choog

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
There's an odd ambiguity about the places and people these songs are about.

It's "small town" and "my town" and not "Flat Rock" or "Ravenswood" or some specific place and people. It's more about feelings than what it's like to live in Appalachia or the rural Southeast.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah he's not fooling anybody with those lyrics. Modern country music is so garbage. Why can't they all be more like Dolly?
Holy shit. This was at nr.1 in the USA? What the actual fuck? I just listened to it and watched the video. It looked like a Southpark bit. Those lyrics.... Are people drinking 100% pure stupid?

Mar 11, 2020
In contrast to this idiot: a country artist who writes their own songs and is actually from a small town just released his new single. The music video is a gay love story about two coal miners. Some people aren't taking it well.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

"[One] reason that I wanted to do this music video was my cousin growing up, who's like my big brother, is gay. And he graduated from Northern Kentucky, went to Chicago and never came back. He taught me so much about singing; he was my first tough critic. And just thinking about him not having a music video on CMT that spoke to him."

I didn't want to cry this morning. Dammit this made me cry.

Banana Nicole

Banned
May 26, 2023
There's multiple songs like this every week that are much better. But thanks Sheryl for putting an end to Andean's declining relevancy /s

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Song went from Number 1 to number 21

Guess the conservatives stopped buying hundreds of copies to own the libs

Jason Aldean’s ‘Try That in a Small Town’ suffers historic drop from Billboard Hot 100 top spot

After rising to No. 1 on the mainstream chart last week, Aldean's hit has fallen to No. 21, the steepest drop ever for a song that didn't debut at the top. But it still holds a strong position on country charts.
Soon it'll be number 88

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Holy shit. This was at nr.1 in the USA? What the actual fuck? I just listened to it and watched the video. It looked like a Southpark bit. Those lyrics.... Are people drinking 100% pure stupid?
People don't buy music on iTunes in anywhere near the numbers they used to thanks to Apple Music and Spotify.

It's relatively easy to get a song to number one if you can rile up a few thousand people to buy it. If we wanted here on Resetera we could probably get a song of our choice to number one

Oct 28, 2017
Man I was not prepared for just how bad this was going to be. And just to make sure he removed all possible routes of plausible deniability, the imagery just doubles down on the message of the song.

What the fuck.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Yes. i had to explain to a boomer yesterday that just because the song doesn't outright use the word "lynch" or "vigilante justice" doesn't meant it isn't about those things. He kept trying to argue they'd just drive you out of their small town, and it's like "WITH WHAT, BRETT? WITH FUCKING WHAT?"

Absolute lunacy.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I was happy to see this song get co-opted for the Montgomery Brawl memes, that was cool. haha

But yeah, the sooner this song goes away entirely, the better.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
People don't buy music on iTunes in anywhere near the numbers they used to thanks to Apple Music and Spotify.

It's relatively easy to get a song to number one if you can rile up a few thousand people to buy it. If we wanted here on Resetera we could probably get a song of our choice to number one

See that crappy trump song. See what's number one in a week.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017

Someone should make a thread to test this theory. It could be fun.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Yes. i had to explain to a boomer yesterday that just because the song doesn't outright use the word "lynch" or "vigilante justice" doesn't meant it isn't about those things. He kept trying to argue they'd just drive you out of their small town, and it's like "WITH WHAT, BRETT? WITH FUCKING WHAT?"

Absolute lunacy.
Now you could chalk this up to them tryna be coy about their politics, but something I've noticed being surrounded by conservatives my whole life is that they don't quite get figurative language or subcontext or satire. (It's why all their comparisons to any kind of injustice are fucking bonkers.) One of the first things I witnessed at my job was a coworker sharing a parody of Future's "Mask Off" lampooning Karens bitching about covid restrictions and presenting it as a genuine anti-masking song.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Now you could chalk this up to them tryna be coy about their politics, but something I've noticed being surrounded by conservatives my whole life is that they don't quite get figurative language or subcontext or satire. (It's why all their comparisons to any kind of injustice are fucking bonkers.) One of the first things I witnessed at my job was a coworker sharing a parody of Future's "Mask Off" lampooning Karens bitching about covid restrictions and presenting it as a genuine anti-masking song.
Na, I agree. I think they just have really, really bad media literacy and if it isn't in front of their face, then it's just liberals being whiney and crazy. I had this one guy who kept singing "The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades" because he thought it was this uplifting song about graduating from school when it's actually about nuclear war. Took some convincing, and I ruined the song for him, but like .... bro!