• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I get that these are technically higher quality, but the SNES versions have a lot of nostalgia value for someone who has played the game a ton.

OnePointZero

Oct 27, 2017
According to this tweet from the same person:

the leaked source code for one of the Super Mario Advance games on GBA contains all the game's instruments and sound samples in a folder with their proper filenames... And it is those filenames which led to them learning the source of each sound and instrument.

The interesting thing is that it seems to be from sourced from Super Mario Advance 1, which is the GBA port of the SNES Mario 2 remake. And because the SNES Mario 2 uses pretty much all the same sound samples as Super Mario World, the sounds found in the Super Mario Advance source code can be mapped directly to Super Mario World.

Thanks for the explanation, looks like I was in the right track :-)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, never seen this artwork

Same for Chrono Trigger. The early promotional videos for it had the original score before it was downgraded to SNES quality:

Ah now this is interesting. I had no idea this was a thing that existed. The audio pitch issues in the footage make for a painful listening experience though lol.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Early MSU-1 patch is out so recorded some samples in game. Tried to get a decent cross section of what's in there but it is still very much being iterated on.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I think even with uncompressed samples we can admit the genesis sounds better now than this does hearing it for the first time. Some of these are good but they mostly sound... weird with clarity. It doesn't make it sound better.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Wow, never seen this artwork

Same for Chrono Trigger. The early promotional videos for it had the original score before it was downgraded to SNES quality:

Now that is cool, I love the battle theme, lots of bass. Never seen that.

I just played MSU-1 Chrono Trigger, but didn't like the symphonic track they used for the battle music, so I swapped it with the alternate MSU-1 Chrono Trigger battle theme, which was very similar to the cart version. Wish I could use that theme instead.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I think even with uncompressed samples we can admit the genesis sounds better now than this does hearing it for the first time. Some of these are good but they mostly sound... weird with clarity. It doesn't make it sound better.
Its a tie. I prefer SNES myself, but the Genesis shined brightly. Streets of Rage 2 is just incredible OST wise.

But for SNES, you had LTTP, Super Metroid, Ninja Warriors Again, Secret of Mana, FFVII, Chrono Trigger, FZero, Super Mario RPG, Plok, Killer Instinct. So many great OSTs.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Have to bring system wars into it...

This is literally about one game's soundtrack.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Help me understand what "restored" means in this context. Restored to what? This doesn't sound like the original SNES game. It (arguably) sounds cleaner/better....?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Help me understand what "restored" means in this context. Restored to what? This doesn't sound like the original SNES game. It (arguably) sounds cleaner/better....?
It is mostly a stand-in for lack of better vocabulary. You are basically hearing educated guesses as to what the soundtracks may have sounded like if the SNES had CD audio. Think Nintendo Playstation. The educated part of restoring it coming from people being able to source the original audio hardware nintendo used to generate the lower fidelity samples used to make the music.

It is kind of like having the original models used to make the animations in Donkey Kong Country rather than just the sprite animations. It is just an interesting exercise.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
It is mostly a stand-in for lack of better vocabulary. You are basically hearing educated guesses as to what the soundtracks may have sounded like if the SNES had CD audio. Think Nintendo Playstation. The educated part of restoring it coming from people being able to source the original audio hardware nintendo used to generate the lower fidelity samples used to make the music.

It is kind of like having the original models used to make the animations in Donkey Kong Country rather than just the sprite animations. It is just an interesting exercise.

I gotcha. Thank you! I was wondering if this was intimating that this is how the game actually sounded like back on the SNES and we've all been enduring some kid of shit version in all the emulated/Virtual-Console versions ever since for the past 3 decades.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney

Yep, but the issue is if CD audio was on the cards, they may have chosen to do something completely different, and they may have chosen (and in many cases almost certainly did) the original samples only due to the sound they made after compression being suitable.

An example of what a real SNES CD soundtrack would almost certainly have been are things like the MSU1 patches for Earthworm Jim 1/2, which use the Mega CD/Saturn CD soundtracks, rather than 'decompressed' versions of the SNES soundtrack.

That said, some of these exercises end up with good results. The DKC MSU1 patches sound almost identical, just clearer, so are a nice boost even if not what would have been done if CD was available.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Clicked on this thread on a lark and I am surprised at how delighted I am by these recreations. Something about being the same sounds but uncompressed is just magical, even more than they very good covers and such done over the years.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017