• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kurona

Apr 12, 2018
Fair enough, though I think a lot of Doug's critics get too hyperbolic with how "terrible" his work is.

The controversy on the other hand... yeah. I've never been so disappointed in someone I once looked up to.
I can certainly understand that. I think as mentioned before there is a certain thing people do in situations like this where they try to make out the person's work as really bad if they turn out to be awful people -- it's really difficult to be able to recognise both that someone was a terrible person, and that they may have created something of worth.
That said, in hindsight; I feel Doug's work was very amateur and pedestrian. I continued to enjoy him for so long because I was more or less a casual viewer that found him funny - coloured by my own nostalgia as it may have been - but it was hard to do that when he felt the need to chime in on topical subjects with an equally amateur and pedestrian viewpoint. The Ghostbusters review especially was hard to get through. And as said a lot of times in this thread and the previous, he simply doesn't have any actual experience or knowledge of filmmaking hence making his actual analysis sections based on his raw emotional feeling without an actual academic framework to back it up. Hence it's, uh, not very good.

Ventilation Stick

Alt account
Banned
Apr 2, 2018
He's part of upper management; he was the deciding vote in kicking out Holly.

He also wasn't just incompetent with the anniversary movies, he was downright negligent.

Oh, and as part of upper management he apparently knew the deal with JewWario.

Dude's done plenty besides be unfunny.

A lot if these are assumptions. Many said Doug wasn't very communicative outside a few people, now he suddenly has and we now know he never tried to do anything?

I think Doug is getting a bit of unnecessary heat.

But anyway some video is coming soon

Ventilation Stick

Alt account
Banned
Apr 2, 2018
There was... I'd have to look at the doc to remember who it was and the circumstance, but someone who pointed out that Doug was the final vote in getting them fired.

Also, since we've now been told that he's a co-owner of The Nostalgia Critic as a character, it's harder to excuse him as an innocent diva who had no awareness or control over the goings-on around him.

Nc not ca.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

The narrative that I saw was that Doug had made the boneheaded decision to give Michaud the character, and since Doug evidently does not have the talent to succeed without the character, he was stuck being controlled by Michaud. The response that CA gives us tells us that there are multiple owners of the character; the original narrative used to suggest that he was innocent wasn't true.

A lot if these are assumptions. Many said Doug wasn't very communicative outside a few people, now he suddenly has and we now know he never tried to do anything?

Wasn't Michaud also accused of being extremely hard to get in contact with and secretive, to the point that some people had no idea what he actually did?

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

I think Doug is getting a bit of unnecessary heat.

But anyway some video is coming soon

He WAS the deciding vote, Rob said as much when he said he was outvoted and "backed into a corner". He would have mentioned if his own brother stood by him, and Holly knows enough to say it was Doug.

Stuff like not having food or water, injuring an actor and forcing them to sign a contract waiving liability under your watch, and leaving someone taped to a wall until they were light-headed (which as outlined earlier in this thread is very dangerous, especially letting them lie down afterwards) all sound like negligent behavior to me.

Rob is Doug's brother and Michaud is his best friend, they're upper management. If they knew about JewWario and Doug still went ahead and memorialized the guy then that's genuinely awful.

Ventilation Stick

Alt account
Banned
Apr 2, 2018
The narrative that I saw was that Doug had made the boneheaded decision to give Michaud the character, and since Doug evidently does not have the talent to succeed without the character, he was stuck being controlled by Michaud. The response that CA gives us tells us that Doug is one of the owners of the character.

Wasn't Michaud also accused of being extremely hard to get in contact with and secretive, to the point that some people had no idea what he actually did?

Yes bc not ca. You assume because he owns part of NC he knew everything that was happening despite the document even proving otherwise.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Try not to phrase suicide deaths as "taking the easy way out"
He's dead already so I'm just gonna move on.

That's because he took the easy way out and killed himself thus avoiding facing the music for what he did whereas his victims will have to live what he did to them for the rest of their life.

Hooooooo boy. That was an experience.

Yeah that was fun watching the site go up in flame.

Mod edit: Please don't use the edit function to remove context from a warning/ban.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 29, 2018
I can certainly understand that. I think as mentioned before there is a certain thing people do in situations like this where they try to make out the person's work as really bad if they turn out to be awful people -- it's really difficult to be able to recognise both that someone was a terrible person, and that they may have created something of worth.
That said, in hindsight; I feel Doug's work was very amateur and pedestrian. I continued to enjoy him for so long because I was more or less a casual viewer that found him funny - coloured by my own nostalgia as it may have been - but it was hard to do that when he felt the need to chime in on topical subjects with an equally amateur and pedestrian viewpoint. The Ghostbusters review especially was hard to get through. And as said a lot of times in this thread and the previous, he simply doesn't have any actual experience or knowledge of filmmaking hence making his actual analysis sections based on his raw emotional feeling without an actual academic framework to back it up. Hence it's, uh, not very good.

I think he's pedestrian if you compare him to Siskel and Ebert, but he's perceptive enough to understand why he likes or doesn't like something and articulate enough to convey his viewpoint. He makes LOTS of mistakes, and I don't agree with him all of the time, but I think if you look at his non-Nostalgia Critic content you can get a lot out of his opinions.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I think he's pedestrian if you compare him to Siskel and Ebert, but he's perceptive enough to understand why he likes or doesn't like something and articulate enough to convey his viewpoint. He makes LOTS of mistakes, and I don't agree with him all of the time, but I think if you look at his non-Nostalgia Critic content you can get a lot out of his opinions.

He doesn't have the technical know-how to properly articulate his points beyond his personal preferences (which he frames as end-all theories in and of themselves, like with "comedy is based on suffering", which is staggeringly egotistical). As mentioned by Lindsay, Dan, and Ed (who worked as a cameraman on Suburban Knights) Doug has an anti-intellectual streak when it comes to his work, where knowing proper technique and theory is seen as snobbish or elitist and his amateur hour shenanigans are framed as more "authentic" or "personal" or some other such bs.

Dude didn't know how to record commentaries outside of speaking into the on-board mic of his camera, even after Phelan showed him how.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, let's begin with the title: why Melvin of all names? You would think that if Joker ever had a brother, he would have a fitting name for a supervillain, like Jester, or The Comedian, but since obviously all comedy is founded on suffering, the character for a bad guy has a drab name because the character itself is a woeful man who's just trying to get out of his brother's shadow, still lives with his mom (that's costantly nagging him because isn't comedy based on misery?) and it's overall unhappy with his life. Playing with the concept of how a famous villain's brother will live his life it's certainly beneath Doug, and any form of humour that doesn't derive of some sort of pain is inherently inferior, so he just took the laz-I mean, ingenious route.

Overall the plot of the first (and only, for reasons unknown) episode is Melvin trying to come up with something that would make him look treathening to the world (more specifically, a raygun, because superhero cliches, amirite fellas?) only for him to fail to conjure anything substantial and it concludes with him promising to redeem himself in the future and grabbing a bat in order to beat up his annoying mom (again, this is the superior form of comedy, demonstrated with him feeding her sleeping pills to try to shut her up unsuccesfully).

In conclusion, this is not a pilot for a series that couldn't possibly have the means to go on for more than three episodes at best. It's a thesis on why all of comedy is based on suffering. The theme song, the setting, the filming, the dialogue, the character's personality, it's all trying to convey to the viewer the idea of torment and affliction (succeding quite well at it), which proves once again that Doug is the king of comedy and movie analysis. Take that, Lindsay, or should I... NOSTALGIA CHICK?
lmao did you watch the whole thing?

If so, I am the comedy master for making you suffer through it. Call me the Blockbuster Buster Critic.

Kurona

Apr 12, 2018
That's because he took the easy way out and killed himself thus avoiding facing the music for what he did whereas his victims will have to live what he did to them for the rest of their life.
Let's... please not do that. What he did is unforgivable and beyond words, but framing suicide like that is just wrong. We can very, very easily talk about how disgusting his actions were without trying to make the decision to take his life a part of it.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
So is there a list of current (erm, former now I guess) and former CA producers websites/YT channels? I'd like to still follow and support these guys post CA.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's... please not do that. What he did is unforgivable and beyond words, but framing suicide like that is just wrong. We can very, very easily talk about how disgusting his actions were without trying to make the decision to take his life a part of it.

Agreed. Calling suicide an "easy way out" or "cowardly" is not something we need to be doing. It's a stigma that still follows the word and doesn't help anyone.

Oct 25, 2017

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

Agreed. Calling suicide an "easy way out" or "cowardly" is not something we need to be doing. It's a stigma that still follows the word and doesn't help anyone.
Yeah definitely let's not do that

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. This is the live status of the channel subscribers. As you can see, it's been going down for the last hour, but that major change started as soon as the down the rabbit hole guy started his stream.

VepqjYv.png

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i think I've seen two Down the Rabbit Hole videos, both were pretty neutral generally, usually its just the facts of the matter

a lot of channels are trying to break into this kind of youtube video style these days, just like the rise of the video essayist

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Y'know, after thinking about it, I have a deeper respect for the AVGN. James actually made it like a film.

Oct 25, 2017
Its boring honestly. It's basically if you talked out a text explanation.
Yeah, for us following there's nothing new we don't know.

Edit: I guess I did just learn something. The thing about the ownership of Nostalgia Critic was done in 2016 via trademark to the company. Prior to that? *shrug*

Edit: The guy kind of missed the mark on the Lindsay stuff.

Last edited:

DarthAzathoth

Apr 12, 2018

Edit: I guess I did just learn something. The thing about the ownership of Nostalgia Critic was done in 2016 via trademark to the company. Prior to that? *shrug*

So there is the possibility that prior to 2016, Doug was a key decision maker? Shit that makes the trademark deal look like them trying to cover Doug's ass just in case.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

Edit: The guy kind of missed the mark on the Lindsay stuff.

Basically just restating events without any worthwhile commentary but missing the mark on something like that lines up with the Spoony video, so I'm not really surprised.

Good that his stream increased the subscriber drop but I do feel weird about the people involved promoting his stream.

ZeibleH

Mar 24, 2018
Ok, so he's interviewing Liz...that does not necessarily reflect well on him, given her politics. Also, it's REALLY weird that she refers to herself as a "Post-op Male to Female Transsexual".

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I worded that very poorly and unfairly stigmatized people who have suicidal thoughts as "coward", which wasn't my intention as that is not how I feel and I deeply apologise if I have offended anyone.

Bottom line what I was trying to get across was that because his crime was cover up by the Walker brothers Jewario pretty much got away with it at the expense of the victim.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ignorant what exactly is weird

Not sure I'm 1:1 with what ZeibleH's (EDIT: posted before seeing her own response, to be clear) thinking here, but personally that terminology isn't very common anymore (in US/English communities, at least). "Transsexual" isn't something I see much unless the person's using it is a somewhat older trans person with an attachment to the term (with a few exceptions), and usually you see "transgender" instead intentionally without any qualification for surgery. Similarly I feel like "MtF" is less common these days though I'd say not as surprising to see, I guess.

This is just labels she's using to define herself so it's not like it's wrong or bad or anything, necessarily, just a little jarring. Given that she's a Trump supporter I guess there's the possibility of those specific terms being a thing about being a "real"/"good" trans person who got surgery, etc. but it could also just be the terms she likes.

Last edited:

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The news about JewWario still hits me.... I wish I could go back to when he was doing his "you're not stupid" and expose him right there for what he did.... how could he. Acts like nice Mr. Rogers and does horrible things like that....

ZeibleH

Mar 24, 2018
This is just labels she's using to define herself so it's not like it's wrong or bad or anything, necessarily, just a little jarring. Given that she's a Trump supporter I guess there's the possibility of those speciric terms being a thing about being a "real"/"good" trans person who got surgery, etc. but it could also just be the terms she likes.

Right, coming from a trans woman there's absolutely nothing wrong with it- it's just weird. This, and some comments she made about HRT and surgery being a bad idea are very odd, is what I'm getting at.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, that's a little fucked? I feel like at the very least, out of respect to the victim(s), he should very much be judged by this. This is how he LIVED, even if the news came out after his death.

And yeah, we aren't going to get justice for it. For all intents and purposes, it's done and closure for those involved is probably incredibly difficult. I don't think people like him deserve to be remembered in any positive light.

Things are more important than the content he produced and the self he portrayed to the public. I'm not expecting a discussion of this, and you're free to do what you want, just irked me a little.

Oh, I'm not saying he shouldn't be judged for what he did. He was scum and the victims have a right to tell their stories. Just wanted to share what I thought of him before the revelations. Sorry if it came off as being anything else.

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
Has Jake talked about his stuff yet? JO was my favorite person on the city (digimon reviews were so great) and I will eternally hate whoever messed with him.
Jake has expressed on Twitter that he considers that he has moved on from it and has no wish of posting about it. That said a video that Holly retweeted and was posted many pages back talking about the JewWario stuff made a point that stuck whit me. That in cases of abuse like this there is never just one victim, even in the case of JewWario what was initially known as just one case became at leas two completely different and unrelated victims. So there is still the possibility that if this person that Jake says harassed him has other victims that now may fell like this could be the time to come out.
Fot the time being the best course of action is not to bother Jake about it, is he doesn't want to talk about it he is within his rights to not do so.