Oct 29, 2017
I got attacked from left and right (and even a ban) saying the S would probably struggle especially at the end of the generation to play games at 1080p and we probably would see 900p games being common but were told that was never going to be the case and now less than a month in we are seeing 720p here and even lower in other titles.
How much should we expect out of $300 console though . I mean unless you can get better for $300 Im not to upset about it

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
This makes the conspiracy theories from the last thread even more insane. Goes to show we really don't know shit until DF takes a look.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
This makes the conspiracy theories from the last thread even more insane. Goes to show we really don't know shit until DF takes a look.
Again, this forum is not that technical at all. It's mostly fanboy crap thrown around with no facts. Most people don't try to understand why systems perform a certain way. They see the top level and make their judgment. I wouldn't put too much faith in anything said here.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see a consistent 60fps.A few less pixels doesn't matter to me.My only problem is that there is no way i can finish this before Cyberpunk 2077 so i guess i will play it around January

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
a lot of people ate up the marketing machine.

I for one am glad of series s. It's a great gamepass machine. But LOL @ 1440p60

It's really early with series s. I expect things to improve drastically with it. It's more powerful than Xbox one X by a significant margin and there is no reason not to think things won't improve.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see a consistent 60fps.A few less pixels doesn't matter to me.My only problem is that there is no way i can finish this before Cyberpunk 2077 so i guess i will play it around January

Lol same here. I am playing it now. But when it is dec 10. This game will be for later again haha.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
Haven't had a chance to watch but if you own both a series X and PS5 is the better platform to buy on the PS5?

I presume the PS5 resolution does not drop as much as the Series X?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
a lot of people ate up the marketing machine.

I for one am glad of series s. It's a great gamepass machine. But LOL @ 1440p60
I think its weird people are saying this only about the Series S. Yet the Series X doesnt hit 4k/60 at all also. But nobody says a thing. Yet they market 4k/60.
I am fine with all. Bit i think the focus only on series s is weird.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Getting stable framerates is much more important than locking resolution this early in the gen.

As reconstruction techniques improve (with both MS' and AMD's solutions coming in 2021), 1440p will become 4k, 720p will become 1080p. And those games will still be 60fps.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
But at the same time, people don't know what to complain about until they watch the DF video. People are already bitching about them lowering the base resolution to hit the framerate target on XSX, but they never would have seen the difference themselves, and never would have known about it at all if not for DF.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
All versions use TAA, DRS and checkerboarding. Atleast in performance mode.

Ah, thanks for the heads up. I guess it spent on too many moments in DF's analysis closer to its lowest resolution bounds because it is very notable (as opposed to the momentary 1188p's on XSX). Well, as John said, it is good to have options.

I never got the flack for baked lighting. I wish we could get another stunner like Unity visually.

You can't author baked solutions with true dynamic lighting systems. Suffice it to say, a true next gen AC will likely be able to attain Unity like fidelity even with dynamic ToD by way of dynamic GI systems (Unreal engine evolved their Voxel based GI into the latest tech called, Lumen).

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Getting stable framerates is much more important than locking resolution this early in the gen.

As reconstruction techniques improve (with both MS' and AMD's solutions coming in 2021), 1440p will become 4k, 720p will become 1080p. And those games will still be 60fps.
This. To be fair this happened alot since last gen already. yet people focus way to much on native resolutions like its 2013.
The reconstruction techniques are getting really good.

Dec 8, 2018
Because i am free to do? I just talked about the 720p and lowest res 1100p on Series X. I didnt say anything about you being attacked in the past.

I mean sure you are free to comment on any posts but I would think the rational thing to do if you are replying to a post is to reply to what is actually said in the post? Like if your point have nothing to do with what was said why reply and not just create a new thread post?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I mean sure you are free to comment on any posts but I would think the rational thing to do if you are replying to a post is to reply to what is actually said in the post? Like if your point have nothing to do with what was said why reply and not just create a new thread post?
Not sure really what the issue is. I think i will move on.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Why is the XSX having to scale lower resolutions than PS5 to keep stable frame rates? Is it a memory bandwidth issue maybe? Perhaps the game requires use of more than 10gb of system memory for GPU functions

You are asking if it needs more GPU memory than a RTX 3080 on PC? The answer is no, as the PC version at higher res doesn't use this much.

The gen isn't a month old yet. You can speculate all you want, but the simple answer is: it's early. This is the best they could optimize their game with their current proficiency in the GDK. It's nice they had such a quick turn around to improve the experience for people without VRR TVs.
So concerns over the PS5 performance were FUD?

Good to know. Sticking to performance mode.

Also, it'll be funny to see the fanboys suddenly realize the lower res now when they never did before.

As for the dynamic res change, I definitely did not notice it on my CX. Game looks identical to me pre and post patch, though I had VRR so no tearing in the first place. Just further proof that aspiring for native 4k is dumb. Performance mode every time.

If you want to talk about Concern, look no further than the people who worry their hearts out about technical details of Series S versions of games. It's a console they'd never buy and never planned to buy, but I'm sure the Series S owners who are busy just playing video games appreciate that there are brave people being concerned on their behalf.

Thats my point though.

Red Dead 2 was native 4k@30.
Valhalla is native4k@30.

RedDead looks better and run on a hardware more than twice as weak.

I know we have a pandemic. Why not delay the game then?

Different games, different art, different engines, vastly different development budgets.

You're basically asking them to delay the game so they can completely redo all the art because you like RDR2's art more. By the time they do that they can do new art for an entirely new game, so no.

DF comparison threads are wild.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting that the XSX version has to drop to a lower resolution than the PS5 in order to maintain performance parity. Also good to know the PS5 version hasn't been nerfed, though other comparisons do show the PS5 does tear a touch more than it did pre-patch, and NXGamer also seems to believe the PS5 version has slightly better alpha effects than the XSX version, which is also weird.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I swear I've noticed a lot of cutscene tearing since the patch on PS5. It's obvious to see as well.

maybe I should restart my console and see if that helps. I have been rest mode resuming for days now.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
TL;DW
  • PS5 didn't change much after the update, the only noticeable change is in the first cutscene, where the game dips a few more fps than on the launch patch.
  • Flawless FPS and waaaaaay less tearing on cutscenes on the XSX, only a handful and mainly due abrupt camera change, this improvement came because:
  • Lower button resolution for XSX changed, before it was 1440P and now is 1188p, which was DF's suggestion for fix the tearing/frame drops and it worked!
  • Quality mode added, a good and nice addition for those who don't ''need'' the 60FPS.
  • Performance mode for the 60 Series S added, with the lowest resolution being 720P and it runs around 800P on gameplay, drops to 720 aren't uncommon.
  • Performance mode on the S runs well but FPS drops happens, for example on the Torch scene and on other scenes even at 720P, which shows other bottlenecks other than GPU's.
  • A very nice addition overall since it was unexpected.
I think that's it.
was there any fix on that weird studdering 360 camera panning during cutscene that they mention for series machine on the prev video?

bert muscle

Aug 15, 2018
People need to relax. The modern AC games are demanding for what they are, have been since Origins. I checked out an RTX 3070 1080p benchmark yesterday, Odyssey at ultra would often dip into the 60s. Just to reiterate, that's at 1080p.

Here you have a console (Series X) that, although not ultra, runs consistently above 1080p at a near 60 lock. Worst case being 1188p with resolution frequently hovering north of that.

That's not even throwing in factors like early gen, the pandemic, or the fact you can buy a Series X for £50 cheaper than an RTX 3070! Wait, what? There's a £250 console that is also hitting 60 around 1080p!?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
The gen isn't a month old yet. You can speculate all you want, but the simple answer is: it's early. This is the best they could optimize their game with their current proficiency in the GDK. It's nice they had such a quick turn around to improve the experience for people without VRR TVs.

I find it amazing how people are already writing post mortems for a generation that isn't a month old lol.

Cross gen launch titles developed during a pandemic, with console hardware developed and released during a pandemic, are hardly any indication of what XSX/XSS or PS5 are capable of.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
DF didn't flag any concerns with the Series S struggling as the generation goes on, and in fact even said it's not the anti DF console people might expect them to see it as

The marketing was just that, marketing, and it's not going to be a 1440 60fps machine, but the 4k twins don't seem to be hitting their marketing either as 4k 60fps machines

Or it could be we need to wait for games that are built just for this generation before we can tell how things will work. Most games DF have looked at so far are cross gen games built around last gen specs and then scaled up to make the most of the newer systems

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
And what does that have to do with me being attacked for saying the series s was probably not going to be a 1440p machine this entire gen?

I don't know why you think that this video is some sort of vindication for you but in my opinion it is the exact opposite. Now that the big consoles have a 30 fps mode we can compare them with the S version directly. The big consoles do 4k30 and XSS has a dynamic resolution that bottoms out at just below 1200p and goes as high as 1600p. Why do you think that this sort of result proves you right?

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
652-E2-B3-E-DA37-41-E2-A18-B-BF35-FE1-BC734.jpg

160666763747384670.jpg

18-B5284-B-76-EC-49-AA-A96-E-99-A96-C6-A5843.jpg
joke

So many tricks to make up for native resolution these days that it's all but a worthless discussion avenue apart from discussing these awesome techniques No one plays screenshots so performance should always be number 1.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
I think its weird people are saying this only about the Series S. Yet the Series X doesnt hit 4k/60 at all also. But nobody says a thing. Yet they market 4k/60.
I am fine with all. Bit i think the focus only on series s is weird.

Maybe because we hadn't seen 720p since the PS3/x360 Era. I mean, Come on now, people here and journalists have been saying that that the series S would be a 1440p machine, or even 1080p which would be fine.. but it's already struggling two weeks After its release. And ACV is not even pushing the boundaries

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The best trade off! I can't see any resolution dips at all, just a lot smoother framerate 👍

Oct 30, 2017
So concerns over the PS5 performance were FUD?

Good to know. Sticking to performance mode.

Also, it'll be funny to see the fanboys suddenly realize the lower res now when they never did before.
The fanboys don't gotta pretend to even see the difference. So long as they can see they have the resolution advantage, it's good enough lol

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe because we hadn't seen 720p since the PS3/x360 Era. I mean, Come on now, people here and journalists have been saying that that the series S would be a 1440p machine, or even 1080p which would be fine.. but it's already struggling two weeks After its release. And ACV is not even pushing the boundaries
Uhh we seen alot of 720p early last gen. Xbox One was famous for it in the beginning.
The Series X is "struggling" with this game also. And is not even close to 4K at 60fps and nobody cares. Think the focus on the series s is weird.
The game looks good on all platforms and pretty solid 60fps in a open world game. For a launch game we should be very happy.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I swear I've noticed a lot of cutscene tearing since the patch on PS5. It's obvious to see as well.

maybe I should restart my console and see if that helps. I have been rest mode resuming for days now.
I haven't tried rest mode with this patch, but before it rest mode tanked my framerate after resuming. I turned the PS5 off and back on and it was fine after, never used rest mode again since.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Played for 4 or 5 hours last night on PS5 and there's still screen tearing in most cutscenes. It's not there at all during gameplay so it's not a big deal, but it's frustrating they didn't fix this in the most recent patch for PS5.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
And it's 60fps lol. It's crazy to think that just a month ago half the board thought that open world AAA at 60fps was impossible. Now we're seeing it in BC and in games marginally optimized for next gen.
People also thought we wouldnt see any raytracing on the next gen consoles also a while back. And the consoles already surprised us with that also. Gonna be a great gen.