Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Disappointment is one thing. Straight up hostility and toxicity, particularly hostility directed at the devs because you don't want a thing? That can fuck off. I do not understand how people are defending this attitude and the behavior of people like that of the guy at the panel.

I personally wasn't defending that kind of behavior as I know the decision to make the mobile game probably wasn't even their choice and it's unfair to them to take all the heat.

Surely they knew that this was coming though when they announce it to some of the most hardcore Blizzard and Diablo fans out there? This shouldn't have been at the end and probably not as an announcement at the opening ceremony period. It may have gone over better that way if it was announcement at a different time like with Diablo 3 for the Switch.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Because they don't want every trailer and announcement for this thing met with the same vitriol as this initial announcement.
That's always going to be the case. There's no going back. They took a gamble, likely because they aren't ready to show Diablo 4, and this is where we're at. They aren't surprised by this and shouldn't be cornered by fans who clearly aren't their target audience with this title. Focus on those of us who would actually love to play diablo on our phones while we're out and about/suffering from an hour 30 minute commute on public transport.

Eh, the game could be great and will probably be successful, but you have to know your audience. This is the hardcore, mostly PC, fanbase you are showing this to. They don't want it.

On the day I can go grab the most complete version of Diablo 3 on Switch, that's no longer true.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
You're breaking my words into two parts each out of context. A.) I am part of the group in the first paragraph who plays and enjoys mobile games (as well as console and PC ones). B.) When dedicated hardware mostly disappears (second paragraph), I will have no issue making the transition to wearable/ portable/ whatever devices (I'm not quite at the 'implant' acceptance stage).

Better? I really wish gaming didn't have to be so contentious. IPs moving to new platforms and being handled by a THIRD PARTY takes literally nothing away from Blizzard's development focus on Diablo 4 or whatever its next incarnation is—games as a service, likely.

This will allow the franchise to reach more people than it ever could have before.

I'm not advocating for burning down Blizzard or demanding an apology for this game but it's perfectly reasonable to be disappointed in this announcement. D3 hasn't recieved an update in over a year and they decided to close the show with this announcement. It's not the end of the world but neither is the let down felt by the fans of the games.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
People at least shouldn't be directing their personal hostility towards the devs. The decision to make a mobile Diablo game was made by the higher up corporate suits.

k4mon

Oct 28, 2017
Wrocław / Poland
This just looks like Diablo 3 on mobile. And I think if it would be that people would not be as mad. Because I think that it kinda sucks that this "new story" or "new chapter" whatever you want to call it is mobile only.

Although I'm rather open to new stuff and ideas so I'm definitely gonna give it a shot.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
They're deleting all the negative comments on Youtube, even ones that break no rules at all, not a good look.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
giphy.webp

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Will it be playable with a controller on a Apple TV in 16:9 aspect ratio?
Can't see why it would be, almost no mobile game allows for that. Apple TV games are separate apps, they probably would have announced it (and then be faced with even more rage, because at that point why not just put it on consoles)

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
Poor Witch Doctor, already the lowest tiered hero on the meta and now totally forgotten. Or maybe he'll appear as the final boss.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
"You guys have phones right?" is 2018's "Why would anyone want to live there?"

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
It will be very grindy. You will find lots of free chests by playing but they will have crap gear. If you want a good chest with rare gear you have to buy it separately.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
"You guys have phones right?"
I'm not sure they understand why people are pissed off and how there's better arguments to convince them it's not that bad.
I mean, I doubt that's was some pre-meditated response.

You can't blame someone for saying dumb shit when staring down an angry crowd they're being payed to excite.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This just looks like Diablo 3 on mobile. And I think if it would be that people would not be as mad. Because I think that it kinda sucks that this "new story" or "new chapter" whatever you want to call it is mobile only.

Although I'm rather open to new stuff and ideas so I'm definitely gonna give it a shot.
I think the announcement venue matters also. Like, had Blizzard revealed this at E3 or Gamescon or maybe Game Awards, people would be maybe more positive. But at Blizzcon, as a finisher for the opening ceremony? It feels wrong, perhaps.

A friend of mine (casual Diablo-semi-fan at best) commented that while he doesn't care for mobile games, this could be something he can use to kill time at work etc.

cirr

Oct 26, 2017
Northern VA
aRPG fans do yourself a favor and buy Grim Dawn instead. The game is great and the devs deserve your support!

This. Grim Dawn is the closest thing to Diablo 2's style of gameplay and itemization. There's another expansion coming out next year as well. MP community isn't large, though more people are on Steam compared to GoG.

Oct 25, 2017
aRPG fans do yourself a favor and buy Grim Dawn instead. The game is great and the devs deserve your support!
I bought it a few years ago, but at least at the time it didn't have the competitiveness that PoE and Diablo 3 has. No persistance online and you're free to download/change savegames. That's a deal breaker for me I'm afraid.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I mean, I doubt that's was some pre-meditated response.

You can't blame someone for saying dumb shit when staring down an angry crowd they're being payed to excite.
Sure, but media training exists for a reason and you usually know which audience you're adressing. You shouldn't do a Q&A without being prepared.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
While I'd obviously prefer a proper D4, Diablo isn't a series I think is hurt that much by being on mobile.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Instead of giving us a proper version Diablo 3 for mobile/tablets... They give us this thing

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Already done m8. And Titan Quest expansion and have 500 hours on PoE since beta (i got in late), and have played a ton of crap hoping to find the diamond in the rough too (RIP Marvel Heroes).

I'm sure there will be a Diablo 4, and a D2 remake (with microtransactions and always online I'm sure), but D3 was already a step down, and a lootbox filled, larger mmo D4 is probably gonna get attention in all the wrong areas going by their priorities here.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I still feel pretty bad for the announcer, he probably wants to announce something he knows everyone wants but can't, and the reaction towards the mobile announcement seemed to have visibly shaken him. I hope they don't get the flak for what the higher-ups are doing with the franchise.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I dunno much about Blizzcon, do they usually do the huge announcements during the opening ceremony? Or is there any hope that there will be more Diablo news?

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
lol welp.

All hope is lost.

There is solid reason behind this. China is the biggest market for mobile games. If you want to release a game in China it needs to be helmed by a chinese company. If not, you have to pay a huge fee to release the game there. It make business sense to outsource this, as it saves Blizzard huge money in the long run. It doesn't mean they think any less of the game.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And Blizzcon isn't a casual get-together, it's a huge event for huge fans of Blizzard and their games. These are the most hardcore fans, having nothing but a mobile game as the only thing for a franchise and being disappointed about is NOT being entitled. They showed this at the wrong place and the wrong time.

The Q&A is fairly uncomfortable watching. Having the core fans booing the stage speaks volumes. I feel sorry for the poor guys answering the questions.

Alex

Oct 27, 2017
Looks absolutely dreadful, and I'm fairly forgiving of mobile fare. Charging the obscene amount of money Blizzard does to participate in Blizzcon they should absolutely get roasted over this, 100%, anyone acting like the fans are being unreasonable can take a hike, honestly.

Whole show was just a total mess. Hopefully some of the panels at least have some more interesting bits but I really expect next to nothing out of Blizzard these days. The past year or so has been one of the biggest downhill spirals I've seen a developer take.