• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I believe you are misinformed, and I think that's the case with many on this thread.
That is the casa in every GTS thread, lots of people that only read brief info about the game when it came out, never played it and keep complaining about it. Paying to unlock a car that will have BoP applied in any online race is not a meaningful microtransaction. Its not pay to win, there is no advantage over players who dont buy cars, all cars and tracks are still available for everybody, the user base is not divided. Nothing wrong. And the cars that are super expensive ingame cant be bought with real money, so even those players that grinded dozens of hours for them wont feel cheated by this.

Sometimes there are some Sport races with an specific vehicle and this is a way for some people that dont play often to race in there, if they want.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I find interesting is how everyone rips games for micro transactions like this (Shadow of War for example or Forza 7 for having loot boxes that you can't even spend real money on just in game money), but yet this game seems to have a lot of people defending them adding it.

To be open I don't mind micro transactions, just something I found interesting reading this thread.
Sony fanboys. Grown men running damage control for their favourite corp.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I would agree with that. Just like how the peolle who saw "microtransactions" as a negative in Forza 7 hadn't played the game.
What if I think the prize/mod crates negatively affected the progression system that makes it feel like a lesser Forza game? Enough of the generalizations since both have their own issues.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
This sounded great to me personally.. then I found d out the super expensive 10 million credit card aren't included! What's the point in that (I hear people arguing about making online fairer). Meh what actually is the point. The 20 million cars require a shit load of grinding and now still do..

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory System Wars
I can't even blame the likes of Polyphony for lying to their customers. Why wouldn't they, when they have such gullible idiots to defend them?

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I find interesting is how everyone rips games for micro transactions like this (Shadow of War for example or Forza 7 for having loot boxes that you can't even spend real money on just in game money), but yet this game seems to have a lot of people defending them adding it.

To be open I don't mind micro transactions, just something I found interesting reading this thread.
Because those aren't lootboxes and the economy of the game is unaffected?
Because even if you pay for the DLC you don't have any advantage over someone who doesn't ?

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
It's dishonest to predict that without a doubt the inclusion of MTX means that Polyphony will be throttling the game's economy to squeeze real money out of the community.

Again, you're painting them in Bungievision's light and the shit they pulled with Destiny 2's endgame currency returns.

It's totally fallacious discussion and indeed faux outrage.
I said they now have an incentive to do so, which is true. And that any changes to the game's rewards or rate of rewards will be seen in this light, which is also true now that those rewards are tied to monetization.

You are taking what I said, running with it, and then deciding that what you imagined is what I wrote. It isn't.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017

It's definitely interesting, but sadly not surprising

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
If this means we still get free car packs and tracks then I'm ok with it.
I would hate to go back and have to buy DLC car packs and tracks. I doubt I would still be putting time into the game if it was paid DLC every month.

So far I have never bought or used a micro transaction in any game. I honestly can't remember the last bit of DLC I purchased. Maybe it was a level kit in LBP2 lol

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This thread is for people who want to discuss their feelings about microtransactions in Gran Turismo. If you are only here to system war or make community generalizations, don't post.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they changed their stance on MTX but I don't honestly see the big deal. I also wouldn't label this as a lie either. Things change as a game develops and they could have decided MTX was a better option than paid DLC. If people continue to receive free DLC as a result of this, without breaking the balance or progression in the game, it's not something to be angry about IMO.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if someone from Sony had to sit down with kaz and had to tell him "how it's gonna be."

I wonder if kaz got told.

CassiusClay99

Oct 28, 2017
The devs could have kept their word and charged for every DLC pack since April - the date initial post launch updates where promised to. So I, as a GT Sport player, would have been down in pocket by £25-£40. Alternatively they could have launched a season pass. Again, I as a player, would have been out of pocket.

As it is PD are delivering unprecedented monthly updates and it doesn't cost me a penny. It's baffling to see people jump in this thread berating a policy change that benefits me as a player.

So PD releases a game with very little content at full price... and then they "complete" it with free stuff, and people say they are so generous! You already paid for it my friend !! That's what you should've had in the first place!

GTS, even in its latest form, offers way less content than its "rivals" (P cars 2 and Forza...)... but there are still people who praise them for that !

MTX should never be in the game. It's a betrayal of Kaz's word (is there legal ground for a class action in the US ?)

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
What if I think the prize/mod crates negatively affected the progression system that makes it feel like a lesser Forza game? Enough of the generalizations since both have their own issues.

I would agree with that assessment, personally. I didn't like the prize crate system. I was only saying that the people who pretended to be outraged by "microtransactions" in Forza 7 obviously have not played the game.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Game development is...not an easy thing.

I think my initial outrage at the beginning of the thread was just a culmination of the rollin' negativity surrounding GT Sport from people who don't play the game on Era. We get one thread a week asking what Polyphony should do now that GT Sport has failed. Not that there isn't some discussion that could be had there, but the number of people who either dismiss the updates the game has gotten post launch and the ~5 million in sales as disappointing is very strange.

I've always been committed to transparency in my own work, and that has come back to bite me in a big way a year or two out. When I released my game people showed me prototype photos I posted or comments I made asking why I lied about features that were supposed to be in the game...and I, unrealistically, thought they were keeping up with the game enough to know why I would change features or remove them altogether.

I kind of see that with what's going on here- Kaz said no microtransactions, now there's microtransactions. There's cause enough to be outraged. Peel it back and maybe it's not as bad as initially it seems- or maybe it's worse if you feel like they underdelivered with their final product. I don't think anyone is wrong in thinking this isn't a big deal, or is going to boycott GT forever.

Getting flashbacks to the kind of comments that can come back to haunt you, even though, yes, plans changes and strategies shift, is not a fun thing to deal with, because people aren't wrong to feel slighted.

*sigh* I should learn to sit these kinds of threads out, because I'm inherently biased- not because I'm a fan of GT/Sony, but because I know the pain and aggravation all too well of having to shift strategies to something you weren't initially going to do, and had no intention of doing, and the possibility of having mislead some people into supporting a vision you had a year ago that is a completely different vision today. It's no fun for anyone.

I reached out to the OP to apologize, and I'm sorry y'all for trying to stifle an actual discussion.

Appreciate this post, you're a good man.

Polyphony have boobed on this one I'm afraid. It's one thing to change direction one year on, but the fact is they sought -and earned - a lot of brownie points by announcing there wouldn't be micro transactions. It's a bit of a marquee thing to suddenly renege on.

Yes PD seem to have gone for the least intrusive MTX model, but who's to say they won't iterate on it? There's a multitude of ways to tweak the parameters to make buying a car with real currency more tempting, without people really noticing. The door has now been flung open.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
So PD releases a game with very little content at full price... and then they "complete" it with free stuff, and people say they are so generous! You already paid for it my friend !! That's what you should've had in the first place!

GTS, even in its latest form, offers way less content than its "rivals" (P cars 2 and Forza...)... but there are still people who praise them for that !

MTX should never be in the game. It's a betrayal of Kaz's word (is there legal ground for a class action in the US ?)

Eh, I think there's a solid quality v. quantity argument, at least re: GTS v. Forza 7.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microtransations that have no affect on people are fine. It's either going to be that or game prices will have to go up. The issue with microtransations is when they are implemented in the way that they were in Shadow of War or Battlefront 2.

It's an MP-focused game, isn't it? So I would have thought that even if you personally ignore the MTs then you're at a disadvantage compared to someone willing to pay for whatever they want? So you are affected whether you use them or not.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Ignoring mod-post.
I'm confused. Reading over the information it says you can buy cars in the game, but I'm having trouble identifying where the "microtransaction" (As the term is usually applied to video games today at least) element seems to come into it. Is there some form of gambling/randomness to the purchase of the vehicles I'm not picking up on?

Though possibly I'm wasting my time with a good faith question in a bad faith thread.

You must have missed the obnoxious defense forcing of MTs in Forza 7 back when it came out. Some of which came from posters who seem to have changed their minds on the matter looking over this thread.

"Interesting" indeed.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. Reading over the information it says you can buy cars in the game, but I'm having trouble identifying where the "microtransaction" (As the term is usually applied to video games today at least) element seems to come into it. Is there some form of gambling/randomness to the purchase of the vehicles I'm not picking up on?

Though possibly I'm wasting my time with a good faith question in a bad faith thread.

Nope, it's just a way for people who don't have time to play the game to buy the cars they want for instant access. It's also a way for PD to further support the dev team whilst still providing free DLC.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
You must have missed the obnoxious defense forcing of MTs in Forza 7 back when it came out. Some of which came from posters who seem to have changed their minds on the matter looking over this thread.

"Interesting" indeed.

Except Forza 7 has never had micro transactions, but that's for a different thread not this one per the mod post above.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Do we have a price list?

How much are the cars that cost 20,000,000 in-game credits in real money and how much is a Group N car that costs like 40,000 Cr ?

Because the system they had in GT6 where you could buy credits with real money was completely off and unrealistic, double so with the news that a B-Driver was coming in free DLC.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's an MP-focused game, isn't it? So I would have thought that even if you personally ignore the MTs then you're at a disadvantage compared to someone willing to pay for whatever they want? So you are affected whether you use them or not.

How is it a disadvantage when it's something that can be earned in-game and easily at that? It's not MTX's for upgrades that makes your driving better or something like that is it?

CassiusClay99

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, I think there's a solid quality v. quantity argument, at least re: GTS v. Forza 7.

I see this more as "ho w much content do I get for my money?". All things equal.

If we are engaging in a argument about paid DLC vs free ones, I think it's fair to assume they are both at a comparable quality level (which I happen to think btw...) Otherwise you can't really talk : is Spa a better DLC than Le Mans ? Is a fictional track better than a real one? A Ferrari better than a Nissan? It becomes way too subjective imo.

I think you got my point didn't u?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I see this more as "ho w much content do I get for my money?". All things equal.

If we are engaging in a argument about paid DLC vs free ones, I think it's fair to assume they are both at a comparable quality level (which I happen to think btw...) Otherwise you can't really talk : is Spa a better DLC than Le Mans ? Is a fictional track better than a real one? A Ferrari better than a Nissan? It becomes way too subjective imo.

I think you got my point didn't u?

If the content is boring/uninspiring, does it matter if you get a ton of it?

CassiusClay99

Oct 28, 2017
I wish I had the time to compare the prices of the cars since MTX with those in GT4. Might be interesting. (I don't remember cars costing un unrealistic amount of money -say 20 millions- in GT4... were there?)

And many expensive cars could be earned through the campaign (which is not possible now)...no?

Easy Rider

Nov 2, 2017
The thread's subject, resumed in the OP.

I had read the OP before and luckily it has now been edited by a mod to give this thread a better purpose, which is to discuss about how you feel about MT.

Too bad earlier you tried to shut down any nuanced discussion on that when people talked about the MT being limited to cheaper cars or in their opinion not changing the game economy, which are valid points I think.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If there is no benefit to buying MTs then why would they exist?

As a catch-up mechanic as has already been explained in this thread. GTS is a skill-based game, having the ability to buy cars under 2 mil credits with real money isn't going to make the person better at the game It's why there are level boosts in MMO's too.

It would have been one thing if they said "We have no plans for MTX at this time", or something similar. To outright say NO means there won't be any MTX being implemented in the future. So that is a lie, though at this point it seems like a lie with no impact to the game itself.

The free updates are a great thing of course as many posts have mentioned, but I don't think they had much of a choice with how little content the game originally shipped with (if I remember correctly what I have read on that previously. I have not actually played the game).

Personally, I don't blame them for adding MTX to the game. Adding MTX is better than seeing another studio get closed, especially if these MTX currently have no affect on the game. I also believe that having the option to support a developer further than your initial purchase is a good thing as long as it's not abused.

I think the best course of action would have been for Polyphony to release a letter to the community explaining this decision. Be open with your community and they will understand.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Do we have a price list?

How much are the cars that cost 20,000,000 in-game credits in real money and how much is a Group N car that costs like 40,000 Cr ?

Because the system they had in GT6 where you could buy credits with real money was completely off and unrealistic, double so with the news that a B-Driver was coming in free DLC.

Just the cars below 2,000,000 credits are purchasable with real money. And the more expensives cost $2,99.

CassiusClay99

Oct 28, 2017
If the content is boring/uninspiring, does it matter if you get a ton of it?

I think you missed my point. Or maybe I missed my own point. Anyway.

Kaz said there would finally be around 500 cars in GTS... do people think the 250 left will be free? There isn't enough things to do in GTS to earn all these cars... unless you really dig Sport mode. And even so: the fact that you have to wait for specific times prevents you from farming effectively.

I might be wrong but I think that the whole game design will push people towards MTX.

Oct 25, 2017
The updates and DLC content is available for free, and is the same as it was with the past free DLC cars/tracks before MTX was even introduced in this update.

You can now buy cars that cost less than 2million credits in the game with real money, including non-DLC cars. If this option wasn't made available, everything would still be the same.
So you can only use real money to buy cars that cost less than 2m Cr? And there are cars that cost more than 2m, but they can't be purchased for real money, right?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Assuming that the mere presence of microtransactions will definitely cause the publisher to break the underlying game balance is going overboard. We have plenty of games that have a real-money layer on top of a balanced game economy, and that works organically because the sort of engagement/enjoyment that comes out of a well-made service game works whether it's time or money being put into it. "Diff'rent strokes," and all that.

There's some self-inflicted bad press here, but this seems like a necessary step by PD, especially with how quickly the retail pricing was dropped to keep numbers where they wanted them. They're mostly keeping players happy with the content as time goes on, and adding microtransactions now doesn't compromise the progress that game has had.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Appreciate this post, you're a good man.

Polyphony have boobed on this one I'm afraid. It's one thing to change direction one year on, but the fact is they sought -and earned - a lot of brownie points by announcing there wouldn't be micro transactions. It's a bit of a marquee thing to suddenly renege on.

Yes PD seem to have gone for the least intrusive MTX model, but who's to say they won't iterate on it? There's a multitude of ways to tweak the parameters to make buying a car with real currency more tempting, without people really noticing. The door has now been flung open.

You are just using a slippery slope fallacy. We have 8 months of updates to look at, so unless you spot a trend of higher in-game cost vehicles, your arguments hold no water.

Another bullshit. PD released a full game, and delivered on promised free updates. What you think the game is worth, what you think PD owes you is completely irrelevant.

Just listen to yourself, you want a lawsuit against a game...

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a catch-up mechanic as has already been explained in this thread. GTS is a skill-based game, having the ability to buy cars under 2 mil credits with real money isn't going to make the person better at the game It's why there are level boosts in MMO's too.

If two individuals start playing at the same time with a target of the same car, the person who fast-tracks to that car with MTs will have more time with it, so will be at an advantage by the time the other person earns it using in-game credits.

I'm not necessarily against the ability to purchase known cars (read: not loot boxes) via MTs - devs gotta get paid - and I expect Forza 7 to go that way now that they have committed to removing loot boxes and making it GaaS. But it's naive for anyone to say they're not at a disadvantage if they ignore them, no matter how marginal.

Risk Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
So optional microtransactions that don't affect the previous economy of the game while delivering free content every month?
And where is the problem exactly?

Oct 25, 2017
I only read the first page but are people really using "you can turn them off in the menu therefor they don't really exist" as a rebuttal

Really

Truly, really