Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
I'm gonna start a new campaign. What's been your guys favorite ruler to start as? (the ones the game provides for you)

I always make sure to court them properly after the wedding (or when i take over an heir that is already married). And after i started doing so, i haven't seen the adultery thing pop up again (at least for my wife). And judging by the congenital traits most of my kids inherit, it seems to work (i've secured herculean and beautiful, i'm now going after genius and maybe giant after that).

There's a stupid random event that will change the real father of your children despite your spouse never cheating on you and add a lover to her after the child already been born. In the game files: #An opportunity to turn an enemy's heir into a bastard.

What you're doing works against actual adultery but wont stop this random event from happening. You've just been lucky because it's been widely reported that this event happens at a very high frequency. I'm using a mod to delete this event from happening because it's honestly stupid.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Now that im over my title limit, does someone know what type of titles should i grant and to whom? Because i think im fucking up know.
Should i give 1 county per different person? Various counties to a person without giving a whole duchy? Is it good to spread everything into a lot of people or having less power vassals but giving them more stuff (without giving titles that are at your same level?).

Also holy shit, fuck also the enemy AI. I was winning by a lot when trying to conquer the whole duchy of valencia and the enemy just started fleeing everytime when i got near because they alway run faster than you, until because i was loosing people with all the sieges little by little. They were and got mercenaries and then the fuckers were brave enougj to not attack me. They shoild get a MUCH bigger penalty for losing when i i won a battle against them.

The Kingdom of Leon in 1066 should start with Partition rather than Confederate Partition (which Tribal rulers are stuck with and is the most common form in 867). The big difference there is that Confederate Partition will create new titles if possible, while Partition will not.

So with the two non-Confederate types of Partition, it's possible to keep the realm together simply by destroying all but one top-level (in this case, Kingdom) title.
Oh didnt see he had just Partition and not Confederate Partition. You are right on that.

But if he is playing as Leon in that start, he also has the posibility to take a decision that will unify all kingdoms he owns in Iberia into 1 (and get "Father of Spain" title).

Hahaha ok, i think i should have read this before downloading the mod then.
I finally used it and yes, while im going to inherit all the titles, all went to shit because my heir died and i had made the other 2 brothers power vassals, so when the other died they couldnt get the title even if they wer the next in succession.
Thankfully i got a super young kid i didnt even remember and thats the one that will inherit all.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Also holy shit, fuck also the enemy AI. I was winning by a lot when trying to conquer the whole duchy of valencia and the enemy just started fleeing everytime when i got near because they alway run faster than you, until because i was loosing people with all the sieges little by little. They were and got mercenaries and then the fuckers were brave enougj to not attack me. They shoild get a MUCH bigger penalty for losing when i i won a battle against them.
Yeah, it's really annoying. I hope they introduce some more elements from EU4 combat honestly. Ticking warscore and modifiers that are based on army size, battles etc. Even if combat is not the main focus of the game it feels a bit too simple at the moment.

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX
Well, some things just started clicking for me.

I stumbled on a path that landed with my heir to the Kingdom of Ireland getting married off to the King of England's mother. Basically William the Conqueror died in battle so the Kingdom goes to his oldest Robert. Meanwhile William's second son Richard IV has a son and Richard died shortly after in battle as well. King Robert dies of wounds before having any heirs, so the Kingdom goes to Richard IV's son, Walter who just so happens to be gay. When I stumble on this scenario, he is 19 and betrothed with no kids. I see his heir is his mother, since there are no more men up the chain. So I marry off my oldest son and heir to the mother, who is only 38.

I check the success rate on a murder, and it was a paltry 40 percent and would take 4 years with my setup. Thankfully though, the King of England's bishop is not too happy with and is showing as a predicted agent. So I search the land for the best rated intrigue character (my spymaster was only intrigue 12 or so). I find a wondering woman with 24 intrigue, arrange for her to marry one of my nights to get her into my Kingdom, then post her as spymaster. Thankfully my character, the King, had really high learning along with some herb skill he picked up along the way because the highest I got success rate to was 63% with a 78% keep it a secret stat. New spymaster brought it up a ton and reduced the duration to 20 months.

DIa3Wd7.jpg

Hit went of without a hitch. Mother is now queen and my son (heir) is King while I'm at the ripe age of 61. So once I die, my son will be both King of England and Ireland and I'll be able to swiftly move to getting my first Empire with the Isles. Just need to ensure I have a son or legitimize a bastard quickly once I take over as my heir.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

my favourite part is often they will flee to the shore and start just piling onto boats, sail far away, then turn right around and come back

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any practical uses for seduction? This skill tree, and attraction stats seem like it's just for the lols.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's really annoying. I hope they introduce some more elements from EU4 combat honestly. Ticking warscore and modifiers that are based on army size, battles etc. Even if combat is not the main focus of the game it feels a bit too simple at the moment.

my favourite part is often they will flee to the shore and start just piling onto boats, sail far away, then turn right around and come back
And you cant do this that easily, becuase theres a monetary penalty for that (if you dont have the no penalty for ship perk). Is like the AI doesnt give two flying fucks about money. They were at the beginning 2 factions of no more than 1200 men (counting both), by the end, with all the fleeing, they turned into 5000 by getting mercenaries (they dint have allies) and my army turned from 7000 to 4500 because of the sieges (I got more penalty for winning stuff than them losing battles againts me). How the FUCK they get so much money for mercenaries. They are cheating without a doubt.
And they just make wars go on and on on and on.

There's a stupid random event that will change the real father of your children despite your spouse never cheating on you and add a lover to her after the child already been born. In the game files: #An opportunity to turn an enemy's heir into a bastard.

What you're doing works against actual adultery but wont stop this random event from happening. You've just been lucky because it's been widely reported that this event happens at a very high frequency. I'm using a mod to delete this event from happening because it's honestly stupid.

WTF? Any link to that mod (or the name, as im in gamepass so if its on steam maybe i need to search it).

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any practical uses for seduction? This skill tree, and attraction stats seem like it's just for the lols.
You can use lovers as a tool to murder people. Plus the fertility bonuis might be very important to get babies asap (which together with lovers might give you the chance to have a ton of sons to choose from to legitimize).

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Factions deposing your ruler after you take inherit is never not going to be goddamn annoying. And they always manage to muster insane manpower too.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Game stopped autosaving when quitting and now I'm stuck on a time loop.
I guess that's what I get for playing Ironman on a paradox game.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
WTF? Any link to that mod (or the name, as im in gamepass so if its on steam maybe i need to search it).

The mod is on steam workshop only right now. However, afaik it only removes a line in the game files, you should look up how to edit those files with the gamepass version then you can do it manually. When you're in the files just control+f 'common events' and it should lead you to the right section to find the line in my post.

Factions deposing your ruler after you take inherit is never not going to be goddamn annoying. And they always manage to muster insane manpower too.

It's a bit annoying yes but imo it's the only thing that provides any challenge in this game. remove it and you're basically invincible given time.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
I want to increase my territory. why cant i declare war to anyone? how to get a casus belli?

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
the way super powerful perks are split up across trees and you can only change focus on trees once every five years is so good. the education tree to randomly give wards level ups is so good for raising a heir but getting that means my focus is torn from intrigue, war, stewardship... i haven't even looked at the diplomacy tree yet

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
I want to increase my territory. why cant i declare war to anyone? how to get a casus belli?

Ask your bishop or equivelant to fabricate a claim on a county. You can then declare war and take that county. You wont be able to take entire kingdoms or duchie's unless you have a very good claim through heritage (there's a few exceptions) without talents, look for forced vassalage in diplomat tree, that can only be used once per life though. unless you're tribal, they dont give a shit and just subjugates anyone they want lol.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Really gets annoying in the endgame when you have a vast sprawling empire as managing those factions will be all you do.

But I guess that's what happened in history too.

The easiest way to combat this is by having your heir have a lot children and marry them into the most powerful kingdoms within the empire thus creating an alliance so they cant join in on the factions and being a head of a reformed faith (if your empire has a lot of areas with a different faith than yours, then good luck). Should make it so your army is healthy enough to combat what's left. Also, murder schemes are op. just target the guys contributing most to a faction. I controlled almost all of europe this way and eventually I stopped having problems with factions during successions because my power was too great.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
My physician somehow chopped off my kid's leg to cure her cold.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
The mod is on steam workshop only right now. However, afaik it only removes a line in the game files, you should look up how to edit those files with the gamepass version then you can do it manually. When you're in the files just control+f 'common events' and it should lead you to the right section to find the line in my post.

It's a bit annoying yes but imo it's the only thing that provides any challenge in this game. remove it and you're basically invincible given time.

Challenge maybe but it is not really challengin for the AI when they are able to gather like 2-3x your manpower in like 6 months into your rule. They'r able to dogpile you, you can only counteract if you have a big warchest so you can buy like 3-4 regiments of mercs + call on allies if you have been able to get any yet.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Challenge maybe but it is not really challengin for the AI when they are able to gather like 2-3x your manpower in like 6 months into your rule. They'r able to dogpile you, you can only counteract if you have a big warchest so you can buy like 3-4 regiments of mercs + call on allies if you have been able to get any yet.

I never had to do that. In my post above I detailed some counter measures, should work for kingdoms as well. The most important thing is to have your heir have a bunch of children by the time of succession and marry them away and you should be fine even if an uprising breaks out. But yes, hoarding money once u hit 55+ is a very useful thing in case you need to hire mercs.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Really gets annoying in the endgame when you have a vast sprawling empire as managing those factions will be all you do.

Reigning an empire in this isn't that fun imo. It's just constant putting out small fires all the time lol.

It's fun to see how large it can get but you rarely fight wars on your own when empire it's your vassals.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Your son's culture must be English, he got soft.
Hm, he's Anglo-Saxon, but I don't think that's it. I had to convert from Norse to Anglo-Saxon because of a lost war ( ormaybe I'm confusing this with religion and I converted via the decision because my locals were anglo-saxon) with my first Ruler already, and his son still ruled Jorvik as the name of the realm. Or is it a combination of, Anglo-Saxon and my current ruler is the first one to inherit the kingdom of England as part of his inheritance?

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
Reigning an empire in this isn't that fun imo. It's just constant putting out small fires all the time lol.

It's fun to see how large it can get but you rarely fight wars on your own when empire it's your vassals.
Agreed, hopefully they will address that in future dlc. The journey there though? Hooo boy, fun as hell

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
it is funny that the romancing doesnt seem to factor in if you're already their spouse or not (though this being all medeval arranged marriages I totally get that you have to reseduce your wife if you actually want them to care about you or not)

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
So, how easy is it to get into the game if I have spent hundreds of hours on the previous one? Do I need a lot of tutorials?

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
So, how easy is it to get into the game if I have spent hundreds of hours on the previous one? Do I need a lot of tutorials?

I havent played CK2 but from what I've heard CK3 is basically a facelift so far (I'm sure the real evolution of the series will be in the form of expansions and patches) and might actually be less complicated than 2. You should be right at home.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
Ask your bishop or equivelant to fabricate a claim on a county. You can then declare war and take that county. You wont be able to take entire kingdoms or duchie's unless you have a very good claim through heritage (there's a few exceptions) without talents, look for forced vassalage in diplomat tree, that can only be used once per life though. unless you're tribal, they dont give a shit and just subjugates anyone they want lol.
how do i do that?

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Go to your council tab and then select the third button next to the bishop. You can use that to fabricate a claim.

Alternatively by going to the character whose territory you want, you can interact with him and request a claim through the Pope. Provided he likes you and dislikes your opponent.

Last edited:

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I've seen reports of doctors castrating their patients to treat some illness in the game. Medicine have come a long way.
in CK2 playing as Romuva I took out my hand, my nose and my leg for True Gods, and got a nice achievement out of it.

dd_02_maghreb.png

The tiles with those walled settlements.

Have you tried the Byzantines in CK2 with Imperial Elective?

Playing MP on the ERA game I basically was playing another sim-like parallel game just to get my heir elected every time.

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had problems with the inheritance system once I started getting selected as the Dynasty Head.
Just disinherit all other possible heirs and it's basically Heir Designation, no matter the laws of succession.

Disinherit is pretty OP.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had problems with the inheritance system once I started getting selected as the Dynasty Head.
Just disinherit all other possible heirs and it's basically Heir Designation, no matter the laws of succession.

Disinherit is pretty OP.

Costs prestige and still makes them pissed at you right?

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Costs prestige and still makes them pissed at you right?

Prestige is in abundance and their negative opinion of you can be offset easily by granting them a county or a duchy. Disinherit is so OP that it makes the succession laws obsolete. I see a lot of people complaining how much work it takes to get to Primogeniture so eldest son inherits all but that is a no problem with disinherit and I dont spend time or resources towards primogeniture at all. I highly advise everyone to make use of the disinherit option.

Big Tex

Oct 28, 2017
I tried searching in the thread but didnt find an answer. Is there a way to find out your active modifiers to things like prestige? For instance, I am Norse and not at war. So I have a penalty. I would like to see how big that penalty is and how the other modifiers are working.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I tried searching in the thread but didnt find an answer. Is there a way to find out your active modifiers to things like prestige? For instance, I am Norse and not at war. So I have a penalty. I would like to see how big that penalty is and how the other modifiers are working.
You can put your mouse cursor over the piety / prestige number and it gives you how much you get every day. If you hold it for a while (you will see the window start to change colour) the window with that info will become fixed, and you can put your mouse over the current value which will give the info you want (base + penalties + bonus).

The whole "wait for fixed window" happens with all the tool tips, so you can use it for a ton of stuff.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
my khan is 77 years old with 15 kids lol everyone waiting for him to die on one of his offensive campaigns

Jun 13, 2020
Prestige is in abundance and their negative opinion of you can be offset easily by granting them a county or a duchy. Disinherit is so OP that it makes the succession laws obsolete. I see a lot of people complaining how much work it takes to get to Primogeniture so eldest son inherits all but that is a no problem with disinherit and I dont spend time or resources towards primogeniture at all. I highly advise everyone to make use of the disinherit option.
Doesn't it cost Renown, not prestige? Renown is way more rare.

Big Tex

Oct 28, 2017
You can put your mouse cursor over the piety / prestige number and it gives you how much you get every day. If you hold it for a while (you will see the window start to change colour) the window with that info will become fixed, and you can put your mouse over the current value which will give the info you want (base + penalties + bonus).

The whole "wait for fixed window" happens with all the tool tips, so you can use it for a ton of stuff.

Mother fricker. My eyes have been opened. Thanks!

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
just make you sure you don't let the bastard get any hooks on you. I went to this dude's feast and drunkenly promised him a favor and next thing you know his 5 stewardship ass was incompetently collecting taxes up and down my kingdom and i couldn't fire him for nearly a decade! Thankfully he also decided to sponsor a civil war a few years down the line and I chucked him in prison for treason
Haha oh my gosh that's something I've avoided so far thankfully. I love the scenarios this games system can cook up.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Formed Britannia now and Icelanders are the worst. Backstabbing me during a crusade together with the French.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
I'm gonna start a new campaign. What's been your guys favorite ruler to start as? (the ones the game provides for you)
The woman in Spain who has three brothers has been absolute blast for me. I really like the change of pace from the waring tribal kingdom of Sweden to a cloak and dagger style shenanigans of Spain. It really shows you how great the plot system at creating memorable scenarios/characters at fly.

The game rates the faction as "hard", but I think it might be mostly because you need to understand the systems since you cant fight anyone straight on.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
I dont think i understand this game.
I played the tutorial in irland. my vassals kept fighting each other. i couldnt do anything to prevent that. after some time only one vassal was left and he owned all the land (besides mine).
Then i started another game as a duke in the holy roman empire. had some claims, wanted to declare war vs the other duke. But i cant cause it declares war between me and the holy roman emperor.
I though okay lets invade some smaller french countys. nope doesnt work cause youll declare war on the french king.
How are you supposed to increase your "empire"? by marrying offsprings off for 100s of years? I feel setting up marriages is all i can do in this game...

and how do you turn the tooltip off? its constantly in my view ...

Last edited: