Status
Not open for further replies.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
"Back That Azz Up"

a3eab751.gif

twitter.com

Eugene Daniels on Twitter

“The wheels are all the way off in 2020. I would’ve never guessed a whole candidate would dance to “Back that Ass Up.” On a stage. With Juvenile. Live. https://t.co/00Y4AwOPau”

Oct 27, 2017
Even in the event of a Biden win this is what I expect on Super Tuesday at worst

ooK0V.png

Blue is Sanders, red is Biden, yellow is Klobuchar (the only other person I expect to win anything, RIP Warren and Bloomberg). The only real tossups in my mind are Virginia and North Carolina; I think Bernie's far enough ahead in Texas polls and demographics are so favorable to him that he will be insulated from any Biden surge.

Ultimately it comes down to margins, Biden's probable big wins in states like Alabama and Tennessee are going to be offset by Sanders' big wins in similarly sized states, and Biden doesn't have a silver bullet like Sanders does with California.

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
Even in the event of a Biden win this is what I expect on Super Tuesday at worst

ooK0V.png

Blue is Sanders, red is Biden, yellow is Klobuchar (the only other person I expect to win anything, RIP Warren and Bloomberg). The only real tossups in my mind are Virginia and North Carolina; I think Bernie's far enough ahead in Texas polls and demographics are so favorable to him that he will be insulated from any Biden surge.

Ultimately it comes down to margins, Biden's probable big wins in states like Alabama and Tennessee are going to be offset by Sanders' big wins in similarly sized states, and Biden doesn't have a silver bullet like Sanders does with California.

Since you said this is worst case, and because Sanders hasn't performed well in sparse Oklahoma polling, I think OK should be red.

Oct 27, 2017
Since you said this is worst case, and because Sanders hasn't performed well in sparse Oklahoma polling, I think OK should be red.
Oklahoma has been looking like a three way pile up between Sanders Joe and Mike, I assume the latter two are going to get in each others' way too much (and it's also a state that Pete can theoritically do well in) and Sanders sneaks out with the win.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
uhhh Biden would have to get a bigger delegate net gain than Hillary in 2016, it's rather unlikely (she gained +25 from SC, Biden is currently 30 behind)

popular vote sure cause Iowa/Nevada are caucuses I guess

The large field makes the viability threshold more salient than it was in 2016.

Still unlikely though, yeah.

Deleted member 8644

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just posting to say that I've basically been nodding in agreement with your posts; I'm also a huge fan of Sanders but early-voted for Warren in the primary. I've been surprised with the extent of criticism of her from the left; her campaign has made a lot of mistakes and but I thought there was more people like me who broadly supported the majority of both of their platforms and made the choice between the two based on how they'd go about implementing their plans, and how we identify with their underlying ideologies. Maybe it's reading too much into the tone of internet discourse but I feel like if/when Warren drops out I'll be like "Bummer, but Bernie's a good dude and as good as second choice as I'll ever get" and I hope that in the unlikely event the roles are reversed, that more people would consider her in a similar way

While there is some unwarranted animosity towards Warren she's also been treated with kid gloves. The interfaith council fuck up would have been a long thread if it had been any other candidate.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Expecting a Biden 10-12 point victory today. Wouldn't be surprised if it's more than that, but I also don't think him winning by double digits makes him as much a lock for the nomination as some say. He seems pretty awful at campaigning generally, and a decent chunk of the Super Tuesday voters will have voted already.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

www.salon.com

Superdelegate pushing brokered convention is lobbyist who funded GOP

William Owen gave $8,500 to the Senators Classic Committee, a joint fundraising committee backing Mitch McConnell

Owen also owns the lobbying firm Asset & Equity Corporations and donated $8,500 to the Senators Classic Committee, a joint fundraising committee backing Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., and more than a dozen other Republicans like Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., last year, according to Federal Election Commission filings first flagged by The Intercept. He has also donated to Sen. Mike Rounds, R-S.D., and Sen. Dan Sullivan, R-Alaska, according to the report.

Owen told The Intercept that he also contributes to Democrats, but the outlet found no record that he donated to any congressional or presidential Democratic candidates this cycle despite backing Democrats in the past.

"I am a committed Democrat, but as a lobbyist, there are times when I need to have access to both sides. And the way to get access quite often is to make campaign contributions," he told the outlet. "I'm a registered lobbyist, and I represent clients. And they have interest in front of Congress, and I attend the Senator's Classic, which is a Republican event, each year."

giphy.gif

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
So, wait, that whole thing where people were thinking DNC leadership was making a conspiracy to stop Sanders were just a single digit number of supers out of hundreds? OK.
I don't think it's single digits.

In fact the NYT's article said it's an overwhelming majority of 93 they interviewed.

Interviews with dozens of Democratic Party officials, including 93 superdelegates, found overwhelming opposition to handing Mr. Sanders the nomination if he fell short of a majority of delegates.
www.nytimes.com

Democratic Leaders Willing to Risk Party Damage to Stop Bernie Sanders (Published 2020)

Interviews with dozens of Democratic Party officials, including 93 superdelegates, found overwhelming opposition to handing Mr. Sanders the nomination if he fell short of a majority of delegates.

Deleted member 171

Oct 25, 2017
So, wait, that whole thing where people were thinking DNC leadership was making a conspiracy to stop Sanders were just a single digit number of supers out of hundreds? OK.

It was always nonsense. Just another "the Establishment is evil and against us" nonsense article.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's single digits.

In fact the NYT's article said it's an overwhelming majority of 93 they interviewed.

www.nytimes.com

Democratic Leaders Willing to Risk Party Damage to Stop Bernie Sanders (Published 2020)

There are 714. Even if all of them had the same exact opinion on the matter (I'd suspect that the majority of those are in a "I'll do what I'm supposed to but I really don't want Bernie to win" state), the vast majority wouldn't be in on it.

Deleted member 8644

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are 714. Even if all of them had the same exact opinion on the matter (I'd suspect that the majority of those are in a "I'll do what I'm supposed to but I really don't want Bernie to win" state), the vast majority wouldn't be in on it.
I agree that they would let Bernie win if he had a plurality, but this kind of reasoning is immensely flawed. Do you think because they only only had an interview with 93 that means that the rest would say different?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that they would let Bernie win if he had a plurality, but this kind of reasoning is immensely flawed. Do you think because they only only had an interview with 93 that means that the rest would say different?
I think that political reporting tends to over emphasize personal opinion to make a clickbait story. It wouldn't be the first time this cycle that that has proven to be the case.

Deleted member 8644

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think that political reporting tends to over emphasize personal opinion to make a clickbait story. It wouldn't be the first time this cycle that that has proven to be the case.
That's still besides the point. If 93 out of 93 superdelegates interviewed said that they'd do anything in their power to prevent a Sanders nomination (which again, I don't believe they will because it would incredibly self destructive) in no way does that imply that the remaining 621 would think the opposite! If anything you'd have good reason to suspect that the vast majority of the others think the same.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's still besides the point. If 93 out of 93 superdelegates interviewed said that they'd do anything in their power to prevent a Sanders nomination (which again, I don't believe they will because it would incredibly self destructive) in no way does that imply that the remaining 621 would think the opposite! If anything you'd have good reason to suspect that the vast majority of the others think the same.
That quote wasn't saying 93 out of 93 superdelegates said that they'd do anything in their power, the "majority" of 93 had some form of opposition to just handing Sanders the nomination if he had a plurality which... technically could just mean that they're against handing it to him under a +2% win which... is justifiable. The broadness of the context would entirely encapsulate situations where they wouldn't be for "just handing over without any fuss" for any candidate.

Deleted member 8644

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That quote wasn't saying 93 out of 93 superdelegates said that they'd do anything in their power, the "majority" of 93 had some form of opposition to just handing Sanders the nomination if he had a plurality which... technically could just mean that they're against handing it to him under a +2% win which... is justifiable. The broadness of the context would entirely encapsulate situations where they wouldn't be for "just handing over without any fuss" for any candidate.
I'm only saying 93 out of 93 to follow your original hypothetic where you said "even if all of them".
"There are 714. Even if all of them had the same exact opinion on the matter (I'd suspect that the majority of those are in a "I'll do what I'm supposed to but I really don't want Bernie to win" state), the vast majority wouldn't be in on it. "
This is what you originally posted, the phrase "the vast majority wouldn't be in on it" is such a major non sequitur. If you wanna argue on the strength of the comments by all means, but going "they only interviewed 93, the rest aren't on it" is nonsense.
Do you think polls have any value whatsoever?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only saying 93 out of 93 to follow your original hypothetic where you said "even if all of them".
"There are 714. Even if all of them had the same exact opinion on the matter (I'd suspect that the majority of those are in a "I'll do what I'm supposed to but I really don't want Bernie to win" state), the vast majority wouldn't be in on it. "
This is what you originally posted, the phrase "the vast majority wouldn't be in on it" is such a major non sequitur. If you wanna argue on the strength of the comments by all means, but going "they only interviewed 93, the rest aren't on it" is nonsense.
Do you think polls have any value whatsoever?
Obviously I had thought it a complete sample when I made the first statement, so I did mess up on that end. However, the wording is still so broad as to include people who are just willing to follow the stated rules in the case that, even with superdelegates in the second round, Sanders doesn't have a majority, which should in theory include everyone, and does not bend in on the original conspiracy that the outed McConnell delegate is pushing.

Saw an interview with Biden outside a polling site where he told someone to be quiet and let him talk. Not a good look.
He is so terrible at being polite to voters which is such a basic, easy thing.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely hoping for a NH situation where the expected front runner isn't nearly as ahead of the pack as the polls suggested. If Biden leads with 10 points or less I'd consider everything to be fine for Super Tuesday for Bernie.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I got a bad feeling for tonight.

What were you expecting coming? Even before a week ago?

Biden's been telling the whole nation that he need SC...that he has SC....even went there early.

I've watched alot of regular people interviews down there... and some can't really explain why they are voting for Joe. They say stuff they hear Biden say. "He'll get it work done", "He can beat Trump"

The one thing that can be worrying is the differences between early poll surveys, compared to the results in SC. There have been YUGE differences in the past two elections.

But if you see these early polls and there's already a big difference, do some really think Biden would go that much higher than he is now...causing Bernie to go into the single digits?

That big difference (# of unaccounted voters), might get spread out evenly (because of Bloomberg and Steyer putting so much money in there) or it might go big for Bloomberg or hell...maybe Bernie.

Should be fun to watch. Because if Biden wins huge... good for him and his campaign for making it happen. But like most say, it might be too late.

Last edited:

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
What were you expecting coming? Even before a week ago?

Biden's been telling the whole nation that he need SC...that he has SC....even went there early.

I've watched alot of regular people interviews down there... and some can't really explain why they are voting for Joe. They say stuff they hear Biden say. "He'll get it work done", "He can beat Trump"

The one thing that can be worrying is the differences between early poll surveys, compared to the results in SC. There have been YUGE differences in the past two elections.

But if you see these early polls and already see a big difference, do some really think Biden would go higher...causing Bernie to go into the single digits?

That big difference, might get spread out evenly (because of Bloomberg and Steyer putting so much money in there) or it might go big for Bloomberg or hell...maybe Bernie.

Should be fun to watch. Because if Biden wins huge... good for him and his campaign for making it happen. But like most say, it might be too late.

I feel like the media narrative will say 'Same thing as in 2016, bernie can't win, it's over".

But like... Why did Biden even spike in the poll?

Guess one positive is Bernie was also going up in the polls also this week.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the media narrative will say 'Same thing as in 2016, bernie can't win, it's over".

But like... Why did Biden even spike in the poll?

Guess one positive is Bernie was also going up in the polls also this week.

The MSM will go nuts with what ever positive result for Biden.... they only have a few days left to affect ST. They will take advantage of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.