• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
South Carolina is extremely conservative, so I could buy the polls honestly. Biden is Republican-lite so a lot of white people will be flocking to him regardless of what he actually says.

It's why someone like Lindsey Graham constantly keeps getting reelected and is doing well now here in the poll despite being tied to Trump.

Imma gonna do my part regardless of what the polls say.
You do realize the Democratic electorate in South Carolina is largely African-American, right?

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina is extremely conservative, so I could buy the polls honestly. Biden is Republican-lite so a lot of white people will be flocking to him regardless of what he actually says.

It's why someone like Lindsey Graham constantly keeps getting reelected and is doing well now here in the poll despite being tied to Trump.

You understand the reason Biden is booming in this poll are older black voters, and not white voters, right?

Cause it doesn't sound like you understand at all the driving dynamics of South Carolina in regards to the Democratic voting demographic.

Oct 25, 2017
Because I think there is a consensus on this being our next big divide to stick a wedge into. Establishment vs new-gen democrats. So you'll see conservative opponents pretending to be on Sanders's side to further drive the division.

We are getting played so damn hard right now.

You know, I kind of wondered that.

But either way Christie's observations on the reasons for Warren's decline are pretty astute.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused why so many people are worried about Sanders losing SC.

That was always going to be a hard state for him. Don't you remember the 2016 primary?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. They really weren't a fan overall. I didn't hear a lot of positivity behind her at all.

That said. Trump had less votes than Romney in MN 2016. It was just the turnout for Hilary was bad.

Yup. There was a LOT of presumption that she was just going to walk away with it because of course she was how is Donald fucking Trump going to *actually* win the presidency? And then well here we are.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

That was always going to be a hard state for him. Don't you remember the 2016 primary?

It's less about losing but losing by a wide margin and having the narrative turned around on him.

Thankfully ST is right after. If Nevada and South Carolina swapped dates, we'd be in much bigger trouble.

Oct 25, 2017
You do realize the Democratic electorate in South Carolina is largely African-American, right?

You understand the reason Biden is booming in this poll are older black voters, and not white voters, right?

Cause it doesn't sound like you understand at all the driving dynamics of South Carolina in regards to the Democratic voting demographic.
Apparently not.

I admit I'm green when it comes to stuff like that. I haven't looked at polling data demographics, but I'm happy to learn though.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Margins, my friends. If Sanders held Biden to a close win it would be impressive. If Biden blew Sanders out he'd be in trouble. And there are plenty of results that fall between those two.

Also LOL @ conservative white people being the reason why Biden would win South Carolina. Guess we get to have the fucking "(candidate I don't like) only wins red states!" conversation again.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON

In their minds they had envisioned Sanders winning all 50 states and being coronated as the rightful reshaper of the Democratic party that everyone would rally behind and ride to victory in November. Him getting blown out by some 40+ points on Saturday to Biden doesn't jive with that fantasy.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Southern blacks really are a different can of worms than black voters elsewhere and the polls suggest Bernie, even though he has seemingly made significant gains with black voters in general; he did better with the demo in NV than he did in 2016 even with a far more divided field, is still struggling to gain any traction with them.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Biden's going to win handily in S.C.

There will be a ton of "Biden comeback? "type stories. That'll help him in Super Tuesday.

Bloomberg's going to open his cannon on Sanders for Super Tuesday.

The next week's going to be rough for Sanders.

The ship will probably be righted a bit when California comes in (later) and he can get a bit of press on that.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really fearful of Bernie losing the primary mostly because I think it's an instant win for trump. The backlash will be worse than 2016 because of everyone feeling over confident.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
In their minds they had envisioned Sanders winning all 50 states and being coronated as the rightful reshaper of the Democratic party that everyone would rally behind and ride to victory in November. Him getting blown out by some 40+ points on Saturday to Biden doesn't jive with that fantasy.

nobody here is saying that lol

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
this pisses me right the fk off.

Colbert, I trusted you.

I thought he was smarter than this.

and how in the world is Chris Christie like... precisely on point with every single thing he says in this interview?!?

I've always thought Chris Christie is smart on how politics works and he just acts like a dumb clown because that's the role that pays him $$$

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really fearful of Bernie losing the primary mostly because I think it's an instant win for trump. The backlash will be worse than 2016 because of everyone feeling over confident.
What we've seen with the "just call him the winner and get behind him already!" stuff has seemed like insecurity much more than overconfidence.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
this pisses me right the fk off.

Colbert, I trusted you.

I thought he was smarter than this.

and how in the world is Chris Christie like... precisely on point with every single thing he says in this interview?!?

edit: I should add, at least Seth Meyers has been covering Bernie honestly - I've switched to watching him mostly now anyway.

Colbert has always come off to me as a very centrist democrat. So no big surprise here.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
There's a big difference between a 5% win and a 20% win. The latter dramatically increases the odds of a contested convention.
this is assuming Biden has the organization to translate his momentum outside of the south. There is just not that much time between the primary results and ST.

sure some support might coalesce but if that makes other candidates non viable the impact might not be as "dramatic" as you think

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Someone else made the case but honestly the best thing for Bernie would be a Biden surge such that it because a de facto two way race that he convincingly wins in the end after the others drop out. Then there's zero question about a mandate and whether he should be the nominee. The split ticket's an easier win but it's a win with an asterisk depending on where he lands.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
There's a big difference between a 5% win and a 20% win. The latter dramatically increases the odds of a contested convention.
The issue is a +20% win potentially puts Biden back on track and he could win the whole thing outright. Sanders hasn't had big margins in the other states and South Carolina is worth quite a few delegates. His whole lead could potentially get erased. Really hoping it doesn't, but I get why people are nervous about the state.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Someone else made the case but honestly the best thing for Bernie would be a Biden surge such that it because a de facto two way race that he convincingly wins in the end after the others drop out. Then there's zero question about a mandate and whether he should be the nominee. The split ticket's an easier win but it's a win with an asterisk depending on where he lands.
I made that case earlier and I stand by it. Biden and Bloomberg cancelling each other out on Super Tuesday is a good thing for Sanders. You don't want all of that establishment vote coalescing behind Bloomberg. Biden winning big in South Carolina is a good thing. Additionally, Biden displacing Bloomberg and Sanders still persevering by a wide margin would also bode well in the long run for consolidating Democratic support behind a clear front-runner.

South Carolina is kind of this unique duck in that Biden will win it handily but Bloomberg isn't in the equation. There's no way it's not Biden's biggest win of the entire primary. He doesn't have the resources and coordination to leverage that win into momentum elsewhere at the moment - especially with Super Tuesday poised to take the win out of his sails shortly thereafter. (And I don't see anyone outside of Klobuchar and Steyer dropping out next week.)

Last edited:

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017

Biden is winning because SC's large black population seems to like him and they're almost all registered D.

The gap between the parties is absolutely massive and even a less-liberal democrat like Biden is still liberal and light-years to the left of every republican. The notion he's a republican lite is silly. His biggest flaw is thinking republicans value the US government's ability to function, but that belief doesn't make him a Republican, because the republicans know what they're up to. The naivete is still a big flaw, but we need to remember that the fascists are the actual enemy here, not people merely proposing a few trillion dollars of new govt programs instead of $50 trillion.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Given that we're in the worst fucking timeline, since Bloomberg joined the race and because Klob and the Rat are fucking terrible, I'm glad that Biden will get the nom since Bernie will unfortunately lose. Warren is done unfortunately.

Tiger Priest

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
New York, NY
Looks like Biden has SC on lockdown at this point. Surprised at the margins in these polls, but they could be an earth shaker if accurate. This primary might just be going all the way to July.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
old southern black democrats value personal loyalty over various lofty promises that have fallen short election after election

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what Warren supporters get out of this election. She's behind Bernie in every state, and Bernie's margins would like be larger in super Tuesday states if she wasn't running.

Status
Not open for further replies.