course you can't call them out for off-site behavior as that will make you catch a ban yourself (I learned my lesson a long time ago, lol).

People get tired and move on.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Lol definitely this. Just a bunch of fakes that have no clue what they are talking about. All that PS5 is ruined talk just to have both NX and DF say nope it's not. Laughable and embarrassing
There is a problem with PS5 coming out of rest mode with this game that made the performance worse. John had that also and that was that tweet from him about. Later everyone realized it was a rest mode issues. And the performance was fine still.

Cosmic

Jan 7, 2018
Yep, same. Prefer 60 FPS but the sacrifices are too big of a deal. That 4K is soo crispy plus AC was always kind of a 30 FPS game.
Just out of interest, which areas have you both seen the resolution drop to a point it becomes blurry? I thought it was supposed to be a rare occurrence for it to drop to the lower bounds? I haven't tried it too much but went to a few of the more populated areas, did some raids and went to one of the more problematic areas in terms of performance and screen tearing and the image always stayed very crisp.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I don't believe in that in a second. Dirt 5 dev said that tools are way more stable, mature and faster than XDK.
And others developers are saying the opposite. Phil Spencer is on record stating they wanted until AMD had its entire chipset ready before they finalized hardware. Which was much later than Sony.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm asking for examples of games that ran poorly at 720p at the beginning of this gen. My memory is a bit hazy (and I'm too lazy to go search lol) but I remember cross gen games were running for the most part at 1080p or 900p on current gen titles which is what they're running at right now or worse.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Arguing with stupid is like playing chess with a pigeon, you can play the best game of your life, but the bird will take a shit on the board and strut away like it won anyway.

Big fan of the digital foundry guys, but they really shouldn't respond to fanboys.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
There isn't a clear cut reason. Devil May Cry 5 for example on XBSX outperforms the Ps5 version in 4K quality mode but loses in performance mode which makes zero sense from a technical standpoint.

It's a learning curve with the hardware.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I still find the result to be very disappointing on Series S. This is a previous generation game.

It's an early gen game. But also, just look at the specs. It's a 4 Tflop machine. There are architectural improvements of course but it is not a machine designed to bang out high resolutions. You are getting next gen feature set and framerate at essentially last gen resolutions.

It'll improve but we shouldn't expect miracles either.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I'm asking for examples of games that ran poorly at 720p at the beginning of this gen. My memory is a bit hazy (and I'm too lazy to go search lol) but I remember cross gen games were running for the most part at 1080p or 900p on current gen titles which is what they're running at right now or worse.
Call of Duty Ghost, Battlefield 4, Dead Rising 3. That 720p resolution gate was not good for xbox one in the beginning. Later the xbox one versions of games became alot better.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Plus, the PS5 architecture is "better" at the moment. 36CUs clocked that high are asier to saturate with data than 52 CUs clocked lower. Like Cerny said in the PS5 presentation back in March. I expect this to change soon once devs have gotten used to the Xbox Series Devkits and their Api have matured more.

Remember that Xbone games would run at 720p vs 1080p on PS4. Once devs got used to the Xbone and the Api improved they managed to bump the res to 900 most of thw times. They even managed to reach 1080p on Destiny as well on both machines.

Also PS4 spent some time with Anisotropic Filtering issues untio they managed to fix it. The Xbox One got games with way better AF. In the end Sony managed to fix the problems with AF with I guess came from their API
They're using the same architecture are they not?

acebeam

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 23, 2020
And others developers are saying the opposite. Phil Spencer is on record stating they wanted until AMD had its entire chipset ready before they finalized hardware. Which was much later than Sony.

Which others?

There isn't a clear cut reason. Devil May Cry 5 for example on XBSX outperforms the Ps5 version in 4K quality mode but loses in performance mode which makes zero sense from a technical standpoint.

It's a learning curve with the hardware.

So, tools aren't a problem for a Capcom i presume

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

I realized to just wait for DF or NXgamer after the BOTW patch came out and everyone claimed the game looked worse as a result. Then they both came out and were like "naw, it looks identical". I had placebo effect too. Now I just wait for the experts to weigh in.

People here know enough to generally not say absolute non sense (though console launches really bring out the dumb) but there is still a chasm of difference between actual professionals and forum enthusiasts.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Call of Duty Ghost, Battlefield 4, Dead Rising 3. That 720p resolution gate was not good for xbox one in the beginning. Later the xbox one versions of games became alot better.
Huh, didn't know the games ran this poorly at the beginning of this gen. Hopefully the same happen this gen and game runs better than they do now.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
They're using the same architecture are they not?
Both are based on the same hardware architecture, but both companies customized the design. Moreover, those two platforms use different compiles both for game code and shaders, meaning that it's hard to compare the two.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
The Series S isn't designed with us enthusiasts in mind though. If I get another console this generation, it will undoubtedly be the Series X.

I made a thread about the impact it could have on future games and the answers I recieved from some devs and reliable insiders was:

It will seldom have an impact on the scope of a game. So as long as it sticks to 720p and doesn't affect the ambition of it's bigger 4K brothers, why should we care? The SSD and CPU on the thing will keep things interesting, albeit at much lower resolutions. If people buying it aren't bothered by it, neither should we be.

Unless of course... You own a Series S and were expecting higher resolutions? In which case... Sell it, buy one of the other two.
It's an early gen game. But also, just look at the specs. It's a 4 Tflop machine. There are architectural improvements of course but it is not a machine designed to bang out high resolutions. You are getting next gen feature set and framerate at essentially last gen resolutions.

It'll improve but we shouldn't expect miracles either.

I expected last generation games to be the only ones to reach 4k/60fps on the big machines; not a crazy expectation, it should even be the floor honestly. The Series S being roughly 1/3 of the Series X, if we go by the numbers, expecting 1080p/60fps isn't crazy either. I was on the market for an xbox series S, but I'm going to cautiously wait until next year to see if things improve or not.

The PS5 seems to roughly perform as expected however, but I have no interest in owning a PlayStation, or any next generation console without gamepass.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

But so did PS4 games too. In the end the resolution difference between the Xbox One and PS4 never changed, it just swapped from being mostly 720p vs 900p at launch, to 900p vs 1080p later in the gen, to now being back to 720p vs 900p all over again.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny how Ubisoft constantly gets shit on for their graphics and technology, but when their apparent incompetence can be weaponized in the console wars, all that is seemingly forgotten. Because hey, fucking physics aren't even valid anymore when you can secret sauce your way to justifying your purchase.

This is a previous generation game built on legacy technology. Both platforms could easily handle this game at 4k/60 if Ubisoft had more time to optimize their engine for the new systems. Why are you guys even bothering with this shit?