• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I'm so glad the Shadow of the Colossus remake exists,it shows that BluePoint know what they are doing with these types of projects......this is a bigger one with more gameplay systems but I have faith they will deliver.
Launch day would be pretty great,not getting my hopes up though.

Oct 27, 2017
For me having new Spiderman game and this would be a great launch for Ps5

But is Demons Souls not a bit niche for the wider audience? it would be a killer app for only a select few I imagine

The Dark Souls series has sold over 27 million units total so far. It's not quite up there with titans like COD or Fifa but it's still pretty huge and outside of Nintendo probably one of the biggest Japanese franchises of recent times.

So yeah, the Souls series is in no way niche and if Sony market it strongly I'll bet it could pull 3-4 million sales easily.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd consider the ps5 at launch if it is but I might still wait until I have at least a few titles worth playing now that pc is my main device

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Demon's Souls being a launch title would be a Megaton.

But I'm betting March~May period.

People looking up previous ratings have shown that basically every single Sony game launches 2-3 months after being rated. If DS has been rated now, we can be pretty damn sure it's a launch game barring a COVID delay or some completely unique early rating situation.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't think it'll be a launch title or any other title will launch unless Sony has already said it will be. That said, really hope it isn't too far out.

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017
Demon's Souls and Spiderman pretty much makes this the best first party launch lineup ever for Playstation

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Demon's Souls and Spiderman pretty much makes this the best first party launch lineup ever for Playstation

Right. Throw in AstroBot and its a good way to close out the last 2 months of 2020.
People looking up previous ratings have shown that basically every single Sony game launches 2-3 months after being rated. If DS has been rated now, we can be pretty damn sure it's a launch game barring a COVID delay or some completely unique early rating situation.

Agree. Some good evidence posted already about it coming this year.

I posted already, me also thinking it was coming sometime in 2021 would throw my 2021 predictions completely off if it comes out this year.

I also posted an article that was in 2019 saying they were looking to have their PS5 game ready for 2020. Seems many of us forgot or just didnt know. And like someone said, no time frame listed during the showcase.

Sony out here playing mind games. Also starting to look like having PS5 dev kits out early is paying off big time.

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
Incredible year for Sony if it releases this year. TLOU, Ghost of Tsushima, Miles Morales and Demon's Souls. wow

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if the deathloop delay is making Sony have to push up the ds release just to have a mature game out for the launch

Oct 27, 2017
Was curious to see how ratings work and if the game needs to be finished or not. It doesn't need to be finished at all lol... (in the US at least, but i'm guessing the process is similar in other countries):

ESRB ratings process for physical and digital video games

ESRB uses two different rating processes depending on whether a video game is available physically (e.g., boxed) or only digitally.

Physical games sold at retail are reviewed prior to release, with two key forms of content disclosure provided by the publisher:

1. A completed questionnaire detailing any relevant content (violence, sex, language, gambling, etc.), and other factors such as context, reward systems and player control.
  2. A video showing typical gameplay, missions, and cutscenes, including the most "extreme" content. Unplayable content (i.e., "locked out"), if it is pertinent to a rating, must also be disclosed.
The video is reviewed by at least three trained raters, who recommend a Rating Category, Content Descriptors, and Interactive Elements. The raters' recommendation is then evaluated and confirmed, sometimes following a parity review to maintain consistency across rating assignments with similar content. A Rating Summary is then finalized, detailing the factors that led to a game's rating. Finally, the rating is issued to the publisher, which either accepts it as the final rating or chooses to revise the game's content and resubmit it, at which point the rating process starts again.

After release, testers may also play-test the game to verify that the content disclosure was complete.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it'll be a launch title or any other title will launch unless Sony has already said it will be. That said, really hope it isn't too far out.

Sony have barely said anything though so we can't make any assumptions about their launch and launch window lineup based on what they've shown so far

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if the deathloop delay is making Sony have to push up the ds release just to have a mature game out for the launch

I think Sony's shown as this current generation has gone on that they aren't going to rush games out. This game could be a huge early title for the PS5 and rushing it out the gate could hamper that.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Frankly, I expected DS To be a launch title due to how long we've had rumours on it and a long dev time and also bluepoint prestige.

Covid definitely threw a wrench into my expectation but if they somehow still make it for launch, thumbs up and respect to bluepoint and Sony for adjusting quickly to the situation and somehow crunching this out on time.

Oct 25, 2017
Demon Souls at lunch is believable considering how long we've known it has been in the works.

Would be awesome. Personally, I'm fine with Spiderman and enhanced BC at launch. Anything else is icing.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
This would be a really strong launch title. Definitely something that might push me to pick up a PS5 earlier.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
For me having new Spiderman game and this would be a great launch for Ps5

But is Demons Souls not a bit niche for the wider audience? it would be a killer app for only a select few I imagine
Souls stopped being niche after Dark Souls 1 came out. If they truly can make Demon's Souls a launch title, that would be a major system seller as it's the one souls game that most people didn't play, since it was locked to the PS3.

Oct 25, 2017
Souls stopped being niche after Dark Souls 1 came out. If they truly can make Demon's Souls a launch title, that would be a major system seller as it's the one souls game that most people didn't play, since it was locked to the PS3.

In addition to the fact that it looks incredible which should be a big draw as well. Really hope they can pull it off. Would be a nice holdover until ER drops.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
In addition to the fact that it looks incredible which should be a big draw as well. Really hope they can pull it off. Would be a nice holdover until ER drops.
After their stellar work keeping Shadow of the Colossus faithful to the original, I have complete faith in Bluepoint. My real hope is that if they knock this one out of the park, Sony will tap them to make a Demon's Souls 2 (I so desperately want to go back to Boletaria for more)

Oct 24, 2019
I kinda always assumed this was a launch game based on the fact that this was the first PS5 game (even though we didn't know it was Demon's Souls at the time) that Sony ever referenced in that one interview and that Blue Point were talking about how they wanted to set the bar for visuals on the machine.

Will be interesting to see what happens!

In any case, this game and Miles Morales getting rated, plus that leaked PS5 ad, must mean that we're getting very close to that next rumored Sony event in August ;)

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda always assumed this was a launch game based on the fact that this was the first PS5 game (even though we didn't know it was Demon's Souls at the time) that Sony ever referenced in that one interview and that Blue Point were talking about how they wanted to set the bar for visuals on the machine.

Will be interesting to see what happens!

In any case, this game and Miles Morales getting rated, plus that leaked PS5 ad, must mean that we're getting very close to that next rumored Sony event in August ;)

We only have one week left in August so it would have to be announced probably within the next 4 days if that is the case.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Souls stopped being niche after Dark Souls 1 came out.
I would agree with him, it's still pretty niche.

I mean, it's awesome, I love that Sony are remaking it, but it's more akin to something like an Ico or a Shadow of Collosus than say, Uncharted.

I found it obtuse, gamey and backward (in a good way, but still) back when I played it on PS3. I can't imagine many Call of Duty / FIFA mainstream players picking on a whim with the launch console and necessarily having a blast with it? (of course some will). But I would love it if I was wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
After their stellar work keeping Shadow of the Colossus faithful to the original, I have complete faith in Bluepoint. My real hope is that if they knock this one out of the park, Sony will tap them to make a Demon's Souls 2 (I so desperately want to go back to Boletaria for more)

I am one of those Souls purists so I'm gonna need to play the remake first before getting behind that idea. No one is doing these types of games better than From at the moment.

Id much rather Sony try and get From to make it. But even if it exists and I don't play it, at least it exists for others.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

It looks like they have a slate of titles for the next 12 months and they either already had planned for this to come out. Or they're able to be flexible to adjust to other titles timings. They'd got their PS4 first party output pretty streamlined so hopefully the transition will also be smooth

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Demons Souls in the launch window would be amazing.

weird that people are surprised by this. blue-point said countless times, that their next-project is a ps5 launch game.
same goes for housemarque and returnal.

Nice.
I'm hyped for Returnal and I hope I'm not alone in that sentiment. I need more Housemarque in my life.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017

We already know it's not faithful from the trailer. They completely changed the color palette and art direction. The Boletarian Palace used to be this brutalist utilitarian-looking fortress, but that doesn't do a good job demonstrating the PS5's ability to render complex geometry so they changed it to a more generic fantasy castle look with tons of decorations. The whole world used to be soaked in an oppressive haze, but that's gone too in favor of a more generic God of War-esque color palette.

I'm still very much excited to play the game, but a properly faithful remake of Demon's Souls it is not.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
We already know it's not faithful from the trailer. They completely changed the color palette and art direction. The Boletarian Palace used to be this brutalist utilitarian-looking fortress, but that doesn't do a good job demonstrating the PS5's ability to render complex geometry so they changed it to a more generic fantasy castle look with tons of decorations. The whole world used to be soaked in an oppressive haze, but that's gone too in favor of a more generic God of War-esque color palette.

I'm still very much excited to play the game, but a properly faithful remake of Demon's Souls it is not.
When I say "faithful" in this case, I more mean about how it plays. If they can nail the feel of how a Souls game plays, then that's what matters most.

Oct 30, 2017
If this is an actual launch period game, I think a lot of people will buy it as it will be one of the few next gen looking titles available.

Whether or not they like the game is a totally different story lol

Blue point ought to find ways to make this game more accessible.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017

I mean, it's awesome, I love that Sony are remaking it, but it's more akin to something like an Ico or a Shadow of Collosus than say, Uncharted.
I'd say this is really only true of Uncharted 4, which sold around the level of 1-3 combined. Dark Souls series sales are in line with the other Uncharted games.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I found it obtuse, gamey and backward (in a good way, but still) back when I played it on PS3. I can't imagine many Call of Duty / FIFA mainstream players picking on a whim with the launch console and necessarily having a blast with it? (of course some will). But I would love it if I was wrong.

Almost nothing is on the level of FIFA/COD really. But its not niche. It may not have huge mainstream appeal of the big tentpole franchises, but enthusiasts and those likely to be being targetted by Sony in the launch year will surely have heard of dark souls as a thing? Its pretty much a meme now so it shoudl be pretty pervasive in terms of recognition.

Even if that means people won't necessarily play it, the awareness and availability will still have an impact on the platforms appeal overall.