• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Solary

Banned
Nov 20, 2019
I guess the variable clock speeds will also help with fans not going crazy on home screens? Sure Cerny touched on this

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
You have an advantage by being weaker...wait what? I thought the whole point of an advantage is TO ACTUALY edge out/win out.

When you look at it.
  1. Less GPU
  2. Less CPU
  3. Less RAM
  4. Less Ray Tracing
  5. Less Storage
  6. No 4 int & 8 int deep learning precision tops
  7. ??No VRS??

First off, just because something hasn't been specifically talked about doesn't mean it doesn't exist. That invalidates 6 and 7 for now. Number 4 has yet to be determined (maybe DF can help here). Number 3 is a lie.

Just... look at things rationally.

Exodia

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 9, 2020
youtu.be

DF Direct: PlayStation 5 - The Official Specs, The Tech + Mark Cerny's Next-Gen Vision

Mark Cerny delivered an developer-focused tech talk on the PlayStation 5, covering off its key next-gen technologies and the philosophy behind them. We also ...

Here you go. They discuss how the higher clock speed improves various aspects of the GPU.

Edit: Can't get it to link with the time stamp they staying talking about that part around 9:52.

That's still GCN architecture versus RDNA 2 comparison.

Not RDNA 2 vs RDNA 2.

The whole talk starts at 8:00

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so basically that SSD is the deciding factor between the two. Could be massive for first party titles. As in "only possible on the PS5" kinda massive.
Only If you want to be selective with what's convenient to you. This is not the case here.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
If it's only for first party both companies can claim whatever they want because you'll not see the same game on the other system.
Sounds like a pretty big technological shift from previous generations, so it makes it difficult to even really imagine what's possible. It's a complete design shift. Developers don't need to hide asset load anymore, just make your crazy ass epic game.

"Design the game you want to make and don't waste time on solving technological limitations, on PS5, we've removed them completely with this ssd." That's what I hear from that cerny presentation.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
You have an advantage by being weaker...wait what? I thought the whole point of an advantage is TO ACTUALY edge out/win out.

When you look at it.
  1. Less GPU
  2. Less CPU
  3. Less RAM
  4. Less Ray Tracing
  5. Less Storage
  7. ??No VRS??
Lmao! So now 16 < 16

There's been some truly amazing math in these threads today, man.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like a pretty big technological shift from previous generations, so it makes it difficult to even really imagine what's possible. It's a complete design shift. Developers don't need to hide asset load anymore, just make your crazy ass epic game.

"Design the game you want to make and don't waste time on solving technological limitations, on PS5, we've removed them completely with this ssd." That's what I hear from that cerny presentation.
Yeah that's something both companies can claim.

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
Who expected this? It's your our fault to expect PS4 Pro to play next gen games. Is this your first time getting into console gaming?

I don't have a Pro so I honestly don't care. My point was that I would be surprised if Sony is willing to cut off Pro owners when their main competitor isn't. It's just another thing that MS can leverage, along with full day 1 BC with all Xbox One games.

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
Sure. I bet they fully expect to play new Playstation "4" games.

I don't have a Pro so I honestly don't care. My point was that I would be surprised if Sony is willing to cut off Pro owners when their main competitor isn't. It's just another thing that MS can leverage, along with full day 1 BC with all Xbox One games

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these comparison similar to comparing a PS4 to an Xbox One X? I thought the Series X that we have specs for was the pro/premium version and not the standard version. Or are these both the flagship models that will likely be similarly priced?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a Pro so I honestly don't care. My point was that I would be surprised if Sony is willing to cut off Pro owners when their main competitor isn't. It's just another thing that MS can leverage, along with full day 1 BC with all Xbox One games
Launching a new piece of hardware without any games that actually takes advantage of that hardware is a mistake, imho. If all Sony had for the first year or two of the PS5's life were prettier versions of PS4 games, I wouldn't buy one.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe and that's be great. I wouldn't say showing a faster load on state of decay 2 exactly delivered the same paradigm shift this did, but it could all result in nothing as well I suppose.
The game loaded faster than before and I can assure you that not all bc games will load within a second on PS5 like Spiderman did.

sun-drop

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
wellington , new zealand
Are referring to rumors or an official statement by Sony? If you are referring to an official statement, please link me because I'm not seeing one. I would be shocked if they were willing to give the middle finger to their customers who bought a Pro.

i don't follow .. the normal course of events is they wipe the slate clean and leave the prev gen behind..this is what consoles are. its MS whos trying to introduce this Forward compatibility requirement, not sony. you will get the usual suspect 3rd party launch titles are are just PS5 versions of fifa and madden etc, might get assassins creed ps5 port ..but not one is buying a PS5 to play those. we will buy one to play whatever 1st party showcase is there at launch.

the fact the ps4 pro actually had some performance boosts this time round instead of the usual mid-cycle shrink ..is 4k TV ... thats not the norm .. i doubt we see a PS5 pro catering to 8k tV's mid cycle this time because i don't think there will be the migration from 4k to 8k tv's that we saw with the one from 1080 to 4k ..

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
That's still GCN architecture versus RDNA 2 comparison.

Not RDNA 2 vs RDNA 2.

The whole talk starts at 8:00
Ok I found the exact time. At 10:13 he talks about how raising the GPU clock speed raises cache bandwidth and rasterization rates. This could lead to better performance than a GPU with the same tf's but more cu's. Again just to repeat so console warriors stay calm. This will not let the ps5 GPU out perform the xsx GPU. It only means that according to Cerny the GPU can perform better then strictly what the tf's would suggest.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
Cerny's vision on generational leap is essentially a compromise.

On one hand, if he follows the PS1~3 style, it would be a complete "revolution" (hardware-based back compat or no back compat). On the other hand, if he just added more raw power to the existing PS4 structure, it would be a complete "evolution" (XSX style back compat). He has been complete consistent when he explained why PS4 Pro wasn't a generational leap even with substantial raw power upgrade over PS4.

So he chose the middle (i.e his one slide today literally says "balance between revolution and evolution") (partial back compat).

PS5 is more of a generation leap than XSX, regardless of its raw power being less than XSX. XSX of course is an amazing piece of hardware packed with innovations. But it is an evolution. PS5 could potentially change the fundamental game design philosophy due to its SSD structure and audio design which is pretty exciting

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
People who bought the Pro, less than 4 years ago, may expect to be able to play new playstation games.

They have been playing new PlayStation games for years. It was a mid-gen refresh, and advertised as such. It wasn't an all access pass to all next-gen PlayStation games.

For clarification, there will be plent cross gen games about for Pro owners to play, but the PS5 will have some exclusive games at launch and that's no middle finger to Pro owners. That's a ridiculous notion.

fattylion

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
It won't be for 3rd party games unfortunately. I get what Cerny/Sony were going for, but in reality its only going to be exploited properly by 1st party devs.
That's strange, I remembered Cerny mentioning that most studios that he visited were using kraken or were implementing kraken for compression. Unlss he was just visiting first parties.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
It won't be for 3rd party games unfortunately. I get what Cerny/Sony were going for, but in reality its only going to be exploited properly by 1st party devs.
It sounds like the compression and decompression is handled automatically by the kraken system so 3rd parties will use it regardless. So it will be faster without any extra work.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these comparison similar to comparing a PS4 to an Xbox One X? I thought the Series X that we have specs for was the pro/premium version and not the standard version. Or are these both the flagship models that will likely be similarly priced?
Absolutely not. These consoles are closer on paper than the PS4 and Xbox One were, by a wide margin.

JonesXlv

Jun 7, 2018

When you look at it.
  1. Less GPU
  2. Less CPU
  3. Less RAM
  4. Less Ray Tracing
  5. Less Storage
  7. ??No VRS??

I HATE console warring, but man you're spot on in terms of your sentiment. Why is there always a group that fails to accept that a console is weaker than the other. This has been going on forever (SNES vs Genesis, Dreamcast vs. PS2, PS3 vs X360, PS4 vs XB1). We need to remain objective in these coversations and stop clinging to secret sauce and optimizations.

PS5 is a weaker system, at a likely cheaper price point. Let's move on now.

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
They have been playing new PlayStation games for years. It was a mid-gen refresh, and advertised as such. It wasn't an all access pass to all next-gen PlayStation games.

For clarification, there will be plent cross gen games about for Pro owners to play, but the PS5 will have some exclusive games at launch and that's no middle finger to Pro owners. That's a ridiculous notion.

With MS allowing current customers to play all new games for at least a year or two into "next gen", Pro owners could take it that way. It's not as ridiculous as you think.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Couldn't the same be said for the XSX's raw vs compressed speeds? Will 3rd parties use 5GB/s as the base across both consoles? Or will they use the 2.3(2.4?)GB/s as base?

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
The game loaded faster than before and I can assure you that not all bc games will load within a second on PS5 like Spiderman did.
Not really talking about BC load times. I'm talking about how each company decided to reveal/discuss it's SSD solution. Again, a lot of the Cerny presentation was just words and numbers and graphs and no actual examples, so it might end up being a whole lotta talk and not much to show.

But in theory, the PS5 SSD is potentially more exciting to me than an extra 2 TF of power (or whatever the difference is - funnily enough 2 TF is the difference between PS4 Pro and Xbox X ).

I hope both consoles are gangbusters, and I think we'd all agree this is probably a more exciting generational transition than last time.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not really talking about BC load times. I'm talking about how each company decided to reveal/discuss it's SSD solution. Again, a lot of the Cerny presentation was just words and numbers and graphs and no actual examples, so it might end up being a whole lotta talk and not much to show.

But in theory, the PS5 SSD is potentially more exciting to me than an extra 2 TF of power (or whatever the difference is).
To me most exciting is that both have an SSD, after so many years. That alone will be a major shift in game design. Microsoft's SSD is also really really fast so I don't see a disadvantage here. It would be if they would still use a spinning disk, for sure, though.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I HATE console warring, but man you're spot on in terms of your sentiment. Why is there always a group that fails to accept that a console is weaker than the other. This has been going on forever (SNES vs Genesis, Dreamcast vs. PS2, PS3 vs X360, PS4 vs XB1). We need to remain objective in these coversations and stop clinging to secret sauce and optimizations.

PS5 being the weaker system don't mean you don't have any advantages .
PS2 was weaker than XB but it still had some things going for it .
PS5 is weaker than the XSX but it still has some things going for it .
The SSD being twice as fast in a advantage how much that mean out side first party games is another question.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017

The PS5 has a weaker GPU, no one is disputing that. The thing people are missing is that it's not significantly weaker. Both consoles are very close in power, with the Xbox a bit ahead. There will be differences, but for the most part they will be minor.

Games might run with slightly more stable framerates, and with slightly better resolution on Xbox, but load a few seconds faster on PS5. The differences will be minimal.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Hey i understood most of and that when i listened this morning. Thats why i thought it sounded pretty good.

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
i don't follow .. the normal course of events is they wipe the slate clean and leave the prev gen behind..this is what consoles are. its MS whos trying to introduce this Forward compatibility requirement, not sony. you will get the usual suspect 3rd party launch titles are are just PS5 versions of fifa and madden etc, might get assassins creed ps5 port ..but not one is buying a PS5 to play those. we will buy one to play whatever 1st party showcase is there at launch.

the fact the ps4 pro actually had some performance boosts this time round instead of the usual mid-cycle shrink ..is 4k TV ... thats not the norm .. i doubt we see a PS5 pro catering to 8k tV's mid cycle this time because i don't think there will be the migration from 4k to 8k tv's that we saw with the one from 1080 to 4k ..

I get what you're saying but by having a mid gen upgraded console, they broke the traditional console life cycle. And with MS allowing their customers to play all new Xbox games for a year or two into "next gen", it could end up being another thing that MS can use as ammunition, along with full Xbox One BC day 1. This is why I think they may consider not going the traditional route of releasing console exclusives at launch.

JonesXlv

Jun 7, 2018
PS5 being the weaker system don't mean you don't have any advantages .
PS2 was weaker than XB but it still had some things going for it .
PS5 is weaker than the XSX but it still has some things going for it .
The SSD being twice as fast in a advantage how much that mean out side first party games is another question.

Thanks for proving the exact point I was trying to make.... PS5 is a weaker console at a likely cheaper price. No need for the fanboy justifications and caveats. Let's move on.

Dec 31, 2017
The PS5 has a weaker GPU, no one is disputing that. The thing people are missing is that it's not significantly weaker. Both consoles are very close in power, with the Xbox a bit ahead. There will be differences, but for the most part they will be minor.

Games might run with slightly more stable framerates, and with slightly better resolution on Xbox, but load a few seconds faster on PS5. The differences will be minimal.
Just like some games were 900p on Xbox one and 1080p on PS4. Was that minimal though? That's not what I remember from people's comments!
Id take a higher resolution and FPS over a few seconds less of loading any day of the week. And almost 15% less GPU power imo is not insignificant.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I recall the original Xbox One getting a cpu and gpu clock uptick right before release. It was 853Mhz vs PS4's 800Mhz on the gpu side right out the gate and PS4 still lapped it because of other factors in the hardware. My point being the increased clock speed didn't matter in a similar gpu setup where one console had more clock speed and the other more CUs.
I don't think anyone is saying that the higher clock will compensate for the high CU count in all scenarios. In fact, I doubt the clock speed difference on the PS5 will ever compensate for the sheer CU count of the XSX. But I also think that the differences between them might not be as big as the numbers suggest.