• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
No disrespect, but would you expect Martin Scorcese or Quentin Tarantino films for example to be devoid of racial slurs?

I don't expect video games to be different.
Probably shouldn't be comparing shootbang cyberpunk video game set 50 years in the future to the work of Quentin Tarantino and Martin Scorsese, (a lot of their work is also set in the past or modern day btw).

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I guess it's too much to hope for CDPR to show a vision of the future that, while shitty in other aspects (poverty, crime, corruption), doesn't involve putting down women and minorities huh

Okay fine, suggest some dialogue changes then
Would it have the same effect if he called them dirt-lickers or something?
Nonsense words or fake-insults would feel silly

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Looks super impressive, the density of the city is something else. The character models are also a huge improvement. The art, cloth, weapon designs are all top-notch.
Gameplay-wise it's mainly Deus Ex HR with a higher budget. Not a fan of this type of gameplay. Third-person would have make me much more interested. The slow-mo moves look like fun. I understand why they chose first person. It's just simpler with this level of interaction and realism.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
* hopefully the gameplay mechanics, and weight get refined to a point where it is pristine ( metro exodus/titanfall 2) levels of refinement and feedback/wieght

- and these pictures arent that great atm honestly. sunset overdrive is leaps and bounds more dense., but that is comparing an unfinished product to a complete one, and thus invalid.
Sunset Overdrive is an empty world.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
there is a reason why I put the end of the sentence you so intelligently left out.

my take is invalid, as sunset overdrive is a finished project and cyber punk isnt.

please if you quote me, do the whole thing.

I watched the video, and look at the pictures people post. everything is clean, and the models go basic very quickly.

I am hopeful the game will turn out amazing once closer to launch, no doubt it will.
Even with the rest of that sentence you take makes no sense.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll just wait and see how this turns out. After reading the E3 impressions my hype returned a little but now after seeing this it's clear that it is nothing like that very first teaser trailer with the woman a few years ago. The tone and setting there seemed to be much darker, more serious and more .....a different style altogether. The E3 trailer disappointed me in that regard and sadly it continues after this footage.

After that first trailer a few years ago I just pictured a totally different looking game, art style etc.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished watching the entire thing and honestly it didn't really do a whole lot for me. Sure it looks great but that was expected. From a RPG perspective I really didn't see much in there that looked impressive and it seemed to copy their formula with witcher 3 where a lot of it is on the shallow end to appeal to more people who prefer streamlined experiences. I don't want to be too critical since it is just a very early demo but everything I saw in there seemed to be on the same level as lots of modern "RPGs" and even things like Deus Ex MD. Most conversations only had 1-3 choices, I was told that there's lots of choices in quests but I didn't actually see anything in the vid. It looked like you could either shoot the place up immediately or talk for a bit and then shoot the place up. Where are the skill checks in dialogue? I saw 0 the entire video, so they need to do better there. The whole thing felt very guided and cinematic which again it's hard to tell how much of that was just the demo or if that's where they're aiming (my gut tells me the latter, since it's what the masses and the media prefer).

Then again the more I think about it the more I'm starting to think New Vegas ruined gaming for me and we're never going to see another RPG on its level ever again. The amount of choices and skill checks that game had, with like less than 2 years of development, becomes more and more insane to me as time goes on. I really hope CDPR improves on the systems and stats in the game from here until launch because they have the cinematic stuff that everyone loves too much down already. It's time to work on the meat of the game now. I really do hope they can pull it off.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
As I've already mentioned, I don't give a fuck about there being swear words, it's about the particular swear words being used:

For me it would all depend on the execution, certain swear words used and presented for simple flavor that does not add to the themes being explored would be bad. But, they can use racial or any other slurs they may like if they actually tackle those issues.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
No disrespect, but would you expect Martin Scorcese or Quentin Tarantino films for example to be devoid of racial slurs?

I don't expect video games to be different.
You're kidding me, right? Got any more false equivalencies to throw around?
Okay fine, suggest some dialogue changes then
Would it have the same effect if he called them dirt-lickers or something?
Nonsense words or fake-insults would feel silly
For starters, don't use "pussy", use something generic like "weak shit" instead. Don't use "cunt" (especially if the game is supposed to take place in LA and not in Australia or the UK), use literally anything else that isn't a gendered slur.

And fictional universes use made-up slurs all the fuckin' time. This isn't a new problem specific to Cyberpunk 2077. Don't make excuses for them.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Probably shouldn't be comparing shootbang cyberpunk video game set 50 years in the future to the work of Quentin Tarantino and Martin Scorsese, (a lot of their work is also set in the past or modern day btw).

Why not? Aren't video games aspiring to be viewed as art the same way as films? Also we're talking about a distant future that has degenerated not gotten better, so it stands to reason that people are still using loaded and racially infused slurs.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Well maybe I was too hyped as I was expecting something even more impressive.

Its looking good and they have a lot of time to improve/change many things.
  • They choose the game to be first person for better immersion (and I don't have any issue about that) but they must have a more minimal interface to achieve that. It doesn't help at all to have all these indicators on the screen. Also I am not a fan (on this type of game) of the enemy hit damage numbers.
  • The car chase is not looking good. On this early build it is without a doubt (for me) the worst part of the demo.
  • I would like the final game to have more destructible environments. Especially on the final fight the mini-boss is firing with a very powerful weapon and we don't have any destruction or bullet penetration. He hits the car hard and the car is pushed back but doesn't have a single bullet hole.
  • The graphics are good but I was expecting to be more impressive. Details and density are very good for an open world game. I just have a feeling that this game would be very different if they had as a target the next generation. I know that they can't loose the many millions current gen consoles sales but I think that the scope of the game would be even more impressive if it was a next gen title. And is not going to help if we have a 20 TFLOPs 3080 Ti GPU when is released, the game has to run on this generation consoles. And to be honest the details and the density that they have is absolutely impressive for this generation.

1. UI is probably early days, but yeah it needs cleaning up. They confirmed you can turn off damage numbers though.
2. Yup, car chase is probably the worst part of the demo, though I didn't think it looked bad per se. Just not up to the standard of the rest of it
3. Did you not see the bullet holes or the giant piece of wall blown out during the earlier gunfight? The boss weapon looked more like some kind of force energy
4. As already discussed, detail and density -- especially given each NPC has their own schedule and agenda -- are at a level we haven't seen before, so I'm not sure how that's not impressive

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, I'm scratching my head that people are complaining about the cussing and problematic language. Like, these are bad people. Of course they'll be saying terrible things and using foul language.

I would find it weird if they weren't.

I think most would agree that street-slang and gutter-talk absolutely have a place in appropriate settings. I doubt you'd find anyone suggesting the Cyberpunk cast should be speaking in Shakespearean early/modern English. People (including myself) adore Tarantino movies and those push the limits of vulgarity.

My problem was that the dialogue just didn't feel like it was written very well. It felt like it was trying to hard to be edgy. Like an elementary kid just learning to swear, making every third word they speak a vulgarity. The flow doesn't feel natural or authentic at all. It feels forced.

It's incredibly disheartening coming off of Witcher 3, which basically wrote the book on nuanced and sophisticated character interplay. Perhaps only rivaled my Naughty Dog or Rockstar's impeccable work in script and voice acting.

I'm still on board with 2077. And I fully understand that it's a work in progress. I'll be there Day One.

It's just that about the very last thing I expected to walk away with feeling underwhelmed was the quality of writing and voice acting. It's almost like seeing a mainline Mario debut video where the jumping mechanics looks like crap.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sry but that type of language is used in the real world. It's being offended for the sake of being offended.
It's not the real world, though, it's a fictional video game set in a fictional sci-fi universe. They've made the very conscious decision to carry over these kinds of current-day swear words and the implications they hold into that universe even though they've changed and gotten rid of many other aspects of our current-day world and even though using these specific terms adds nothing whatsoever to the experience that couldn't be achieved using other, less problematic terms.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Doesnt look very Cyberpunk though. That's my only big issue. Where's the big night time city scape?

Indeed, it's way too bright. Reminds me of this.

Gits_image_gallery_13.jpg

Not cyberpunk at all.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
  • The car chase is not looking good. On this early build it is without a doubt (for me) the worst part of the demo.

Totally agree with this. I even feel as if it's a recurring theme in this type of open world game. Any time you have to shoot out of a vehicle that you're not steering it's just awful. It doesn't feel good, it doesn't look good, and it's not fun.

Fortunately it's a pretty small complaint lmao

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not so much about them being polite or well-spoken as it is about what these terms being slang terms says about the world of the game. It's also about not perpetuating certain negative attitudes and associations in works of fiction. That's not to say that I want all my media to be perfectly sanitised or filled with dancing unicorns and cotton candy but in cases like this where it adds nothing to the game and could easily be replaced with less loaded terms that don't link cowardice to a specific set of genitalia or imply that giving blowjobs makes you a bad person, I just don't see the point. All it does is perpetuate the use of these terms in this way. Besides, it's a freaking sci-fi game. They've come up with new words for all kinds of things but they can't come up with new swear words?

(I also don't have a problems with swear words in general. They can say asshole, cunt and so on all they want and I won't give a shit. My problem here is with some of the specific swear words used and what they imply.)

It's supposed to be an ugly and terrible world through and through.
If someone thinks calling someone a pussy is okay because a THUG in a video-game says it, well then he/she is no better than the thug
It shows that despite the advancement in tech humans are still as awful as ever, we STILL haven't grown up
You could also say it's a reflection of our current society, the worst parts made obvious.

So when you hear "pussy" in the game, you have the same gross reaction you would as in real life, that's the point

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I truly love how Ghost in the Shell inspired this looks/feels.
I kinda want them to take forever developing/polishing it but then I think of the SC development fuckery and just shudder.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think most would agree that street-slang and gutter-talk absolutely have a place in appropriate settings. I doubt you'd find anyone suggesting the Cyberpunk cast should be speaking in Shakespearean early/modern English.

My problem was that the dialogue just didn't feel like it was written very well. It felt like it was trying to hard to be edgy. Like an elementary kid just learning to swear, making every third word they speak a vulgarity. The flow doesn't feel natural or authentic at all. It feels forced.

It's incredibly disheartening coming off of Witcher 3, which basically wrote the book on nuanced and sophisticated character interplay. Perhaps only rivaled my Naughty Dog or Rockstar's impeccable work in script and voice acting.

I'm still on board with 2077. And I fully understand that it's a work in progress. I'll be there Day One.

It's just that about the very last thing I expected to walk away with feeling underwhelmed was the quality of writing and voice acting. It's almost like seeing a mainline Mario debut video where the jumping mechanics looks like crap.
Nicely said, it's how I'm feeling about the dialogue as well. Not sure if it'll be a day 1 purchase for me, but I'm stoked to see what CDPR's got cooking.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I just finished the video, and it was amazing.

Like, absolutely incredible. So many choices, so many options, and I love the RPG stats on everything.

Only thing was the jacking in. It was really obtuse looking, but it's not even close to being done. If anyone can do it, they can.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me it would all depend on the execution, certain swear words used and presented for simple flavor that does not add to the themes being explored would be bad. But, they can use racial or any other slurs they may like if they actually tackle those issues.
Yeah, sure. If homophobia and sexism are themes they actively explore in the game, by all means, use words like cocksucker and pussy to illustrate that.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Finished watching the entire thing and honestly it didn't really do a whole lot for me. Sure it looks great but that was expected. From a RPG perspective I really didn't see much in there that looked impressive and it seemed to copy their formula with witcher 3 where a lot of it is on the shallow end to appeal to more people who prefer streamlined experiences. I don't want to be too critical since it is just a very early demo but everything I saw in there seemed to be on the same level as lots of modern "RPGs" and even things like Deus Ex MD. Most conversations only had 1-3 choices, I was told that there's lots of choices in quests but I didn't actually see anything in the vid. It looked like you could either shoot the place up immediately or talk for a bit and then shoot the place up. Where are the skill checks in dialogue? I saw 0 the entire video, so they need to do better there. The whole thing felt very guided and cinematic which again it's hard to tell how much of that was just the demo or if that's where they're aiming (my gut tells me the latter, since it's what the masses and the media prefer).

Then again the more I think about it the more I'm starting to think New Vegas ruined gaming for me and we're never going to see another RPG on its level ever again. The amount of choices and skill checks that game had, with like less than 2 years of development, becomes more and more insane to me as time goes on. I really hope CDPR improves on the systems and stats in the game from here until launch because they have the cinematic stuff that everyone loves too much down already. It's time to work on the meat of the game now. I really do hope they can pull it off.

You could have not taken the corrupted chip and just bought the robot without resorting to violence.

But yeah, I don't think people should expect that much depth from the conversation system when it comes to RPG features, it's probably based more on actions than through requirements, it looks deeper than Witcher 3 in some ways but less than New Vegas.

Witcher 3 had a super basic skill check system so I assume they got rid of that since it was basically a waste.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Because A)The implication is that neither of those people caught criticism for it. and B)The settings of those films is hella different than shootbang cyberpunk video game.
I feel like just because its called Cyberpunk: 2077 doesn't mean it has to be some accurate portrayal of what whoever believes the next 50 years will bring. Some futuristic setting can kind of be portrayed however someone wants. Why couldn't someone use Tarantino's style as an element in their own rendition of any setting?

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
You're kidding me, right? Got any more false equivalencies to throw around?

Really now? I'm comparing two types of media, tell me why are movies, books, comics, graphic novels allowed and not video games.

Because A)The implication is that neither of those people caught criticism for it. and B)The settings of those films is hella different than shootbang cyberpunk video game.

A) They did, but they shouldn't be forbidden from using any language they see fit to convey their films same as CDPR with their video games.

B) It's a setting filled with degenerates and a society that has collapsed, yes it stands to reason such language would be fairly common like when I walk into a bar.

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't stop laughing when the NPC voice line kept playing "Jesus christ my legs" even after his head got shot off. Quintessential video game idiosyncrasy right there.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
I hope Jackie's voice isn't the one we get if you choose a male character... And I hope the character customization is deep enough to make him not look and sound like a rough looking meathead. I have no interest in being forced to play that kind of character.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All the hype for this?Where is all the next gen talk?Yes,looks good,but not mind blown like the previews said, and tecnically,the graphics,gameplay,animations,scope,nothing is out of this world,I was expecting way more than that.The HUD is terrible too.
agree i ampretty underwelmed after how good ghosts of tshushima, last of us 2 and spider man all look, graphicswise. not to mention it doesn't really look all that much better than horzion or god of war and nowhere near as good as detroit.

underwelmed like many others in this thread with what is essentilly a watch_dogs 2 clone with rpg elements...

/s

Last edited: