• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Ok was gonna watch Parks and rec first, but ima try this out. How crazy is this compared to one punch man or dbz, those the only a animea ive ever watched, oh I've seen first season of attack titans as well.

Emotion-wise you're in for something like the first half of the first season of AoT (up through the Battle of Trost) but more grand in scale and unhinged in its delivery.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the last few episodes earlier. Ended up being a really good series. But damn, some shit went down in those final eps.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Man, that ending was...
Pretty fucked up. I got End of Evangelion vibes from it. I suppose it was beautiful, in a gut wrenching "Lets burn it all down" kinda way, if you adore depressing anime.

Was a wild ride, none the less.

How close is this to the ending of the original Devilman series?

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
Man, that ending was...
Pretty fucked up. I got End of Evangelion vibes from it. I suppose it was beautiful, in a gut wrenching "Lets burn it all down" kinda way, if you adore depressing anime.

Was a wild ride, none the less.

How close is this to the ending of the original Devilman series?

The 70s manga, very close. The 70s anime is pretty different.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Through episode 7.

Fuck Ryo. Seriously, fuck him. Though sometimes it's hard to tell if he's straight up evil or incredibly misguided. Or something. It's really obvious dude is not a normal human. His room number(?) is even 666.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting the show to go this big with the demon stuff. I thought it would be like other shows where humanity is still in the dark, but this went global, and it looks like the world is ending.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The liquor of choice for when you're getting depressed by your anime, Devilman is getting its own scotch.

s93812170-0b-1074361.jpeg

http://comicbook.com/anime/2018/01/13/devilman-anime-brand-scotch-liquor-anniversary/

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand the deal with Akira's parents. Why did they leave Akira, what was there profession and what caused the
father to turn into a demon?

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if that's something I'd really want. Part of the appeal of these adaptations is seeing artists who influenced by a something make their own unique spin on it. To that end, I wouldn't want future creators constrained by Yuasa's approach here, much like Yuasa was not restrained by earlier adaptations of Devilman.
I do agree in principle as you do, that creators should of course have the freedom to pursue their own spins. But at the same time, I really do like the "general aesthetic" of this reboot and how modernized it is and the main character designs. That said if someone were to take that aesthetic and ratchet up the detail and alter it a bit I'd also be very happy with that. Anyway, I just hope someone continues making anime of the franchise using Crybaby as a guide or standard when it comes to the level of quality from now on (tall order I know, but hopefully it will be thought out like that).
Through episode 7.

Fuck Ryo. Seriously, fuck him. Though sometimes it's hard to tell if he's straight up evil or incredibly misguided. Or something. It's really obvious dude is not a normal human. His room number(?) is even 666.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting the show to go this big with the demon stuff. I thought it would be like other shows where humanity is still in the dark, but this went global, and it looks like the world is ending.
Ryo is one of the most evil characters you'll find, and certainly the most evil of 2018 so far (not that that's a hard thing). And yeah, things escalated from like 2 to 10 in such a short order, it's one of the critiques of the show with how its pacing can be so fast that it feels like you're missing out on events that should transpire in between. But also it seems like this adaptation did leave out a few things
In the manga it seems there was greater emphasis on the human-created Anti-Demon Corps the "Demon Busters" which factored into the plot a lot more. Here they are pretty much absent and you only see anti-demon efforts from what we are to assume are just regular military police forces and/or civilian mobs.
Watched this on Saturday. Has stuck with me since. This show is nuts.
It's been over a week since I watched it and it's still stuck. Episodes 8-10 just have such impacts that you'll be left with that imagery for a while.

jromz03

Oct 28, 2017
i liked the show. only read the manga afterwards.

it's like katamari damacy. you start with rolling with small things and in the end its the planet that's the playground.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Episode 8

Man, that was depressing with the girl's family. Damn.

So I guess those times when Ryo seemed decent were because he lost his memories or something? Dude is just straight evil right now. Is he actually Lucifer/Satan?

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Ok was gonna watch Parks and rec first, but ima try this out. How crazy is this compared to one punch man or dbz, those the only a animea ive ever watched, oh I've seen first season of attack titans as well.

Emotion-wise you're in for something like the first half of the first season of AoT (up through the Battle of Trost) but more grand in scale and unhinged in its delivery.

Devilman Crybaby on the whole is a far superior product to Attack on Titan.

For a show called Crybaby -- which features quite a bit, but not an obnoxious amount, of characters tearing up -- it's a world apart from Attack on Titan, which frequently features characters SHOUTING THEIR INTENTIONS AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS!!!

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Episode 9

Well shit. This show has definitely made me a crybaby. Fuck. Think this is the most any anime has made me cry. I mean goddamn, they're just offing characters left and right. I really didn't expect this. :(

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 9

Well shit. This show has definitely made me a crybaby. Fuck. Think this is the most any anime has made me cry. I mean goddamn, they're just offing characters left and right. I really didn't expect this. :(
If you're soul isn't forged in the fires of the Berserk Eclipse you're gonna have a bad time.
Through episode 7.

Ryo is pretty much the character that inspired Griffith, though I'll admit to thinking Griffith is a nicer person than Ryo.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
If you're soul isn't forged in the fires of the Berserk Eclipse you're gonna have a bad time.

Ryo is pretty much the character that inspired Griffith, though I'll admit to thinking Griffith is a nicer person than Ryo.
That Berserk eclipse was def among the most insane things I've ever seen/read.

And wow, that's pretty cool. I can def see the inspiration now that you mention it.

Deleted member 7529

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I know about Devilman is that it's an older franchise and big enough to crossover (Cyborg 009 vs Devilman).

Anyway, just watched episode 1 from the ERA hype and I don't know what this is but I like it!

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the second episode, amazing just amazing.
I have a question, a simple yes or no will suffice.
do they explain how Akira''s best friend knew Akira had Amon inside him? It seems to me his friend knew all along and took Akira to the party to awake Amon.
I watched the original show ages ago as well as the amazing 90's OVA but don't remember the details.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I know about Devilman is that it's an older franchise and big enough to crossover (Cyborg 009 vs Devilman).

Anyway, just watched episode 1 from the ERA hype and I don't know what this is but I like it!
I'm not sure if those crossover's are because the franchise was "big" as much as it was because of Go Nagai.

In Cyborg 009's case, according to Wiki,:
Before Go Nagai became the author of Devilman, he worked as an assistant to Shotaro Ishinomori, drawing backgrounds for the Cyborg 009 manga. It was reported in Sankei Sports that he wished to do a collaboration with Ishinomori.[3]

The other crossover, Mazinger Z vs. Devilman (from back in the 70's) was also just because they were both Go Nagai creations.

It's hard to really quantify just how "big" the franchise was as far as popular culture, though obviously made a huge impact in Japan for certain.

Zaptruder

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Yeah you don't realize how much was inspired by Devilman till you watch Devilman Crybaby. There's stuff lifted by Berserk, Tokyo Ghoul, Parasyte, Bio Booster Armor Guyver and probably a ton more.

Evangelion lifted a lot of notes from it too. Shinji is a crybaby. You've got angels in place of demons, you start off with the baddie of the week formula, but in the last third, the pacing just accelerates into an existential crisis. Then there's the snake eating itself moment of Crybaby paying homage to Evangelion by borrowing a lot of its ending moment visuals from End of Evangelion.

In a lot of ways, Devilman Cry feels like the primogenitor series for the psychological horror bass drop (i.e. take a shonen show, then halfway through, twist it and reveal the insane truth of the construct).

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
do they explain how Akira''s best friend knew Akira had Amon inside him? It seems to me his friend knew all along and took Akira to the party to awake Amon.
I watched the original show ages ago as well as the amazing 90's OVA but don't remember the details.

Yes.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

Yes.

Jojo Leir

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the last episode, what a ride.

A question, though:

Are the post-credits shots supposed to mean something? Maybe how the earth became habitable again after god blew the whole thing up and decided to try again?

I could use something dumb and easy to watch right about now :(

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil

A question, though:

Are the post-credits shots supposed to mean something? Maybe how the earth became habitable again after god blew the whole thing up and decided to try again?

The whole franchise has a 'cycles' thing going on. The two moons at the end are there as a sign that the cycle will start anew, and that Satan will probably fuck up again and kill everyone, only to find out he loves Akira at the end and suffer eternally.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Well, just finished the last episode. I do not like the ending. Give me an End of Eva-style alternate!

Fantastic series, though. I'm left wanting more, but I'm not sure that will happen.

Jojo Leir

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The whole franchise has a 'cycles' thing going on. The two moons at the end are there as a sign that the cycle will start anew, and that Satan will probably fuck up again and kill everyone, only to find out he loves Akira at the end and suffer eternally.

That's fucked up but at this point, I shouldn't be surprised.

Found the wiki; this whole Devilman business sure is a rabbit hole, huh. For such an influential series it's weird how the first I've heard of it was this Netflix series.

Everyone should watch Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou:

eAcRclR.gif

It's free on Crunchyroll, you can burn through it in two hours, and it reminds me of "Be Kind Rewind" for its good-vibes underdog narrative.

I'll check it out, thank you :)

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tonkatsu DJ was a show that could have been greater with more investment from the musical side. It was still one of my top shows of the year, but for a show about an up and coming DJ they had a few songs they kept reusing the whole show.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017

A question, though:

Watch Non Non Biyori or Yuru Camp which started this season. You will be healed.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017

A question, though:

Try Kemono Friends.

OP
OP
duckroll

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Re:Evangelion
https://eva.onegeek.org/pipermail/evangelion/2006-November/003855.html
When the very first meeting was held before the title had even been decided, Anno had already provided the theme of "a battle between gods and humans". Both Anno and I -- our generation -- was influenced by Go Nagai, so making something on a grand scale meant it ended up like "Devilman".
It might not be an exaggeration to say that if you add "Ideon" and "Devilman" together and divide by two, you get "Evangelion". (laugh)

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I had no idea about the Devilman influences until I saw Crybaby, but EoE is basically just Be Invoked, lol.