• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. It does look like the upscale isn't as good as SaGa or Mana, but I'm happy to get a better version.

The fact that it includes Radical Dreamers is really cool. Worth it for that.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
i'll buy it because i want all the content but i wish they had AI upscaling

come on man, just leave it to the SaGa team, they know how to use an AI upscaler they used it for saga frontier
Going to be on pc or Steam deck with mod for me. I think they already did it for the PS1 version on emulator.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Game looks absolutely fine. Insider info set some unrealistic expectations.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
They do? :/

qdCeomZ.png

vs AI upscale:

Vau0wSj.png

It looks like the same terrible vaseline filter that we got in FFVII/VIII/IX on modern consoles. At least it seems we're getting the option to play it looking like it's essentially run using a PS1 emulator with pixelated font, backgrounds and character models?

Honestly I'm not seeing this huge difference besides the zoom.
Yes it's not the HD feeling of AI reconstruction but it's absolutely not like the FF7-8-9 remasters, those looked seriously blurred.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
Some before and after shots.

Original
SCzIRMC.jpg

Remaster
XytgJqX.jpg

Original
wJmw1QN.jpg

Remaster
vmnfsNA.jpg

Original
AB8ncAZ.jpg

Remaster
u0wnUPI.jpg

The "originals" in these comparisons are definitely not accurate. They're already upscaled and the font isn't right. The remaster is definitely more significant than that.

EDIT: or is the purpose to show the fully upscaled original compared to remaster?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Looks great to me

I'm just happy that there will finally be a way to play this. It was never released as a PS1 Classic on the PS3 in the UK, so it's been a game I've wanted to play for years

OP
OP
Wrexis

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
The "originals" in these comparisons are definitely not accurate. They're already upscaled and the font isn't right. The remaster is definitely more significant than that.

EDIT: or is the purpose to show the fully upscaled original compared to remaster?

Those originals are directly from SE's PR website for the game.

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
There is a multitude of small issues that games from this era inherit. I would say this hits all the right checkboxes for me.

I'm genuinely happy to see both pixel font and what seems to be just the high res versions the SAME damn fonts. It's amazing how such a small thing can have such a big effect for my nostalgia. A definite win for me.

The classic and new mode is a great way to approach this too, I would play in classic I think, but I can see why people would want more tweaks than me.

It's a damn shame Squareenix doesn't seem to wanna make physical collections of these new ports.

And as one last side note. One step closer to the GOAT, Parasite Eve.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
I put off playing this game at release because it was NOT the Chrono Trigger sequel I was hoping for.
After all these years, I think I can finally attempt to see this game for what it is.

Day one.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why they didn't fix the framerate.
They can't seriously be putting it out in this state.

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe this cheap remaster on Xbox, but when a full remake would be PS5 exclusive.
Just like all the time SE treats Xbox.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It literally looks like they just ran the backgrounds through a blur filter and called it a day.
WTF, this is embarrasing!

IYxMhUx.jpg

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
Anyone else feel like the upscaled backgrounds contribute to the dream-y feel of the game? I can understand some people don't like it but for me it really adds to the charm. It looks like it was supposed to be like this to me.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
But never on playstation though no? Surely releasing both would have made sense?

Like nothing SE does makes sense to me.
Well that really has been the case with SE for awhile.

It's more likely they remake Trigger at some point ala Trials of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 3.

They have a catalogue of really strong jRPGs to go back to and they just let them rot in obscurity.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
But never on playstation though no? Surely releasing both would have made sense?

Like nothing SE does makes sense to me.
They did release Chrono Trigger on the Playstation. It was a long time ago, though. It's where the FMV's that were prevalent in the DS version came from.

It didn't run the best though, since the load times before battle and even bringing up the menu were...well horrible. :/

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
WHY can't square ever get the font right. WHY.

the original fonts in games like this and FF8 for PS1 have style and character. and since you're reading a crapton in these games, it matters.

i'm so annoyed. everything else i can live with, but the font is some ugly ass arial like garbage.

They did. You have a retro font option in this.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I'm slightly miffed this wasn't Xenogears and in fact a CC remaster and not even a remake. Are we sure that the original rumour of big PS title was the same thing here just misinformation? It seems weird that the big thing would be a remaster to me. Well I'm glad all the same but I was expecting something huge. That being said I might buy this because the improvements look nice.

natanqb

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't get why it looks so choppy - the original had an unlocked framerate, so it should be easy to make this run at 60, right?

Also, the "no encounters" thing seems kinda unnecessary considering CC has no random encounters.
For me is totally necessary, i remember fighting many fights that wish i could skip and getting bored by this.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
Radical Dreamers included? Holy shit I need this. Battles still look choppy af but whatever lol

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The press release makes it sound like it's an all or nothing option for the new text, graphics and art.
*The 3D models, illustrations, font and background filter cannot be toggled separately. They will all be switched together.

Makes it sound like there is no original music option

Low key conspiracy theory: All these remasters/releases/remakes of 90s IP were all driven by the composers who want to cash in on nostalgia. The music is always that gets the most attention😆

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Though with one very important caveat:

That's.. stupid urgh.

Like I said, if you want it on the go I think switch looks fine as is in HD.

If you want the definitive version get it on PC we are gonna make this a beauty with tweaks and reshade. From framerate, to grain, upscale etc..

Like legends of mana and ff9, awful vanilla versions that are now both amazing thanks to fans.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played this since it first came out. I beat it but I hardly remember it. Excited to play it again.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
They did release Chrono Trigger on the Playstation. It was a long time ago, though. It's where the FMV's that were prevalent in the DS version came from.

It didn't run the best though, since the load times before battle and even bringing up the menu were...well horrible. :/
Ah, I didn't know that but to be fair, I should have specified I'm from the UK so we only ever got the DS release. The original and that version never came out here.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I didn't know that but to be fair, I should have specified I'm from the UK so we only ever got the DS release. The original and that version never came out here.
Ah, that's unfortunate. :/

Thankfully you weren't missing much, the PS1 versions was a very unoptimized port. Glad you at least got the DS version!

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
So, at this point, is the PC version of Trigger good enough to play for a first timer like me?

I'd love to play Chrono Trigger in anticipation of Cross finally releasing here in the UK, but not sure I want to drop £70 on a second-hand DS version.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So, at this point, is the PC version of Trigger good enough to play for a first timer like me?

I'd love to play Chrono Trigger in anticipation of Cross finally releasing here in the UK, but not sure I want to drop £70 on a second-hand DS version.

Yes it's by far the best version of CT now.