Somniac

Banned
Oct 10, 2021
I'm not sure what they did to the backgrounds to keep them looking fantastic, but I'm glad they did! The PS1 Final Fantasy remasters always looked abhorrent. The high res models clashed horrifically hard with the untouched backgrounds and the lack of uprezzing on said backgrounds made them look disgusting on modern monitors. This is dope!!!

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
In the General Kid ending, Kid says:

"After we defeat the Kingdom of Guardia, it's time to put these Porre blokes in their place!"

But what the original Japanese meant was more like:

"Because they defeated the Kingdom of Guardia, it's time to put these Porre blokes in their place!"

(Fun fact: In the trailer included in the JP Chrono Cross demo, it was General Viper that was pronouncing this quote, and there was no indication that it was a non-canon ending or anything.)

Also, in the English version, Radius says about the Masamune:

"The once renowned Masamune... "The Holy Sword That Conquered Darkness.""

But in the original Japanese, he straight up referenced Magus from Chrono Trigger:

"The once renowned Grandleon/Masamune... ""The Holy Sword That Defeated Maoh/Magus.""'

Also the English version can be quite inconsistent about the terms it uses for the main island of El Nido and the Zenan mainland. Sometimes it's hard to know which one it refers to.
Whoah, that completely changes how I viewed that ending! :o Thanks a lot!

Jan 11, 2018
I'm very in, those up scaled backdrops look great

They do? :/

qdCeomZ.png

vs AI upscale:

Vau0wSj.png

It looks like the same terrible vaseline filter that we got in FFVII/VIII/IX on modern consoles. At least it seems we're getting the option to play it looking like it's essentially run using a PS1 emulator with pixelated font, backgrounds and character models?

OP
OP
Wrexis

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Some before and after shots.

Original
SCzIRMC.jpg

Remaster
XytgJqX.jpg

Original
wJmw1QN.jpg

Remaster
vmnfsNA.jpg

Original
AB8ncAZ.jpg

Remaster
u0wnUPI.jpg

Last edited:

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
It's a shame you can't use the new models with the old Artwork, but I'll get over it. I think the mew models look pretty good, and I can switch back to the blockier ones when Im feeling nostalgic.

Jan 11, 2018
I wish they'd let us toggle individual elements. I'd gladly take the pixelated backgrounds with new character models. Also, they need to add this option to the FF "remasters".

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Looks nicer than the ff viii and ix ports, still not amazing. But better than to be expected for such a niche title tbh and the price tag fits. Glad people will be able easily get and play this masterpiece down the road. If you haven't checked it out, give it a shot. It's even better if you adore the characters in Chrono Trigger.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
i'll buy it because i want all the content but i wish they had AI upscaling

come on man, just leave it to the SaGa team, they know how to use an AI upscaler they used it for saga frontier

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Will pick up for $5 on Steam sale in a couple of years when modders have used the AI upscaling techniques Square should have done themselves.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They do? :/

qdCeomZ.png

vs AI upscale:

Vau0wSj.png

It looks like the same terrible vaseline filter that we got in FFVII/VIII/IX on modern consoles. At least it seems we're getting the option to play it looking like it's essentially run using a PS1 emulator with pixelated font, backgrounds and character models?

Yes there are already existing AI upscales of the game backgrounds better then what SE is offering so i don't doubt this game could get a Moguri mod of it's own.

Last edited:

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They look like un-post-processes AI upscales TBH. There's little artifacting everywhere.

I think the SaGa and Legend of Mana used both upscales and some redrawing to achieve its look.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
The result is a real mixed bag... I guess I'll play with new graphics at first because I like the new portraits and want to see how this turns out.
Also the "pixel" font looks really bad? They didn't create a nice font that looks like the old one, they just upscaled the old one so it looks terrible :(

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Well, at least the remodeled characters blend well with the backgrounds. There's a sort of watercolor to it I really like. Not as good as AI upscaling, but better than crispy clear 3D models standing out from the pixelated background. Also, the new models seem to really capture the essence of the originals. I would like to see more remasters taking that remodeling route.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Just having a version on PC where we can insert the AI upscales and having amazing uprezzed fonts and shit is a dream

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh. It's pretty much what I expected. Nothing to bother with for those that already can play it via emulation. Just like what they did with FFIX; they use the smear filter to "upscale" the 2D backgrounds and it looks bad. The only improvement I can see visually might be the character models (minor), portraits and UI.

Eh I loved this game when I played it, but this looks a pretty low effort remaster.

At least you can say they are being consistent with their remasters!

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least the remodeled characters blend well with the backgrounds. There's a sort of watercolor to it I really like. Not as good as AI upscaling, but better than crispy clear 3D models standing out from the pixelated background. Also, the new models seem to really capture the essence of the originals. I would like to see more remasters taking that remodeling route.

My first impression, too. Seems like an upgrade over the PS1 FF remasters overall. Better approach to HD models, the backgrounds don't stand out quite as much as losing something in transition (perhaps because of the art direction?), more robust options (for real, I'll take those FF games wherever, but an option for OG graphics would've been fantastic).

For some reason I'm just not as sensitive to the flaws other people are noticing. Not this time. Chrono Trigger PC looked terrible to me, for example, but I'm feeling positive about this one so far.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sigh. It's pretty much what I expected. Nothing to bother with for those that already can play it via emulation. Just like what they did with FFIX; they use the smear filter to "upscale" the 2D backgrounds and it looks bad. The only improvement I can see visually might be the character models (minor), portraits and UI.

At least you can say they are being consistent with their remasters!

Agreed, consistently low effort and consistently easy for me to avoid. In a world where they are far too many reboots, I still think the Chrono games in particular could be amazing if given the right treatment. Really loved their unique art and atmosphere.