InPlosion

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
User banned (permanent): Inflammatory whataboutism in a sensitive thread
Yeah they are, since they come from Poland, a mostly far right country. I mean, is that much of a surprise?
Companies reflect the values of the communities and, in larger part, the countries they are from.

The same can be applied to Foxconn regarding labor rights. (Or any american company nowadays, for that matter. Case in point, Activision Blizzard).

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so conflicted on this - on one hand I feel like I shouldn't support them. But at the same time I remember that there's probably hundreds of employees working for them who are decent people just trying to make a living in the career they've dreamed about working in since they were a kid.

This argument REEKS of you looking for any reason to give this shit a pass. These developers will have already been paid for their work, and besides that they are willing employees of a company that does not shirk from publically espousing their disgusting beliefs from the highest levels. I have no sympathies for any who participate in the manufacturing of this product, hate requires willing cogs to enable it.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
CDPR know exactly what they're doing and who they're marketing to. They haven't deserved the benefit of the doubt in a long time.

On a side note, I'm not trans but I feel better informed about trans issues and equipped to challenge transphobia in those around me IRL thanks to your posts in this forum Kyuuji. I just want to say thank you for your tireless efforts. I wouldn't blame you if you ever feel like you're screaming into the void but you are making a difference.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of true but if the company closes up they're out of a job, so boycotting a company can definitely have an affect on all the employees of said company. It's just a bad situation all around.
Well gee, I sure hope you buy every single video game ever made. Wouldn't want any studios to close, would you?

Why is it that this fucking bullshit only comes up when the reason people are cirtical of a game is stuff like racism, homophobia, and transphobia?

Oct 29, 2017
Thank you for this OP. And thanks to those who were and continue to be persistent in highlighting these issues in other threads. It is clear that Cyberpunk 2077 is not the Cyberpunk game I was looking forward to all those years ago.

May 26, 2018
Who will have already been paid for their work. Buying the game does not support the hardworking people who made the game, it lines the pockets of the people in charge who are trash.

Not only that, but here you are needing to reply to someone using this argument for this game, but not for a game that's creatively or technically unappealing to them.

You certainly don't hear the poor devs argument regarding a random sudoku game that gets skipped over by tens of millions of potential customers. But a game with big social problems that they want to play? Suddenly the hopes and dreams of people they'd likely never consider become relevant, and must themselves become a reluctant advocate for.

I really wish people would consider the problems with this argument more thoroughly before using it because the very train of thought is enabling.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Terrific op. Shed light on the issues and how we can help as being an ally. Just as the person I am, I always try to give the benefit of a doubt, but CDPR, as you have stated, has clearly shown that they no longer deserve it. My knowledge of trans issues is admittedly poor. Thank you for taking the time in laying this out.

So many places I could have quoted, so I will just use the last one I copied: "If you aren't willing to be critical of a company you like while enjoying their product, at the expense of trans voices, then – insofar as I'm concerned – you can't consider yourself a trans ally. If that stings, it should, because it means that you're aware that you allow your excitement of a game prevent you from supporting the communities it takes advantage of."

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
They will be rewarded with record breaking sales, 10/10s everywhere, showered with GOTY awards, capped off with going onstage at The Game Awards giving a speech about how awesome the gaming community is as gamers clap and rejoice.

Depressing.
I wanted to make a thread about this last night, but got side tracked. It really is depressing how fast everyone gets amnesia once a game goes gold, releases, and wins awards.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The fact this company continues to allow such actions and situations to happen under their watch says all we need to know. They support transphobia, you cannot see all of the evidence on show and deny this.

The country they are from has huge issues with transphobia and anti-LGBTQ sentiment, and their constant dismal, downplaying, and repeat behaviour in place of acrual apology and assertive action shows that they are okay with these things and will only speak up as half-hearted damage control for PR optics.

Thank you Kyuuji and everyone else who has helped inspire and promote this message across Era. Too many people will dismiss this, we can't fo much about people unwilling to listen, I just hope that those who can be reached by this will be and that enough people speak up that, at the very least, this conversation becomes a main talking point about the game.

If you are planning on playing this game, please... at the very least, consider everything in this thread, listen to the affected voices, try to understand the impact situations like this have on real lives and how dismal of this leads to policies, systemic issues, and actual harm to people who are just trying to exist.

This conversation can happen while you enjoy your video game, and if you are not affected your voice can matter too. Please use it.

Chrisahc

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
It is reasonable to assume that the dystopian future depicted in Cyberpunk would almost certainly involve the erosion of progressive values and in particular trans rights. CDPR are blurring the lines between fact and fiction far too much.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Plus, I'll be amazed if this doesn't end up on Gamepass or PS plus at some point. If you're that desperate to play it, might as well do it when someone else has compromised their morals on your behalf.
Or just buy used if you don't want to give money to them. Works at least on consoles.

Seriously I don't get why they have to double down on their Twitter shit. It's the third time or what? This has to be deliberately at this point.
I mean I get why they crunch like many other companies do, it's obvious. But those Twitter posts seem so unnecessary.

May 26, 2018
Or just buy used if you don't want to give money to them. Works at least on consoles.

Seriously I don't get why they have to double down on their Twitter shit. It's the third time or what? This has to be deliberately at this point.
I mean I get why they crunch like many other companies do, it's obvious. But those Twitter posts seem so unnecessary.

They double down because, in all likelihood, they thrive on it. Anyone with a hint of empathy wouldn't act this way.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being cis I shamefully admit a lot of the nuance just breezes past me when it happens without me realising it's a problem. Thank you for taking the time to explain the detail, OP.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
Well gee, I sure hope you buy every single video game ever made. Wouldn't want any studios to close, would you?

Why is it that this fucking bullshit only comes up when the reason people are cirtical of a game is stuff like racism, homophobia, and transphobia?

To be clear, I've never bought a CDPR game ever. I thought Cyberpunk looked great and wanted to buy it. This shit the company has done is making me think twice about that. I'd be upset and mentioning this stuff if any game I had been following turned out to be run by racists, homophobes, etc.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I really appreciate that this thread exists. I was very interested in this game when it was initially announced, but after seeing CDPR's behavior from then to now, I can't really support them anymore.

If reviews of the game are good, I may purchase the game when it drops down to a really cheap price. And at the same time, I will donate to a good charity that fights for transgender rights. Can someone recommend a good charity to donate to? I'd even donate today.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
I already have a conflicted conscience over buying games like Persona 5. No way I can personally justify buying a future game from an overtly transphobic company like CDPR. Same reason why I will never buy any future Harry Potter property.

It's sort of funny because I was intending to start up The Witcher 3 one day. That's not going to happen now (not because of this thread. Made the decision before)

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so conflicted on this - on one hand I feel like I shouldn't support them. But at the same time I remember that there's probably hundreds of employees working for them who are decent people just trying to make a living in the career they've dreamed about working in since they were a kid.

The developers already got paid.

you not buying the end result isn't going to put them on the street

pray_bentos

Nov 13, 2017
The issue is that boycotting won't work as this is probably the biggest release of the rest of the year and enough people are just ignorant of the issue or just simply don't see it because all they see is a shiny new game to play - the problem needs to be addressed at a higher level and the world is so fucked just now it's unlikely to happen. I hate to be so pessimistic but shit is so bad this year.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Yeah I can't play this game after all this nonsense. Damn shame too I was looking forward to it at one point

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
it's amazing that this place allows loads of hype threads where people can just bury their heads in the sand regarding all these issues, funny how you'll pretty much never see those people post in threads like this one highlighting how awful their precious company is.

Do you know what would be nice? For people to show just a little empathy but I guess that's too much to ask for. I know there are people, mainly in this thread who genuinely care but honestly, the vast majority of people here overall just don't give a shit.

You're so inspiring Kyuuji you put so much effort here, too much in fact. Thank you so much.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
The issue is that boycotting won't work as this is probably the biggest release of the rest of the year and enough people are just ignorant of the issue or just simply don't see it because all they see is a shiny new game to play - the problem needs to be addressed at a higher level and the world is so fucked just now it's unlikely to happen. I hate to be so pessimistic but shit is so bad this year.
Eh, I'm still not buying it. If other people are fine with supporting this garbage company, then that's on them.

At this point, it would be nice to see some support from the staff, and the members of this community at least.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Again, thank you Kyuuji for compiling all of this into one easy to read thread and for championing a very important topic for as long as you have. Please keep it up.

3 years ago, I was excited about CP2077. I really was. As more and more information came out about the game, the less and less excited I got, especially as it related to current world events. The social media aspect is what soured me the most; it read as completely tone deaf and quite disgusting in its delivery.

The continuing erasure of trans people is not something that should be brushed under the rug. CDPR, in it's actions, are not only trying to erase people, but they are pointing and laughing while doing so.

I will not be joining them. I am not purchasing this game based completely around their actions towards trans people and their inability to not crunch people to burnout. CDPR is a disgusting company and I will no longer support their efforts.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't give them a free pass. Won't be playing or buying the game and I don't feel like it's a big deal to miss out on it either. People that excuse shitty behavior just so they can feel better about liking/buying/fanjizzing over something need to be honest with themselves.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I think part of the difference between this and, say, the ethics of buying electronics assembled by slave labor is that, while the latter is a very serious issue that needs addressed, the client experience is separate from the atrocities of its production. Cyberpunk 2077, meanwhile, contains the issues, it embodies the bigotry, and the experience is inextricable from the hate. One cannot simply say that they're excited for it or like the game without being excited for its content.

Plus, I almost envy people for whom skipping a game is a great dilemma. When I have reason to not play a game, whether serious like this or less so like technical faults, I'm relieved at the time and money spent. There are a ton of video games, and I don't have enough time in my life for all of them. Why play something with regressive content permeated throughout?

Anyway, I have no place in this thread as hetcis male scum, but I feel that the inextricable nature of the game and its problems is being overlooked by some and wanted to vent some thoughts

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Thanks Kyuuji for putting it all down. I'm glad to have read it and this ensuing discussion so that I can be more discerning, especially if I do end up playing the game. I already have other doubts about it with regards to the themes of the game, so it is good to have articulation on the points here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Nice to have everything laid out in the open with an OP like that!

They really are doing the more insidious option of quietly dogwhistling for the most part, occasionally showing true colors with things like the cosplay.

Kinda feel for the LGBT devs who do work there, can't be a positive work environment when your superiors are happy to appeal to people who hate you. (Also that isn't me saying "you should support it because of them", that's a weak argument)

Deleted member 13077

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I'm still not buying it. If other people are fine with supporting this garbage company, then that's on them.

At this point, it would be nice to see some support from the staff, and the members of this community at least.

To be honest, this has already got a far more positive reaction than I'd have expected a month ago when it was very obvious that a number of people in the HL threads were purely there to masquerade as a trans ally, with no intention of following through when it affected something they wanted to play.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Anyway, I have no place in this thread as hetcis male scum, but I feel that the inextricable nature of the game and its problems is being overlooked by some and wanted to vent some thoughts
Please don't say this, without allies the plight of trans people would be overlooked even more.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Great thread OP.

It's not just one or two signs of ignorance, they've actively marketed the transphobia. The whole 'it's meant to show how bad the corporations are in-game' excuse falls apart the minute you think critically about it, and it is disappointing that its been repeated on this forum in the past.

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
Great write-up.

I'll admit when you're not directly concerned some of the finer details might be harder to understand or to grasp, it is always nice to have someone take the time to explain things to people willing to learn more about those issues in a more laid back, well thought-out manner than when threads about a specific incident or issue pop-up where everything gets obscured by the heat of the moment.

Really feel like we need more threads like this on some reccuring issues from time to time to be able to have a healthier conversation about things rather than being overly reactionary when some news or drama drops.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
qssvswupu7j41.png

Fuck CDPR.

I'm concerned reviewers will turn a blind eye to a lot of this.
Concerned? It's a bloody given. Watch them and all the other gamers as on command shove their faces deep up that ass for that vibeo games.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for this OP, this is excellent.

This is an honest to god genuine question. My vision isn't the best - can someone tell me the issue with the Watson Whore image? I feel like I see a trans character here, but I can't really see the image clearly enough on my end. I just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny that only troll accounts come in here, but never the main accounts from these people. I guess that says everything we need to know about them.

Anyway, Kyuuji nailed the OP. I will only give CDPR the benefit of the doubt if they openly admit that all these episodes are transphobic. Currently, though, I see no chance whatsoever of this happening.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Do you know what would be nice? For people to show just a little empathy but I guess that's too much to ask for. I know there are people, mainly in this thread who genuinely care but honestly, the vast majority of people here overall just don't give a shit.

nah its more important for CDPR stans to get in and post "DAY ONE!!!!!!" in threads like this.
tenor.gif

Amazing thread Kyuuji, I'm sad you even had to make it. I'm glad you elaborated on the chromanticore drink as the naming completely flew past me back when it appeared. Also didn't realise they used them for real life drinks, and going as far as calling them poison - disgusting.

anyway I have no hope of them ever being held to standard on this forum, JK Rowling and her terfy ways are still validated with that hogwarts game, and she doesn't even bloody try to hide her transphobia. :/ so disappointing.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Nice list and good OP, but might be fair to list examples of pro-trans stuff from CDPR and its employees (like the Quest Director saying "Trans rights are human rights" on twitter, and such). Maybe it'd count as making excuses, idk.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Please don't say this, without allies the plight of trans people would be overlooked even more.
lol I'm not an ally I'm just some idiot on the internet

I know nothing compared to the actual people affected in this thread, and me saying "but the game itself is bad" doesn't have any real value. My only hope is that at least one of my fellow chuds reads it before they post and thinks "oh yeah, maybe I shouldn't bring up capitalism"

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017

This is an honest to god genuine question. My vision isn't the best - can someone tell me the issue with the Watson Whore image? I feel like I see a trans character here, but I can't really see the image clearly enough on my end. I just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly.

the lady in the picture has visible bulging testicles

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
Kyuuji put together a wonderful summary on the issues that I've only read about in scattered fashion. I appreciate the time taken to put it all together.

I'm just one random, but I finally canceled my preorder on the game and I've shared this thread with friends not on Era. Trying to help make others informed of the issues and let them come to their own decision on purchasing based on the incidents clearly laid out in the OP.

Deleted member 13077

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice list and good OP, but might be fair to list examples of pro-trans stuff from CDPR and its employees (like the Quest Director saying "Trans rights are human rights" on twitter, and such). Maybe it'd count as making excuses, idk.

Yeah, it doesn't make any of the other stuff they've done any better at all, and would only give trolls more ammunition.

Unless it's a company wide change, it's utterly meaningless.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I just toggled the hidden content on the main page and saw that people are still posting in hype threads even with this on the front page.
I know the mods want us to not "shame" people still excited for the game but jesus I am judging every one of them right now. Is it possible to ignore every single person in a thread lol

Would still be nice to actually hear from the staff about this issue, especially the both sides rhetoric they seem to be employing when it comes to discussing this issue.

bigbusiness

Lead Editor @ The Punished Backlog
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
United States
Well said, OP. Thank you so much for this post.

Everything about this game, from the marketing materials, to the in-game content, to labor conditions... It's just oxymoronic that a game supposedly about fighting against an uber-capitalist state is being created by one of the biggest game publishers in the industry.

I also appreciate the kindness within your preamble, though this is something I'll admit I continue to struggle with. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in the game (though if it reviews poorly, that'd help). In 100% agreement that it's important to stay vocal about these issues, but is that enough for allies? Is buying used the move, and if we want to support the devs, we can do so individually (by buying their art or supporting solo projects, for instance)?

It hurts my head -- and heart -- to think about. But again, thank you for challenging us to doubt.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

The character is wearing high heels and leaning over a toilet and you can see pretty clearly defined genitalia, like they're the focal point. Like the Chromanticore ad it's basically going "LOOK! ISN'T THIS WEIRD?"

The GTA: Night City comparisons are pretty apt the more I see of the game, honestly. It's just about as crass.