• Both rough: error 37, queues for hours, servers on fire

Votes: 101 26.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the "let's slow them down so they can reach end game much slower because we don't have any" approach.
Yup. And the season twist is not really something that can add more to the endgame, so it's in their best interest to make it harder to reach it. I still can't believe we have XP bonuses with the season AND XP nerfs at the same time.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, so Blizzard is going to kill D4 just as quickly as they did with OW2 with horrible balancing patches. I'm always amazed how bad they are at running a live service game. They genuinely cannot balance shit properly to save their lives.

It's funny because that patch weeks ago where it was all buffs was met with so many people who were like "wow Blizz is so nice, they didn't nerf anything!!!" but like...it was so obvious they were going to do this and nerf the hell out of virtually everything come S1. They don't want us to have fun with the game.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
My tinfoil is that they nuked all XP sources BECAUSE Season Pass has baked in those +% XP things you can unlock with those ashes. They wanted things to stay as they are-ish and not give actual XP gain boosts to progression.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
It seems similar to what Chris has said many, many times with PoE and his constant desire to slow down that game.

They really feel that people playing fast will quit very quickly and then never spend money in the shop. So they'll do what they can to prevent it.

But for me, if it's fun I will actually play longer and try alts and have fun with them too. But I guess Blizz and GGG have data that says I'm in the minority.

Oct 25, 2017
To me, I think that the idea is that it should just be hard to play at the top levels of the game as an objective unto itself. They want you to engage with it as a game, consider where your character is and what your cooldowns are, rather than treating it as a box that spits out loot or other forms of progress when you press a button. That seems fine to me. If I wanted to just progress all the time at increasingly rapid rates, there's a trillion and one idle games out there. Having to actually exert effort to play optimally has a lot of appeal.

I am increasingly recognizing that this is a minority opinion, lol. And that's fine! A lot of people are in it for the power fantasy, which is, it has to be said, extremely understandable and probably the right way to balance the game. But I think that that's where the devs are at, for now at least.
But that is the thing Poodlestrike Diablo 4 is not that game. You are basically out gearing and out 'build/spec' the game, you are trying to stack as much vulnerable, critical strike, unstoppable, etc. to get passed the barriers they put in place. This isn't Elden Ring where you bang your head against the boss learning the mechanics to finally overcome.

What they are trying to accomplish with the game doesn't mesh with the game they have created. I notice specifically they aren't adjusted monster damage, monster CC, monster health, etc. to go hand and hand with these nerfs.

Diablo 3 was vastly better at this balance...that is saying something.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe! The giant list of bug fixes certainly makes it likely that a lot of the frustration points aren't intentional. And other stuff, like the increased cast time on "leave dungeon" feels a lot like padding.

I think that's what stuff like the "damage reduction when CC'd" and "reduce CC time" stats are for, but nobody builds those because it's easier to just kill everything on the screen and move on rather than having to deal with getting hit, or just skipping nightmare dungeons with the freezing modifiers, lol.
You act that stuff works. I have triple damage mitigation from close far and poisoned enemies on chest pants and amulet and it doesn't do shit to save me..not including defensive aspects.

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think that's what stuff like the "damage reduction when CC'd" and "reduce CC time" stats are for, but nobody builds those because it's easier to just kill everything on the screen and move on rather than having to deal with getting hit, or just skipping nightmare dungeons with the freezing modifiers, lol.

They are not used because they are not useful. Those things are not going to save my Sorc of getting one-shotted by an enemy at the edge of the screen or by an elite pack that spawned on top of me. I don't think the solution to make those things useful should be nerfing every other form of damage reduction.

May 9, 2018
It seems similar to what Chris has said many, many times with PoE and his constant desire to slow down that game.

They really feel that people playing fast will quit very quickly and then never spend money in the shop. So they'll do what they can to prevent it.

But for me, if it's fun I will actually play longer and try alts and have fun with them too. But I guess Blizz and GGG have data that says I'm in the minority.
…. This is not at all like Chris slowing poe down. This is the first fucking season and the game was already so boring and slow.

PoE spent years giving players power and it spent a couple patches to slow things down, yes. But even at our current point right now in PoE we are already stronger and faster than ever before. You notice a pattern emerging?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
But that is the thing Poodlestrike Diablo 4 is not that game. You are basically out gearing and out 'build/spec' the game, you are trying to stack as much vulnerable, critical strike, unstoppable, etc. to get passed the barriers they put in place. This isn't Elden Ring where you bang your head against the boss learning the mechanics to finally overcome.

What they are trying to accomplish with the game doesn't mesh with the game they have created. I notice specifically they aren't adjusted monster damage, monster CC, monster health, etc. to go hand and hand with these nerfs.

Diablo 3 was vastly better at this balance...that is saying something.
I think that they want it to be that game, though. And that I'm okay with that want, and that I think it'd be slick if they managed it. I don't think that they're there, and I don't think that most other people agree with me. It's just my opinion.
You act that stuff works. I have triple damage mitigation from close far and poisoned enemies on chest pants and amulet and it doesn't do shit to save me.
Yeah but the numbers get bigger the more specific the DR source is, generally.

Note that I'm note saying that the game is well balanced, just that I think that this is where they're trying to aim (and that I'm cool with that aim, personally, but that I get that a lot of other people probably aren't and that's fine).

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the player base tanks this season. Blizz needs to understand a patch like this is not acceptable.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
…. This is not at all like Chris slowing poe down. This is the first fucking season and the game was already so boring and slow.

PoE spent years giving players power and it spent a couple patches to slow things down, yes. But even at our current point right now in PoE we are already stronger and faster than ever before. You notice a pattern emerging?
Yeah I agree but I think the mindset, from a monetary perspective on their part, is what's similar I feel. It's very obvious from the outset at launch that they keep trying to slow down D4 even though it was slow at the start. They want it even slower. I can't fathom a reason other than something financially incentivizing this.

Jinsaryko

Oct 27, 2017

There's a big difference between GGG and Blizzard though. GGG spent years speeding up the game and had no choice but to dial back some of the power creep. We're only two months into D4 and they decided it was a good time to pull a GGG. Plus people put up with GGG's bullshit because their leagues are usually bangers. D4 season 1 looks, to be honest, dull as hell. You add the oops all nerfs patch to it and well...

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
They really nerfed vuln damage, cooldown reduction in general, and did nothing to offset the nerfs. So content is just going to be slower and more annoying to get through than before. For all classes, not just Sorc. I thought games were supposed to get more fun with new updates but I guess that's why I don't run a game studio. They're playing some 4D chess with these decisions. They must be, because they certainly aren't playing D4, lol.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone more objective and smarter than myself explain the The Occulus teleport to random location mechanic? What would've a game design team been thinking of when coming up with and deciding on it? Help me understand.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to be conspiratorial or miss align their intentions but it really does feel that way. Basically:
  • Slow down progression to keep engagement higher for longer to increase engagement with the monetization
  • Slow down progression because your endgame activities are barebones
Just my opinion.
Can someone more objective and smarter than myself explain the The Occulus teleport to random location mechanic? What would've a game design team been thinking of when coming up with and deciding on it? Help me understand.
Honestly, I think the entirety of the Sorcerer development was made way earlier compared to every other class in the game. It honestly feels like the entire kit, gear, uniques, etc. were designed when Diablo 4 was different. Everything about the class is designed around trade offs and no other class sees it to the same extent, it to me feels like a game of monkey paw.

Blizzard originally swore up and down that they didn't want run away inflation regarding player damage and monster hp. They were going to put in monster armor and all was going to be fine. When that was the case the Sorcerer design feels solid. Then it happened and Sorcerer didn't get re tuned for the new game.

TylerD

Oct 25, 2017
One of the Sorc's malignant hearts only give resistance. Like salt in a wound. 😂

But wasn't season 1 and this stuff probably already baked basically when the game launched? It sucks that's how it worked out with that resistance sorc heart but it looks like there are some pretty powerful class agnostic hearts.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017

To me what you say sounds like common sense. But then I see patch notes like this and I wonder what went through the devs heads at Blizzard....

cyress8

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
So, I've never played PoE, how is it? Maybe I'll check it out for a change...
It's good. Main issue is the need to buy stash for your characters. At least you only need to buy once.

Once you get adjusted to playing. Creating a character and getting to endgame maps is maybe a weekend off type of deal. The game is very fast paced and I enjoy playing it on my steam deck.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'm just playing Season 1 because I already paid for it but I'm glad Remnant 2 comes out next week because it will be a nice distraction/break from Diablo 4 for me and my friends whenever we don't feel like playing Diablo 4 because this patch really killed a lot of motivation for Season 1.

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what data Blizzard devs are looking at to make them decide to add all these wild, confusing, and sometimes unnecessary changes, but I'm sure the data they have on player retention and active users are going to be interesting.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
It's good. Main issue is the need to buy stash for your characters. At least you only need to buy once.

Once you get adjusted to playing. Creating a character and getting to endgame maps is maybe a weekend off type of deal. The game is very fast paced and I enjoy playing it on my steam deck.
I downloaded PoE, Grim Dawn, and Last Epoch to my Steam Deck over the last few days. I'm trying to overcome my Stockholm Syndrome and explore the games people usually use as examples of good ARPGs.

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'm just playing Season 1 because I already paid for it but I'm glad Remnant 2 comes out next week because it will be a nice distraction/break from Diablo 4 for me and my friends whenever we don't feel like playing Diablo 4 because this patch really killed a lot of motivation for Season 1.
You didn't pay for Season 1. Season 1 is free, the battle pass from my understanding can be redeemed on this season or another.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017

I doubt anyone could explain it. Literally the worst unique in the game.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Another reminder that the season battle pass premium upgrade you got with the Deluxe or Ultimate version of the game does not need to be used for season one. Wish we could get a sticky or something for this because it wasn't well communicated. You can use that for any future season, so don't waste it if you don't want to play this season.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I downloaded PoE, Grim Dawn, and Last Epoch to my Steam Deck over the last few days. I'm trying to overcome my Stockholm Syndrome and explore the games people usually use as examples of good ARPGs.
What's really cool is that these 3 games are really different, even if they're from the same genre

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan

As someone else said I'm pretty sure you dont have to claim season 1s battle pass if you dont want to. Im going to wait and see what season 2 looks like.

So many good games out atm, I can't be bothered to play a game where the developers dont respect their playerbase.

Master of Cats

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 14, 2023
The Battle Pass doesn't give you anything other than useless cosmetics so I personally don't care which season I use it on because I'll never care about the reward

Spykaro

Nov 3, 2017
I'll just put it this way. If I didn't already buy the ultimate edition with the S1 BP, I'd uninstall the game right now after the latest patch.

I'm pretty sure we have a "season pass unlock" for buying ultimate that does not have to be used on season 1. Can be saved for later. Pretty sure they confirmed this.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
But wasn't season 1 and this stuff probably already baked basically when the game launched? It sucks that's how it worked out with that resistance sorc heart but it looks like there are some pretty powerful class agnostic hearts.
Correct. They said S1's scope was locked as early as the week of release. So I somewhat sympathize and will look towards a S2 correction. However, it's still a bad look and a bad position to be in after a stellar launch.

Volodja

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine it's something along the lines of it being a fun concept, they even designed the whole item around it.
Unfortunately the fun concept is also pretty unviable and the designing around it element made what is essentially a downside the whole identity of the item iself and on top of it you pay for the downside by having no offensive stats.
It's honestly a bit of a jewel in how bad it is. If I found one I'd run it on hardcore just for the hilarity. Not that that character would last long, mind you.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
They really did just take a massive dump on early level experience even. Initially you could get to one bar away from hitting level 5 from just doing the event right outside of Kyovashad (kill the 4 enemies before it). Now you need five bars. That's just the beginning levels, so this probably translates into a much longer grind in general just to get through the capstone dungeons.

My tinfoil is that they nuked all XP sources BECAUSE Season Pass has baked in those +% XP things you can unlock with those ashes. They wanted things to stay as they are-ish and not give actual XP gain boosts to progression.

You have to pick between additional experience and additional obols though right? Not sure which would be the best approach long term.

KAP151

Oct 25, 2017
Welp just read the patch. So Blizz really hates the sorc huh? Why the hell would anyone play that joke of a class.

I hit 83 and thats where its going to stay.

Would love to see the stats on how many people A) Roll a Sorc in S1 and B) Actually get to end game with it.

It was already broken. They have pretty much nailed the coffin with the nerfs.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

Would love to see the stats on how many people A) Roll a Sorc in S1 and B) Actually get to end game with it.

I got to level 73 and couldn't keep up with my mates so I rerolled a necro. Big ass difference.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I thought Diablo 4 was in good hands. Last patch was good. This one makes me wonder if anyone on the team even plays the fuckin game.

They talked a good game but I guess the warning signs were always there what with the elemental stuff being what it was.

But the proof is in the pudding patch and deciding on these nerfs AND releasing it just 48 hours before season 1, which is your most important season is just absolutely insane to me. Like they're trying to sabotage themselves. I was hyped for this season and now I dunno if I'll even try it.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017

I wonder if, due to the Sorc being "most rolled character," they're hoping the degradation will motivate players explore other classes? Or maybe since they largely worked on S1 prior to launch they were still operating under the beta impression that Sorc is "overpowered." Who knows at this point.

Crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the player base tanks this season. Blizz needs to understand a patch like this is not acceptable.
I'm legitimately thinking about going back to New World (I've been hearing good things?) or trying out POE, at least until AC6 comes out. My drive to keep playing Diablo took a significant hit.

I'll try some of the season out I guess since I did pre-commit (deluxe edition or whatever), but as someone who reached level 100 (pre-XP buff), killed uber Lilith, did a tier 100 NMD, and has a hardcore at level 89... I'm not sure how much more grinding I can do.

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's inspired by The Oculus in Diablo 2, but the effect doesn't seem useful in Diablo 4. Not when you have limit of lives in NMD.

The first unique orb (and the only one with Patch 1.09), The Oculus provides a large boost to all Sorceress skills, resistances, cast rate, Energy, and magic find, The Oculus is ideal for all-around Sorceress use. Its ability to teleport when struck, although potentially life-saving, can make it an unpredictable weapon to use, however.

diablo.fandom.com

The Oculus (Diablo II)

The Oculus is a unique Swirling Crystal, exclusively used by Sorceresses. The first unique orb (and the only one with Patch 1.09), The Oculus provides a large boost to all Sorceress skills, resistances, cast rate, Energy, and magic find, The Oculus is ideal for all-around Sorceress use. Its...

cyress8

"This guy are sick"
Avenger

PoE is a good one if you want to feel like a speed demon clearing screens of enemies.

I actually started playing PoE again a few months ago because Diablo 4 was coming out soon. I wanted to scratch that itch. With Diablo 4 released, it is doing the god damn opposite right now. With PoE 2 hopefully being announced later this month and what has been shown for some of the trailers. It will have my full attention on release.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
You didn't pay for Season 1. Season 1 is free, the battle pass from my understanding can be redeemed on this season or another.
Another reminder that the season battle pass premium upgrade you got with the Deluxe or Ultimate version of the game does not need to be used for season one. Wish we could get a sticky or something for this because it wasn't well communicated. You can use that for any future season, so don't waste it if you don't want to play this season.
As someone else said I'm pretty sure you dont have to claim season 1s battle pass if you dont want to. Im going to wait and see what season 2 looks like.

So many good games out atm, I can't be bothered to play a game where the developers dont respect their playerbase.
Wait really? Even better me and my friends will just try out the Season without fully committing to it and move on to Remnant 2.

Thanks for the clarification guys.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
It's honestly a bit of a jewel in how bad it is. If I found one I'd run it on hardcore just for the hilarity. Not that that character would last long, mind you.
It really is a jewel, haha. It would be fun if it also triggered a random max ranked ultimate for some kind of total chaos build

I think it's inspired by The Oculus in Diablo 2, but the effect doesn't seem useful in Diablo 4. Not when you have limit of lives in NMD.

Ah that makes sense, thank you!

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Look, the patch isn't great, we get it.

The amount of people losing their minds about this and the sea of negativity and rage on here and on Reddit is, frankly, embarrassing.

Diablo is my favorite series, I own the CEs, I played every beta, I took time off work for release. I want the game to be good too and there's a lot of room for improvement.

But ya'll need to get some perspective and chillllll.

This is more than just a bad patch imo. This is showing us their thought process and how they see the state of the game which is probably the most important thing and it's honestly mind boggling, it's like they don't even play it?

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
This is more than just a bad patch imo. This is showing us their thought process and how they see the state of the game which is probably the most important thing and it's honestly mind boggling, it's like they don't even play it?

That's what confuses me the most, the patch seems oriented towards making D4 less fun to play. Squishier builds, longer leveling times, nerfs to damage progression, increasing the freaking time to portal out. Like, why? Was the town portal too fast or something??!?

It just feels like they went out of their way to make the game less appealing to play for some reason...

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
I'll still play a new class with Season 1, but I'll probably take a break in-between and/or after Season 1. I dislike some stuff and the Patch isn't good and it's not really fixing a lot of the real issues that the game has. But overall I already played the game a lot and I might return from time to time for later Seasons/Patches, I don't mind at all, that I'll have time for Baldurs Gate 3, Starfield, Spider-Man 2, Forza and the other games I just forgot that are still releasing this year. To be honest, I don't care about level 100 or killing uber Lilith, it's mostly just about stupid grind. I got a 78 Sorc, 80+ Druid and 38 HC Rogue so far, probably gonna play in co-op for Season 1, either Barb, Rogue or Necro with a friend and will probably stop around 80 again.

My main issue remains, that there is a world tier and items missing above 75/80, the Season and Patch is changing nothing in that regard and the Stash Space is a real issue. Anyway, I was pretty annoyed today by this patch and I sometimes wonder if they even play their game at all, if they QA some stuff at all and how they decide certain changes. I mean there are more than enough people who really put in a lot of time and even analyzed data and basically none of these issues/concerns were fixed with the patches so far.

Cvie

Oct 25, 2017
nerfs are definitely noticeable on 100 rogue, i was stacking crit dam vuln main stat and cdr so...

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
As a sorc player right now I was looking forward to a fresh start with season one, now I'll just skip it. I need to start FF16 anyway.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
WoW devs must be loving this. After twenty years they - for the most part - they finally figured out the 'listen to players' thing and seem to be receiving pretty positive feedback for this expansion and patch rhythm. Diablo devs taking all the heat