Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
The controller is actually solid value vs the competition. For $70, the same price as the Switch Pro controller and just $10 more than the Dualshock 4 or Series X controller, you get;
  • 1560mAh, 4.2V, 6.6Wh lithium ion rechargeable battery (more capacity/power than any other controller besides the $180 Elite 2, and more than even the additional $25 Play & Charge Kit)
  • Voice Coil Actuator motors (next-gen haptics)
  • Adaptive triggers
  • Built in microphone
  • Built in speaker
  • Stereo headset jack
  • Accelerometer
  • Gyroscope
  • Touchpad
  • Lightbar/LED's
  • Completely new form factor
  • Bluetooth 5.1
Also, the DualShock 4 already had the highest polling rate and lowest input latency of the main controllers, and I'm guessing the DualSense will be at least as good on that front.
Yep crazy how much they packed into a single controller.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Are both side panels easily removed? Seems like Sony could just sell you black panels or you could paint them.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
clever video....... but it's not just the haptics. the speaker in the controller does a lot of the work to signal to your brain what that rumbling should "feel" like. as I co-wrote at Ars:

arstechnica.com

Hands-on with the PS5’s synesthetic DualSense controller

Haptic rumble + synced sounds from controller speakers = a unique gaming experience.

When Astro gets blasted with wind, the full-controller rumble is met by the sound of a breeze. And though the controller rumbling is very similar when Astro slides across the ice a few minutes later, the "skkkkt" sound of skates cutting across the rink creates a completely different sensation.

blodtann

Jun 7, 2018
I really wish this was a standard so that we could have the same experience on other platforms, that way devs could really play with this and not just bolt this on as an afterthought for cross plat. Very very cool. Can't wait until I can try it :))

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I know this is just how Twitter is, and by chance..but still this is what some are seeing when they scroll down. Quite the difference. 😆

Screenshot-20201029-143949-Chrome.jpg

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Watching the triggers fight you back seems "next gen"

I really hope that third party devs can implement this on PC if I plug in my DualSense

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
clever video....... but it's not just the haptics. the speaker in the controller does a lot of the work to signal to your brain what that rumbling should "feel" like. as I co-wrote at Ars:

arstechnica.com

Hands-on with the PS5’s synesthetic DualSense controller

Haptic rumble + synced sounds from controller speakers = a unique gaming experience.

Great article! So excited!

One thing If you could answer please! .. Is the experience diminished when using headphones in the controller instead?

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
The Dualsense is awesome.

On a not-so-much sidenote :
This video is fucking amazing, I don't know much about Dave and his channel, but he does such a good job explaining all the tech insinde the controller and how it feels to the user, and all in under 6 minutes, I am amazed by.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Really nice video.

Also, am i dreaming or was there also mention varying resistance on sticks for dual sense ? Its not mentioned it in any videos

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Really nice video.

Also, am i dreaming or was there also mention varying resistance on sticks for dual sense ? Its not mentioned it in any videos

No varying resistance in the sticks. I think there might have been some patent applications around that which is where that chatter might have come up way back when. But that didn't make it into this product.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
I predict this will be completely underutilized.

The switch has something similar but it's barely used outside of some launch titles.

Maybe for Sony exclusives, I doubt any multi plat games will support it.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Sony needs to start writing checks to ensure devs make use of the DualSense features. It would be a waste see it only used in first party games. Jim better make sure he's dropping bags of cash.

Seems everyone is raving about the controller and is good to have a differentiator between these systems.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
The controller is shaping up to be the most 'next-gen' thing about these systems outside of the SSD.

Dreaming.
No varying resistance in the sticks. I think there might have been some patent applications around that which is where that chatter might have come up way back when. But that didn't make it into this product.

Oh ok, thanks for that. I don't know why in my mind it was a thing where Cerny mentioned the various degrees of resistance on sticks when walking on different surfaces like lose on ice and heavy in the mud .

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
The controller is actually solid value vs the competition. For $70, the same price as the Switch Pro controller and just $10 more than the Dualshock 4 or Series X controller, you get;
  • 1560mAh, 4.2V, 6.6Wh lithium ion rechargeable battery (more capacity/power than any other controller besides the $180 Elite 2, and more than even the additional $25 Play & Charge Kit)
  • Adaptive triggers
  • Built in microphone
  • Built in speaker
  • Stereo headset jack
  • Accelerometer
  • Gyroscope
  • Touchpad
  • Lightbar/LED's
  • Bluetooth 5.1
Also, the DualShock 4 already had the highest polling rate and lowest input latency of the main controllers, and I'm guessing the DualSense will be at least as good on that front.

It's all going to come down to build quality. My early DualShock 3 lasted 10 years and thousands of hours, and that's all I want from the new controller.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the adaptive triggers are cool. I want to make the most of those first three weeks before I drop the controller and it never quite works right again.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Oh ok, thanks for that. I don't know why in my mind it was a thing where Cerny mentioned the various degrees of resistance on sticks when walking on different surfaces like lose on ice and heavy in the mud .

Ahh, you've just reminded me, I think you might be thinking of the Wired report. This commentary from the author:

First, I play through a series of short demos, courtesy of the same Japan Studio team that designed PlayStation VR's Astro Bot Rescue Mission. In the most impressive, I ran a character through a platform level featuring a number of different surfaces, all of which gave distinct—and surprisingly immersive—tactile experiences. Sand felt slow and sloggy; mud felt slow and soggy. On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumbsticks really feel like my character was gliding.

So I think that's just an indirect impact of the haptics on the 'feel' of the traversal through the thumbsticks, on his perception of how things felt, rather than anything actually directly physically changing about the thumbsticks.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
By all accounts, the power difference isnt that big. The speed advantage of Sony's HD isnt that big either. So what sets them apart? The controllers, the exclusives, and the services. At this point, exclusives aren't even close. Sony has them at launch, MS doesn't. They also have a more interesting controller that's getting rave reviews. It's not hard to see why people like me who were on the fence about which console to main are now choosing the PS5.

Yep, I didn't mention the exclusives cause at the end of the day that's very subjective and MS seems to have increased their portfolio substantially for this gen, but the controller is simply objectively better. It's really a shame there's no demo kiosks this time around.

fadeawayjae

May 31, 2019
How much extra development resources do you think this will take for a developer to implement? Do multi-developers try not do too much for one platform over another for feature parity sake? I hope they do incorporate these in their game as it will only add to the game experience.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Ahh, you've just reminded me, I think you might be thinking of the Wired report. This commentary from the author:

So I think that's just an indirect impact of the haptics on the 'feel' of the traversal through the thumbsticks, on his perception of how things felt, rather than anything actually directly physically changing about the thumbsticks.
Yes, this is what I was talking about. Either they were dabbling on this tech before and discarded it or just mistake on interviewers part

tastybread

Oct 27, 2017
The controller is shaping up to be the most 'next-gen' thing about these systems outside of the SSD.

Dreaming.
Tbh that was one of mark Cerny's key points with the road to ps5 video earlier this year. They (Sony) want to have features in the ps5 that truly differentiate it from the PS4. 'If all we're doing is upgrading the systems power and specs, then that's not a true generational leap'. Roughly quoting. Console wars aside, Sony being a Japanese company is such a selling point for me. They're just so clinical and attentive to all the details over there. It's crazy!

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this is what I was talking about. Either they were dabbling on this tech before and discarded it or just mistake on interviewers part
They are saying that the controller haptics are what made it feel sluggish because of the surface, not the sticks directly. It is poorly worded.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
The controller seems very cool but my only concern is the lifespan of the triggers.

With my DS4 I had to replace the triggers twice due to the spring/resistance feeling very "loose" and "light", likely due to my hours of playing FFXIV with the triggers and holding them down and using them so much playing that.
With the DS4 it sucked but was a simple enough fix and the shoulder buttons and springs were dirt cheap on eBay (like a set of 10 or 20 or something cost next to nothing) but with the DS5 how strong/long will the motor last for the triggers? What happens if/when it wears out? Seems like a much more complex and expensive thing to fix.

It's the same with the Xbox elite v2. Problems with the face buttons and shoulder buttons but it's much more expensive and harder to get into meaning harder to fix those problems compared to other controllers. Even the Switch with it's terrible drifting is a fairly easy and cheap replacement (not the whole controller, I mean just the stick part).

I REALLY hope they last but it seems more and more controllers recently have bad build quality and just don't last like they used to compared to how much I played games previous gens compared to now with work and shit.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
How much extra development resources do you think this will take for a developer to implement? Do multi-developers try not do too much for one platform over another for feature parity sake? I hope they do incorporate these in their game as it will only add to the game experience.

From a dev at Activision

Not terribly hard to implement at all. We had solid testing software, instructions and example materials from Sony very early on. I'd be surprised if other groups didn't support these features for the foreseeable future.

Sign

Oct 31, 2017

If you listen to the Giant Bombcast this week Jeff misspoke and talked about the adaptive tension on the sticks when he meant to say triggers. Other than that, I haven't heard that said anywhere else.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
  • Adaptive triggers
  • Built in microphone
  • Built in speaker
  • Stereo headset jack
  • Accelerometer
  • Gyroscope
  • Touchpad
  • Lightbar/LED's
  • Bluetooth 5.1

It also supports USB-C headphones/sets

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
I have no desire to fight with the controller, regardless of how 'difficult' what I'm doing in the game is. Maybe I'm just worried for my old man hands, but it seems like something that would be cool once in a while, but ultimately a gimmick that gets immediately turned off in the options menu.