• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
In a translated interview with Xbox Squad, Compulsion Games head of press relations Naila Hadjas spoke about the studio acquisition. When asked if the next game being integrated into Xbox Game Pass had an impact on development, Hadjas said it does, but a positive one.
"No, no negative impact. Positive, yes. We want as many people as ever to be able to access our games. On We Happy Few for example, at first we were going to release it only on Steam, and little by little, we added it on ID@Xbox and then Playstation at the same time. What we really want is for people to be able to play our game. The fact that it's on Game Pass means that more people will be able to play it. There is not really a negative side."
Hadjas did go on to say there was a negative impact developing a game between Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, claiming there's "a lot of technical constraints".
"The only thing that can negatively impact is when studios make versions on several consoles. For example Xbox One and Series. There are a lot of technical constraints. It is a version of the game that must roll on both even if they do not have the same power."
www.purexbox.com

We Happy Few Devs Says Xbox Game Pass Has 'No Negative Impact' On Development

But developing between Xbox generations has constraints

DoktorAkcel

Aug 30, 2019
How many times it needs to be reiterated though? It still won't convince the "Gamepass pushes GaaS model" crowd, existing fans already know that...

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've definitely been skeptical before, but it is really nice to hear devs talk about it as a unilateral positive. That it provides major financial stability to smaller devs (a few posters here have told me that some indie games up there had their entire development cost covered) is something I think is really good, like Dodgeball Academia following suit in that regard means those guys already turned a profit and are still selling it on other platforms.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Wait...why would a first party dev say anything else ? Or am i missing something ?

Not saying she is lying or anything but GamePass is MS mayor gaming subscription service, implying that it has negative impact on development would be a PR nightmare and not something anyone associated with MS would state.

PS. Also i dont see a reason why GP would have mayor effect on the development cycle, the games stay the same it just the way they are distributet changing for people with a sub. You are still gonna be able to just buy the games, its not like Netflix Originals where you only can stream and need the sub.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Wait..why would a first party dev say anything else ? Or am i missing something ?
I think the original question in the interview is more about game decisions… like if Xbox is pressuring them into making a GaaS for Game Pass. A first party studio will probably never outright shit on Game Pass but I'm sure they would hint at it if they were being forced to make games a certain way.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Wait..why would a first party dev say anything else ? Or am i missing something ?

Because they're the ones who would know best if gamepass affects development or not since theyre the ones affected? Maybe you think a playstation studio would know more about how gamepass affect how their develop their games though

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I think the original question in the interview is more about game decisions… like if Xbox is pressuring them into making a GaaS for Game Pass. A first party studio will probably never outright shit on Game Pass but I'm sure they would hint at it if they were being forced to make games a certain way.

No, they wouldnt. They are owned by MS, no first party studio is shitting on GP or implying something that could come off as negative. Come on.

PS: I believe her, i just dont think we would ever hear anything otherwise so its not really news worthy for me. This is the company line and we wont hear a first party dev tell us something different.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I love Game Pass and I love that developers are liking the model but I do wonder if we'll get to a point where a dev launches their game on Game Pass and it horribly backfires for them.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
even if its effect they will not say it of course

Probably not. Sometimes they give subtle hints about it though when they're really unhappy. But being surprised that a first party studio is being asked makes no sense, why would they ask anybody else? What would Gearbox know about designing games for gamepass?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I love Game Pass and I love that developers are liking the model but I do wonder if we'll get to a point where a dev launches their game on Game Pass and it horribly backfires for them.
How would that even be possible ? They know what they signed up for and the games can still be on other plattforms (obv. not first party ones) and be bought regularly as well.

GamePass is an optional/additional distribution service, not a replacement for the established distribution.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh that was weird quote.

Was gonna say how perfect of a platform Game Pass is for Compulsion Games.

Last edited:

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
As long as Microsoft pays the publisher or dev a proper amount of money upfront then I don't see it having an impact on Game Design. Upselling dlc etc.. is more from other market factors.

And I think Phil Spencer has said it's in their interest to actually have shorter games so more games are played rather than one game attracting all of the attention.

And as for Microsoft first parties, sounds like they are hands off. And I don't think they would have bought studios like DoubleFine or Compulsion if they wanted large money making GAAS games.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I'm sure the experts here will let us know why they're wrong.
Lol, yup. This could be explained a thousand more times, it won't matter to some.

As long as Microsoft pays the publisher or dev a proper amount of money upfront then I don't see it having an impact on Game Design. Upselling dlc etc.. is more from other market factors.

And I think Phil Spencer has said it's in their interest to actually have shorter games so more games are played rather than one game attracting all of the attention.

I'd like to see that quote because many games on it are not short. It's a service that will have all types of games. Which is does currently.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, yup. This could be explained a thousand more times, it won't matter to some.

I'd like to see that quote because many games on it are not short. It's a service that will have all types of games. Which is does currently.
more of a multiplayer / gaas vs single player narrative games. Which are shorter. But yeah here it is:

www.gamereactor.eu

Phil Spencer on exclusivity, monetisation and game development

We spoke at length with Head of Xbox Phil Spencer about first-party software, monetisation, and what The Initiative is actually doing.
Interviewer: The same can be said for games with an inherent online focus, or even Live Service titles. Do you have a certain strategy as to how many projects at any given times are strictly single-player, or strictly multiplayer, or is it more fluid than that?

Spencer: Yeah, it's totally up to each studio, and I know some people that, when they've looked at the model around Game Pass, have assumed that Game Pass is actually a better model, if there's more Games-as-a-Service games in the subscription. I actually argue the opposite and believe the opposite. The last thing I want in Game Pass is that there's one game that everybody is playing forever, that's not a gaming content subscription, that's a one-game subscription, that's WoW, right? So for us, having games in the subscription that have a beginning, middle, and end, and then they go on to play the next game, maybe those are single-player narrative-driven games, I just finished Tell Me Why, an amazing game from DontNod, those games can be really strong for us in the subscription. In many ways, they're actually better than one or two games that are soaking up all the engagement in the subscription. I want a long tail of a lot of games that people are playing, and I think the diversity of online multiplayer versus single-player, we have to support the diversity there, and that's my goal. If anything I'd like to see more single-player games from our first-party, just because that over time we've kind of grown organically to be more multiplayer-driven as an organisation.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
more of a multiplayer / gaas vs single player narrative games. Which are shorter. But yeah here it is:

www.gamereactor.eu

Phil Spencer on exclusivity, monetisation and game development

We spoke at length with Head of Xbox Phil Spencer about first-party software, monetisation, and what The Initiative is actually doing.
- Yeah, it's totally up to each studio
- So for first-party, I would like us to kind of experiment with the different models, because I don't think we want to be beholden, as an industry, to one model to rule them all,

But in typical fashion some read what they want to read. Pick out little tidbits in each interview and twist them to suit their own narrative.

Halo Infinite for example is coming this year, it's a game that is designed to be updated for years, does this one title alone not contradict what you are implying?

Like I said, there will be all types of games, ones like Tell Me Why and 12 minutes which are short narrative games. GaaSS model games like Sea of Thieves that have had updates for years. Lengthy games like The Outer Worlds and likely Starfield. Regular length games like Psychonauts 2 that just came out.

So tell me again what you're trying to suggest?

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Wait...why would a first party dev say anything else ? Or am i missing something ?

Not saying she is lying or anything but GamePass is MS mayor gaming subscription service, implying that it has negative impact on development would be a PR nightmare and not something anyone associated with MS would state.

PS. Also i dont see a reason why GP would have mayor effect on the development cycle, the games stay the same it just the way they are distributet changing for people with a sub. You are still gonna be able to just buy the games, its not like Netflix Originals where you only can stream and need the sub.
Exactly. Why would he say otherwise.
Time will tell if the model benefits everyone. For now it seems Microsoft deep pockets allows for it to be good for both devs and subscribers.
But MS won't be losing money forever

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Third party devs have been saying this for ages. Still won't stop certain people saying the opposite in bad faith.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
- Yeah, it's totally up to each studio
- So for first-party, I would like us to kind of experiment with the different models, because I don't think we want to be beholden, as an industry, to one model to rule them all,

But in typical fashion some read what they want to read. Pick out little tidbits in each interview and twist them to suit their own narrative.

Halo Infinite for example is coming this year, it's a game that is designed to be updated for years, does this one title alone not contradict what you are implying?

Like I said, there will be all types of games, ones like Tell Me Why and 12 minutes which are short narrative games. GaaSS model games like Sea of Thieves that have had updates for years. Lengthy games like The Outer Worlds and likely Starfield. Regular length games like Psychonauts 2 that just came out.

So tell me again what you're trying to suggest?
I'd start judging their output years down the line. A lot of these games started development before game pass or before the studios were bought. And as Spencer said at the end, a lot of their studios are multiplayer focused because that is what they have been doing the last 20 years. Seems like all of the new studios they bought are more single player focused, and none of them have released a game that has started development after their purchase.

Basically saying, Microsoft is investing and probably signing more single player games for game pass. Single Player games are usually shorter than gaas.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
How would that even be possible ? They know what they signed up for and the games can still be on other plattforms (obv. not first party ones) and be bought regularly as well.

GamePass is an optional/additional distribution service, not a replacement for the established distribution.
How? If the additional revenue from GamePass doesn't make up for the loss of revenue from customers where there's platform overlap. It shouldn't happen if you get your numbers right, but in entertainment nothing is guaranteed

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I'd start judging their output years down the line. A lot of these games started development before game pass or before the studios were bought. And as Spencer said at the end, a lot of their studios are multiplayer focused because that is what they have been doing the last 20 years. Seems like all of the new studios they bought are more single player focused, and none of them have released a game that has started development after their purchase.

Basically saying, Microsoft is investing and probably signing more single player games for game pass. Single Player games are usually shorter than gaas.
They bought Playground games, which is releasing Forza Horizon 5 coming soon so...

You say judging down the line, do you not currently use it? It not maybe you should. They bought new studios to diversify, so again why are you focusing on one area?

I'm sure the experts here will let us know why they're wrong.
This person was spot on.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
They bought Playground games, which is releasing Forza Horizon 5 coming soon so...

You say judging down the line, do you not currently use it? It not maybe you should. They bought new studios to diversify, so again why are you focusing on one area?
Playground isn't going to change up the formula of the horizon games.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Game studio says the product of 2 trillion dollar underdog parent company doesn't threaten game development at all.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017

This person was spot on.

honest question - do you think a ms first party dev would say or hint anything negative about gamepass?

i don't see this validating or disqualifying the effect of gamepass. if a multiplatform dev says something like this, then I would take it seriously.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Playground isn't going to change up the formula of the horizon games.

They are also making Fable, you think it's going to be a short game based on that interview? Does Bethesda make short games? Why is it so hard for you to just say Game Pass offers diverse games ranging from MMO's and GaaS games, to short experiences like 12 Minutes and Tell Me Why to long RPG's? Every platform has short games and long games.

honest question - do you think a ms first party dev would say or hint anything negative about gamepass?

i don't see this validating or disqualifying the effect of gamepass. if a multiplatform dev says something like this, then I would take it seriously.
Honest question, do you use the service? They are getting a ton of new indie games, some are actually quite great. What you won't get much of are AAA third party games for obvious reasons, but how does that disqualify what was said? It's up to you to tell us what the downside is based on what they said, the games bring greater exposure, that's not a negative thing.

Oct 27, 2017
I love game pass and it does sell more games just because more streamers and eyes are on the games but a first party dev isn't going to say anything other than great things

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
How many times it needs to be reiterated though? It still won't convince the "Gamepass pushes GaaS model" crowd, existing fans already know that...

I was just about to post this. The more these types of business experiences are stated, 1st party or otherwise, the more hubris will be corrected and eventually disregarded.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
Regardless of actual situation of gamepass model, MS's own studio saying "game pass is great" is absolutely worthless as counter argument.

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this won't change over the generation or even the one after that.

They can say what they want and some people won't hear it until it's proven again and again.

Hell, people act like they don't understand why many consumers buy a Playstation at launch without knowing what games are coming. It can't be the now 5th generation of getting games, games and more games. No that would be to logical.

The same will happen with Game Pass. Now it's still fresh and mostly talk. but year after year. Release after release more and more people will start to trust the whole Game Pass thing.

Xbox just can't hope for people to trust them so easily, especially after the whole Xbox One debacle, just because they started with a great service (Game Pass). This will take years and years. Just like it did with Playstation and Nintendo.

I for one enjoy Game Pass Ultimate very much right now. Psychonauts 2, The Ascent and Hades were great. Let's see what the future brings.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
Conversely, people who say 'Gamepass will lead to more GAAS / less AAA games' have zero evidence to support those assertions.
And people can continue asking for evidence if there is no data to support that argument.

IMO, using statement from head of communication of studio owned by MS as evidence is no evidence at all. PR person isn't gonna say anything contradictory to company's official business strategy in public unless they are having bad breakup.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Regardless of actual situation of gamepass model, MS's own studio saying "game pass is great" is absolutely worthless as counter argument.
Counter argument to what?

The "other" argument is a bunch of console warriors making blanket and unsubstantiated assertions.

Speculation of what the end game for Gamepass is one thing, assuming you acknowledge it as speculation, but this whole treating assumption like fact and pretending it has any legitimacy requiring "countering" is absurd.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And people can continue asking for evidence if there is no data to support that argument.

IMO, using statement from head of communication of studio owned by MS as evidence is no evidence at all. PR person isn't gonna say anything contradictory to company's official business strategy in public unless they are having bad breakup.
I agree with that. You most certainly should not take anything a company says at face value, particularly if it's in their business interest to create a positive narrative. All I'm saying is the lack of non-anecdotal evidence works both ways. One can't claim that Game Pass isn't sustainable / will lead to lower budget games / more live service titles / etc. without any evidence and then in the same breath denounce the only statements we do have as biased PR pieces. I'm not referencing you with this criticism, but I have seen that sort of 'argument' online from some people in the last year or so as GP has continued to pick up momentum.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
This is obvious when you look at other subscription services like Netflix. To take the GAAS argument and put it on Netflix, you'd have to argue that Netflix is pushing for 50 episode seasons of TV shows to keep people subbed for months at a time.

The reality is that's silly; they release mini-series like Maniac or Black Mirror because what you actually need to fill a subscription service is content dropping 6-12 times a year for most consumers. That keeps them subbed, not long slogs that people become tired of.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
This is obvious when you look at other subscription services like Netflix. To take the GAAS argument and put it on Netflix, you'd have to argue that Netflix is pushing for 50 episode seasons of TV shows to keep people subbed for months at a time.

The reality is that's silly; they release mini-series like Maniac or Black Mirror because what you actually need to fill a subscription service is content dropping 6-12 times a year for most consumers. That keeps them subbed, not long slogs that people become tired of.
There's probably room for both in all likelihood.

Gaas and MMO to me is the equivalent of Sports for cable TV. If you have Football/NBA/Baseball, you basically have to subscribe(or find an alternative access point, which is hard to do with Gamepass). I'm sure Microsoft would love to find the next Destiny, FFIV, Genshin, CoD, and/or Fortnite, which could be their hook to keep a sect of gamers subscribed all year, but there's a lot of people that aren't gonna stay subscribed unless you offer them their niche. And offer them enough of it every year to stay subscribed. Which is where it makes sense they are vacuuming up so much single player talent and signing deals with indies and 3rd party studios to get their stuff on Gamepass.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Microsoft has cross gen games in the pipeline and is mandating devs make games on both the Series X and the Series S, yet that didn't stop the dev from saying that developing on hardware of varying power profiles is a headache.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
The "gamepass pushes GAAS" thing only makes sense if you're talking about Microsoft, who're the ones actually making games for gamepass and are making the only games guaranteed to be on there forever. And Microsoft already makes way too many GAAS titles anyway so even then it wouldn't be changing anything.

EDIT: I'm a dumbass and forgot Compulsion was owned by Microsoft. I do feel like what I said applies, but mainly to the core Xbox titles like Halo, Gears, Forza, Sea of Thieves, et cetera.