Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
yeah the reactions calling these big file sizes are odd

people are gonna be shocked by the asset quality when they see Demon's Souls on a 4K TV

I mean were talking about an entire game filled with native 4K assets. If people were expecting like 30GB installs here I don't know what to tell you.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Yes!! we will have 6 or 7 games installed at maximum right??
this is bad but it's what we can to have more competitive price!

J75

Sep 29, 2018
With the price increase and this, this next gen off to a shitty start for me. Ugh.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
50GB and 66GB are not BAD, in that they aren't really worse than current-gen, but man, I gotta say I was hoping install sizes would be significantly smaller next-gen.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Hmm. How fast do you think an external could swap backup installs to the main ssd?

Probably not all that fast, but I guess we'll find out come November. I have a 4TB external with my PS4, so I intend to use that to move games back and forth from the SSD, keeping only what I'm currently playing on the system memory.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so Demon's Souls utilizes the triggers and haptics, but Miles doesn't?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Jesus. Honestly sounds like the expansion cards on xsx might be more affordable

yeah Cerny said they need to be somewhat faster than the PS5's internal SSD in order to function the way it does with its unique I/O interface. For at least the first year or two yeah, expansion SSD for PS5 will be more expensive than the Xbox's proprietary option.

I'm not even considering it. 800GB is honestly plenty for more than a few games at a time (I don't play Call of Duty & GTA and such very much) and I don't mind moving them around in storage. Just gonna use my current external HDD for storage, pick up a couple external SSDs on the cheap when I can.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
This is why I can't got all in on digital and will get the regular PS5 with a disc drive. If I get the DE, I could fit about 5-7 games before I need to buy an NVME drive that cost half the system itself.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
I was waiting for this type of info before I placed a per-order. Think I'll end up buyIng a physical console and pick and choose what games I'll buy digitally and what games I'll buy physically. I've mostly gone digitally this current gen but with my current internet speeds for the foreseeable future I'll probably end up buying a few more physical copies than I usually would.

Saberus

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Files sizes are most likely smaller and they have new compression tech.. but when you throw in true 4k assets and all the other new effects, yeah that data they gained is swallowed back up.

I mean Demon Souls is 66 Spiderman remastered is 55 and Miles is 50, sounds exceptible to me.

Nov 8, 2017
I mean were talking about an entire game filled with native 4K assets. If people were expecting like 30GB installs here I don't know what to tell you.

People took the talk about reduced file sizes to mean reduced gen on gen, not just "lower than it would otherwise be", and this got spread around heaps in relation to concerns over the storage space being so small to begin with. As usual, Sony didn't say games would be smaller than last gen, but the ambiguity as usual worked in their favour. I was cautioning people against assuming that games would be smaller (especially over time, when people are daydreaming about the ssd speeds enabling super fast asset streaming meaning more assets per frame... meaning bigger file sizes), but for many it was not 'obvious'.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
With Xbox Series S, Smart Delivery used correctly could keep file sizes down somewhat if Microsoft can convince its partners to actually utilize it. Series S and Series X versions of games with different assets to match their respective specs.

But we haven't had firm confirmation of this, and I think Smart Delivery is really only used by Microsoft's closer partners on the Xbox One X right now — most devs just still put out a one-size-fits-all file to install in my experience.

MS said this week that they expect Series S installs to come in around 30% smaller than Series X installs.

www.gamespot.com

Games Can Be 30% Smaller For Xbox Series S, Saving SSD Space On Install Sizes

The Xbox Series S comes with a smaller SSD, but Microsoft has a solution that'll help keep game install sizes down.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
I'll definitely be installing PS4 games on external storage, I don't mind the loading times. I currently have a 500GB external SSD but I might upgrade to a 1TB version for that.

I think I should just get used to having less games installed in general. I have like 45 games on my PS4 and most of them I haven't played in years. Luckily I don't have a bandwidth cap so I can always delete and re-download if need be.

Oct 29, 2017
So any normal external HDD will work for PS5 strictly as a backup drive with the intent of moving things back and forth? If so, I am thinking to buy one now in case there's a rush on them during the holidays.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MS said this week that they expect Series S installs to come in around 30% smaller than Series X installs.

www.gamespot.com

Games Can Be 30% Smaller For Xbox Series S, Saving SSD Space On Install Sizes

The Xbox Series S comes with a smaller SSD, but Microsoft has a solution that'll help keep game install sizes down.
Thing is that will be up to the developers and Series S useable space will be closer to half of PS5 and way less than half when compared to XSX.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I hope that they update the OS to support larger hard drives, I have an extra 12tb external laying around with no use and I can't use it on ps4, it'd be nice if that could be my archive drive for the generation.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If 50 to 60 is the average for the time being, I'm not to worried about it for the first year or so.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Hmm 825 GB usable space / 50 GB = 16.5 Spider Mans. Should last me a little while most likely.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Unreal Engine tech demo was the writing on the wall for me. They talked again and again about having large ass "uncompriomsed" assets because the SSD is fast and can load it now. Smaller game sizes was a pipe dream.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
Couldn't even make the file size smaller on launch games, let alone later in the gen.