samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just looked at a 1 week trip for 4 to Scotland (2 adults and 2 kids under 5). Flight and hotel per person looks about 1200 per person on the low side. That leaves 1200 for expenses on the trip...its not crazy.
I was referring to the dude who said he spent nearly $6k on his own vacations which is really puzzling.

I agree the "3 vacations a year" is silly but the cost of travel of a family of four would take up $3k-$4k so they are not taking expensive trips.

Oct 27, 2017
It's easy to feel average when your rich when you got it in your head that you should be super rich. That success and happiness as a human being is shown in wealth. To have a New York pent house and vacation homes and a half dozen sports cars and maybe a private jet, that's what rich people define rich as, so that they can justify their hunger for morenever being quenched.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this supposed to make me feel something?
There are so many line items on that list that can be scaled back on. These people come across as complete morons.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
I was referring to the dude who said he spent nearly $6k on his own vacations which is really puzzling.

I agree the "3 vacations a year" is silly but the cost of travel of a family of four would take up $3k-$4k so they are not taking expensive trips.
Oh ha...yeah a 6k solo trip would be insane.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
original.jpg

instant classics
Came here for this.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
These people don't sound like public education types to me, but who knows

We really don't know these people so it's hard to say one way or the other. You could be right, but the fact is with two working parents, child care is often unavoidable regardless of how you plan to deal with public or private school and it's damn expensive in places were cost of living is high.

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
60k on mortgage payments was instant checkout zone. Nowhere near "average." Neither is both parent able to drop 18k a piece towards 401k.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having a 5-figure "Miscellaneous" fund every month made me laugh out loud for real.

These average plebs are never going to have a 14k gold house and a rocket car.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
That's cool, but what will you do when you are old/retired and have no income?

I'm not in the US, I'm Canada where there's a bit more options with pension and unemployment insurance (which I've been capping contributions for over a decade). So as long as I keep one of my real estate investments I've gone through I'm fine. Plus My girlfriend who I will probably propose to is a marketing executive who is a lot more of saver then me so she can be my sugar mamma :)

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. They have really nice cars, go on 3 $6000 vacations a year, save into their 401K, pay towards their children's college fund... I'm confused... what's the takeaway?

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They spend more on food than I make in a year.

Eat the rich! This article pisses me off so much. These people have no clue. They're paycheck to paycheck but if something happens, they can cover. If something bad happens to the rest of us, it's game over.

I could live a happy life on 1/5th of what they're making and complaining about feeling average.

Last edited:

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. They have really nice cars, go on 3 $6000 vacations a year, save into their 401K, pay towards their children's college fund... I'm confused... what's the takeaway?
That if you're wealthy you can literally just burn money on frivolous dumb shit all year long and still have almost $7500 left over every year just to spend on whatever.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

if i remember the actual original article that's from, there is a message about how you shouldn't try to keep up with the jones and instead focus on a budget that works for you

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
What a person feels is an average or expected lifestyle tends to be based on what their peers and social group are doing—that's not really news. They're obviously providing a relatively luxurious lifestyle for themselves and their children, which has plenty of room to cut back to free up more money for savings and investments. They're just choosing their lifestyle instead. And even with that, they're still maxing out their 401ks, giving a substantial amount to charity, and have a small surplus/misc. fund. Not exactly under duress.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
if i remember the actual original article that's from, there is a message about how you shouldn't try to keep up with the jones and instead focus on a budget that works for you

I read the article. It was pretty fluffy. I almost got the sense that it was an underhanded jab at taxes.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking dying. "Average" lol.

Almost two milly on the house. Three vacations a year. Three milly life insurance policy. Classically trained musician children.

Average! Joe six pack. The guy who wakes up every morning in his four hundred dollar a month apartment, wonders how he's gonna pay his mortgage that month. Wonders how he's gonna fill his car up, with oil. Wonders "how am I gonna pay my kids' orphanage bills".

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
How high up are these lawyers that they can vacation 3 times a year? Probably own the firm cuz otherwise they ought to be sleeping under the desks, not vacation.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
how the fuck do they feel average?

Because they hang around with people just like themselves, so in their group they are average. They probably know they make good money, but don't feel they are getting ahead like they should. Lots of people feel this way.

They still need to work and pay bills and occasionally worry about money. They would be screwed if one person lost their job. That is why they feel average.

Not to say they aren't doing very well, but human psychology can be weird.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Everyone focusing on the 5 series but that landcruiser was probably more expensive than the bmw. 3 vacations and a shitload of money on clothes. Jesus.

The money the spend on food is also ridiculous tbh

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
23k/12/4 = $479 a month per person on food..? Holy shit. That's easily twice what I spend and I don't even cook.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's an important difference between someone living paycheck to paycheck whose entire income is already spoken for by bills and low cost essentials, and someone living paycheck to paycheck who has massive discretionary spending (tens of thousands in vacations, tens of thousands in charity, tens of thousands in retirement savings, etc.)