• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I said wow. Fortress is banger.

More songs at the YouTube channel as well. They're working on the whole OST.

Last edited:

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
These sound so good! I can't wait to hear Star Road with the secret Mario theme, and SMW has my favorite End Credits track out of all the games. If they manage to do the same thing with Yoshi's Island I will freak out

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
These sound so good! I can't wait to hear Star Road with the secret Mario theme, and SMW has my favorite End Credits track out of all the games. If they manage to do the same thing with Yoshi's Island I will freak out

The samples were fished out of the gigaleak so there might be ones that were in the music for Yoshi's Island too.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
That's really amazing. By restoring do they just mean for listening or could there be a way actually add these uncompressed samples back into the game somehow?

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk this sounds so FUCKING GOOD

ezgif-4-743d5ebba67b.gif

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
You'd be surprised at just how many game soundtracks from the SNES to even the PS2 used samples from the M1, D-50, SC-55, SC-88, etc. Just last week I found the original sample for the slap bass used in Romancing Saga 1, 2 and 3, on a TX16W. A lot of Nintendo games used D-50 sounds.

However you can definitely lose something when you try to recreate it using the sequence data from the game. Composers would use a lot of tricks to make the channel count and samples sound bigger and more detailed than they actually were, which ends up sounding like a mess when you shove the original sample on it.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
This was such an amazing game to come with the SNES console right off the bat. Compare to other "this comes with the system" games on other consoles and I don't think there's any better. (There's probably some I'm unaware of.)

I always loved the ragtime renditions of the "Athletic" tune. Like this one that was a sight read:

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
You can actually tell they are steel drums on Overworld. Idk how I never noticed that before
This was such an amazing game to come with the SNES console right off the bat. Compare to other "this comes with the system" games on other consoles and I don't think there's any better. (There's probably some I'm unaware of.)

I always loved the ragtime renditions of the "Athletic" tune. Like this one that was a sight read:

I love Tom Brier's playing. It's a shame about what happened to him

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Now I want to hear restoration versions of the new SMW themed tracks in Super Mario Maker 1+2.

Hoagmaster

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been listening to that cleaned up Forest of Illusion track for 20 minutes now. These are awesome.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
The piano in the Athletic theme sounds so much more richer and fuller than the final version.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't find them nearly as interesting to listen to as the originals. They sound like generic 90s rompler music/MIDI files now whereas it was all the tricks and creative choices behind the optimization techniques that made SNES music stand out from its more advanced contemporaries.

rewkol

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You can actually tell they are steel drums on Overworld. Idk how I never noticed that before

I love Tom Brier's playing. It's a shame about what happened to him

I don't know how well you follow the Tom Brier situation (I personally don't follow it too closely) but as of a few months ago Keeper1st put an update on youtube a few months ago saying that Tom has finally been moved to a neurological rehab centre. It is truly a shame what happened, and although he will probably never be able to play that well again, hopefully now he has the resources to improve his condition.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I... I don't like these as much and it's making me feel like there's something wrong with me.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care what they say they found in the gigaleak, several of these new samples don't sound anything like the original.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I... I don't like these as much and it's making me feel like there's something wrong with me.
I don't like them as much either, but I still find them kinda cool. To each their own. I grew up with these compressed SNES songs and fell in love with them, so decompressing them is going to sound weird to me.

nodakel

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I don't care what they say they found in the gigaleak, several of these new samples don't sound anything like the original.

I think a couple reasons some of these are off is due to the fact that the songs aren't exactly one-to-one recreations. Some of the attack/sustain/decay/release patterns are off on the strings in the Fortress song, and it also sounds like the Forest of Illusion song has a bit too much reverb added.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
This is really impressive, but I.....think I like the original more by a fair margin? At least from what I've heard so far. The synths and some of the sounds here just don't sound very good to me. Something about it screams MIDI keyboard. Whereas I really like how the SNES soundchip sounds.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I agree. What Super Mario World uses for its "strings", is basically just a single cycle looped waveform that's similar to a saw wave. It doesn't seem to have any roots in a full string sample even if you tried to cut it down, it actually reminds me of those very simple synthetic violin sounds you'd get on some old workstations.

DNOmSEz.png

And it's even present in Yoshi's Island too and used similarly to Mario World, despite that game having a full string sample. Koji Kondo could have used the full string samples like in many other songs in that game, so there's definitely a creative reason why he used such a simple sound that I think is lost here.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
This stuff is always so awesome, like when Grant Kirkhope released his uncompressed Goldeneye soundtrack.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
underwater and athletic sound great. fortress samples seem wrong to me, and the synth in the middle of the main overworld them sounds off too

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
so this is what koji kondo really wrote then huh? its kind of crazy hearing more details in the music, even instruments I didnt notice before. Pretty awesome stuff! obviously the originaly compressed versions are where the real nostalgia lies, but this is a really fun 'hd' style to listen to!

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
This sounds like what I'd imagine if the game somehow made it on to the Playstation 1, with that crisp CD audio.