signal

Oct 28, 2017
What are some optional bosses in the Souls franchise that you most likely skip during repeat playthroughs for whatever reason?

For Dark Souls 1, Gaping Dragon always since I hate the Depths, Kalameet usually (though I'll get him shot down for the cool cinematic), and Centipede Demon.

Dark Souls 2, Belfry Gargoyles (invasion-ridden hellhole area), Royal Rat Authority (terrible boss), sometimes Darklurker. Always go out of my way to beat Executioner's Chariot though.

3, just Midir I think.

If Bloodborne counts maybe only Lawrence.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
No such thing as an optional boss, son. If victory can be achieved than it's mandatory.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
Kalameet and Midir. I beat them on my first playthrough of their respective games, and once was enough for me.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I always skipped the entirety of the Depths and Blighttown after my first playthrough. Fuck those places. I also always joined the Chaos Covenant so that I can skip most of Lost Izalith.

Oct 27, 2017
Sometime last year I played through Dark Souls 1 and 3 again with friends, don't think we skipped anything except Midir in 3. Poor Priscilla :( Skipped the entirety of 2, though, that game is too awful to replay.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything in the Chalice Dungeons once I got the Platinum, and Laurence the First Recolour.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Optional?

I don't follow guides, so I have no idea what is optional before I beat it and see a dead end in that route.

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Ancient dragon always.
most of the times the 3 DS2 DLC optional bosses (not Alonne...) because they can go fuck the ancient dragon.

Last time I fought Midir was probably the last one though. I think 3 times is enough.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Only the DS2's coop bosses. Shit wasn't designed for one player, so I don't partake in that bullshit.

Amakusa

Powered by Friendship™
Nov 2, 2017
Lud and Zallen because fuck the Frigid Outskirts

Came into the thread to post this. I really like DS2 and its DLC, but I did this zone once and won't engage with it anymore. Ever. The worst thing ever designed for a FromSoft game, King's Field included.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Chaos Covenent lets me skip stuff I hate in my least favorite part of the game, it's really worth.
if only there was a way to skip Crystal Caves on a normal playthrough too...

Nov 13, 2017
In DS1, the reskins of the asylum demon. I've never been able to beat Ancient Dragon in DS2. DS3 I've beaten every option boss and enjoy them all.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Priscilla lies to your face and expects you to just walk away.

"This land is peaceful" my ass.
c76.jpg

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In 1? Gwendolin, Priscilla, Asylum Demon.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
only Ancient Dragon on DS2.

i really don't like to kill dragons, more less if the fight is shit.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Priscilla, Ancient Dragon, Gaping Dragon sometimes. Those are the only ones I can think off of the top of my head at the moment.

Oh, and Gwyndolin.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't done the optional boss of the cold dlc in Dark Souls II. I was ready for the game to be over at that point. I should go back and do it though. I'm like 500 levels over the content.

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 1: If I'm not specifically going for all bosses, I'll always skip Moonlight Butterfly. I kind of don't even remember it exists most of the time, I don't even hate the fight or anything.

I also skip Ceaseless Discharge every now and then, but just because the skip is a ton of fun to do. Way more fun than the fight or the gimmick.

Capra and Gaping Dragon are also only if I'm specifically going for All Bosses. Same reason as Ceaseless, the Blighttown Skip is more fun to do than fighting these guys.

Dark Souls 2: I very rarely bother fighting the Darklurker or the Ancient Dragon. Darklurker is a wonderful fight, but the quest is kind of a pain in the ass to do. I did the Rotten% route a couple of times because it's fun messing with the soul memory.

Almost never do the DLC, I don't like them nearly as much as most fans, and the game is already too long as is. And when I do enter them, it's usually either only Shulva or only Shulva and Brume Tower. Fuck Eleum Loyce.

Always skip We're The Rats as well.

And probably more I'm not remembering at the moment.

Dark Souls 3: I don't like Ringed City, so I'll often skip the fantastic bosses just to not waste time with the rest of the DLC. I'll often also skip Wyvern and Nameless King. They're not bad, but not that good either.

Bloodborne: Some times I skip Bleric Ceast. Boring reskin fight.

Sekiro: I've been doing Immortal Severance the most, so I skip the Hirata fights almost every playthrough since the first 10 or so playthroughs.

Demon's Souls needs some complicated skips to skip any boss at all, so I never bother skipping any.

Last edited:

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
There are some bosses I skip for playstyle reasons (like, say, avoiding Gwyndolin if I want to do Darkmoon Covenent stuff in Dark Souls), but the only boss I'm inclined to just skip entirely unless I have a really OP build is Lud and Zallen, because they're extremely difficult, have one of the longest and most brutal run-ups in the series and crap rewards (which I guess is intentional since they're designed to be co-op or maschistic extra challenges). The other DS2 co-op challenges are along those lines but they're far more beatable in comparison.

Ancient Dragon would be that too, but SOTFS made him piss-easy with a little fire resist stacking (also helps that the preceding area is far easier, fairer and more fun to replay in that version too), though I mostly don't bother anyway because he's chill and the reward isn't much use.

Last edited: