• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Have they got word about when the hardware teardown video teased by Cerny will be released?

Oct 25, 2017
well the "bad news" that its going to be expensive probably, as that recent Jim interview also seems to indicate from his words
Or they're just waiting for MS to disclose their price first then adjust accordingly. This strat makes the most sense IMO because MS was probably expecting a Sony price announcement from this showcase.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Or they're just waiting for MS to disclose their price first then adjust accordingly. This strat makes the most sense IMO because MS was probably expecting a Sony price announcement from this showcase.

sure, it totally looks like a "who blinks first" thing but im still expecting 500 if not 600. For the record im also expecting that from the SX so its bad news all around for me lol

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
568654731438718996.png

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CHAD DADDY!

SONY ALWAYS WINS BABY!

Alex's reaction at the beginning is the best. 😂

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweet heavens, an hour and 20 mins. Can I get a tldr on this?
It's the actual press conference and they just talk over it. So more actual post show reactions. They seem to think the disc slot is an afterthought given how the digital version is symmetrical, and that unless Sony take a massive loss removing the drive will only save about $30 in value for them

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Said it in the main thread, but I hope at least most of these games end up have a locked resolution. I know having a variable and even a lower resolution is better for raw performance, but I'd rather that particular thing not be compromised
that's always gonna be the first thing to go. now they can better IQ while retain stable performance. it's just not worth going 4K

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Sweet heavens, an hour and 20 mins. Can I get a tldr on this?

On the technical side, most things are 4K native, 30fps. They seemed pleasantly surprised to see ray tracing mixed in at that resolution across a number of titles, sounds like that was a surprise. Horizon and Ratchet seemed to be particular highlights for them. Among the indie games, Stray and Kena got some love.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Native 4K at 30fps with a mix of RT is more than I thought we'd get to be honest. I was honestly expecting 1440p reconstructed to 4K at 30fps and no RT. RDNA2 must be quite the hefty improvement over RDNA1 for a 10.28 TF GPU to pull this off.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I mostly agree with their points of view, except for one little caveat: I think this presentation would still be quite good without the heavy hitters from first-party studios. Of course, disappointment would have followed at a massive scale because it was time after a long silence from those teams to reappear. But you take the list of people invited, all the indie talent and partners such as Capcom or Bethesda, and it is a really good collection of developers. Even the weirdest game like Bugsnax has some history or pedigree behind it.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I (and I'm sure everyone) can express some disappointment in that the main stream was in low-bitrate 1080p30 but they didn't seem to mention much that the majority of games had 4K trailers (including 60fps where applicable like GodFall, Sackboy, Gran Turismo etc) uploaded after so it shouldn't be that much of a mystery what each game targets. They went through pixel counting (which must have used the individual 4K trailers) so I was a bit confused.

I'm a bit surprised though that most of the games here are 'throwing away performance' by going native 4K.

Too much 30fps targets overall. I hope several of these games gain dual graphical options by release.
Surprising amounts of games using ray-tracing in some form (again though, I would happily trade it for higher framerates).

Last edited:

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
Do they talk about the IQ of Horizon II? The direct screens look like subnative Vita/Switch screens. Is it the motion blur or something? Upscale/Reconstruction? Not knocking the game just curious as to why the IQ is so poor in stills.

49996329981_02bdc80ab1_4k.jpg

49996327601_e593b8dc74_4k.jpg

49996326236_f30663d7e2_4k.jpg

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
On the technical side, most things are 4K native, 30fps. They seemed pleasantly surprised to see ray tracing mixed in at that resolution across a number of titles, sounds like that was a surprise. Horizon and Ratchet seemed to be particular highlights for them. Among the indie games, Stray and Kena got some love.

Not sure how I feel about this. I think reconstructed could look awesome at those types of resolutions but that's probably what we'll be seeing as we progress down the road.

But the Horizon and R&C insane IQ looks reasonable with native 4K + probably some type of awesome temporal AA.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alex was Joakim Morgrim #teamcgi ? I knew there was a reason i liked him.

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So according to them, Ratchet is native 4K. 30fps. Ray tracing on the floor in that area others noticed, although with seemingly a partial bvh.

Stray is also native 4K, with some RT usage. 30fps I think?

Returnal is native 4K, no mention of framerate.

Sackboy's Big Adventure - sub-4K, 60fps.

Destruction Allstars - 'mostly' native 4K, with the odd 1080p shot thrown in. 'Maybe 30fps', don't seem very sure.

Kena - native 4K

...and I'll watch the rest later ;)
What kind of magic is this.....

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure how I feel about this. I think reconstructed could look awesome at those types of resolutions but that's probably what we'll be seeing as we progress down the road.

It does speak well for the headroom that might be available with reconstruction. I'm looking forward to that too, though it's hard to complain for now when the results are this good anyway, in the case of horizon and ratchet in particular.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
Extremely surprised that most games are native 4K. Seems like a waste of resource but games still look amazing so I don't know...

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
You know, after watching this I realized that the ps5 design is growing on me. I still prefer the series x but not by such a wide margin anymore.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
So we've since heard that Demon's Souls will have fidelity and framerate modes. I'm wondering if some of these games are showing native 4K 30 fps versions because they look amazing, but will also have reconstructed 4k 60 fps modes as well, if they're capable.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of native 4K plus meager quality RT reflections (all at glorious 30fps). I knew it. Some devs just don't give a shit about improving playability.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
What I need to know: is that Chad Warden song a real song? Or is it a Chad Warden original?

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Native 4K at 30fps with a mix of RT is more than I thought we'd get to be honest. I was honestly expecting 1440p reconstructed to 4K at 30fps and no RT. RDNA2 must be quite the hefty improvement over RDNA1 for a 10.28 TF GPU to pull this off.

Reconstructed 4k30 with no RT is an incredibly low bar. I mean most current gen games are capable of that and many exceed it. Not sure why you wouldn't expect things to improve with next-gen hardware.

gzell60

Oct 26, 2017
Munich
The entire lifespan of PS4 Pro was pretty much 1440p upscaled to 4k only. I would hope these new consoles finally get to native 4k, anything else would be quite the letdown.

This seems to be the case, so that's great.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Honestly surprised that so much stuff is native 4k. Seems like a waste of resources to me. Rather they lower the res and use reconstruction so they have extra power to spare on bells and whistles.