• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pinco

Feb 16, 2018
Apologies if this has already been answered, do we know if they will release it for PC too?

endzville

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 21, 2020
Scotland
Ah, OK, I've not played in a few years so my memory is a bit foggy.

I'm not sure why people are complaining about how overgrown the screenshots look though. They're all from the tutorial right, which took place in an overgrown, derelict garden area? The first thing you do on Demon's Souls when you get control is walk through a brick corridor covered in moss and vines, and out into an open area which is in disarray.
In terms of the trailer, everything looked fine in that aspect. tHere's a little bit of grass poking out of the ground inbetween the stone flooring at Tower Knight, but that hardly indicates that it's a post apocalypse based hundreds of years later.

The physical changes bother me in different ways from this personally. As I type this someone asked why Boleteria has a Gothic Victorian look now, for example, and there's been lots of differing views on the overall aesthetic and how that's changed.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
At the same time 'Old King Allant' makes it sound like he's a figure from history rather than a current king. It's generally quite vague to me how the times are working.

Remember - Old King Allant isn't even the actual Allant, he's a demon that took Allant's shape. The real Allant isn't called "Old King".

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Remember - Old King Allant isn't even the actual Allant, he's a demon that took Allant's shape. The real Allant isn't called "Old King".
Spoiler tag that! Lol good point though. It's vague enough for me that I can buy the overgrowth but I can understand those peeved that the general mood has shifted.

Wonder if we are going to have to spoiker tag demons souls stuff like people got worked out about FFVII Remake?

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
When the fog appeared, legends came to life. Kind of the same thing for Tower Knight. He was supposed to be some dude with a big shield, but if you extrapolate from that, he's suddenly a giant with a building-sized shield. It's less "time is being warped" and more rumors and hearsays becoming reality.
Makes sense, thanks! It's been long.

I'll then go by "hearsay of a decrepit realm" being the cause of the changes :D

GIANKRATOS

Oct 26, 2017
That doesn't make you immortal. It just means you can't LEAVE. Plenty of NPCs die permanently in the game.

You might be right on that. That doesn't change the fact that it isn't stated anywhere that the event of the game are very very recent, like it just happened. Years could have passed and boletaria, infested by demon's and not attended by anyone became run-down. I mean all this discussion for some weeds in an abandoned castle, like it's an improbable travesty XD

I knew it was going to be like this for some FS fans even before the presentation... I mean i can understand for changes like the flamelurker, but for stuff like this that doesn't impact anything or contradicts the original game...

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine my shock when 5 years from now the beloved Bloodborne is getting remade and people are upset that suddenly the architecture of Central Yharnam is more reminiscent of medieval times and Cleric Beast's left(right?) arm is no longer way larger than the other and the game loses some of its dreamlike aesthetic because chromatic aberration is removed(yes this does add to that effect even if its probably a bit too strong). Mark this post.

Question for thread. Considering this is a complete re-imagining from the ground up do you believe we're going to get all the NPC sidequests and more esoteric stuff like that? If they're able to do all that along with the graphical push theyre making(and nail the gameplay of course), while adding the broken Archstone then hats off to Bluepoint.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You might be right on that. That doesn't change the fact that it isn't stated anywhere that the event of the game are very very recent, years could have passed and boletaria, infested by demon's and not attended by anyone became run-down. I mean all this discussion for some weeds in an abandoned castle, like it's an improbable travesty XD

I knew it was going to be like this for some FS fans even before the presentation... I mean i cani understand for changes like the flamelurker, but for stuff like this...

Isn't the weed hallway in the actual Boletaria Palace, NOT the Vanguard Ruins? Boletaria Palace is very much NOT abandoned.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Oh man, it looks absolutely amazing. These two screenshots in particular are fire:

demons-souls-ps5-screenshots-5.original.jpg

demons-souls-ps5-screenshots-4.original.jpg

I have a feeling how well this looks is going to be brought up a lot when Elden Ring actually gets revealed.
I think the two games will have VERY different approaches to aesthetic.

GIANKRATOS

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't the weed hallway in the actual Boletaria Palace, NOT the Vanguard Ruins? Boletaria Palace is very much NOT abandoned.

I mean yeah, it is not abandoned if you count literally a few imprisoned persons, souless, mindless soldiers, dreglings, demons and dragons lol

Not really the kind of people that would keep boletaria in a good state, come on now XD

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
More than anything I can't wait to find out what the Fractured mode is. If I had to guess, it's a mode that rebalances all sorts of stuff. Maybe swaps out an estus in place of herbs, rebalances weapons (I remember bows being crazy strong in this one?), and more. Anybody else have predictions on this??

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
seriously, the more i think about it the more i think this remake was completely ill-advised. making a remake to a game as vague and as open to interpretation as demon souls without any of the original creators involved just doesn't make much sense. especially when the point of the remake seems to be to mostly serve as a graphical showcase.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
More than anything I can't wait to find out what the Fractured mode is. If I had to guess, it's a mode that rebalances all sorts of stuff. Maybe swaps out an estus in place of herbs, rebalances weapons (I remember bows being crazy strong in this one?), and more. Anybody else have predictions on this??

Because of the name, I kind of imagine it'll be some kind of SSD-heavy twist on the game world. Like the levels are all randomized or mixed up with each other.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
If Bluepoint/Sony Japan do a good job with this game and the sales are good then I can see Sony making the Demon's Souls IP into a series of their own. Souls genre is much bigger nowadays and they can't rely on FROM to be available as they have their own projects to deal with. I need to see the gameplay to see if Bluepoint/Sony Japan can pull this off.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
seriously, the more i think about it the more i think this remake was completely ill-advised. making a remake to a game as vague and as open to interpretation as demon souls without any of the original creators involved just doesn't make much sense. especially when the point of the remake seems to be to mostly serve as a graphical showcase.
Been thinking about this and yeah, like the "meaning" (whatever that is to you) is going to feel so different simply by the world feeling less murky and like, idk dissociative? Like this is not bad neccesarily but it's going to be a totally different piece of art

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Do we know anything more about gameplay etc or are they planning to have this demonstrated during their rumored August event?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Been thinking about this and yeah, like the "meaning" (whatever that is to you) is going to feel so different simply by the world feeling less murky and like, idk dissociative? Like this is not bad neccesarily but it's going to be a totally different piece of art

Japan Studio is still involved in this remake though.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
Ps5 exclusive though I would imagine PC versions of various games in their catalog are possible at this point?

Cool, thanks. It's probably the only game they showed last night which I really want on day one that is potentially exclusive. If it came to PC that would be amazing, but I won't hold my breath. The truth is, if I have to buy a PS5 to play this, I will.

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
I think this looks phenomenal and I embraced the stylistic differences. I don't share the same emotional nostalgic attachment to Demon's Souls as I do Dark Souls, so perhaps that plays a role.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
Eh. Japan Studio is barely a factor. They weren't creatively involved, they didn't make DeS. There's really no reason to be like "all's good" with them involved. Miyazaki and From needed to be involved somehow.
Do we have 100% indication that FROM isn't involved in any way? I haven't see anything definitive, just lots of (reasonable ish) assumptions.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
It was a nice touch to have Shu present Demon's Souls considering the history he has with this title.
"This is crap," Yoshida recalled saying. "This is an unbelievably bad game."

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017

Just watched this again, an excellent video. This will be an especially good watch for people who have played other Souls games but not Demon's. It does a great job of explaining what's so special and innovative about Demon's, some of which was lost or diluted in other entries.

My biggest concern with the remake is it being diluted and compromising to be more in line with recent entries under the guise of QOL improvements.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Eh. Japan Studio is barely a factor. They weren't creatively involved, they didn't make DeS. There's really no reason to be like "all's good" with them involved. Miyazaki and From needed to be involved somehow.

Do we know that? I mean I don't know much about DeS but they did have some input in Bloodborne.

They are not the devs per se but I wouldn't say they are complete strangers about the original game development.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Do we have 100% indication that FROM isn't involved in any way? I haven't see anything definitive, just lots of (reasonable ish) assumptions.
No official word but Fromsoft's logo doesn't appear anywhere and no employee or representative of the company showed up or has said anything on social media about it

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know that? I mean I don't know much about DeS but they did have some input in Bloodborne.

They are not the devs per se but I wouldn't say they are complete strangers about the original game development.

I wouldn't look to them for insight on visual design or game design, at least.

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017

Just watched this again, an excellent video. This will be an especially good watch for people who have played other Souls games but not Demon's. It does a great job of explaining what's so special and innovative about Demon's, some of which was lost or diluted in other entries.

My biggest concern with the remake is it being diluted and compromising to be more in line with recent entries under the guise of QOL improvements.

Yup, Matthew nailed it. I'm already fearful of later influences seeing the Flamelurker depicted as a Lost Izalith-reject and the architecture feeling very Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3-y. Hopefully the bosses are faithful enough and aren't turned in dodge spam fest.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
While it's probably unrealistic to expect a complete remake to capture the same exact atmosphere, that thick, oppressive atmosphere is the biggest thing Demon's still has over the following Fromsoft games, so I get (and share) the trepidation over aesthetic differences. And I'll admit I'm pickier about that stuff than most (even the changes in Ocarina of Time 3D and Wind Waker HD annoy me). Still with the right qol changes and possibly new areas it might still be worth a revisit.

Danexmurder

Oct 27, 2017
Frederick, MD
I'm actually really excited about this. I've been playing through DeS again lately and having a blast with it. Weirdly it isn't nearly as hard as I remember it. I guess all the DS and Bloodborne experience helped when returning to this title.

I actually think the art for the remake looks awesome. Is it a little different? Yes. Is it also really cool? Yes.

In general this looks like it was made by fans of the original who are trying to bring more to the table than what was originally there. Sure it's a little different but it isn't bad. I also think that something as subjective as the vibe you get while playing the game just isn't going to come across in a trailer.

In general I think it's cool to just let this be its own thing. It's DeS inspired by the original. It doesn't detract from how awesome the original game is. Will this be as good? Who knows but it's awesome we're finally getting to go to Boletaria again.

I'm a huge fan of From Software but I don't think Blue Point is going to ruin anything.

I actually imported the Asian version of DeS to play it back when it came out before we knew it was going to get a NA release. I also love how this whole series has its roots in the King's Field series which I was a huge fan of back in the PS1 era. When we getting our King's Field remake?

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
Why some people compare it to OG DS? OG DS was limited by power of PS3 hardware, that's why world looked so empty and bleak, and character design was so simple, not because FS wanted it :)

Instead, people should compare it to original artworks

0xxss8agqbk41.jpg

demons_soul_conceptart_eknYe.jpg
ew59p0011bo41.jpg

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

For DeS and BB? Yes.

Some people on this forum and the old place acted like they were some co-developer and did the big lifting along with FROM which isn't the case.

They mostly did production and tehnical support.

For Demon's Souls, the staff from Sony is credited here from 2:30 (producer, technical support, simulation support, online game support, quality assurance, tuning, promotion, package, manual, supervisors and special thanks).

For Bloodborne, Sony staff is credited here from 2:57 they provided a lot of technical, online, tuning and QA support.

Pesmerga

Aug 22, 2018
Hype is trough the roof here!
Looks so good!

I hope the release gameplay footage before the summer is over.