• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
Are they gonna be UHD discs that hold more data? Or are we still gonna be capped around 50gb and have to download the rest?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I do. It's uncomfortable.

tenor.gif

Are they gonna be UHD discs that hold more data? Or are we still gonna be capped around 50gb and have to download the rest?

They are UHD discs, but for Miles Ultimate the Spider-Man Remastered+DLC content is a download code.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
50GB and 66GB are reasonable next-gen sizes.

Those thinking that games would now magically be 40GB instead of 50-60GB because of the SSD are mistaken because they didn't account for more detailed worlds and 4K assets. Games that may otherwise be 100GB will now be 70GB instead, so around 30% smaller.

With all the talk of SSD and compression I don't really blame anyone for thinking otherwise. Most talk was definitely "It'll be smaller" with no real conversation of "Actually it'll be smaller relative to the increase in textures, etc".

So really what most should've said prior is "It'll be similar in size to us, but reduced for developers compared to how they were working before"

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Physical discs are a big help with managing hard drive space if you have slow internet or a data cap. They might still take up the same space on the hard drive, but you can delete the install to free up space and re-install later from the disc without needing to download it all again. 100GB+ games might mean a huge chunk out of your data cap or a download that takes several days, depending on what kind of plan you have.
This is one of the main reasons I appreciate physical discs. There's a real comfort in knowing I can delete a game and not have to wait hours to redownload it if it was a mistake or I changed my mind a week later. Sure, the patches still need to download but it's still not as bad as having to download the whole game again on top of that. (I was also hoping that PS5 would let you keep patch data on the drive, but only delete the base game - not sure how likely it is we get to control stuff like that).

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
8-10 games at once is fine. I don't typically play more than 2-3 at once. Just put your oldest on the HDD, probably takes 10 minutes to transfer if even that.

PC is more cumbersome doing that because there really isn't a super easy way to transfer back and forth since games directory can mess up and all that.

Mile's filesize is fuckhuge. Physical is gonna be the way to go for along time.
Physcial isn't going to make a difference just like this gen (except Switch). Games copy on to the system anyways and take the same space as digital.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought sizes were gonna get smaller :( Especially Spider-Man
It is smaller. Subtract the standard edition's 50 GB of Miles Morales form the Ultimate Edition's 105 GB and we know that Spider-Man Remastered is 55 GB. Spider-Man on PS4 is 53.61 GB for the base game + 2.2 GB for The Heist + 1.63 GB for Turf Wars + 2.41 GB for Silver Lining.

So that's a total of 59.85 GB on PS4 to PS5's 55 GB.

What a savings!

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Hmm. How fast do you think an external could swap backup installs to the main ssd?

for a 60-80gb game maybe like, 10-12 minutes?

i do a lot of animation and stuff and when I have to move about 60GB of data to/from my SSD (5.0 GBps) to HDD (9600RPM), it takes about 7-8 minutes either way. i know it's not directly comparable but it hopefully won't take like a long ass time.

there are also external SSDs you can use for storage if you really only plan to exceed that ~800GB SSD space by a few hundred gigs, a smaller one shouldn't be too expensive and would be considerably faster.

May 22, 2018
I didn't realize there was a belief games would be smaller in size. This lines up with what I expected. It sucks, but expected.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
66GB is a decent size for a game.

Spider-Man PS4 was about 45GB. With the upgrades they're including, and the DLC, I'm assuming it'll probably be around 60GB-70GB?

That would mean SM:MM would be around 35GB-45GB?

*Edit* Ah, so MM is 50GB.

That's not bad at all.

Agree.
The PS5 will support cold storage attached to the USB C port?
Yeah, when I saw that thread about the which SSD to get because of the speed, I saw one came with a USB C to USB C cord.

I wanna know this too. I'm actually looking for external NVMe too.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Smaller than I thought. Demon Souls with those assets and fidelity would've been 100GB+ on a spinning drive.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. How fast do you think an external could swap backup installs to the main ssd?
100-200MB/s, so around 9-18 minutes for something like Spider-Man U. Write speeds are significantly lower though at around 25-40 MB/s so a swap would take much, much longer. Fragmentation would make that worse. Probably better to just redownload if you have a fast connection.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Um, yeah, looks like getting an external hard drive with at least 4TB or more may be for the best to store all those games when not in use because 825GB is going to be tough to handle.

Oct 29, 2017
All I need to know is what kind of external hard drive should I get for PS5? I like to bop back and forth between so many games at once, so I guess I'll be constantly moving things back and forth between external and internal, right?

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
how does storage expansion work on PS5? Can I just plug in an m2? What m2s work? I wish I had ANY idea about this stuff.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
So will I be able to use my current PS4 external HDD on the PS5? That thing has been a lifesaver this gen.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
So will I be able to use my current PS4 external HDD on the PS5? That thing has been a lifesaver this gen.

yep

how does storage expansion work on PS5? Can I just plug in an m2? What m2s work? I wish I had ANY idea about this stuff.

you're in luck it's all right here

www.eurogamer.net

PS5 SSD expansion upgrades explained: Compatible SSDs and other external storage options explored

How the PS5's external SSD storage upgrade works, including compatible SSDs and other external storage options, explained.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same size as the base game. Spider-Man must have a lot of cutscenes and dialogue. I'm guessing a 25 hour platinum game.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It is smaller. Subtract the standard edition's 50 GB of Miles Morales form the Ultimate Edition's 105 GB and we know that Spider-Man Remastered is 55 GB. Spider-Man on PS4 is 53.61 GB for the base game + 2.2 GB for The Heist + 1.63 GB for Turf Wars + 2.41 GB for Silver Lining.

So that's a total of 59.85 GB on PS4 to PS5's 55 GB.

What a savings!

Well the PS5 version has better assets so in a way you can say the saving was big in terms of not making the game much bigger .

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
sounds about right. People here talking like we didn't have 50GB games en masse on the current gen, and remember most people still have 500GB drives in there.

The only real issue is that having a secondary drive for the PS5 will cost a small fortune because of the new technology compared to HDD's on PS4

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember someone saying PC 4K asset packs were like 20-30gbs in size so I was expecting large sizes.

Looks like Spider-Man 4K is similar to PS4 so that's a good sign.

I don't think Sony should make those GDC talks public, I'm sure some people imagined getting pied-piper compresses sizes after watching it.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think 60GB is insanely small for Demon's Souls considering the detail on all the assets in the game same with MM being only 50GB.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Spiderman PS5 only adding 10GB of extra data could be good indication of how much they've added to the game (not a lot). Unless Spider-man remastered is sharing a lot of assets with Miles.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
for a 60-80gb game maybe like, 10-12 minutes?

i do a lot of animation and stuff and when I have to move about 60GB of data to/from my SSD (5.0 GBps) to HDD (9600RPM), it takes about 7-8 minutes either way. i know it's not directly comparable but it hopefully won't take like a long ass time.

there are also external SSDs you can use for storage if you really only plan to exceed that ~800GB SSD space by a few hundred gigs, a smaller one shouldn't be too expensive and would be considerably faster.

If it does work in ten minutes, i could live with that. I already have an exteral hdd for my ps4 so i dont have to buy anything. Cerny said you can play ps4 games off an hdd, as well.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
With Xbox Series S, Smart Delivery used correctly could keep file sizes down somewhat if Microsoft can convince its partners to actually utilize it. Series S and Series X versions of games with different assets to match their respective specs.

But we haven't had firm confirmation of this, and I think Smart Delivery is really only used by Microsoft's closer partners on the Xbox One X right now — most devs just still put out a one-size-fits-all file to install in my experience.