djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
My dad is pretty cool.
He grew up with R&B, funk, and soul, then picked up an appreciation for classic rock while he was at West Point in the late 70s.
As a result, my musical knowledge spans a lot of that. I can jam to the Gap Band on moment, then air guitar to Derek and the Dominos the next.

I picked up a lot of classical appreciation after I wanted to join the symphonic band in middle school and decided to play the Oboe (which I stuck with all the way through college). We were tasked back then to explore the breadth of classical composers and find something you like. I discovered Georges Bizet and he's been my favorite composer since. During this, my dad revealed that he had a pretty extensive collection of classical music on casettes, which kinda blew my mind.

Last edited:

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ah, yes, the "Cool Dad". The dad who never stopped listening to the mainstream crap he listened to in high school.

My dad was an emotionally unavailable anger machine, but at least he constantly listened to new stuff in addition to his old favourites.

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
My dad developed schizophrenia when I was young and decided that he was Jesus -- he's doing better now, thankfully. He also introduced me to Bruce Springsteen, and we're going to see Bad Religion in April. Definitely a mixed-bag dad.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My father was and is trash so no.

He liked Classic Rock i remember, i don't care to be honest.

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
1. I'm old enough to be her father. Those had a lot of radio play in my late teens/early twenties.
2. My dad is cool, he listened to Beatles, Black Sabbath, Eric Clapton, some Elvis and Van Halen, Joe Satriani and grunge. He performed that stuff in a band too.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I mean my dad grew weed, rode a motocycle, and listed to Outkast, so yeah he's fucking cool

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Very cool but had his demons and that being alcohol which eventually killed him. Besides that he was probably one of the smartest dudes I knew who didn't even have a high school education. Introduced me to a ton of different kinds of foods, movies, and books as a kid.

Wasn't always pleasant, but I still miss him.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. He wasn't mean or anything but was absolutely not interested in being grounded in a family. He's a nomad at heart and can't stay at one place for long. We still keep in touch from times to times but I don't have a particularly deep bound with him.

Techno