Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.computerworld.com/artic...ng-say-goodbye-to-your-pc-as-you-know-it.html

Microsoft is getting ready to replace Windows 10 with the Microsoft Managed Desktop. This will be a "desktop-as-a-service" (DaaS) offering. Instead of owning Windows, you'll "rent" it by the month.

DaaS for Windows isn't new. Citrix and VMware have made a living from it for years. Microsoft has offered Remote Desktop Services, formerly Terminal Services, for ages.

Microsoft Managed Desktop is a new take. It avoids the latency problem of the older Windows DaaS offerings by keeping the bulk of the operating system on your PC.

But you'll no longer be in charge of your Windows PC. Instead, it will be automatically provisioned and patched for you by Microsoft. Maybe you'll be OK with that.

Fuck this

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
*buys Surface Book*

Hey they got a good thing going here. They've been doing some good things lately.

*MS does this*

Yup, you CAN go too far with success.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a speculative article, but it's gotten a lot of traction.

I don't think it's viable for now, but I loathe the day this may be possible (thinking 2028 at the earliest).

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I knew the goodwill from the free Windows 10 update was too good to last, makes sense given the way the market is moving

Zynx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad microsoft is making things blatantly clear and obvious. Hopefully the push for games on another O/S really takes off.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wow, i already use linux, but i was thinking to have windows in the next pc as dual boot, but if that turns to be true i will stick 100% with linux

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
DaaS for Windows isn't new. Citrix and VMware have made a living from it for years. Microsoft has offered Remote Desktop Services, formerly Terminal Services, for ages.

Microsoft Managed Desktop is a new take. It avoids the latency problem of the older Windows DaaS offerings by keeping the bulk of the operating system on your PC.

I'm not sure what the problem is, exactly? Doom and gloom over Microsoft making an already existing feature/product better?

OP
OP
Lashley

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what the problem is, exactly? Doom and gloom over Microsoft making an already existing feature/product better?
Read the article, the traditional operating software experience would be going away, and in it's place you'd be paying a monthly sub for an OS that MS would control.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
So it's about leasing (and thus paying monthly) for a physical device and it comes with automatic Windows updates, aimed at the business market. Sounds another clickbaity article.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Predicting some people here will love the idea of daas because security. Security is that magic word that makes people happily swallow whatever disgusting filth Ms is cooking up. Here's the thing though: security is not that important - and it comes at the expense of freedom. Does bad consumer security cost the society? Yes, and it's worth every penny.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Read the article, the traditional operating software experience would be going away, and in it's place you'd be paying a monthly sub for an OS that MS would control.

Maybe read the source article?

I'm hearing this Microsoft Managed Desktop is, basically, the Microsoft version of "desktop as a service." It will provide customers the ability to lease a Windows 10 device that's automatically provisioned for them and have the operating system kept up-to-date and more for a single monthly fee, my contacts say.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the source article says this.

I'm hearing this Microsoft Managed Desktop is, basically, the Microsoft version of "desktop as a service." It will provide customers the ability to lease a Windows 10 device that's automatically provisioned for them and have the operating system kept up-to-date and more for a single monthly fee, my contacts say.
What I don't know is how/whether Microsoft plans to allow partners to sell the Microsoft Managed Desktop platform and add value on top of it or if Microsoft intends to sell this directly to large enterprise customers itself (or both). A Microsoft spokesperson said the company had no comment on anything about Microsoft Managed Desktop.

Basically, everything so far is speculative and for enterprise systems, not home use (this being posting in the Gaming section would suggest that they were looking at 'DaaS' for home use).

Cuboid 64

Oct 28, 2017
This definitely sounds more like something aimed at business and enterprise, so I wouldn't be too worried about it from a gaming point of view. Still, makes me wish Apple cared about gaming more beyond iOS. That's the main thing keeping me from attempting to switch over.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
It's time

debian-512.png

Kerozinn

Banned
May 11, 2018
hahahaha noooo microsoft noooo im still good with windows 7 for life
i wont adopt to your bullshit ever

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
There really needs to be more funding for Linux on the desktop.

Sadly there's almost no way to generate funding for developers versus the world of servers and enterprise usage.

Deleted member 6573

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to stay on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB for the next decade now. Fuck renting an operating system.

Nov 4, 2017

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All this is is basically online DRM for your whole PC.

Microsoft can get fucked.

Oct 25, 2017
people still arent understanding that this is for enterprises and businesses. but its doom and gloom because OP misinterpreted the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.