Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/06/budget-breakdown-of-a-couple-that-makes-500000-a-year-but-cant-save.html?__source=twitter|main

D2jRJxiW0AAwAvo.png

Play me a tiny violin if old.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
wtf @ the clothing expenses

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Damn, those must be real depressing vacations when you go to bed each night knowing that you only have $7300 left over each year

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kind of odd that their cars and student loans are the least questionable part of this breakdown. Kind of makes me wonder how their student loans are that small given their income.

Either way, this is kind of a pointless graphic meant to make the average reader have a very obvious reaction to it.

Oct 25, 2017
what do they need to save for? They put away more than I make in a year into 401ks.

Maybe stop buying luxury cars? Don't give $18k a year to charity? $2k a month in food? The childcare bill will be gone in a few years once the kids are in school.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Looks about right. They're fine. Enjoying their lifestyle. And they have plenty of room to cut back. Which they should and bank that shit now. You never know what tomorrow holds.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
At least they can afford childcare, 401k, extracurricular activities for their kids, and student tuition. Other people get fuck all. If America were a functioning society, those services would be provided to everyone through the taxes of rich people like this.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Three vacations a year?
BMW?
Sports, piano and violin lessons?

Does anyone know about managing their money?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Someone clearly failed High School Math because this is in no way, shape, or form "average".

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
How do you get to that income level and not just pay off your student loans

Also, yes, $1.5M home is ridiculous, but I see people drop around a million near me on the regular. Property is expensive in desirable coastal cities

3 vacations is a funny joke, these people are supposed to be Americans right?

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
lol these people can get fucked.

I feel fortunate with the two of us bringing in nearly $70K/year in the sense that we don't feel completely poor anymore. You'd never hear me saying anything to the contrary.

I grew up extremely poor. Like ketchup sandwiches and water for dinner poor. Don't talk to me about "average" bringing in that much money.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Spending $18000 a year on THREE vacations, giving the same amount to charity, AND factoring $10,000 for emergencies or "things coming up", and they STILL have $7300 a year left over to do WHATEVER?

That's supposed to feel average?

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
Having more than 7,000 a year leftover AFTER miscellaneous expenses and THREE vacations is still wildly enviable imo

This is just an example of people making a lot and learning to spend a lot and then thinking that because it's all gone, it's not actually a lot.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I always love these breakdowns. Remember when the Bush tax cuts were set to expire and there were all those "Households making $250,000 a year are barely getting by!" articles.