• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Gemma Chan as Faye please!
img_2508.jpg

This is good casting

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
It's not uncommon for an episode of Cowboy Bebop to have multiple locations, a hand-to-hand fight scene, a shootout (or two) and some kind of car/spaceship chase (all in 20 minutes). You can certainly adapt the property in a smart way without breaking the bank because the setting/characters means you can basically tell any kind of story you want, but I wouldn't expect it to "mirror" the way the anime works unless they want to drop a lot of money on the show.
That description you wrote sounds like an average episode of Altered Carbon lol. So maybe Netflix is the right partner after all!

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
I will watch if it's bad.

Like, terrible CGI, hilariously bad dialogue, making Faye a romantic interest, etc.

Make the trainwreck a beautiful one.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
drake-hotline-bling-jacket-moncler-1-001.jpg

Anime and video game live action adaptations are never good. Guess I don't have to watch it, and I most likely won't.
You never saw the Gintama Live Action, eh?

On topic though, I am not sure. Whether or not it will be good or bad isn't even my first concern:

Unless they change the ending, would they even need to adapt the main story? Cowboy Bebop had standalone episodes for the most part, so would it even be necessary to adapt the anime? Might be a better decision to just do more of the crews misadventure and just have fun. Maybe have some plot breadcrumbs here and there, but don't just follow the old anime to a T.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
That description you wrote sounds like an average episode of Altered Carbon lol. So maybe Netflix is the right partner after all!

That show was pretty light on the action, though I'm not expecting every episode of this to have action either

Will probably be pretty serialized too

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That show was pretty light on the action, though I'm not expecting every episode of this to have action either

Will probably be pretty serialized too
At least in the first episode, there's a lot of action. I wouldn't worry about that part. Do expect things to be drawn out a bit more though. These stories are being stretched far past twenty minutes.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I too hope that Netflix's Cowboy Bebop reaches the level of Netflix's Death Note. Heck, I hope that they put the same extremely talented people from Death Note onto Cowboy Bebop as they clearly know what they're doing.
I know you're joking but the good news is that the director of Death Note is too busy with Godzilla right now. :D

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of ya'll have very rigid expectations for this adaptation. It can be faithful but do it's own thing and still be good.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Why... Although even if they fuck it up, the anime will still remain goat so go for it .

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
The back drop of CB is definitely a space wester. I mean they're refered to as cowboys constantly and that sort of aesthetics permeates much of the different remote locales and even the way some characters speak and behave. They even throw in a Native American shaman. CB might meander into and incorporate other genres, and does a damn fine job of it, but those aren't really the main overaching theme of the "world" it's in. The Ein comparison is to draw a pattern and not meant to demonstrate carbon copy character. In itself, it would mean nothing, but in relation to many other things it adds to many similarities between the shows.
There isn't really an overarching theme, that's kind of the point. Every character has their own "genre" as it were. Like Spike's action noir or Jet's gritty cop drama. Or one-off episodes like Pierrot le Fou which is almost gothic horror. Like how the musical stylings and genres constantly change depending on the episode so do the writing and visual stylings of the episodes themselves. I'm not very good at describing genre (it's something that's actually really difficult to nail down), but just calling Cowboy Bebop "space western" is a pretty huge disservice since it underplays just how much Cowboy Bebop mixes up its genres and style to deliver something wholly unique to itself. I had a friend who expected the show to be a "space western" and he was surprised that the only western episodes were basically only the first episode and kind of Mushroom Samba and that's basically it.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
is it going to go back in time and ruin the cartoon? no. i'm excited just because there's a chance it might be good

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
I have absolutely no faith that this will be good after they fucked up Death Note, but I am curious how they pull this off.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If The Seatbelts are not involved in this then this project is doomed.

You do not adapt cowboy bebop with music by anyone else besides Yoko Kanno
Can they just remaster it?

Also, I think the direction of the art (or aesthetic) direction is probably important as well.
cowboy_bebop_contact-0-1080-0-0.jpg

latest

cowboy-bebop-eyecatch-boogie-woogie-feng-shui-01.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

images

getImage

300646.jpg

cowboy-590x450.jpg

kkkA7g1.png

cowboybebop_cc_117_pt4.jpg

And that teaser was very generic looking, making it look like it was teasing a Star Trek show of sort (didn't even use the same font for the tagline). Is the art department going to be laissez-faire in the creation process?

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Netflix sure makes a lot of shit programming, this won't be different. Another unnecessary live action redo.
Though i always see these under "popular now" so people are at least curious. Netflix doesn't care about critical reception as long people still want to see it (even if they want just to see how bad it is). Best example are the Adam Sandler exclusives and smith/ork movie.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There isn't really an overarching theme, that's kind of the point. Every character has their own "genre" as it were. Like Spike's action noir or Jet's gritty cop drama. Or one-off episodes like Pierrot le Fou which is almost gothic horror. Like how the musical stylings and genres constantly change depending on the episode so do the writing and visual stylings of the episodes themselves. I'm not very good at describing genre (it's something that's actually really difficult to nail down), but just calling Cowboy Bebop "space western" is a pretty huge disservice since it underplays just how much Cowboy Bebop mixes up its genres and style to deliver something wholly unique to itself. I had a friend who expected the show to be a "space western" and he was surprised that the only western episodes were basically only the first episode and kind of Mushroom Samba and that's basically it.
I see that you disagree and that's okay. I don't think CB hides that it's a space western and I don't think it's a disservice to say that it generally does adhere to that in a broader sense while exploring other avenues.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All you people in here mentioning Death Note do realize that Netflix was just the exhibitor, right? Stuff they put out isn't all magically made by the same people. Completely different producers, writers, director, and even executives considering this is a series vs a feature.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
https://media.netflix.com/en/press-...ed-on-the-japanese-original-animated-series-1

• Based on the worldwide phenomenon from Sunrise Inc., Cowboy Bebop is the jazz-inspired, genre-bending story of Spike Spiegel, Jet Black, Faye Valentine and Radical Ed: a rag-tag crew of bounty hunters on the run from their pasts as they hunt down the solar system's most dangerous criminals. They'll even save the world…for the right price.
  • Episodes: 10
  • Co-Production: Netflix and Tomorrow Studios (a partnership between Marty Adelstein and ITV Studios). Netflix will handle physical production.
  • Showrunners / Executive Producers: Andre Nemec, Josh Appelbaum, Jeff Pinkner and Scott Rosenberg of Midnight Radio
  • Executive Producers: Marty Adelstein and Becky Clements of Tomorrow Studios (Snowpiercer, Good Behavior); Yasuo Miyakawa, Masayuki Ozaki, and Shin Sasaki of Sunrise Inc; Tetsu Fujimura and Matthew Weinberg.
  • Writer/Executive Producer: Christopher Yost (Thor: The Dark World, Thor: Ragnarok) will write the first episode.
  • Consultant: Shinichiro Watanabe (director of the original anime)

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Expectations for this series is at a bare minimum for me but they should at the least get Yoko Kanno or somebody capable of that type of sound for composing this one. That music was so integral to the shows vibe