• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I watched it twice in japan and all I got was one white dude yelling out a little bit at one hype moment.

When I watched other marvel films in Australia there have been a few gasps and the occasional scream, but never clapping and never more than a momentary thing.

Joelington

Sep 13, 2019
Canada
The only film I've ever attended where members of the audience clapped or cheered was Star Wars: The Force Awakens... It ruined the entire experience.
Thankfully, I live in a sane place where, for the most part, people stay quiet during movies, AS THEY SHOULD.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
"Did fans in the UK ( and other places) really not clap at any point during Infinity War?"

yep, thankfully. I would hate to live in America and have to wait for the DVD release or risk missing audio!

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
We get laughing, maybe the occasional gasp in cinemas. Nobody is clapping or cheering unless it's a midnight premiere or some sort of special event.

When people say they were crying or cheering or amazed by blockbuster films I just can't relate. Sometimes it makes me think I'm dead inside, then I remember that I feel those emotions but just not in this context.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine buying a ticket to watch a film only got get a bunch of people screaming over the movie. I would have walked out and asked for my money back if that happened to me while watching that movie.

Ruining a movie for others by making noise is pathetic.

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I'd stop going to the cinema entirely if the audience started whooping and clapping at everything. I want to enjoy a movie, not endure a bunch of loud twats for 2 hours.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I was born and raised in the Netherlands, and I moved to Japan in 2006.
The ONLY time I have EVER seen people cheer/clap at a movie was at the end of the Return of the King.

Ever thought about how weird clapping is? Slapping your palms together to express support

Yes I have and it's kind of bizarre, lol.
Weird also that it's one of those things that seems to transcend culture (except when you do it at a movie theater, obvs :p).

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Australian here. I have never heard anyone clap in a cinema. Why the fuck would you? It's not a live audience.

This is another one of those weird American things like tipping.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It could have been a new thread with "did audience cheered during Endgame?"

And yeah, cheers, laughs, gasps, that kind of stuff. No clapping, maybe during the portals scene but not very loud.

Tektonic

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a friend come into king of monsters.. I said sit with us. The first time he started slapping his thigh and whooping, I regretted acknowledging his presence.

Australia btw.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully, no. Sometimes people clap as credits roll for some reason but that's about it.

Only time I remember people clapping and cheering during the movie was for the Star Wars Special Editions, where it was safe to assume most people had seen the originals.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
huh? y'all really never see people clap or cheer at a good scene in a theater? it's definitely rare, but opening weekend in a packed theater for a big event movie?

i love that communal element of the cinema, it's been lost a bit.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
huh? y'all really never see people clap or cheer at a good scene in a theater? it's definitely rare, but opening weekend in a packed theater for a big event movie?

i love that communal element of the cinema, it's been lost a bit.
Been to midnight openings for a few big comic book movies and never. British people are just more reserved.

Clapping sounds weird to me. Who are you clapping to? The directors aren't there.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Australian here. I've never seen people clap at a cinema. It's probably because we understand it's not a live performance and clapping at inanimate silver screen is fucking stupid.

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
In the UK

nobody said a fucking word
nobody ever says a goddamn thing when we watch shit okay

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Since when did this meme that all Americans clap during movies become accepted as reality?
not clap during but definitely cheer or gasp loudly and then clap at the end. only really for opening weekend of big event movies but i feel like it's one of the attractions of going to the theater?

funny enough the last movie i remember people doing this was The Last Jedi. the hate for that movie was really invented after the fact, by and large the general audience loved it

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Been to midnight openings for a few big comic book movies and never. British people are just more reserved.

Clapping sounds weird to me. Who are you clapping to? The directors aren't there.
that's not the point. the point is the creation of the experience of 'cinema'. applause was standard in the early days. it's about the creation of a rapport between your fellow audience members, the energy from all having experienced something together, even if you all leave and return to your normal lives. it's the difference between going to the movies and a bunch of people sitting in a room watching something on a screen.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a dumbass Marvel movie. Who the fuck claps?

This board has some weirdass boner for MCU movies in general.

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm English, and I've only heard my local cinema break out in applause two times.
1) Captain America holding the thing.
2) The Rube Goldberg gym payoff in Final Destination 3.

...I also clapped by myself at the end of Spider-Man: Far From Home.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do MCU fans think their films are at some level of the greatest directors and not just capitalist high budget junk? Who the fuck is gonna be clapping for this shit?

Ya'll even have sales figures threads constantly. Like who gives a fuck?

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
that's not the point. the point is the creation of the experience of 'cinema'. applause was standard in the early days. it's about the creation of a rapport between your fellow audience members, the energy from all having experienced something together, even if you all leave and return to your normal lives. it's the difference between going to the movies and a bunch of people sitting in a room watching something on a screen.
That makes sense. When the audience laughs at a scene or audibly gasps at something, that's enough for me. The reaction of the audience throughout the movie gives me that experience, clapping goes a bit far though.

Maybe I just need to watch a movie in America and see how it is for myself lol.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Others have posted about Japan, but I'd like to provide a bit more insight.

99% of Japanese people will sit through the entirety of the end credits and beyond – until the very last logo has faded out. In dead silence and totally still. You can hear a pin drop at times. The lights will fade in which is the cue for people to start gathering their belongings and heading out.

The only time I have heard people make noise in a movie theatre is during special "make noise" events (Bohemian Rhapsody sing-along for instance (where probably 2 patrons sang as one waved a glow stick)). Oh, and very rarely by some unaccustomed foreigner who is usuall silenced by his own shame in the realisation that he is the only person who just made a stupid noise.

AwareSnake

Oct 27, 2017

99% of Japanese people will sit through the entirety of the end credits and beyond – until the very last logo has faded out. In dead silence and totally still. You can hear a pin drop at times. The lights will fade in which is the cue for people to start gathering their belongings and heading out.

The only time I have heard people make noise in a movie theatre is during special "make noise" events (Bohemian Rhapsody sing-along for instance (where probably 2 patrons sang as one waved a glow stick)). Oh, and very rarely by some unaccustomed foreigner who is usuall silenced by his own shame in the realisation that he is the only person who just made a stupid noise.
Correct. Which is an issue when watching something like Guardians 2 and being the only people in the theatre to laugh.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Sounds like heaven.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Only clap after the ending of a masterpiece.
I went to a dance performance last week and stupid audience wouldn't stop clapping and cheering DURING the performance which was annoying as f.

oldboss

Shinra Employee
Nov 9, 2017

As things should be!

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That makes sense. When the audience laughs at a scene or audibly gasps at something, that's enough for me. The reaction of the audience throughout the movie gives me that experience, clapping goes a bit far though.

Maybe I just need to watch a movie in America and see how it is for myself lol.
sure, and i'm not referring to clapping at specific scenes, I think the thread has moved on from that. but clapping at the end? for sure. it's rare, but it makes those movies where it does happen feel a bit more special.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
My endgame audience didn't cheer/clap either

southern Louisiana fwiw. I think folks who waited in line on opening night probably did—those are some motivated people

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
sure, and i'm not referring to clapping at specific scenes, I think the thread has moved on from that. but clapping at the end? for sure. it's rare, but it makes those movies where it does happen feel a bit more special.
Special because you don't usually put your head in your hands out of embarrassment at the end of a film?

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm assuming op went to one of those screenings where everyone dressed up and cheered and shouted during the whole movie. No thank you I'll continue to watch on my home theatre

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, anyone who clapped at this thing should never be allowed within 15 feet of a theatre again. The only time clapping has ever been acceptable in a theatre was during the last dragon ball movie.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I've been going to the cinema in the UK for 30 years. I've never experienced anybody clapping during any film. Laughing during funny moments is fine, but everything else just pulls away from the immersive experience of the cinema. It's just not a thing in the UK.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, silence is basically the baseline for the cinema experience here, it's great, unless you've fucked up and managed to go to a screening with a bunch of kids or teenagers in it.

Anyway, have you seen how we clap in this country? It's not very hype at all:

tenor.gif