eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a stark contrast to last campaign. Of course they had many NPCs that were dear friends to the characters, and several cities that were important to them. The M9 and/or the players themselves don't seem as invested in the world around them, it feels more like they're just there to sightsee, kill stuff, and get loot. You would think at least Jester would be more concerned about Ukatoa considering her mother lives on the coast, but maybe she's too wrapped up in Fjord to get a sense of the danger he presents. Hopefully going back to the Empire will shake them out of this fantasy land they've been in since they went south.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that because they chose to adventure and play pirate instead of focusing on the war on the mainland, they get faced with some heavy loss&destruction. Especially those characters that have family/friends near the border.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
I really hope that because they chose to adventure and play pirate instead of focusing on the war on the mainland, they get faced with some heavy loss&destruction. Especially those characters that have family/friends near the border.
Next episode is gonna determine a lot of things, I think. They want to go to Felderwin, but at the same time, they want to get into that Mage's Tower. The tower is most likely an entire episode or two, and Felderwin is going to bring them closer to Xhorxas, and through Trostenwald. There's also the very, very slim chance that they'll continue on through the mountain waterways up to Pride's Call and closer to Rexxentrum.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Next episode is gonna determine a lot of things, I think. They want to go to Felderwin, but at the same time, they want to get into that Mage's Tower. The tower is most likely an entire episode or two, and Felderwin is going to bring them closer to Xhorxas, and through Trostenwald. There's also the very, very slim chance that they'll continue on through the mountain waterways up to Pride's Call and closer to Rexxentrum.

I think they'll do mage tower first since they wanna visit Jester's mom anyway. and they can't just let something go unvisited - and now they have a big ass tree, too lol.

Still curious what Matt's going to do with the Mote of possibility-thing. There's gotta be some payoff/payback from using it and we really have no idea what it is/what it does/why it's so important and the M9 have been treating it so casually.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get some of their particular obsession over the mage tower.

It clearly belongs to a powerful (both magically and politically within the city) wizard. So what, they're going to try to break in again just because they're curious? Does one simply break and enter into whatever home or building one finds interesting?

They have boundary issues.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017

It clearly belongs to a powerful (both magically and politically within the city) wizard. So what, they're going to try to break in again just because they're curious? Does one simply break and enter into whatever home or building one finds interesting?

Funnily enough, thats actually one of the first things we ever saw these players do.
Remember way the hell back in Vasselhiem, they went through a bunch of shit just to break into an estate that had a magic barrier or something around it.

The more things change and all that.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Hah, I called that "I hope they one day do a return to Vox Machina where they go save Grog" when they had those shenanigans with the deck of many things in the final episode of Campaign 1. :D Didn't think it would happen this soon.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Funnily enough, thats actually one of the first things we ever saw these players do.
Remember way the hell back in Vasselhiem, they went through a bunch of shit just to break into an estate that had a magic barrier or something around it.

The more things change and all that.
It's true.
Not to mention the most heinous of all crimes: Mail theft
Definitely guaranteed a trip to hell in this campaign after that one. Vile.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
I think they'll do mage tower first since they wanna visit Jester's mom anyway. and they can't just let something go unvisited - and now they have a big ass tree, too lol.

Still curious what Matt's going to do with the Mote of possibility-thing. There's gotta be some payoff/payback from using it and we really have no idea what it is/what it does/why it's so important and the M9 have been treating it so casually.
"The Beacon".....

nothing for 20 episodes.

This stuff will all come back, sure, because it is Matt. I'm actually impressed with how much leniency he gives the cast in going off the rails.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Finished off sketches of the squad because once I popped, I couldn't stop:
bjXIij0.png
8HzLYNX.png
GRtHXhJ.png
oF9QvEz.png

With bonus Jester:
Ec3EdXb.gif

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017

It's very much a Travis thing. I don't think Fjord would actually give a shit about the tower.

And yeah I didn't even think about people on the coast being affected. They need to get Jester's mom out of there asap in case anything happens. Whether that's Fjord deciding he actually wants the power or Uka'toa sending someone to take the final orb from him when it realizes Fjord isn't playing ball anymore. Also, they really need to go back to Zidash to see The Gentleman. It will be the first meeting since the revalation and I'm hungry for it.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
It's very much a Travis thing. I don't think Fjord would actually give a shit about the tower.

And yeah I didn't even think about people on the coast being affected. They need to get Jester's mom out of there asap in case anything happens. Whether that's Fjord deciding he actually wants the power or Uka'toa sending someone to take the final orb from him when it realizes Fjord isn't playing ball anymore. Also, they really need to go back to Zidash to see The Gentleman. It will be the first meeting since the revalation and I'm hungry for it.
The line between what is a Travis thing and what is a Fjord thing is very blurry, to put it mildly.

I feel like convincing Jester's mom to leave the city will be tough. Her business seems to rely on her being a local legend and Jester (or maybe it was Matt) implied she's incredibly agoraphobic. Relocating her will have a lot of complications, but maybe the Gentleman reveal was enough to get her interested in leaving.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017

Why would they need to go see the gentlem-oh holy shit thats right that happened!!

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like convincing Jester's mom to leave the city will be tough. Her business seems to rely on her being a local legend and Jester (or maybe it was Matt) implied she's incredibly agoraphobic. Relocating her will have a lot of complications, but maybe the Gentleman reveal was enough to get her interested in leaving.

Yeah, I can imagine Ruby being one of those people that would go down with the Titanic singing her heart out, with a glass of wine in one hand and a cigarette in the other. The Gentleman is probably the only angle that would work, but it's a long shot.

They would probably have a hard time broaching it directly.. "Oh, hey mom, yeah you need to leave because Fjord has been up to some trouble with an evil snake demigod and he only needs to swallow one more orb and then the snake is released and this city will probably be destroyed so please come with us it will be lots and lots of fun and I don't want you to die."

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
yuuuuuuuuuuuuuup. I'm ready for Laura to act the shit out of that encounter.
Matt is going to be pushing it having to act The Ruby and the Gentleman in the same emotional scene against Laura.
They would probably have a hard time broaching it directly.. "Oh, hey mom, yeah you need to leave because Fjord has been up to some trouble with an evil snake demigod and he only needs to swallow one more orb and then the snake is released and this city will probably be destroyed so please come with us it will be lots and lots of fun and I don't want you to die."
"Honey, I think these new friends of yours might be a bad influence."

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
This episode was pretty interesting. Some of the character moments were really great, and I think it has made me reconsider this arc as a whole.

I know a lot of people are joking around about how lame a reward control water was for unlocking the second seal, and I don't disagree, but I think Travis/Fjord mad a good argument that this was never really about gaining that spell. Fjord doing everything he has done so far to gain information about Vandrin is actually a really interesting and kind of tragic storyline.

We know Fjord loved Vandrin, and that his death/disappearance has traumatized him to the point of mimicking the man's voice as a coping mechanism. I think an argument could be made that Fjord is lowkey desperate to find him or some information about him, and that desperation might have fueled his recklessness regarding his patron. Consider that Ukatoa already granted him one vision of Vandrin when he absorbed the first orb, and I could understand him having a bit of an irrational hope that absorbing a second one would give him another.

In a really twisted way I kind of think Fjord's willingness to mess with mysterious powers to find out more about Vandrin reminds me of a certain woman who was willing to break the world for her dead husband. I don't think it will progress nearly that far or that Fjord will become evil, but that willingness to mess with dangerous powers is there.

I also really wanted to comment on Fjord/Beau's conversation about her parents. This was probably the highlight of the episode for me. Fjord being and orphan and his desire to have a family really shined in his inability to understand Beau's pain willingness to have them out of her life.
Beau really has become my favorite character in this group, and I am absolutely ready to for her to take center stage, I just hope they don't all get arrested trying to break into a mage tower before they can get back into the empire.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
We don't know this, though.

The Vandren reveal last ep, with Clay actually contacting him, just blew up my and so many people's "Fjord is Vandren" theories.

I'm a bit confused, Jester basically implied that Fjord's Texan accent was a mimicry of Vandrin's back in episode 43. She basically asked Fjord that if he found Vandrin's body would he stop talking like him. I didn't mean to imply Fjord is Vandrin, more that the trauma of his loss drove Fjord to mimic his voice.

Vandrins still being alive and active doesn't mean the Fjord doesn't think he is dead. I think it is more that Fjord loved/looked up to Vandrin, and is mimicking him to cope with being alone and in over his head.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, in the previous episode Fjord straight-up said, "Well, Vandrin could be anywhere, so let's just go to this temple." Once Ukatoa started dangling the Aquaman powers in front of him, he really stopped searching for Vandrin. So I don't really buy his about-face. Not that he wouldn't want to know where Vandrin is, but I didn't get the impression that Fjord thought he would get more visions and that it was the impetus for going to the temple.

I think for me, I'm not really emotionally invested in the whole Fjord-Vandrin relationship because Fjord/Travis never really opened up about why Vandrin meant so much to him. Maybe his vagueness was really just because Travis had no filled-in backstory, but it didn't have any emotional resonance for me.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I think for me, I'm not really emotionally invested in the whole Fjord-Vandrin relationship because Fjord/Travis never really opened up about why Vandrin meant so much to him. Maybe his vagueness was really just because Travis had no filled-in backstory, but it didn't have any emotional resonance for me.

That's absolutely fair, and it is a problem. Of all the cast Fjord seems to be the most closed off. He seems kind of blank, and not many things drive him to display much emotion beyond exasperation or confusion, and maybe guilt. Maybe some of this is related to grief or trauma, but I can't really say. A part of me wishes they had actually gone to his home town instead of the pirate island just so we could get a sense of what he was like before his ship sunk.

I do think eventually his patron will tire of him leaving his task unfinished, and that should be really good material to work with. Matt could unleash all sorts of scary dreams and hallucinations on him. I also wonder if Ukatoa will be capable of more clear communication in the future. Avantica theorized that as his bonds were broken he could speak more clearly with them, but that could be nothing.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, in the previous episode Fjord straight-up said, "Well, Vandrin could be anywhere, so let's just go to this temple." Once Ukatoa started dangling the Aquaman powers in front of him, he really stopped searching for Vandrin. So I don't really buy his about-face. Not that he wouldn't want to know where Vandrin is, but I didn't get the impression that Fjord thought he would get more visions and that it was the impetus for going to the temple.

Hasnt fjord said multiple times that vandrin was basically a father to him?
That coupled with fjord talking about his shitty childhood in an orphanage, i felt this connection is pretty clear.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
I'm a bit confused, Jester basically implied that Fjord's Texan accent was a mimicry of Vandrin's back in episode 43. She basically asked Fjord that if he found Vandrin's body would he stop talking like him. I didn't mean to imply Fjord is Vandrin, more that the trauma of his loss drove Fjord to mimic his voice.

Vandrins still being alive and active doesn't mean the Fjord doesn't think he is dead. I think it is more that Fjord loved/looked up to Vandrin, and is mimicking him to cope with being alone and in over his head.
If anything, I think the Texas accent is a forgery.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Hasnt fjord said multiple times that vandrin was basically a father to him?
That coupled with fjord talking about his shitty childhood in an orphanage, i felt this connection is pretty clear.

I think there's a big difference between explaining the relationship, and the actor conveying the emotional weight of the relationship. The latter is what I'm saying I wasn't getting from Fjord. Though I think "he was like a father to me" is also pretty generic and didn't really get into the emotional subtext of what was going on between the two. Even relating a story about Vandrin that highlighted that relationship would've been good. But we basically still know nothing about him. These arcs are in part about us learning about the past and what makes that character tick, and often this is through meeting characters from their past -- look at Percy or Pike or Grog's story arcs for good examples of that -- and I don't think we ended up knowing much more about Fjord than we did before. Perhaps as timedesk said if they had gone to his home town, we might've seen more. Or if we ever do meet Vandrin.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
I was just able to watch the episode yesterday and I have to admit, I was pretty disappointed. Was definitely expecting a bit more tension and drama or SOMETHING to happen with Fjord. I've enjoyed this arc, but basically on the premise/hope that something would come to a head involving Fjord and his Patron and....nothing happened. I suppose it's too early for anything like that to truly happen and maybe I was getting my hopes up for nothing but it really felt like it just ended with a bit of a wet fart. Ah well, all the Avantika stuff was cool. Looking forward to a new arc!

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Fjord basically completely dismissed Jester saying "and we can find more information about Vandren too" the episode before last when they were near the temple. I thought that was a big character reveal about his true motivations, but it might just have been some loosey goosey role playing from Travis when he was caught up in the excitement of the moment. These are the kinds of things I found frustrating in this arc as someone who's trying to read into character motivations and role play choices. According to Travis's own words on the Talks Machina year-in-review, he has no plan and just does whatever he's feeling in the moment, so I guess I shouldn't have tried to take deeper meaning out of anything Fjord did/does? I'm still a bit torn on whether he has some sort of long con, or if Travis just plays at having a long con in order to give his character the appearance of more depth.

Also Jester saying "If we find Vandren, will you stop talking like him?" seemed like an educated guess on her part. She knows Fjord talks with a different voice now from when she first met him, and that Fjord has said Vandren was an important role model to him, but Jester has never met Vandren. How would she know how he spoke? I wouldn't take that scene as gospel, personally. But maybe Laura let something she knew from home conversations slip on purpose. She seemed intent on creating dialogues and scenes to flesh out Fjord over the course of his arc.

I do find it odd that Fjord's true(?) voice sounds so posh. Not exactly what one expects from an orphaned half-orc who was raised by sailors who may or may not have had Texan accents, but the choice in accent could also mean literally nothing.
We don't know this, though.

The Vandren reveal last ep, with Clay actually contacting him, just blew up my and so many people's "Fjord is Vandren" theories.
Well, what did Matt actually tell Taliesin that Vandren was doing?

"Staying out of sight... Making amends"

Pretty vague, and can be interpreted in different ways. Caduceus also didn't contact him, he contacted Melora who answered his question of "what's Vandren doing right now?" Matt seemed pretty tickled when he was formulating how to phrase it, too. It leaves room for theorizing.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the VOD and/or streaming of the Grog one shot still isn't decided

Something with the venue maybe? Or some contract shenanigans with G&S? Hopefully it's worked out, but I'm prepping myself for missing out. I hadn't even considered we might not see it until now.

KoroEunectes

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like the VOD and/or streaming of the Grog one shot still isn't decided

Something with the venue maybe? Or some contract shenanigans with G&S? Hopefully it's worked out, but I'm prepping myself for missing out. I hadn't even considered we might not see it until now.

I expected it since they removed any mention of a stream from the first promotional material that they released for the Grog one shot.
I think it has something to do with the broadcasting rights that G&S has for C1.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
It would be a weird flex considering CR's contribution to G&S's viewership in general. I would think they would jump at a chance to host a special CR stream, but it's likely the higher ups who have no conception of the ground level view who are calling those shots.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense that they would be more careful about recording/streaming a live show after the last one got messed up.

I'm more than happy to wait a few weeks for this. Obviously I hope this isn't their policy going forward if they do a live show of a numbered campaign episode.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly there will be tons of spoilers floating around before we ever get to see it. But better than no VOD at all.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Spoilers for a one-off to a campaign that's already completed is such a weird thing. Like I get it, but it's weird. We know how it ends.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers for a one-off to a campaign that's already completed is such a weird thing. Like I get it, but it's weird. We know how it ends.

Well, we have no idea what characters Liam and Travis will be playing, for one. Maybe it doesn't matter for some people, I'm fairly spoiler-adverse though as the surprises are part of the fun of watching.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
The moment to moment stuff is more interesting to me than the overarching plot. Especially with two new characters and a trip to another dimension, surprise is a big part of it.

It's like when an annoying coworker recounts every scene from a comedy special before you've seen it.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably going to miss the first half of tonight's episode. Here's hoping they can make it to Jester's mom without getting arrested, drafted, or trapped in a random mage tower.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
What are they even doing in this tower. They need to just come clean about half of this stuff they have going on right now. Marisha is holding too many cards close to her chest

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
I would assume they're looking for powerful allies. They seem to have a thing for aligning themselves with mages.

Entertaining seeing them bullshit their way into this though. Liam stress eating is hilarious.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I would assume they're looking for powerful allies. They seem to have a thing for aligning themselves with mages.

Entertaining seeing them bullshit their way into this though. Liam stress eating is hilarious.

Except there's a big power imbalance, as the mage is showing now. Taking the happy fun ball for himself, which is way more valuable than a simple spell or two.