eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I think most would agree that street-slang and gutter-talk absolutely have a place in appropriate settings. I doubt you'd find anyone suggesting the Cyberpunk cast should be speaking in Shakespearean early/modern English.

My problem was that the dialogue just didn't feel like it was written very well. It felt like it was trying to hard to be edgy. Like an elementary kid just learning to swear, making every third word they speak a vulgarity. The flow doesn't feel natural or authentic at all. It feels forced.

I thought V's lines were fine, though they didn't flow with the conversation as well as I'd hoped. Jackie's constant quips felt too much though, and I'm not sure how I feel in general about the way he talks. Speaking as a Californian, it felt on the side of stereotype instead of natural, but maybe Hispanics would disagree.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Really now? I'm comparing two types of media, tell me why are movies, books, comics, graphic novels allowed and not video games.

A) They did, but they shouldn't be forbidden from using any language they see fit to convey their films same as CDPR with their video games.

B) It's a setting filled with degenerates and a society that has collapsed, yes it stands to reason such language would be fairly common like when I walk into a bar.
Basically this, yeah. I still hate the writing, but use of slurs shouldn't be disallowed given these people are meant to be actual dregs of society. The fact they're using offensive language is kind of... fitting, isn't it.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

*deep gasp* baaaaaaad words

Y'all got no problem turning a dude to mist but this is the debate of the thread? No wonder CDPR didn't want to show anything.

Nov 5, 2017
That was an unreal demo. This scene was especially jaw-dropping considering what other open-world games tried to do with human density in a city...cough, cough..Watch Dogs...cough, cough

40MGJ7y.png

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Some futuristic setting can kind of be portrayed however someone wants.
And it's still open to criticism. Frankly, the dialogue is a lot weaker than the Witcher 3
which could probably win a world record for the amount of times the word "arse" is used.

A) They did, but they shouldn't be forbidden from using any language they see fit to convey their films same as CDPR with their video games.
No one said they're forbidden.

B) It's a setting filled with degenerates and a society that has collapsed, yes it stands to reason such language would be fairly common like when I walk into a bar.
And they could still be more creative without veering into "ow the edge" territory.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

*deep gasp* baaaaaaad words

Y'all got no problem turning a dude to mist but this is the debate of the thread? No wonder CDPR didn't want to show anything.

lmao thats not what we're saying but keep acting like minorities not wanting to hear slurs thrown around for 100 hours in a fucking fictional future setting that has no reason to use such language is unreasonable ig

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
What's the name of the main character tho? Vi Jaina? is that her name or... nickname? I watched the whole stream on my cellphone, need to get at home to watch it in its full glory. The name sounded dumb to me.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Having mercenaries who are killing people for money with no apparent reservations using pejoratives like pussy and cocksucker is not, like, an endorsement of using those terms. You're not exactly playing as a great person.

I generally try to avoid language like that in my day-to-day, so it's not like I disagree that using those terms those ways is bad. But to me it honestly would feel weirdly sterilized if every bad person in the game meticulously used non-bigoted insults. It doesn't feel like speaking that way is being glorified or legitimized. To me, anyway.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
finally some gameplay. been looking forward to this game since it's announcement way back when. after watching this it's defo not my cup of tea. pass

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
That was an unreal demo. This scene was especially jaw-dropping considering what other open-world games tried to do with human density in a city...cough, cough..Watch Dogs...cough, cough

40MGJ7y.png
Well, Watch_Dogs 2 was certainly an improvement over 1 in that area. There were some crowded places.
But i agree that this is insane. I constantly kept thinking how much work went into just at what we've seen in this demo.

Looks great but SO MUCH CHROMATIC ABERRATION, first thing im gonna do is turn that shit off!
True. But in this game it kinda works, i think.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
the dialogue was cheesy too :(

shame that they threw in the JC word too. Doesn't really bother me. But my friend who was super hype about this game now won't play...cuz she's religious and won't watch movies or play a game that uses the lords name in vain. She hates first person shooters anyway tho.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that an IP created by a black guy is one of the most hyped games of the year brings me great joy.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's supposed to be an ugly and terrible world through and through.
If someone thinks calling someone a pussy is okay because a THUG in a video-game says it, well then he/she is no better than the thug
It shows that despite the advancement in tech humans are still as awful as ever, we STILL haven't grown up
You could also say it's a reflection of our current society, the worst parts made obvious.

So when you hear "pussy" in the game, you have the same gross reaction you would as in real life, that's the point
But when it's said by your protagonist's partner and your protagonist doesn't react to it (or get the option to react to it), the game also kind of implies that it's not a big deal and there's nothing wrong with it. They could've also opted to have their futuristic society be past homophobia, racism and sexism and still shown all the worst sides of humanity. People can just all treat each other like shit equally :p. As BossAttack said, if these terms actually refer to narrative themes and issues like homophobia and sexism are addressed in the story, it's fine. But if they aren't and they're just throwing these terms in as random standard swear words without any kind of reflection, I'll view that very critically.

Oct 25, 2017
I think most would agree that street-slang and gutter-talk absolutely have a place in appropriate settings. I doubt you'd find anyone suggesting the Cyberpunk cast should be speaking in Shakespearean early/modern English. People (including myself) adore Tarantino movies and those push the limits of vulgarity.

My problem was that the dialogue just didn't feel like it was written very well. It felt like it was trying to hard to be edgy. Like an elementary kid just learning to swear, making every third word they speak a vulgarity. The flow doesn't feel natural or authentic at all. It feels forced.

It's incredibly disheartening coming off of Witcher 3, which basically wrote the book on nuanced and sophisticated character interplay. Perhaps only rivaled my Naughty Dog or Rockstar's impeccable work in script and voice acting.

I'm still on board with 2077. And I fully understand that it's a work in progress. I'll be there Day One.

It's just that about the very last thing I expected to walk away with feeling underwhelmed was the quality of writing and voice acting. It's almost like seeing a mainline Mario debut video where the jumping mechanics looks like crap.
The dialogue flowed fine besides some of Jackie's lines and I really don't see the issue with the voice acting in this demo.

RobotMoses

Jun 3, 2018
As I've already mentioned, I don't give a fuck about there being swear words, it's about the particular swear words being used:

You obviously do care. I does say something about that person in the game - it could make him kind of a dick (whoops?) for using them that way - does he seem like a person who would care? Saying it has an effect, but he doesn't give a shit about it. What about all of the other characters in the game that DON'T use them in that way? Then that says something about them, no? You really think people won't use certain swear words or use them in a specific way 60 years from now? Those words have existed and been used for more than 60 years in the past.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
agree i ampretty underwelmed after how good ghosts of tshushima, last of us 2 and spider man all look, graphicswise. not to mention it doesn't really look all that much better than horzion or god of war and nowhere near as good as detroit.

underwelmed like many others in this thread with what is essentilly a watch_dogs 2 clone with rpg elements...

Some of you are transparent as fuck. Like it's borderline shilling as this point.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
If they can hit close enough to this come release, they will have such a hit on their hands. Ugh, the wait is gonna be tough. I wanna play through this world right now.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Without any hyperbole whatsoever I am saying that this is the most amazing game reveal I have EVER witnessed in all the years I've had on this earth. I have never been so immersed simply being introduced and walked through a game world before.

If they deliver here, which seems to be the case, CDPR will cement themselves as the premiere game developers in all of gaming bar none.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Having mercenaries who are killing people for money with no apparent reservations using pejoratives like pussy and cocksucker is not, like, an endorsement of using those terms. You're not exactly playing as a great person.

I generally try to avoid language like that in my day-to-day, so it's not like I disagree that using those terms those ways is bad. But to me it honestly would feel weirdly sterilized if every bad person in the game meticulously used non-bigoted insults. It doesn't feel like speaking that way is being glorified or legitimized. To me, anyway.
It's not about the terms being "glorified" or "legitimized", it's about those slurs in particular feeling especially targeted at certain types of people - people who deal with more shit than the majority on account of, y'know, being the ethnic or gender or sexual minority.

It's not fun to keep hearing that shit day-in, day-out, especially when I just want to sit back and play some fuckin' video games.

Also doesn't help keep it from sounding ridiculously try-hard edgy.

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017

Hopefully more people buy this than bought Deus Ex: MD, Dishonored 2, and Prey!

As a native spanish speaker, I've always hated that (or any variaton of english+any other language), to me it doesn't feel natural and I've always saw it as a cheap/lazy way to write foreign characters. It was especially annoying in Altered Carbon, for example.

But I guess it must be an latino-american thing, because you won't find any mexican (for example) speaking english throwing random spanish words just for the sake of it.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
You're kidding me, right? Got any more false equivalencies to throw around?

For starters, don't use "pussy", use something generic like "weak shit" instead. Don't use "cunt" (especially if the game is supposed to take place in LA and not in Australia or the UK), use literally anything else that isn't a gendered slur.

And fictional universes use made-up slurs all the fuckin' time. This isn't a new problem specific to Cyberpunk 2077. Don't make excuses for them.

"Weak shit" just doesn't have the same impact or rolls of the tongue as well as "dick" or "cunt", it's not as short or sharp [like most swear words are]. Maybe calling them "fucks" would work better, but that would got old pretty quickly (I do think they should diversify a bit those "cunts" flying everywhere though).

And I'll take real world swear words like "shit" over made-up "shtako" (example from defiance, but there's more equally bad examples) any day of the goddman week.

Like "I'm cleaner than a cunt at a convent." That is hella ow-the-edge.

That was hella cringy. xD

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could have not taken the corrupted chip and just bought the robot without resorting to violence.

But yeah, I don't think people should expect that much depth from the conversation system when it comes to RPG features, it's probably based more on actions than through requirements, it looks deeper than Witcher 3 in some ways but less than New Vegas.

Witcher 3 had a super basic skill check system so I assume they got rid of that since it was basically a waste.

Yeah witcher 3's check was basically did you level up 1 tier of Axii, 2 or 3? And if you did you basically had an instant "I win" button in dialogue that didn't really change anything, at best it let you avoid a combat scenario. That's probably the thing most devs miss the point on with skill checks, they use it as a get out of combat switch and that's it. That's fine and all but people need to understand that's the most basic level of skill check possible, it's not going to impress veterans of the crpg/wrpg genre. Most don't tie the skill system (if they even have one, most modern games don't) into the core of the game but when CDPR announced that cyberpunk was going to have a skill system my mind immediately jumped to new vegas and I got excited. Maybe that's my fault for expecting too much, but it really should be the gold standard of which RPG makers strive for in a modern RPG.