Status
Not open for further replies.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this has no bearing on your home computer. This is FUD.

They haven't even killed perpetual Office licenses, as a new release is around the corner.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
In the source article of Mary Jo Foley:

"What I don't know is how/whether Microsoft plans to allow partners to sell the Microsoft Managed Desktop platform and add value on top of it or if Microsoft intends to sell this directly to large enterprise customers itself (or both). A Microsoft spokesperson said the company had no comment on anything about Microsoft Managed Desktop."

wtf (what the fud) I've just read on that computerworld article????

Nov 8, 2017
How is it more user friendly? What exactly do you think the regular user that just uses email, Facebook, and chrome is having problems with in windows that Linux makes easier?
I'm basing my statement on my own experience, not the experience of some random person who makes very limited use of a computer. Here are a few things that I find more user-friendly in Linux:

My Linux distribution has a central software management system from which I can install and update nearly 100% of my software. No need to manually go through silly installation wizards, that often try to install or do other things that I don't want.

Supported hardware tends to just work on Linux because the drivers are built right into the kernel. No need to download and install drivers manually. Also, Linux doesn't install a new driver for every different USB storage device I connect (what's up with that anyway?).

When something goes wrong, it's usually much easier to identify problems in Linux, whereas Windows often hides such information. This makes problems less frustrating to solve in Linux.

Customization tends to be easier in Linux. For example, I can easily "Alt-drag" windows in Linux, but on Windows I need to install some third-party tool.

Similarly, I need to install Classic Shell to get a decent Start Menu in Windows, whereas KDE provides me a nice alternative right out of the box.

Then there's virtual desktops. Windows 10 finally has it, but it's extremely limited. For example, I can't specify that a certain application should always open on a specific desktop like I can in KDE. There are lots of other limitations like this.

Windows is often misleading or confusing. For example, left-button dragging files is an inconsistent action on Windows that may either move or copy the files, and selecting "Delete" on Windows doesn't actually delete files, but moves them to trash (KDE correctly labels this "Move to Trash").

That's just a few things off the top of my head.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
In the source article of Mary Jo Foley:

"What I don't know is how/whether Microsoft plans to allow partners to sell the Microsoft Managed Desktop platform and add value on top of it or if Microsoft intends to sell this directly to large enterprise customers itself (or both). A Microsoft spokesperson said the company had no comment on anything about Microsoft Managed Desktop."

wtf (what the fud) I've just read on that computerworld article????
Lol...xD

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft makes the most money by selling their stuff to enterprises.
I don't see them liking the idea of Microsoft being in control of the OS and fucking around with their workflow, their network and what these enterprises do. In my eyes it's a huge risk factor in terms of security and if I would be a system admin, I would never ever want this

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
You are really, underestimate the normal home user or users in corporate groups, who I have been "delighted" to work with. I am not saying, that is anything complicated, but "it looks different, therefore fuck that" is common reaction among these types of users, even going from Windows XP to Windows 7. I am not saying that for younger audience the switch would be problem, not at all. I am not against Linux at all, without it would not have been possible to even start the business few years back, because the price entry to MS Server Related stuff.....is really not fucking joke or at least it wasn't.

I am just saying that based on my experience, it's simply even switch users from same OS to a newer version and they bitch about it and doing stupid shit for months to come. Windows users don't want to use macOS and vice versa and it simply not realistic proposition to just switch to Linux even in your house within your family. It's just simply about what are users used to.

I think Linux is booming thanks to the single board computers, since they are pretty trendy stuff nowadays. And that's a good thing. But try install Linux to some corporate computer over night and see what's going to happened. It's just Linux is there, for most of the tasks they need to do, but people are don't.

And I cannot comment on gaming on Linux, because I lost track about gaming on Windows years ago, when I switched from PC to consoles, so really don't know nothing about that. Last time I was playing game on Linux was in my early teens, playing Tux Racer.

I have nothing against Linux, I am just saying that is utopia to "impose" this OS to general public. At least not unless it's going to look and work exactly like they are used to.

PS: Using Linux without bash sucks (or in text mode). It's fastest, most convenient way of using that system. But obviously I have to learn it, before I can do anything on that system, but in company you wanted to people be productive in what you want from them, not in learning how to use the system.

I hope that this longer response shed more light, what I wanted to say.

Last edited:

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I'm basing my statement on my own experience, not the experience of some random person who makes very limited use of a computer. Here are a few things that I find more user-friendly in Linux:

My Linux distribution has a central software management system from which I can install and update nearly 100% of my software. No need to manually go through silly installation wizards, that often try to install or do other things that I don't want.

Supported hardware tends to just work on Linux because the drivers are built right into the kernel. No need to download and install drivers manually. Also, Linux doesn't install a new driver for every different USB storage device I connect (what's up with that anyway?).

When something goes wrong, it's usually much easier to identify problems in Linux, whereas Windows often hides such information. This makes problems less frustrating to solve in Linux.

Customization tends to be easier in Linux. For example, I can easily "Alt-drag" windows in Linux, but on Windows I need to install some third-party tool.

Similarly, I need to install Classic Shell to get a decent Start Menu in Windows, whereas KDE provides me a nice alternative right out of the box.

Then there's virtual desktops. Windows 10 finally has it, but it's extremely limited. For example, I can't specify that a certain application should always open on a specific desktop like I can in KDE. There are lots of other limitations like this.

Windows is often misleading or confusing. For example, left-button dragging files is an inconsistent action on Windows that may either move or copy the files, and selecting "Delete" on Windows doesn't actually delete files, but moves them to trash (KDE correctly labels this "Move to Trash").

That's just a few things off the top of my head.
Buddy, that's just you.

I know people that use computers every day, and the stay on Windows 7 just because 10 is "too different".

As for your statement about being misleading or confusing: that's you. For someone that only uses Windows that stuff is normal, not confusing and easy because they know how to work it.

Again, you're talking as if your personal experience is representative of anything. You're the minority of the minority that uses 2 OSes, because most use MacOS/Windows

Also, funny you say drivers, because when I used Linux back in 2.X, drivers were a fucking nightmare, plus having to recompile the kernel pretty much every time?

Windows? "oh hey, there are drivers for this!"

Sherlocked

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What a bad article to create clicks. A solution like this would kill so many customers. The sokution is really nice for specific scenarios, but laying it out as a definite replacement for a general desktop sokution makes the writer just bad.

It is just not realistic. Not even in 10 years.

The fact that people still still don't get that Microsoft would be IBM without Xbox and they have no longer have any interest in nefarious schemes aimed at regular computer users is hilarious. Windows isn't even important anymore outside of Enterprise, that whole first page is fucking embarrassing.

Nov 8, 2017
Buddy, that's just you.

I know people that use computers every day, and the stay on Windows 7 just because 10 is "too different".

As for your statement about being misleading or confusing: that's you. For someone that only uses Windows that stuff is normal, not confusing and easy because they know how to work it.

Again, you're talking as if your personal experience is representative of anything. You're the minority of the minority that uses 2 OSes, because most use MacOS/Windows

Also, funny you say drivers, because when I used Linux back in 2.X, drivers were a fucking nightmare, plus having to recompile the kernel pretty much every time?

Windows? "oh hey, there are drivers for this!"
Just because people are familiar with Windows being misleading and inconsistent, doesn't make it more user-friendly.

I'm making statements objectively without regards to any prior experience. In that regard, "Delete" meaning "Delete" is objectively more user-friendly than "Delete" meaning "Move to Trash".

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Literally perfect for Era to lose its mind over.
And a good reason to lie to people to get them to hate MS all the more. I have worked on Windows in a corporate environment for a long while. Upgrading to even Windows 7 was like pulling teeth, sure there was software they had to make sure that it ran on Win 7 but XP was already end of life.

ResoRai

Nov 4, 2017
Man. It's absolutely insane how quick and easy it is for people to go into panic mode.

This actually sounds pretty damn good for enterprises/schools. I think we finally upgraded to Windows 10 like a month ago here.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Microsoft makes the most money by selling their stuff to enterprises.
I don't see them liking the idea of Microsoft being in control of the OS and fucking around with their workflow, their network and what these enterprises do. In my eyes it's a huge risk factor in terms of security and if I would be a system admin, I would never ever want this

Did you just beam in from the 90s?

Well in 2018 this is corporate reality, MS is just offering their own solution to compete with Citrix and VMWare.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
You are really, underestimate the normal home user or users in corporate groups, who I have been "delighted" to work with. I am not saying, that is anything complicated, but "it looks different, therefore fuck that" is common reaction among these types of users, even going from Windows XP to Windows 7. I am not saying that for younger audience the switch would be problem, not at all. I am not against Linux at all, without it would not have been possible to even start the business few years back, because the price entry to MS Server Related stuff.....is really not fucking joke or at least it wasn't.

I am just saying that based on my experience, it's simply even switch users from same OS to a newer version and they bitch about it and doing stupid shit for months to come. Windows users don't want to use macOS and vice versa and it simply not realistic proposition to just switch to Linux even in your house within your family. It's just simply about what are users used to.

I think Linux is booming thanks to the single board computers, since they are pretty trendy stuff nowadays. And that's a good thing. But try install Linux to some corporate computer over night and see what's going to happened. It's just Linux is there, for most of the tasks they need to do, but people are don't.

And I cannot comment on gaming on Linux, because I lost track about gaming on Windows years ago, when I switched from PC to consoles, so really don't know nothing about that. Last time I was playing game on Linux was in my early teens, playing Tux Racer.

I have nothing against Linux, I am just saying that is utopia to "impose" this OS to general public. At least not unless it's going to look and work exactly like they are used to.

PS: Using Linux without bash sucks (or in text mode). It's fastest, most convenient way of using that system. But obviously I have to learn it, before I can do anything on that system, but in company you wanted to people be productive in what you want from them, not in learning how to use the system.

I hope that this longer response shed more light, what I wanted to say.

Ah yes. I guess I do underestimate user resistance to change.
Though I think people have become more accepting of it in recent times with the rice of Phones and Tablets, and people wanting new features all the the time through yearly release cycles.

My experience has been with my parents. Like somehow their laptops would get all sorts of rubbish installed on it. Mostly adware extensions and tools. And would grind to a halt.

I installed Ubuntu on my mum's laptop first. Pretty much just said "here's firefox and here's chrome, one is signed into email 1 and other is signed into email two"
No complaints and the laptop is as good as new.
About a year later my dad also asked me to install Linux on his laptop.
They just use web browsers to do everything so there's no real change in their usage.

What's happening these days is everything is moving to the web. A lot of software, especially corporate ones can just be web frontends.
That makes the underlying operating system irrelevant in most cases.

Linux gaming is an interesting point. Valve went in quite hard back with Linux back in 2013, apparently as an insurance strategy in case microsoft decided to close off Windows in some way. e.g. Windows RT did come out around that time, which could only do windows store apps (thus giving microsoft a cut of any sale)
According to the hardware survey linux makes up .49% of steam users.
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam
There's game engine support with Unreal, Unity and Cryengine all supporting linux out of the box.
Apparently 5166 games in steam that support the platform: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux

Today installing linux on a modern PC works pretty much out of the box.
Dell sell a few of their laptops with Linux: http://www.dell.com/learn/uk/en/ukbsdt1/campaigns/dell-linux-ubuntu-en
But also can be installed over a windows laptop fine.

The user interfaces are lot more mature over the last few years as well.
Gnome and KDE are mature these days.

Single board computers are sure making people familarised with Linux. For example, some schools in the UK teach kids computing with raspberry Pis.

"I have nothing against Linux, I am just saying that is utopia to "impose" this OS to general public. At least not unless it's going to look and work exactly like they are used to."
I think people will adapt.
I mean I have to do my time sheets in a software that's a pile of illogical crap. We recently got it replaced with a new tool, that somehow is even worse.
But if you're expected to use it to do your job, you're going to learn.

"PS: Using Linux without bash sucks (or in text mode). It's fastest, most convenient way of using that system. But obviously I have to learn it, before I can do anything on that system, but in company you wanted to people be productive in what you want from them, not in learning how to use the system."]

I guess so, but a good GUI lets you do most of your day to day tasks.
It's one of the advantages of Windows is that everything is very GUI focused. And it wasn't until Powershell that the cli got as powerful as a unix based os.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just because people are familiar with Windows being misleading and inconsistent, doesn't make it more user-friendly.

I'm making statements objectively without regards to any prior experience. In that regard, "Delete" meaning "Delete" is objectively more user-friendly than "Delete" meaning "Move to Trash".
As if cleaning trash would actually delete something, or rm...

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
First of all, it's for businesses. Second of all you are still going to be able to purchase a full license (Look at every SaaS offering by Microsoft for proof.)

So the complainers are just complaining for nothing

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018

They haven't even killed perpetual Office licenses, as a new release is around the corner.
This exactly. Microsoft has made no indication that they intend to replace normal Windows licenses with this system. This appears to just be a sort of Azure-like service to just have your system directly supported by MS.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018

Bad example. Delete moves files to trash for two reasons:

1: It was intended to replace the function of delete from MS-DOS and earlier versions of Windows, where there was no trash bin.
2: To prevent any user from deleting a file and then immediately realizing they shouldn't have. Having worked in IT, this is extremely important for less skilled users to have.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Man. It's absolutely insane how quick and easy it is for people to go into panic mode.

This actually sounds pretty damn good for enterprises/schools. I think we finally upgraded to Windows 10 like a month ago here.

People rather freak the fuck out rather than take the 2 minutes to read the source.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
This exactly. Microsoft has made no indication that they intend to replace normal Windows licenses with this system. This appears to just be a sort of Azure-like service to just have your system directly supported by MS.
Basically.

People are reading this completely wrong. This isn't a true DaaS at all, which is VDI or Virtual Desktop Interface. This would still keep your OS on your PC. You just won't have much control over it. So for those in the enterprise market (like me) I don't have to worry about using SCUM or another software utility to push updates or yell at people to do their damned OS patching. It is handled for you. CW has this article completely off the wall and is causing panic for zero reasons. As an enterprise pitch/solution, this is great.

For home markets, MS should know this would never fly. Or at least, I hope they do.

Nov 8, 2017
Bad example. Delete moves files to trash for two reasons:

1: It was intended to replace the function of delete from MS-DOS and earlier versions of Windows, where there was no trash bin.
2: To prevent any user from deleting a file and then immediately realizing they shouldn't have. Having worked in IT, this is extremely important for less skilled users to have.
I'm not arguing against the action itself; I'm saying the "Delete" label is misleading because the action doesn't do what the label says. Which is objectively true. KDE made it objectively more user-friendly by using the label "Move to Trash" instead of "Delete", which is an accurate reflection of what the action does, and lacks the risk of losing files just like the equivalent (mislabelled) action in Windows.

I've often "Deleted" files in Windows to make space on a disk, only to find the free space on my disk hasn't changed because the files were not actually deleted. That's confusing and not user-friendly.

Ultimately, "A" doing A is always objectively more user-friendly than "B" doing A.

Last edited:

McDomination

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
This does not apply to 99% of the people on this thread. Bey hey, don't let facts get in the way of your anti-Microsoft proclamations!

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I hope all of the people screaming "fuck Microsoft" realize that this will be an option for BUSINESSES as part of their Microsoft 365 initiative. It's not for consumers.

This is a bundle of Windows DaaS, Office 365, mobile device management and other security software.

So unless people in this thread are running a business and for some reason think that they have to subscribe to the package (it's one of many MS licensing options), you really should chill.

Again, for BUSINESS and EDU, not consumers.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OMG Computerworld continues to be utter trash

This is for companies only and will stay that way

Seriously fuck this FUD that is constant nowadays

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I came here to post exactly this. OP used quite the inflammatory article to start a discussion, but it clearly skews things one way.

This article does a better job of explaining the service, and who it might be aimed at. This likely isn't something they're going to push on personal devices.

https://hothardware.com/news/windows-managed-desktop

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread has everything

-Completely bonkers Microsoft FUD
-people claiming to be Sys Admins who hate Microsoft processes and systems inherent to their job
-Linux Desktop crazies raving about how much easier Linux is to use than Windows
-The usual conspiracies around Windows 10 and pleading for people to stay on Windows 7 (which exits support in a year and half)
-bizarre injections about ownership in software

Embarrassing

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I remember there was a time if you made a thread on misleading premise resulted in losing your thread creation privileges. I guess that is no longer a thing.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
people claiming to be Sys Admins who hate Microsoft processes and systems inherent to their job
You make that sound unlikely or unusual. I know two people who have been sysadmins professionally for around 10 years and primarily administrate Windows computers. Both hate tons of Microsoft processes and systems.

bizarre injections about ownership in software
Injections about ownership in software are not at all bizarre in any Saas thread.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
1) This article is mostly clickbait basura and has nothing to do with consumer computing or gaming
2) This was an inevitability to those paying attention to what they're doing on the Azure front and their competitors (AWS, VMware, Citrix) are looking into similar offerings.

Ultimately DaaS/Cloud-hosted Virtual Desktop Infrastructure needs some more time in the oven before the pricing models and performance can match what you can do with VMware Horizon or Citrix XenDesktop in your own datacenter, but it's interesting to see the innovation in this sector

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I see them buying apple products instead of windows devices.

I love Apple but I also love technology in general and I can say that there are some new and exciting things going on at Microsoft I mean I get it Windows sucks blah blah, but holo lens, game streaming, azure, Microsoft's studio acquisitions, surface and so on all seem to be on the verge of making the next leap. No offense to Apple, as I type this on my iPhone X, but everything is starting to seem stale...reliable, but stale.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I love Apple but I also love technology in general and I can say that there are some new and exciting things going on at Microsoft I mean I get it Windows sucks blah blah, but holo lens, game streaming, azure, Microsoft's studio acquisitions, surface and so on all seem to be on the verge of making the next leap. No offense to Apple, as I type this on my iPhone X, but everything is starting to seem stale...reliable, but stale.

I dislike Apple, I work with Mac Pros and think the OS is better than Windows but I do not like the somewhat walled garden app mentality and how restrictive their hardware is in terms of upgrade-ability.
When I say I see people around me buying Apple stuff instead of Windows then that's just an observation, I would never buy any Apple products for personal use at home but the people around me do (and they aren't rich btw) I sometimes get the feeling Microsoft vanished out of the casual persons mind when talking about laptops. Only the business side and hardcore gamers remain.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Is Apple Remote Desktop a more viable solution?

I wouldn't know, never used it. Do regular non business folks that buy Apple care about remote desktop? I don't think so! Even at work we barely use stuff like that and I don't think we ever used anything else than TeamViewer. Might be different for bigger companies or the work that's being done, I don't know.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'm glad microsoft is making things blatantly clear and obvious. Hopefully the push for games on another O/S really takes off.

wow, i already use linux, but i was thinking to have windows in the next pc as dual boot, but if that turns to be true i will stick 100% with linux

Hell, if MS does this, I may just switch to Linux.

I would install Linux for the first time ever and learn how to use it. Fuck that.

Not a fucking chance that I will ever adopt this for my primary machine.

Time for me to add "Concerns over DaaS" to the Linux thread...

There really needs to be more funding for Linux on the desktop.

Sadly there's almost no way to generate funding for developers versus the world of servers and enterprise usage.

All this is is basically online DRM for your whole PC.

Microsoft can get fucked.

What company/job do all of you work for where you can install games on your work PC and/or just tell your IT dept to screw off because you want to run Linux instead?

Company machines are company property. If your workplace chooses a solution, you kinda have to go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.