• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
This sounds just like that guy who wore a flashy belt in an office environment and didn't understand why he shouldn't have worn it in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
Call me misogynous but all else equal I'd take someone more serious if they were wearing clothes over their underwear.

The professor could have talked with her privately about it instead of calling her out in front of class, or made a general comment at a later class that wasn't directed toward anyone, but it's notable the teacher is a woman. Ask people who work in a professional setting whether people judge you based on your appearance. The professor isn't in the wrong for advising students how people will perceive them during an important presentation, and it's easily imaginable the advice comes from personal experience.

Should people be judged on their appearance? No, they shouldn't, the student should be able to wear whatever she likes and she should be judged on the merits of her work. Unfortunately that's not how the world always works. If the professor's responsibility is to prepare her students for success she was just doing her job.

The notion of a male gaze and responsibility on women to dress to avoid being a distraction is not something that is exclusively done by men. Women can do it too.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The professor is wrong to body shame any women for what they wear at the exclusion of not shaming some men for not having the ability to look beyond sex in a professional setting.
The professor makes the same remarks about men. Her overall point also isn't to shame anyone

"I do not tell my students what to wear, nor do I define for them what constitutes appropriate dress," she said. "I ask them to reflect for themselves and make their own decisions."

To say that how you dress doesn't affect how people perceive you would be to simply deny reality

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Men are not required to dress professional to hide their gender- no one is worried about getting turned on watching a guy give a Power Point.

Women, not only have worry about dress professional (clean and well groomed), but whether a percentage of the males in the audience are thinking about how fuck-able the women is. Aka male gaze as the professor states.

The problem isn't what the women is wearing- she could be dressed in a burka, and some men would still get horny. Yet blame is forced on the women for distracting the men, instead demanding men have better impulse control over the sexual urges in a business setting.

The professor is wrong to body shame any women for what they wear at the exclusion of not shaming some men for not having the ability to look beyond sex in a professional setting.
Hey, you should read this post.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To say that the way women dress is viewed the same as the way men dress would be to simply deny reality
Yeah, but that's not what the professor is about. Have you never had a public speaking class? You dress up for presentations, she was just emphasizing the fact she probably shouldn't wear shorts to a thesis presentation.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but that's not what the professor is about. Have you never had a public speaking class? You dress up for presentations, she was just emphasizing the fact she probably shouldn't wear shorts to a thesis presentation.

I am honestly not arguing that the professor was being sexist or blaming her, but the misunderstanding is itself understandable given the context. There does not appear to be much of an animosity between the student and professor to my best understanding, and the student's point is one that is valid to make, even if the original reason for why it is being made is no longer valid.

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
A shame her thesis wasn't related to the issue she protested. But it's also a great way to get noticed academically and it shows moxie.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
she was just emphasizing the fact she probably shouldn't wear shorts to a thesis presentation.
By telling her she is inviting men to look at her body if she does.

It's one thing to say don't wear shorts to formal presentations, it's an entirely different subject to say don't wear shorts because then men will look at you sexually.

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Men are not required to dress professional to hide their gender- no one is worried about getting turned on watching a guy give a Power Point.

Women, not only have worry about dress professional (clean and well groomed), but whether a percentage of the males in the audience are thinking about how fuck-able the women is. Aka male gaze as the professor states.

The problem isn't what the women is wearing- she could be dressed in a burka, and some men would still get horny. Yet blame is forced on the women for distracting the men, instead demanding men have better impulse control over the sexual urges in a business setting.

Correct men are expected to dress professionally, not sure what the point of the comment is though but i'm laughing so much ....

Ah read the read of your troll comment, I'd give it a 2/10 for effort.

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Give one example of a professional man and a woman that is as you stated "how fuck-able the women is. Aka male gaze as the professor states."

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
By telling her she is inviting men to look at her body if she does.

It's one thing to say don't wear shorts to formal presentations, it's an entirely different subject to say don't wear shorts because then men will look at you sexually.
Wrong. That did not happen. It's probably what the student wishes would have been said to validate her totally inappropriate 'protest' though.

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing members and accusing them of trolling.

You're a creep and quite obviously a troll. Congrats on your replies ;)

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not seeing an issue with the professor or girl. Prof not wrong with saying you are going to be judge with how you present yourself, regardless of how open minded someone is. While girl isn't wrong either with saying it has a lot to do with the "male" gaze.

Of course I'd be the idiot making stripping jokes and probably bring my pole while taking off my pants. So I'm not the best person to question.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I still side with Chai. I understand the professor's intentions, but it's a point that needs to be challenged more often. It kinda feels like something a professor thought was smart to do 20 years ago and has kept doing with every class since.

People didn't stop expecting others to dress appropriately in a professional setting 20 years ago though. The advice isn't outdated at all.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
I think it should be noted that there are pretty big differences in terms of dress code for business and academia.

In universities its usually very lax. I went to my undergrad viva and presentation in jeans and a T-shirt. No one said anything.

That doesn't mean I am a fan of dress codes in business.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Neither party seems 'In the wrong' in this - it seems like there was the one student who said something inappropriate, but the professor never said anything wrong and there was just a bit of a miscommunication. Ultimately the student turned the discussion into a statement in its own right.

That doesn't mean stripping to your underwear would be appropriate in an interview or at the office, but I think given all the info there it worked just fine in this context.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't disagree with anything you said, but no one gave a shit how we looked at my thesis practice sessions. Hell, I had mono when it was time to practice and basically rolled in dressed like I was going to bed right when I was done (I was) and the profs never said anything. It was stated when we began that we had to dress professionally for the actual presentation though. But we weren't graded on the practice sessions.

Pretty much. If it's a practice session why bother?

The real thing is different. I feel like dressing accordingly it's kind of giving more respect to the setting and the work you're exposing.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I think it should be noted that there are pretty big differences in terms of dress code for business and academia.

In universities its usually very lax.

We were expected to dress up to some extent when I gave the presentation for my Master's thesis. Definitely not suit and tie level, but dressing more casually than a "business casual" type outfit would have been seen as disrespectful. Even in classes my cohort often dressed similarly when we gave presentations that were graded.

Not sure what "very lax" means to you but I've never seen anyone present in jeans and a t-shirt past intro-level courses, and I wouldn't consider bachelor's coursework to be indicative of "academia."

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
College is so fucking strange.

Wait until the real world hit's these people.
Why assume the "real world" will beat them down when they may be the ones beating down barriers in the "real world"? Change happens because people make an effort to change things.

What she did was incredibly brave! Content of words and character trump superficial wardrobe conduct.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
We were expected to dress up to some extent when I gave the presentation for my Master's thesis. Definitely not suit and tie level, but dressing more casually than a "business casual" type outfit would have been seen as disrespectful. Even in classes my cohort often dressed similarly when we gave presentations that were graded.

Not sure what "very lax" means to you but I've never seen anyone present in jeans and a t-shirt past intro-level courses, and I wouldn't consider bachelor's coursework to be indicative of "academia."

A viva for a thesis is not coursework. I did my masters viva in jeans and a long sleeved shirt. Will probably do the same for my PhD.

It would be far more inappropriate for the examiners to comment on your appearance during an exam. Which is what happened here.

I also realise it differs between countries. I hear its basically ceremony with robes and whatnot in the netherlands for example.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That would mean even more of the article in the OP, which already touches on the prof's PoV and contains a quote.

Not to mention, this is all on the first page of the thread. Along with a second article, and quotes from such, that provides more information.

If people are going to discuss, the links are right there, and there are no paywalls. If people are going to drop hot takes w/o reading, well, at least we know who to ignore.
By omitting it you are steering the conversation in the way you want it to go but I suspect you already know that.

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see how the Professor was in the wrong. More so after reading the accounts of her classmates. To me it seems like she made a mountain out of a mole hill

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I think stripping down during the thesis was a bit much.

That said, if my proffessors back in Uni ever tried to make a point about what I was wearing at the time and use that as a stepping stone to start talking about what's appropriate or not to the entire class, I'd be making a trip straight to the Student office and filing a complaint. Especially if I was a woman and it was about the length of my shorts.

Oct 25, 2017
Wrong. That did not happen. It's probably what the student wishes would have been said to validate her totally inappropriate 'protest' though.

Her protest, regardless of the inciting incident, is entirely valid.

There seems to be more animosity for the student by people on Era than there is between the student and professor.

It also reminds of Mark Wahlberg holding the production of that one movie hostage. So many people talk about his moxie to extort money from the production company. Here, a student is using this as a platform to make a point that is valid regardless of any potential miscommunication, and it legitimately seems to cause offense. No one's getting fired, and no one seems to be seeking her dismissal.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
A viva for a thesis is not coursework. I did my masters viva in jeans and a long sleeved shirt. Will probably do the same for my PhD.

Different cultures at different schools I guess. Like I said, that would have been pretty unheard of at the state college I went to. I doubt you'd be reprimanded or anything and so far as I know there was no formal dress code, but everyone dressed at least a little nicer than that of their own accord.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Why assume the "real world" will beat them down when they may be the ones beating down barriers in the "real world"? Change happens because people make an effort to change things.

What she did was incredibly brave! Content of words and character trump superficial wardrobe conduct.

You see some of us live in and participate in the real world.

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

In universities its usually very lax. I went to my undergrad viva and presentation in jeans and a T-shirt. No one said anything.

That doesn't mean I am a fan of dress codes in business.

I did both at the same time for Science, believe it or not.

There is a sense of pride when you present your thesis and pretty much a given you make an effort.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017

Because so many of was were so brave in college. Then real life happened.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
I did both at the same time for Science, believe it or not.

There is a sense of pride when you present your thesis and pretty much a given you make an effort.

I don't understand your first sentence.

Regarding the second, If a sense of effort is not conveyed in the presentation or the 200 page document you have presented, a nice wardrobe will not make up for it.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
It will be mighty ironic if we turn around and say dressing a certain way should not matter...after pretty much everyone that commented in that other thread came to consensus that a flashy belt was not appropriate business attire for work.

Underwear-only is definitely not business casual.

This is about breaking out of a business casual mold, not trying to redefine business casual.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It's not difficult sweetheart, read the post I quoted again. <3
Why be demeaning? "Sweetheart"? Come on

You see some of us live in and participate in the real world.
You're just saying pretty much the same thing the person I quoted said, I don't know why you quoted me or where we're supposed to go from here. I don't know where this mythical "real world" is and why she is somehow not a part of it, and I read stories all the time about brave people who buck the defeatism you're presenting. Look at someone like Emma Gonzalez, I bet there's a ton of shitheads who said things like "oh she can have her fun now but wait till she enters the real world", like what does that even mean? or the kids walking out of school because of gun violence, I bet plenty of people said "yeah but they would never walk out of their JOB like that!"

Is it just a way to diminish what a young person does or is it jealousy that others aren't doing things like that?