Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The iPhone SE came out ~March 2016 and is based on the iPhone 6S that came out in ~October 2015. They're A9 SoC-based. The SE runs a lot cheaper if you're going prepaid. $200 or less.

The technology is approaching 3 years, not four and it's newer than the X1 that came out in the middle of 2015.
That's not really cheaper, though. Is like saying that the Switch is only $50 if you bought it on credit.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know... Considering their purpose, price tag and hardware are very different, to me, it's comparing apples to oranges.
remember that the entire Tegra line was made for the mobile market (until recently, anyway). and comparing it to 2018 phones, the Tegra X1 is mid-range. current crop of high-end SoCs have definitely surpassed it. on the gpu front, it's harder to discern but the die shrink and power consumption has allowed it to match the older arch and ineffective 20nm process. again, on the high end scale. CPU-wise, it was hot back in 2014, but it's woefully outdated now. context-switching has been phased out for heterogeneous processing, which the switch could use to it's favor (freeing up more CPU power for games)

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In which planet are the 2 comparable?
The Room is basically a point & click gameplay enclosed in a small space with zero animations, AI, world building, etc. and to compare THAT to Outlast is indeed laughable, I'm sorry
Yeah, Outlast is pretty self contained, but whatever. I don't have to engage with this kind of hostility.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
From the last two years? Why? What happened two years ago, that made it impossible to play older games? I think that you just made up this limitation cause you know I'm right and you need some defendable position.

I didn't write you have to be 12 y.o. I write "bigger, than a 12y.o.". That means in size.
I'm truly sorry about your poor experience with iOS controllers, but I don't see how is that relevant. I wasn't talking about cheap stuff like 8bitio, I was talking about good controllers, that are cheaper than good Switches controller (pro).
Also, thanks for mentioning that everyone have a smartphone. I agree, so the choice isn't between buying a $300 Switch or a $1000 iPhone. One have a choice between buying a $300 Switch, $200 of essential accessories for your Switch and $400/500 smartphone or a $1000 iPhone.
Go ahead and make it 10 years, then. I'll be waiting the list that has games matching the quality and budget of the games I mentioned.

That said, any avid mobile gamer knows full well than plenty of older games aren't updated anymore, and no longer playable on modern firmwares. Some are playable, but will most likely crash sooner than later. Its basically lottery at this point. Not to mention, most of them don't even support controllers to begin with.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The iPhone SE came out ~March 2016 and is based on the iPhone 6S that came out in ~October 2015. They're A9 SoC-based. The SE runs a lot cheaper if you're going prepaid. $200 or less.

The technology is approaching 3 years, not four and it's newer than the X1 that came out in the middle of 2015.
You're right, I was thinking commercial mobile products. X1 didn't release in one of those until the very end of 2015 (Pixel C) but it did release in Shield TV mid 2015.

SE is $349.99 retail now though for a 32GB model. At launch it was $399.99 about a year before Switch launched and with just 16GB. And this is their lowest price phone by a huge margin, you won't see an A11 in a $300 Apple phone ever.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
remember that the entire Tegra line was made for the mobile market (until recently, anyway). and comparing it to 2018 phones, the Tegra X1 is mid-range. current crop of high-end SoCs have definitely surpassed it. on the gpu front, it's harder to discern but the die shrink and power consumption has allowed it to match the older arch and ineffective 20nm process. again, on the high end scale. CPU-wise, it was hot back in 2014, but it's woefully outdated now. context-switching has been phased out for heterogeneous processing, which the switch could use to it's favor (freeing up more CPU power for games)
Nvidia never did a chip suitable for Phones, though. With the exception of a gimped version of Tegra 4, all products have targeted Tablets.

This is the current GFXBench ranking:

Th9GBiy.png

Yes, the Adreno 630 is leading now over the Tx1 on GPU performance. But as anandatech found out, the sustained performance of the Chip is on par with last year Adreno's 540, though...

Last edited:

Deleted member 11934

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In my experience the current high-end SoC in phones just run hot and destroy battery life pretty fast compared to Switch, which isn't the freshest SoC on the planet but it's bearable thanks to being engineered for gaming and not being slim. Phones also are updated each year, and low end SoCs are way more common at the 250-300$ pricepoint. Looking at that and only that is like saying that a truck is better than a car because it delivers more horsepower.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
iPhone X and iPad Pros are probably top of the line SoC. I have no doubt a game console built with those chips would outperform the Switch.

But such arguments are pointless when no mobile games currently even approach the complexity of top tier Switch games. OS overheads and heat throttling issues will give Switch an advantage over mobile for years to come.

And furthermore, those devices are still more than twice the price of a Switch. Comparing a Switch to an iPhone X is like comparing a PS4 with a 1080 Ti-equipped gaming PC. I suppose you could argue there's more iPhone X's in the wild than high end GPU's, but it's still not a particularly common model compared with lower priced offerings.

Shini42

Jan 7, 2018
Go ahead and make it 10 years, then. I'll be waiting the list that has games matching the quality and budget of the games I mentioned.

That said, any avid mobile gamer knows full well than plenty of older games aren't updated anymore, and no longer playable on modern firmwares. Some are playable, but will most likely crash sooner than later. Its basically lottery at this point. Not to mention, most of them don't even support controllers to begin with.
At this point in conversation I'm pretty sure, that any amount of high profile games I could've named would be dismissed by you as inferior to godlike BoTW or by any other imaginary reason. Also, I have nothing to say to the "everyone knows" argument.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
At this point in conversation I'm pretty sure, that any amount of high profile games I could've named would be dismissed by you as inferior to godlike BoTW or by any other imaginary reason. Also, I have nothing to say to the "everyone knows" argument.
Convenient. You know they will be dismissed because you know I'm right. They are not really comparable and it's plainly evident.

If the library would "embarrass" the Switch's, then surely coming up with a list that strongly support your claim shouldn'tbe this hard.

Last edited:

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

*brings libraries into his argument:
"Don't bring up lists warz coz it'd be embarrassing with how inferior Switch's is"
*once asked for receipts:
"Nah coz I'm right but you're all blind with fanboyism so there is no point"

How convenient... a whole lotta 'nuthin

Shini42

Jan 7, 2018
*brings libraries into his argument:
"Don't bring up lists warz coz it'd be embarrassing with how inferior Switch's is"
*once asked for receipts:
"Nah coz I'm right but you're all blind with fanboyism so there is no point"

How convenient... a whole lotta 'nuthin
You've missed a couple of back and forth massages in your recap when we went from discussing a point to defending a new shiny console.