Eriol

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile

A complete analysis in the switch mod to get video capture on portable Mode, by the same guys from capturing 3ds devices.

Excellent job Dark1x!

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Damn, nice! Can't wait to see this utilized for future games analysis - will be super helpful for me in judging games to purchase, considering I play almost solely in handheld mode.

EDIT: How about those DOOM results? Surprising to see portable mode has a higher overall average FPS for their testing! Man, that game is a blast in handheld.

Last edited:

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ouch seeing this video on my 4K Samsung here. Good tool you get Dark1x , like all the info you can get now. Sacrifices, but is mobile after all.
Mario Kart still caght my attention.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finished watching. It'll be nice to finally have a proper comparison between modes. I'm one of those who are fine with even XBC2 in handheld mode tho so it'll hardly affect my buying decisions.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Wish I had the side funds to buy one of these kits.

Will be really interesting to see portable vs docked comparisons now.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
To buy or not to buy...

I just hope this dont make a trend that future DF Switch videos get the hell out cherrypicked with comments like "why does this game at sub 720 intended for Switch portable screen looks soo <insert> in my 4K monitor??"

this is likely to void the warranty if I send my Switch, right?

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Sadly, I have to rant on this video.

You guys analyzed a lot of games, yet completely skipped the Switch fourth best selling game (6+ millions copies sold) and the only first party shooter on the system. Splatoon 2.

It's the Nintendo take on a console shooter on the go and there's 0 footage of it and obviously no framerate analysis, plus you also never analyzed the docked game in online mode, only the singleplayer mode that no one really cares about (except Octo Expansion, that we care about).

EDIT: Hopefully DF will read my comment lol

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nice. I was pumped when they started doing video footage of portable mode. I wish more Youtubers would put in the effort to do so. It would've saved me from buying some games that performed terribly in handheld.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Great video Dark1x , I really liked the editing, did you do it yourself?
Yep, as always. I did the whole thing.

Sadly, I have to rant on this video.

You guys analyzed a lot of games, yet completely skipped the Switch fourth best selling game (6+ millions copies sold) and the only first party shooter on the system. Splatoon 2.

It's the Nintendo take on a console shooter on the go and there's 0 footage of it and obviously no framerate analysis, plus you also never analyzed the docked game in online mode, only the singleplayer mode that no one really cares about (except Octo Expansion, that we care about).

EDIT: Hopefully DF will read my comment lol
Here's the issue - we would have to run out and purchase it. Thanks to Nintendo's stupid account system, I couldn't use any of my digital games. I relied on my physical games or titles we had keys for.

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
What's the music playing in the background at the start? (The one with the mega drive samples)

EDIT - Found it. So gooood..

Last edited:

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
The art direction is so strong that XC2 still stuns in portable mode. The artifacts and framerate are unfortunate but it still looks better to me than Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Gravity Rush on the Vita. And I enjoyed those games just fine.

764787-uncharted-golden-abyss-ps-vita-screenshot-guess-the-rest-of.jpg

Uncharted-Golden-Abyss-1.jpg

1PP6Q53tO-eyk9wtDA2_Bc43g8HWiPE3ZG0zCybDy3-2DShDpRkvtLSDofTOTRFuJcm9fvZmxleiKmXFq_ccp4Mhlkhe52Rjy9Y6xir35UMoiAcfHEA

ayK65lQ.jpg

o9i4FG2.jpg

dixg3wd.jpg

wsDwuy4.jpg

https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...-about-portable-play.9507/page-7#post-1716661

edit: A better comparison would be Gravity Rush

gravity-rush-train.jpg

MV5BNWQ1NTk2NTEtZWQzMi00ZWUwLTliMTctMmZmOWMzZmQwZjUwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU5MTEzNzU@._V1_.jpg

gravity-rush-21.jpg

latest

I believe all of these games are sub-native resolution.

Last edited:

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Really glad to see such a mod is possible, if you want to play a game using the touchscreen you can't capture footage since the dock automatically disables the screen, one day I could do with getting this done for games like Voez.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Great video, as usual. I've always been fascinated by mobile technology and the compromises developers take to deliver their vision. A more accurate tool is always useful!

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I can believe they have done nothing to improve XB2 after all this time.

Given the nature of the game, it being built off the back of X, and all the outsourcing, it wouldn't surprise me if it's more trouble than it's worth at this point. Particularly if they'd rather put all their technical resources on building their new IP.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Great analysis, very interesting results and comparisons.

Looking forward to new game comparisons even more now.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting video.
This part in particular came as a surprise for me https://youtu.be/FpGQznGKXdM?t=20m45s
iPhoneX have more powerfull GPU, than NS? That feels weird.

Not really. Tech moves fast, and certainly Nvidia has left the X1 behinda couple years ago. It's also fair to say that no mobile phone would operate at the consistent levels we expect from the Switch/dedicated gaming devices.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man this is huge. Part of me hopes Nintendo allows functions like this without having to mod the console but that likely won't happen.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised to hear praise for Mario Odyssey's frame jittering technique as I though it stood out a lot on the Switch's display.
It's also interesting to see that Breath of the Wild is apparently running at a locked 30 FPS without any frame-pacing issues now, whether in docked or handheld mode. Since it still gives me severe motion sickness, I guess I just can't handle games like that at 30 FPS now.
Hopefully emulation develops at a rapid pace, because I can't wait to play these games on good hardware.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, as always. I did the whole thing.

Here's the issue - we would have to run out and purchase it. Thanks to Nintendo's stupid account system, I couldn't use any of my digital games. I relied on my physical games or titles we had keys for.

What's the problem with the account system?

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Hey Dark1x , it would be very interesting to have a direct comparison of the Switch handheld vs the iPhone X on Fortnight.

beni12

Oct 25, 2017
Great video, wanted to buy xenoblade 2 but after watching this video i think i shouldn't do that

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Sooo glad you guys pointed out Paladins performance in portable mode, I play it on downtime at work and it feels like a fast pc/console game but running in handheld, excellent work as always.