pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Sophomore in high school there was this one guy who had a 1 year old daugther. I think he knew all the cool songs at the time.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
My dad was a lazy stoner. He didn't provide for the family and didn't want to work a real job. So not really.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I didn't know my dad but I do know he loves the band Asia so no, his taste is as shit as he is as a person.

Other than Animal I Have Become I probably downloaded all the rest of the songs on Kazaa.

Jeffolation

Shinra Employee
Oct 30, 2017
Very uncool dad, didn't listen to music and would only watch the odd western on sundays. Kinda glad for that in a way.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
No cool dad, no. Divorced when I was 8 and I lived with my mom, but I know all those songs like basically any person old enough in the mid 2000s who liked rock or listened to the radio should know.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Half those songs were bad when they debuted, and I say that as someone that listened to way too much of it growing up. Who the fuck is listening to Trapt past their2002.

Deleted member 42102

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
I had a cool pops till he was murdered.

I know all those songs cus I watched a lot of AMVs when I was bored + my older sister had an emo phase.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My dad was a alcoholic who tried forcing me to like the things he liked and tried extremely hard doing so.

He wants to be there for me. But the more I got older the more I saw I have nothing in common with him, the more destructive and damaging I saw if I kept him too close, and he has became an evil more prideful man (with the bad kind of pride) later in life. He thinks he's wise and all-knowing and wants to bestow all knowledge of how the world is trying to fuck me at any moment. Is insanely obsessed in his Ancient Aliens show like it's a bible. And is a proud Trump supporter.

Can't say my Dad was ever cool but he always believed he was.

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
Once, when i was entertaining some friends, we were like 11 or 12, my dad came into the room drunk and demanded a turn. I was kicking ass on Skate or Die and told him to wait a sec so he grabbed the controller and whipped it along with the nes and the tv connected to it into the wall and screamed at all the kids that werent his to get the fuck out. That days beating sucked.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Not the best, not the worst. My mom had to hide all his financial incompetence from my siblings and I, and he still gaslights her to this day. But she didn't divorce him only because of Catholicism... but he gave me snickers bar in my lunch every once in a while.

He also stole my credit card information a couple times.

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
He dropped me into the pens at zoo and let me pet baby kangaroos. Also let me drive, handle a gun and taught me how to make bombs as well as pancakes at five.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody here is even ready for the story about my dad. My last thread was the tip of the iceberg. In short, no I didn't.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Wtf, I'm the dad?! I'm only 26 ffs, but those are all song In grew up with!

*Existential crisis intensifies*

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck I'm getting old.

Cool in a traditional sense. No. Cool to me, the cooliest. I still hang out with him whenever I can.

Deleted member 61002

Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Setting aside the fact that listening to a certain type of music has nothing to do with "cool dad" stuff...

I'm not even sure I understand them meaning behind it? A lot of these things came out in the mid 2000's and most 20-somethings probably listened to it. Unless her Dad is WAY older or she is way younger than she looks, it makes zero sense.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call my dad "cool". He just is.

... though he certainly had better taste in music than this (classic rock, blues and jazz)

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
My dad is awesome, we weren't rich but he knew how to build shit. You would step in our backyard and think we were loaded by all the shit we built. We never paid anyone for anything. We did everything our selves and I'm pretty proud of that.

I'm talking about silly shit too like waking up on a Friday morning and eating breakfast to a pile of sketches, and then being woken up the next morning to a buzz saw and a pile of wood...

"Dad what are you doing"
"Oh we are going to build a elevated train track that will run through the whole house and hang down from the ceiling"

Like random shit...

Music wise....Michael Jackson, Billy Joel, early Mariah Carey before she became a diva (this was mid 80's/early 90's)

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
My parents didn't really listen to music. The radio was always on but the record player (or the CD player) was never on

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
My kids are gonna think I'm lame as fuck.

I'm ready for it. I'm gonna lame it up. I cant wait to get my dad outfit going.

Polo shirt tucked into some cargo shorts and the freshest, whitest dad shoes you've ever seen.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
those songs i listened to as an angry little teenager wearing eyeliner and baggy trousers while riding my skateboard.

anyway, of course i thought my dad was cool. thanks to my dad i grew up listening to amazing bands like queen, pink floyd, the jam, the clash, etc. also, if it wasn't for him i wouldn't have the love i do for video games. i just wish i got to spend more time with him.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Nope. Divorced and moved 3000 miles away when I was 13 and shacked up with a lawyer who helped him get out of paying any child support. I saw him 7 times in the next 39 years before he died. Granted, and I told him this last time we spoke a few months before he died, if he'd done anything differently, I would not have my wife or son. It would be different people and I'd be a different person. I might not have a son at all, since it was my wife's insurance that afforded us the opportunity to do IVF and it was me that was firing mostly blanks.

Also, my parents always listened to uninspiring music. It wasn't important at all to my dad and my mom was very much of the Celine Dion variety. How I ended up a bad-ass guitar player with a solid foundation in classic rock, funk, prog rock, alternative rock, and jam rock, with a deep appreciation for almost everything else, I have no idea. I certainly didn't get it from my dad. I remember hearing all of those songs on the radio when I was 30. I'm old.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, old feelings. I went to highschool with cool dads, they wore the same Staind shirt™ every day.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My dad is awesome, we weren't rich but he knew how to build shit. You would step in our backyard and think we were loaded by all the shit we built. We never paid anyone for anything. We did everything our selves and I'm pretty proud of that.

I'm talking about silly shit too like waking up on a Friday morning and eating breakfast to a pile of sketches, and then being woken up the next morning to a buzz saw and a pile of wood...

"Dad what are you doing"
"Oh we are going to build a elevated train track that will run through the whole house and hang down from the ceiling"

Like random shit...

Music wise....Michael Jackson, Billy Joel, early Mariah Carey before she became a diva (this was mid 80's/early 90's)

We need a dad appreciation thread.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
My dad listened to classical music only. I once discovered an ABBA record in his collection. That was his one "cool" moment.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
My Dad listened to Eagles, Beatles, MLTR, and the likes.

And he 100% Crash Bandicoot 1, 2, and 3. And Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I'm a bastard so I missed out on the dad experience. No ragrets though:)

I found dad rock on my own plus I was a teenager and 20ish guy when all those songs came out.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I was in my early to mid 20's when most of those came out. Gonna have to assume that her dad is around my age.

...Christ I'm old.

And no, I did not have a cool dad growing up by any standard, including this one. In fact I probably wouldn't bother talking to him if it wouldn't crush my mom.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
My father mostly listened to soul and r&b.

This is the stuff I still listen to. lol

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
No. He gave me a love of history and music, but beside that he wasn't very good at the father thing.

Never gave a shit about my school work or how I was performing at school and just let me do as I wanted. He always put himself first, even above his wife and children. He regrets it now, but now it is too late to be sorry. Not a cool dad.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't grow up with my dad because he wasn't home but he still taught me better music than that.