• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I don't know, he might be able to survive. You have to keep in mind that your examples are him trying new things and failing. If he were to do a show similar to the Nostalgia Critic without the name, I think he has enough of a fanbase that he'd be okay. That Guy With The Glasses successfully rebranded to Channel Awesome at the time, so I think "Nostalgia Critic" could rebrand too.
The only reason I don't see it happening is if people think it's too derivative of the NC. Like, if you're going to re-brand, why make it almost a 1:1 replica? Why not change things?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He even made them deliver their lines the same way he does. Like, he wanted them to emulate his speech patterns. How arrogant do you have to be to do that?
I think the best example of this is Phelan in To Boldly Flee, because half the time he's doing Doug's style and the other half he's in his default style of not giving a shit. And it's hilariously clear which is which.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think the best example of this is Phelan in To Boldly Flee, because half the time he's doing Doug's style and the other half he's in his default style of not giving a shit. And it's hilariously clear which is which.

In one image in the background, he looks completely dead inside.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man JewWario...

Not that I was personally attached to him but I can't imagine being someone who was and then finding that out...having lost a friend to suicide who I idolized recently makes me horrified if I ever learned something like that about them.

YT celebrities continue to be a mess.

Arkle

Mar 26, 2018
Rialto, CA
Was watching bits of MarzGurl's recent stream, and at one point she was talking about a harasser who wanted her and a few other women (like Lindsay and even Mara Wilson) to, um, burp for them or else.

Like, what.....

I remember that creep. Everything MarzGurl said about him is true. And there's more too, probably more than even she remembers. I certainly remember that time the creep threatened to murder Elisa and Paul's at-the-time newborn child.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I think Fredrick Knudsen could do a good video all about this. His Down the Rabbit Hole series is pretty good, and avoids bias.
It'd be a long video too. A lot to dissect.

According to Linkara on various Rangerboard posts, Doug's idea of comedy is that all comedy comes from suffering, and has an unhealthy obsession with slapstick.
Others tried to argue with Doug about this but he won't budge on it. One user posted a South Park scene (the one in Season 3 where Korn transforms into corn), and Linkara noted how Doug would explain that as "confusion and shattered expectations, that's the suffering". Yeah I don't get it either.

Doug actually had that in a video, though I can't remember which. I remember the line mostly because of how it's where I really became consciously aware of how much my worldview differed from his, and is where my critical interests began to diverge. He's an edgelord basically, but one who doesn't want to be seen as an edgelord, so he tries to frame his views as that of reasoned, self-evident critique.

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to catch back up after my break last night. Looks like Tamara and Malcolm are tweeting in defense of Channel Awesome still after yesterday's revelations:

Obscurus_lupa tweeted this:

I can say there was more than one Jane Doe involved, and ones we are still learning about. At least one said that she did NOT want him named in the document to protect her and other victims, and only one is enough.

MarsGurl:

There are at least two people I've spoken two who say that, if he was told the real reason why he was let go from the site, he didn't give that reason to his friends. They were told something totally different by him. Other close friends of his had no idea.

Holly on her "resigning":

yup. CA told me I was done, had me sign something that said I resigned, but as the chat log shows, that's not exactly the truth of the matter. Legally, my hands are pretty tied.

And, they're down another another 1800 people so far today with yesterday losing 3500.

That's about it, I think.

Edit: Oh, and their forums turned into hell. And their subreddit has more activity than ever, and it's people dunking on them.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Steven Universe vlogs. Fusiin Cuisine.

No, I think it was a 'Critic' video. Like, he referenced Daffy Duck, I think? I've found a vid from 2015 - 'When Does a Joke Go Too Far?' where he says 'As mentioned by myself and others, all comedy is based on some form of misery', which suggests the source is something earlier still. He really does genuinely think comedy is inherently something sadistic.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'm gonna need a full rundown of this whole thing because I feel like I missed so much. I watched the "Fallen Titans #3" youtube video last night but apparently more has happened since then?

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
No, I think it was a 'Critic' video. Like, he referenced Daffy Duck, I think? I've found a vid from 2015 - 'When Does a Joke Go Too Far?' where he says 'As mentioned by myself and others, all comedy is based on some form of misery', which suggests the source is something earlier still. He really does genuinely think comedy is inherently something sadistic.
That's... not true at all. One of my favourite types of humour is absurdist humour, and most of the jokes I tell either witty remarks or aren't jokes so much as they are absurd non-sequiturs. I really don't know how Doug knows that not all humour derives from pain.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but Tamara and Malcolm have very plainly stepped over the line between collateral and participant, whatever their motivations.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the whole "Channel Awesome" bit went too far

MM2Dylan

Apr 13, 2018
Virginia
I'm sorry, but Tamara and Malcolm have very plainly stepped over the line between collateral and participant, whatever their motivations.
Yeah, at this point, their "wait for all the information to come out, wait for another horrible CA reply" shit is irrelevant. They protected a rapist and praised his memory, knowing full well what he did, and they benefited financially from it. There is nothing anyone at CA can say to make themselves look better.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
That's... not true at all. One of my favourite types of humour is absurdist humour, and most of the jokes I tell either witty remarks or aren't jokes so much as they are absurd non-sequiturs. I really don't know how Doug knows that not all humour derives from pain.
He probably lives by the idea that Comedy=Tragedy+Time

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly? I think he just doesn't understand that there's another underlying aspect to the type of humour he grew up with and enjoyed. I'm pretty sure he has actively cited Daffy Duck as an inspiration. So when trying to explain why Daffy getting hurt all the time is so funny, he concludes: "It's because he's in pain, which must be somehow inherently entertaining." rather than "Because something that causes pain is generally unexpected, thus subverting our expectations, and it is the subversion that proves entertaining."

ZeibleH

Mar 24, 2018
Honestly? I think he just doesn't understand that there's another underlying aspect to the type of humour he grew up with and enjoyed. I'm pretty sure he has actively cited Daffy Duck as an inspiration. So when trying to explain why Daffy getting hurt all the time is so funny, he concludes: "It's because he's in pain, which must be somehow inherently entertaining." rather than "Because something that causes pain is generally unexpected, thus subverting our expectations, and it is the subversion that proves entertaining."

And also; because with Daffy, there's an element of him deserving it for his haughtiness that makes it amusing, as is his tendency to cause his own suffering. Overall it's less the suffering itself, and more the way it happens to Daffy that makes it funny.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They're done. They arrived after a lot of this shit went down and have no business commenting on it, much less acting like assholes about it.

And no, Tamara, this isn't "the most NORMAL thing ever." If the Chicago crew got paid for putting up other talents' vids then said talent should have been paid for the work they did and for driving traffic to the shitty CA website. Especially if, as we've already seen proven, they were turning profit based on other peoples' works. But, as I've said a lot now, these guys didn't have reps or lawyers and CA preyed on them as a result.

Or is this "you're getting paid for exposure" bullshit?

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
And also; because with Daffy, there's an element of him deserving it for his haughtiness that makes it amusing, as is his tendency to cause his own suffering. Overall it's less the suffering itself, and more the way it happens to Daffy that makes it funny.

Yep. While it is subversive, it also loops around into a way of making 'sense', even if only thematically. Thus a painting of a road 'becomes' a road - because it depicts a road - but it's also just a wall because hey, you saw it's just a wall. It ain't the pain, it's the logic. But Doug doesn't see that, because that doesn't fit his wider perspective of how media works, which as I've said, I think is rather... that of an edgelord.

Oct 25, 2017
They're done. They arrived after a lot of this shit went down and have no business commenting on it, much less acting like assholes about it.

And no, Tamara, this isn't "the most NORMAL thing ever." If the Chicago crew got paid for putting up other talents' vids then said talent should have been paid for the work they did and for driving traffic to the shitty CA website. Especially if, as we've already seen proven, they were turning profit based on other peoples' works. But, as I've said a lot now, these guys didn't have reps or lawyers and CA preyed on them as a result.

Or is this "you're getting paid for exposure" bullshit?
They weren't even consistent in payment. Some got paid in the blip days for videos hosted, others didn't (MarzGurl).

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
...I gotta say..

For once, a hashtag movement actually caused major damage. Channel Awesome will probably never fully recover from this.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Which is why he writes all of his characters as assholes (even if it's out of character during crossovers), as he doesn't know any form of comedy that doesn't involve suffering, so the person has to deserve it (which is probably why I hated the Nostalgia Chick, as I only knew her from crossovers and he always wrote her as the most abrasive character in all the crossovers for some reason).

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which is why he writes all of his characters as assholes (even if it's out of character during crossovers), as he doesn't know any form of comedy that doesn't involve suffering, so the person has to deserve it (which is probably why I hated the Nostalgia Chick, as I only knew her from crossovers and he always wrote her as the most abrasive character in all the crossovers for some reason).
For some reason

Oct 26, 2017

Yep. I'm getting secondhand embarassment from reading their tweets.

Brad might have left(?) So I'm giving him a pass for now.

The Channel Awesome website has been abandoned at the moment so who knows what is happening.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
They uploaded the rest of the crossovers sith Doug of that guy that left

They got rid of the dead sections. Moved the archived shows. And they haven't removed gaming wildlife despite confirmed leaving

De Amigo

Dec 19, 2017
So the twitter person accusing Dan of covering for Wario made a "logging of twitter for the weekend" post like immediately after making the accusations.

Really makes it seems true that way lmao.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The 10th anniversary crossover is gonna star Doug, Rob, Doug, Malcom, Doug, Tamara, Doug, Michaud, Doug, Gaming Wildlife's absence, and Doug. I think that's everybody still on the site?

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
There are times where I kind of want to know just where his sense of humor comes from, because a lot of what he seems to think is really funny just makes me cringe.

Doug firmly believes that comedy/humor requires misery. He brings this up a lot and that seems to be the extent of his understanding about humor. This actually explains a lot, doesn't it?
Alternate source: http://channelawesome.com/nostalgia-critic-when-does-a-joke-go-too-far/

Edit: I somehow missed a whole page already explaining this, sorry for the repeat.

Last edited:

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Doug firmly believes that comedy/humor requires misery. He brings this up a lot and that seems to be the extent of his understanding about humor. This actually explains a lot, doesn't it?
Alternate source: http://channelawesome.com/nostalgia-critic-when-does-a-joke-go-too-far/

Which, i mean, it'd be one thing if he were to have just said his preferred form of comedy is one from misery, but he always capped it off with "Everyone knows comedy from misery."

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Jewario's 999 review was what got me into that game and VNs in general and his many other import videos were amazing. Sucks to hear about these things about him. His death actually shocked me so I would rather remember the good things about him. He's dead already so I'm just gonna move on.

SuperBlur

Apr 10, 2018
Let's analyze the suffering in Melvin: Brother of the Joker

Well, let's begin with the title: why Melvin of all names? You would think that if Joker ever had a brother, he would have a fitting name for a supervillain, like Jester, or The Comedian, but since obviously all comedy is founded on suffering, the character for a bad guy has a drab name because the character itself is a woeful man who's just trying to get out of his brother's shadow, still lives with his mom (that's costantly nagging him because isn't comedy based on misery?) and it's overall unhappy with his life. Playing with the concept of how a famous villain's brother will live his life it's certainly beneath Doug, and any form of humour that doesn't derive of some sort of pain is inherently inferior, so he just took the laz-I mean, ingenious route.

Overall the plot of the first (and only, for reasons unknown) episode is Melvin trying to come up with something that would make him look treathening to the world (more specifically, a raygun, because superhero cliches, amirite fellas?) only for him to fail to conjure anything substantial and it concludes with him promising to redeem himself in the future and grabbing a bat in order to beat up his annoying mom (again, this is the superior form of comedy, demonstrated with him feeding her sleeping pills to try to shut her up unsuccesfully).

In conclusion, this is not a pilot for a series that couldn't possibly have the means to go on for more than three episodes at best. It's a thesis on why all of comedy is based on suffering. The theme song, the setting, the filming, the dialogue, the character's personality, it's all trying to convey to the viewer the idea of torment and affliction (succeding quite well at it), which proves once again that Doug is the king of comedy and movie analysis. Take that, Lindsay, or should I... NOSTALGIA CHICK?