sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
My next character died and so I am on my third character now. I had betrothed my son for an alliance and now it seems like perhaps him and his new wife won't have any children. Should I have her murdered? Does it sometimes just take a very long time for a pregnancy? It's been a few years now.

When you wed you see a percentage chance of pregnancy iirc. If it was high you should wait a little and be sweet and romantic.
If it was at zero, one of the character is not fertile, homosexual, or can't stand the other's feet odor for eternity xD
You might want to birth another son just in case the "old one" cannot sire... and have your impotent one die at war as soon as the new one has a child.

Last edited:

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So I'm not sure what changed or policy got put in place, but in my empire, vassals are able to force themselves onto my council and it says I can't fire them for 25 years? I have no idea what is enabling that. Anyone run into this yet?
They have council rights in their contract. Maybe they got a hook on you.

It also works the other way, you can secure a seat on the council of your liege (if you would have one) which gives some pretty nifty bonuses.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Wife ended up getting pregnant so no worries there! I won the crusade though and my sister was given control of Jerusalem. I decided to play as her now but this is kind of crazy since I'm just chilling out here in the middle of nowhere now, lol.

Almaz_Hiro

Jan 20, 2018
First time playing this series and I've been enjoying it so far. Still trying to get a grasp on the mechanics though.
When I started in the top half of France that went pretty well, but I've been wanting to try start as a small territory and expand from there but its not working out. Is alliances the only way to stop yourself from getting attacked if your a small land or island for example. Feels like by the time I've get enough gold to build up army I get attacked.

Nov 7, 2017
First time playing this series and I've been enjoying it so far. Still trying to get a grasp on the mechanics though.
When I started in the top half of France that went pretty well, but I've been wanting to try start as a small territory and expand from there but its not working out. Is alliances the only way to stop yourself from getting attacked if your a small land or island for example. Feels like by the time I've get enough gold to build up army I get attacked.
I don't know, I've been playing as a prince in transylvania and I havent been attacked once in 50 years. I have this insane military just waiting but no one has the balls

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm not sure what changed or policy got put in place, but in my empire, vassals are able to force themselves onto my council and it says I can't fire them for 25 years? I have no idea what is enabling that. Anyone run into this yet?

Edit: Apparently I conquered some who have council rights guaranteed in their contracts...
You can't fire them, but you can make them accidentally pass away due to some unfortunate events 😔

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
The game is very bad at explaining why people have forced council rights, but you can check their feudal contract to see if it's in there, I guess.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
lol the end is so anticlimactic, they could atleast had made some nice lineage montage and some stats.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Paradox really showing their Swedish homerism, my game with Finland involves Sweden capturing random territories across Europe and the tutorial videos I've seen involves the same.

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX
Um, they need to tweak the contribution algorithm for war with allies. My allies, the French, call on my help when their most powerful vassal goes after the throne. I sent in 9k troops to support France's 5k. My troops literally showed up to intervene in the final days of a big battle where France was losing decisively. Their numbers were down to 500 in the battle from 5k and my troops save the battle. Then I take the attackers capital, the attackers ally's capital (and leader), and then proceed to raid the country side taking county after county. Six months of fighting and losing 9 gold a month when at full force. Then I get hit with this after "we" win:
lGCOire.jpg

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Um, they need to tweak the contribution algorithm for war with allies. My allies, the French, call on my help when their most powerful vassal goes after the throne. I sent in 9k troops to support France's 5k. My troops literally showed up to intervene in the final days of a big battle where France was losing decisively. Their numbers were down to 500 in the battle from 5k and my troops save the battle. Then I take the attackers capital, the attackers ally's capital (and leader), and then proceed to raid the country side taking county after county. Six months of fighting and losing 9 gold a month when at full force. Then I get hit with this after "we" win:

Had a very similar experience the last time I helped an ally out and conquered most of southern India for him. Very rude

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Not entirely sure what to do with wards/guardians yet.

I have a vassal that kinda doesn't like me, and I thought, huh maybe if I send my son to be his ward he'd be very impressed with me or something, but walking through that it seemed like there was not going to be any real beneficial change in his sentiment toward me. Weird or at least kinda counter intuitive to me anyway.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I noticed that too a while ago. It's why I stopped joining my allies wars entirely. I'm not going to risk my own armies just to watch myself get absolutely nothing in return when it's all over.

And that's not mentioning the horrible AI that the computer is given when it comes to dealing with allies. I have said it before but I have completely lost track of how many wars or battles I have lost because my so-called allies leave me for dead on the battlefield instead of actually helping me. I have had multiple playthroughs ended entirely because of my allies failure to help me during a key moment of a war. It's why I'm currently taking a break from the game and hoping that either a patch comes out for it or someone creates a mod that improves either the AI or the entire way that wars are waged in this game. Because as it sits right now it's an entire section of the game that I actively avoid at all costs. in my Poland play through for example I even swore fealty to the Holy Roman Empire instead of trying to deal with Hungary on the battlefield. It's just not worth the frustration.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
Guessing Paradox will expand the map to include East Asian/ SE Asian factions

Various people have pointed out on the subreddit that the western edge of the "paper" map is just a straight edge, while the eastern edge is torn off. The theory going around is that there will be an East Asia DLC that fills in that part of the map. They'd have to do some kind of imperial mechanics overhaul to include China properly, and people have been pointing out that Byzantium and, to a lesser extent, the HRE feel like they're lacking in appropriate mechanical distinctions. That sort of thing is meaty enough to fill out both an expansion pack and a free patch.

(My wild ass guess: the expanded map and Byzantium overhaul are free, China and its unique mechanics are tied to the expansion pack.)

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
PRO-TIP: Always check who the person you're about to go to war with is allied with!

Don't make the mistake I made and start a fight with a minor Irish dutchy only to get accidentally embroiled in a war with the King of England. :(

lmao I got roasted.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
PRO-TIP: Always check who the person you're about to go to war with is allied with!

Don't make the mistake I made and start a fight with a minor Irish dutchy only to get accidentally embroiled in a war with the King of England. :(

lmao I got roasted.

The good thing this game is quite lenient on what you lose if you lose a war.

EU4? Well good luck getting those provinces back.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
My vassals really seem to enjoy attacking each other, stop warring against each other you damn jerks.

I miss my Queen, I had shit locked down with her, Dread for days. So many vassals absolutely hate the guy I'm playing as now, had to lock up a vassal and make him give up his title cause he tried to rise up on me.

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
After playing an Iberia game, I'm convinced there's some bug at play with the Jihads. I took over Cordoba and Seville and one of those two is supposed to kick off the Jihads, which it did, but then nobody ever declared a Jihad. I was just casually taking over all of Muslimdom in Iberia and I hardly even got any resistance.

At first I thought the Jihads didn't actually get declared because Crusader Kingdoms have the annoying tendency to immediately flip to Islam, but now I'm convinced it has something to do with the fact that CK3 has a more nuanced take on the different schools of Islam vs CK2's Sunni/Shia and that this somehow fucks up the AI algorithm for declaring Jihads.

I noticed the same thing with Holy Wars. In CK2 declaring a Holy War against the muslims was a pretty dangerous move as all of the muslim world could (and would) join in. Now, with Iberia having a different Muslim denomination than most other areas, declaring a holy war isn't all that dangerous as the only ones who would even be able to join in are mostly weak counts and dukes in the area.

Something definitely needs to be fixed here.

On a different note: The music when declaring a Holy War is fucking HYPE

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
My vassals really seem to enjoy attacking each other, stop warring against each other you damn jerks.

I miss my Queen, I had shit locked down with her, Dread for days. So many vassals absolutely hate the guy I'm playing as now, hate to lock up a vassal and make him give up his title cause he tried to rise up on me.
You can try to increase your crown authority to level 3 to disable internal warfare.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Various people have pointed out on the subreddit that the western edge of the "paper" map is just a straight edge, while the eastern edge is torn off. The theory going around is that there will be an East Asia DLC that fills in that part of the map. They'd have to do some kind of imperial mechanics overhaul to include China properly, and people have been pointing out that Byzantium and, to a lesser extent, the HRE feel like they're lacking in appropriate mechanical distinctions. That sort of thing is meaty enough to fill out both an expansion pack and a free patch.

(My wild ass guess: the expanded map and Byzantium overhaul are free, China and its unique mechanics are tied to the expansion pack.)
Oh crap, now I sea the torn part as well.
Not putting out an East Asia DLC nowadays would be a massive wasted opportunity because the Steam audience in China for example is rapidly growing.
So overall I think it's very likely.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
That they're eventually going to include China is like the worst kept secret with this game. China is definitely coming, but I hope they first flesh out the things that are in the game right now (*cough* Byzantines and Nomads *cough*)

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Anyone else think that the snowballing effect really seems to a problem in this game? Two of my consecutive playtroughs (former as king of sweden and now as queen of spain) on normal difficulty with ironman on have played out very similiarly. The beginning is extremely tough and hard to predict. But after a while you get a bunch of loyal vassals and a couple of powerful alliances and nothing can stop. I can pretty easily conquer spain duchy by duchy since me and my allies have like 20k manpower. Im not sure if there is anything to stop me.

And its not like I play optimally or that I am a veteran.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Snowballing is an issue with pretty much every strategy game, but especially Paradox games. The satisfaction in any of the Paradox games is getting to a place of power from a disadvanteous position, but once you are the biggest bully around there really is nothing stopping you. It's the same with Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 4, Stellaris, Imperator Rome, etc.

The answer to this would be to put something in the game that makes it more likely for big empires to break apart, but so far Paradox seems hesitant to do that or just hasn't been able to figure out a way to do it that doesn't just feel like a "fuck you" to the player.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for them to add China, fuck something slightly up, and then have the CCP ban them

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
That they're eventually going to include China is like the worst kept secret with this game. China is definitely coming, but I hope they first flesh out the things that are in the game right now (*cough* Byzantines and Nomads *cough*)
I would also they actually fix the game we already have. I assume they will though.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
They already mentioned in a dev diary that they'll refine the system for the byzantine empire sometime. I expect it'll be part of the first expansion.

Oct 28, 2017
Is religion/faith supposed to be very easy to convert into?

Currently I have an Empire with Asatru (Norse) as my main faith, but the game appears to be giving me numbers that I can just easily convert into anything.
Like I can convert to Mazdakism for just 728 piety, with all my vassals willing to adopt it too!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I never want high crown authority because if I had the chance to rise from a count in the HRE to emperor of italia controlling most of the Mediterranean sea so do my vassals.

There is nothing you could do to be more like a Feudal nobleman (or hell even a rich person today) than to kick out the ladder from behind you once you ascend to a position of superiority

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017

Currently I have an Empire with Asatru (Norse) as my main faith, but the game appears to be giving me numbers that I can just easily convert into anything.
Like I can convert to Mazdakism for just 728 piety, with all my vassals willing to adopt it too!
I think so you can convert to your wife's faith for free. Having a different faith to the majority of countries is going to be dangerous however since that leads to negative popular opinion
There is nothing you could do to be more like a Feudal nobleman (or hell even a rich person today) than to kick out the ladder from behind you once you ascend to a position of superiority
that is definitely true but still I like when they can fight amongst themselves

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020

What's happening there is that Asatru is an unorganized faith. The conversion costs for those are intentionally low, especially when going to an organized faith. (You can see in the tooltip that you get a 225% discount for this.) I think the intent is to incentivise pagans to convert to Christianity or Islam, as they did historically, while making it harder to go the other way.

Of course that also means it's really easy to convert to weird shit like Zoroastrianism.

Converting faiths should definitely be more restrictive. I feel like you should need to have a person/county following that faith inside your diplomatic range in order to convert to it.

(Vassals converting, meanwhile, I think is mostly determined by your opinion with them.)

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else think that the snowballing effect really seems to a problem in this game? Two of my consecutive playtroughs (former as king of sweden and now as queen of spain) on normal difficulty with ironman on have played out very similiarly. The beginning is extremely tough and hard to predict. But after a while you get a bunch of loyal vassals and a couple of powerful alliances and nothing can stop. I can pretty easily conquer spain duchy by duchy since me and my allies have like 20k manpower. Im not sure if there is anything to stop me.

And its not like I play optimally or that I am a veteran.

I kinda thought I reached this point when I created a Kingdom in the Bangladesh area. But then my heir murdered his brother, and I would have preferred the victim take the throne, so I imprisoned the murderer. My king died not long after. Somehow the son of the murder victim, age 6, was my heir (born just after his dad died, so he kinda stole heir status from an uncle).

So I'm playing as the 6 year old king, all my vassals hated me, and I basically can't do shit because I'm a kid. The uncle, whose position I totally understand, declares war and takes the kingdom, so im back to duke.

Only about 4 years into adulthood, my king goes on an offensive war (wins), which really depletes his army so as soon as that ended I took my kingdom back. My vassals like me well enough now, but I have a few secrets about the former king uncle murdering folks. I suspect he will come for me soon, but he has 25 diplomacy so I've left him as my chancellor and im hoping my 18 intrigue wife spymaster can keep me safe.

What I really want her (or my other wives) to do though, is bear a son. I got like 6 daughters now, and my old king died before I was able to make a new religion with equal inheritance laws, or I might have dodged this whole mess in the first place

Oct 28, 2017
I think so you can convert to your wife's faith for free. Having a different faith to the majority of countries is going to be dangerous however since that leads to negative popular opinion
that is definitely true but still I like when they can fight amongst themselves

What's happening there is that Asatru is an unorganized faith. The conversion costs for those are intentionally low, especially when going to an organized faith. (You can see in the tooltip that you get a 225% discount for this.) I think the intent is to incentivise pagans to convert to Christianity or Islam, as they did historically, while making it harder to go the other way.

Because currently I do want Equal gender doctrine and obviously an Organized faith tag, trying to reform from Asatru costs a whopping 4950 piety.

Following a different faith cheaper than reforming the current one.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit confused why I didn't get the Kings to the Seventh Generation achievement, and it's not showing as available: I started as Eudes, got my independance and formed a custom kingdom just before dying to avoid losing all my stuff. May that be the issue?

Because my successors got the Kingdom of West Francia and Empire of Francia titles...

Oct 28, 2017

I miss my Queen, I had shit locked down with her, Dread for days. So many vassals absolutely hate the guy I'm playing as now, had to lock up a vassal and make him give up his title cause he tried to rise up on me.

Something related to this, there seems to be an option to demand your Vassal to surrender or something.
Like one of my Vassal is fighting against his own vassal and I can demand him to surrender.
moyarQN.jpg

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
Following a different faith cheaper than reforming the current one.

I'm pretty sure this is intentional (and not unrealistic, you're adopting an existing set of practices rather than inventing new ones and/or establishing a church hierarchy where none existed before), though like I said diplomatic range and/or having characters of that faith in your court should probably be a factor as well, despite the current system not including them.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to simulate a line of succession? Like, some button that I can press that says "If you (or someone else) dies, X, Y, and Z titles go to A, B, and C?"

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to simulate a line of succession? Like, some button that I can press that says "If you (or someone else) dies, X, Y, and Z titles go to A, B, and C?"

For your own titles this can be seen from the succession tab in your realm view (F2). It will show what titles will go to your primary heir, which titles will be lost on succession, and who will get those titles.

For other titles you can always click on the title itself and it will show you the order of succession for that title. Hovering over any character will also show you what titles they are heir to in the little window that pops up.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, how the hell is the head of the dynasty determined exactly? Every time my ruler dies, I lose the house head for around one year before getting it again, which makes getting the higher legacies a bit hard...

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
I love the learning curve with this game. I am always learning something new that makes me want to start a new playthrough with the new knowledge.

Oct 25, 2017
Abducting and intrigue in general is like super broken right now lol. I was a zoroastrian ruler with a muslim liege, so I abducted his sister, made her my concubine, swayed her, asked her to convert to my faith, and seduced her. Our second child was a male, so I started a claimant faction for my concubine, made other vassels join it by fabricating secrets, and pressed my demands. Her brother (or nephew) accepted, so I assassinated my concubine who was now also my liege, and disinherited my first son. My new heir is now shah (king) of Tahirid Shahdom. If my current character doesn't die before reaching the required level of devotion, I'm going to start a holy war for Saffarid kingdom, whose army is like 5x mine and just abduct their king lol. My son is going to rule two kingdoms, and hopefully by following the footsteps of his father, will be able to form the Persian Empire.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Abducting and intrigue in general is like super broken right now lol. I was a zoroastrian ruler with a muslim liege, so I abducted his sister, made her my concubine, swayed her, asked her to convert to my faith, and seduced her. Our second child was a male, so I started a claimant faction for my concubine, made other vassels join it by fabricating secrets, and pressed my demands. Her brother (or nephew) accepted, so I assassinated my concubine who was now also my liege, and disinherited my first son. My new heir is now shah (king) of Tahirid Shahdom. If my current character doesn't die before reaching the required level of devotion, I'm going to start a holy war for Saffarid kingdom, whose army is like 5x mine and just abduct their king lol. My son is going to rule two kingdoms, and hopefully by following the footsteps of his father, will be able to form the Persian Empire.

I think you l33t strategy mad skillz are the OP thing in this scenario.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, how the hell is the head of the dynasty determined exactly? Every time my ruler dies, I lose the house head for around one year before getting it again, which makes getting the higher legacies a bit hard...
Something broken in the game I reckon, because head of dynasty is determined by highest military strength, and for some reason it doesn't go to you on death sometimes but then recalculates in a year and realizes you're the strongest and so you get it again. Happened to me as well.

Oct 25, 2017

House head succession is currently bugged and sometimes acts funny on succession. Elective succession and cases where your eldest child/son (depending on gender law) predeceases you seems to be the main culprit for cases where it doesn't behave right from what I've seen.