Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, and it wouldn't surprise me if Kojima Productions was one of the first studios to get a dev kit.

This was the one bad thing about the video.

He said this and also that developers wouldn't support it much outside first-party, but we've seen and heard the opposite.
When he said that I thought he was referring more to creating haptic feedback specific to each individual surface and material like Astrobot does, but I might not have been paying enough attention.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Think it's very smart by Sony to be putting the effort they have been into the PS4 (touchpad/speaker/share-button) and the upcoming PS5 controllers (haptics/adaptive triggers/inbuilt mic).

It's the main piece of hardware that the user will be holding and interacting with throughout the whole generation, which makes it a significant portion of the experience... so again, very smart of them to put the effort in and glad to hear the positive initial impressions.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Dave Lee and MKBHD are the right types of youtubers and tech professionals, chilled, calm, laid back, non obnoxious and have a very good style of video. No wonder bother are very successful at what they do. Same for Josh Vergara and mr mobile. Can watch these vids all day long.

Hate the hole linus and others have crawled down.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
This sounds really good, but one question arent all those variations of rumble and speaker output (potentially) going to destroy battery life. The description sounds like devs have a lot of choice to add varying levels of haptic feedback but will I have to charge the controller more often. looks like it..

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds really good, but one question arent all those variations of rumble and speaker output (potentially) going to destroy battery life. The description sounds like devs have a lot of choice to add varying levels of haptic feedback but will I have to charge the controller more often. looks like it..
Yeah, all of this sounds amazing, but I feel like for games that use this aggressively, we're going to get like 4 hours of battery life lol

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic way to demonstrate the tech, I really wanna use the DualSense.
I've seen it said elsewhere, but I also really wanna see what someone like Kojima would do with the DualSense, his games still have some of the most creative uses of hardware and software ever.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about the marketing, I'm saying that the DualSense is literally the most important feature that sets apart the PS5 right now and makes it a possible better deal than the equally priced Xbox even though the latter may have better specs.
Aside from the DualSense, the I/O of the PS5 is actually the area with the bigger differences. I think the gameplay difference will be stark and much more pronounced than the way the Series X's slightly beefier GPU separates itself from PS5's. The value prospect will always be subjective.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the dual sense is so cool, exciting to have a controller with a normal design and great features for the first time from sony since... ever. Really bummed that the xbox controller is Nothing.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Well of course it's the most important feature now since they don't have the power advantage anymore.
By all accounts, the power difference isnt that big. The speed advantage of Sony's HD isnt that big either. So what sets them apart? The controllers, the exclusives, and the services. At this point, exclusives aren't even close. Sony has them at launch, MS doesn't. They also have a more interesting controller that's getting rave reviews. It's not hard to see why people like me who were on the fence about which console to main are now choosing the PS5.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Think it's very smart by Sony to be putting the effort they have been into the PS4 (touchpad/speaker/share-button) and the upcoming PS5 controllers (haptics/adaptive triggers/inbuilt mic).

It's the main piece of hardware that the user will be holding and interacting with throughout the whole generation, which makes it a significant portion of the experience... so again, very smart of them to put the effort in and glad to hear the positive initial impressions.
Bingo. "Immersion" that rumble and trigger could turn out to give people advantages in certain games, because its another way of feedback with actionable things in games.

Especially if devs get crazy and allow you to set trigger points for a game, or they set the trigger points on weapons you have way way way better feel for it, or with rumble you get feedback as soon as you hit somebody or someone is close to you vs just the map and its directional In a way since you pretty much can replicate sounds.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
That grey look is fucking nuts, holy shit. Are those the platestation joints? Cause if they really look that good, yeah, I'm coppin.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
A point that people should be aware of, a Dev in another thread said that implementing the extra dualsense features wasn't that difficult so there is a good chance that 3rd parties will be willing to keep using these features going forward.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I don't think Sony will require them to return their review consoles, since they are retail units.

Yea, they all got retail units they get to keep.

Well hot damn, good for them!

Also, congrats Dave! I didn't know he was on Sony's radar to get one like that. (no offense) Always liked his channel even if he covers a lot of things I'm not interested in. Will watch this when I get home.

Sign

Oct 31, 2017
While the haptics/triggers (and the UX cards) will require a non-zero amount of work from devs, I wish people wouldn't be so quick to write them off as "third parties will never use it". In the end I think it comes down to how easy Sony has made the system to implement. In the case of the haptics and feedback if they have solid enough libraries and algorithms to generate base level haptics, that might be enough to drop into place with minor tweaks. Of course, Sony could really half-ass it and require a tonne of individual development and tweaking from each game in which case, I agree that it will likely get ignored or made low priority.

I think the ideal scenario would be their first party studios doing a lot of the heavy lifting on initial developments and use cases to build out the code for it and then they make those libraries available to any dev putting a game out on the system.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am surprise the DualSense is that price since DS4 still runs for 65 and this is a new controller with all those features plus big new ones.

The controller is actually solid value vs the competition. For $70, the same price as the Switch Pro controller and just $10 more than the Dualshock 4 or Series X controller, you get;
  • 1560mAh, 4.2V, 6.6Wh lithium ion rechargeable battery (more capacity/power than any other controller besides the $180 Elite 2, and more than even the additional $25 Play & Charge Kit)
  • Voice Coil Actuator motors (next-gen haptics)
  • Adaptive triggers
  • Built in microphone
  • Built in speaker
  • Stereo headset jack
  • Accelerometer
  • Gyroscope
  • Touchpad
  • New RealTek Audio Chip
  • Lightbar/LED's
  • Completely new form factor
  • USB-C with HID and Audio
  • Bluetooth 5.1
Also, the DualShock 4 already had the highest polling rate and lowest input latency of the main controllers, and I'm guessing the DualSense will be at least as good on that front.

Last edited:

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully MS brings similar features to the Elite Controller 3 and then all multi platform games can implement those cool features

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
its exclusives, nothing else.
FemaleInsignificantIrishsetter-size_restricted.gif

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
When he said that I thought he was referring more to creating haptic feedback specific to each individual surface and material like Astrobot does, but I might not have been paying enough attention.
He said it will be a lot of work to implement a "tacticle feedback system" into games like Cyberpunk 2077, so he may have been referring to the earlier example in regards to developers offering the same level of depth as Astro's Playroom. That's understandable.

By all accounts, the power difference isnt that big. The speed advantage of Sony's HD isnt that big either. So what sets them apart? The controllers, the exclusives, and the services. At this point, exclusives aren't even close. Sony has them at launch, MS doesn't. They also have a more interesting controller that's getting rave reviews. It's not hard to see why people like me who were on the fence about which console to main are now choosing the PS5.
The on-paper comparisons and theoretical maximums show that it kinda is, by quite a ridiculous margin.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Made me more excited for Kojima's game. I can only imagine what he'll do with the controller.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm really looking forward to trying this controller, man I'm not so sure if I'll get a PS5 on day one anymore, my friend who was going to help me with that says there's a lot of demand and can't ensure I'll get a unit.