• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I've said this before, but it's painfully obvious even moreso now with PC reviews that the game isn't fully optimised and "finished". Launching with bugs was expected because every fucking enormous open world RPG does, but the extent of the bugs seems very significant and we've no clarity on just how comprehensively the day one patch (patches?) will fix things. The fact CDPR are crunching right up until literally the day the game drops (and beyond, I assume), alongside the multitude of delays, is indicative of the overworked production team being chased by a finish line. Throw in the facts that the actual next gen visual optimisations wont land until next year, and seemingly that the launch PS5 build runs in backwards compatibility PS4 mode while the Series X build at least offers performance/quality, and you have a game launching that hasn't finished cooking.

The game just isn't ready. Bugs are expected but unless the day one patch is some magic fix all it seems their regularity is genuinely intrusive and disruptive. Post-launch patches are more primed to fix the bigger issues and smooth out the experience. But the Series X and PS5 builds technically not being finished at all is another giveaway. You're legitimately not playing the fully optimised next gen console build until next year, at some vague date we don't know.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I've said this before, but it's painfully obvious even moreso now with PC reviews that the game isn't fully optimised and "finished". Launching with bugs was expected because every fucking enormous open world RPG does, but the extent of the bugs seems very significant and we've no clarity on just how comprehensively the day one patch (patches?) will fix things. The fact CDPR are crunching right up until literally the day the game drops (and beyond, I assume), alongside the multitude of delays, is indicative of the overworked production team being chased by a finish line. Throw in the facts that the actual next gen visual optimisations wont land until next year, and seemingly that the launch PS5 build runs in backwards compatibility PS4 mode while the Series X build at least offers performance/quality, and you have a game launching that hasn't finished cooking.

The game just isn't ready. Bugs are expected but unless the day one patch is some magic fix all it seems their regularity is genuinely intrusive and disruptive. Post-launch patches are more primed to fix the bigger issues and smooth out the experience. But the Series X and PS5 builds technically not being finished at all is another giveaway. You're legitimately not playing the fully optimised next gen console build until next year, at some vague date we don't know.

Sooo, Cyberpunk 2076 until patch X then?

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

don't forget we are also supposed to be getting a witcher 3 next gen revamp somewhere in all this too. there's biting off more than you can chew and there's what the CDPR higher-ups have been barrelling their teams through

Jocund

Mar 9, 2018
Did any reviewers mention the fan noise on PS4? Some games are quiet, like Ghost of Tsushima, where others have the thing screaming like a banshee. I'd like to know beforehand if this is going to be a headphones-on-all-the-time game or not. I'm assuming it will be since that's virtually every game on PS4 but I can live in hope it won't be too obnoxious...
All the published reviews are PC.

Unfortunately

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Saw the official Epilepsy warning from the EULA on Twitter.

This is all the game has to say about it.

EovYh09XUAAx0JK

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Having both third and first person character interactions and combat is not nearly as simple as being able to toggle vehicle viewpoints, the animation work is significant and third person driving is basically the default view in most games.
Default view or not I think they should have reinforced their vision for the game world and experience by imposing first-person during driving as well.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
If PS5 and Series X have 60fps modes then there's no reason why Series S shouldn't have it too.

They barely managed to get the game out the door in a playable state. We know the Series S defaults to One S BC if there is no native support. I'm sure the XSS mode will be smoother by the luxury of brute forcing some stuff, but there are plenty of reasons why it may have slipped through the cracks. Hopefully not for S owners.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure, he responded directly to a tweet of a picture someone took of a day 1 patch that was 43gb, and the dev replied saying that there's another one on top of that. So I'm gonna guess and say altogether it'll be around 50-70gb total maybe? But of course I'm just guessing, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

My initial preload was 102GB which I believe included the 40GB+ patch, but then I got a 28GB patch today that dropped the file size down to 101GB.

Oct 27, 2017
Went from "I can't wait for this game" to "Hmm, this shit is dubious but maybe it's just the marketing" to "I'll wait a couple of months for bugs to get ironed out and maybe a discount".

Maybe the impressions on here will skew me another way later on, but reading stuff from reviews like "this is not as well written or adult as The Witcher 3" which was cringy as fuck in its teenage horny tone, and a shit-ton of bugs destroying the tone, has really made me afraid to buy it day one.

Hope it's good for you guys!

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Don't a lot of games have an epileptic warning?
I had a friend get seizures from Zombies ate my neighbors. I don't see why someone makes a big deal on this games warning.

There wasn't a warning at first, the warning was added to the EULA which no one reads, and the patterns seem to be particularly bad.

Oct 29, 2017
I want to confirm something I read earlier in the thread. Playing on the Series X, the game is very soft. I tried turning off dof, CA, and film grain, but it looks like upscale 720p. It doesn't help that Ove been playing Native 4K games since I got the console, but this looks like it has a softness filter applied.
It looks fuzzy. Your description of the soft filter makes sense. Today's day one patch didn't change visuals at all. Been playing on PS5.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Went from "I can't wait for this game" to "Hmm, this shit is dubious but maybe it's just the marketing" to "I'll wait a couple of months for bugs to get ironed out and maybe a discount".

Maybe the impressions on here will skew me another way later on, but reading stuff from reviews like "this is not as well written or adult as The Witcher 3" which was cringy as fuck in its teenage horny tone, and a shit-ton of bugs destroying the tone, has really made me afraid to buy it day one.

I don't think there's any question that if you have the patience to wait, waiting is the move here

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017

You don't have to play the game on day one. Wait for the patches to come. We will get a good read tomorrow on what the day one patch does or does not fix.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So you're telling me there is hope for my 1050 ti?
I think so, you gotta remember it runs (at least from what i've seen) relatively good on the OG xbox one.

and it looks fine.

on another note, i'd be really curious to know how the game runs on Stadia. if people have a decent internet it might be a good opportunity to try it out.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did any reviewers mention the fan noise on PS4? Some games are quiet, like Ghost of Tsushima, where others have the thing screaming like a banshee. I'd like to know beforehand if this is going to be a headphones-on-all-the-time game or not. I'm assuming it will be since that's virtually every game on PS4 but I can live in hope it won't be too obnoxious...
Feels like a safe bet that it will sound like it's about to explode at any second for the duration of the play through.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Don't really give a shit about the NPCs, I can role play that in my head easily (pandemic, stay at home orders, whatever).

I just hope it runs smooth on the PS5. Can't wait for next gen version because I am living pretty much month to month..

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
I was able to get the game early thanks to a certain mom-and-pop shop in Los Angeles.

I'm playing it on a PS5 and I can say the game appears to run at a pretty stable 60fps, but I'm still in the prologue (playing as Nomad life story) so I can't speak to the density of the pedestrians or other vehicles in Night City yet (the prologue itself appears to be rather long and fairly linear right now).

When I installed the game, there was a rather large 46-ish GB patch to download (which I presume is the day-1 patch), along with a 52-ish GB install from the disc itself (not unlike Red Dead Redemption 2, for anyone who has that on PlayStation).

I think I might hold off on any further progression until a few more patches hit. I have a ton to play from last gen and given how finicky the PS5 OS is coupled with a game like CP2077, which seems like it's going to get a slew of patches even before the "next-gen patch" hits, I think it'll be a better, more stable experience in 2021.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think so, you gotta remember it runs (at least from what i've seen) relatively good on the OG xbox one.

and it looks fine.

on another note, i'd be really curious to know how the game runs on Stadia. if people have a decent internet it might be a good opportunity to try it out.
Where did you see it running on base Xbox one?

Gorger

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
As hard as it is going to be I've decided to wait with playing this game for my own reasons, and probably wont play it until I have a PS5 and the PS5 patch has been included. It's going to be torturous staying dark and avoiding spoilers as this is the only thing the internet is going to be talking about for the next two months.