Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
A few months ago didn't a performer make some buzz when he told his audience "If you're not black don't say it." Seems pretty straight forward and simple to me.

Like the one extreme over the top exception I can think of that you are an actor in a movie written and directed by a black individual and the script requires you to say.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what the hilarious part is, every single black artist and actor could stop saying the word completely in all forms of media. Every single black person in the world could stop saying it completely.

Yet white people and other ethnic groups will still say it.

Why? Because the "X artist says it in his song" is just an excuse.
Fuck me...

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A few months ago didn't a performer make some buzz when he told his audience "If you're not black don't say it." Seems pretty straight forward and simple to me.

Like the one extreme over the top exception I can think of that you are an actor in a movie written and directed by a black individual and the script requires you to say.

Well isn't that the duality of that shit? More than half of the audience is going to be constantly one group. On tours, at events, at big festivals; like the biggest consumers are increasingly non-black. So it's really a self fulling prophecy, unless every single act. Says the same thing.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Get the hell out of here. I was responding to a post that is talking about word exclusivity. You can talk about ideals and what people should do but that's not how language works. If people hear a word they will fucking repeat it, especially if it's in a catchy song. We can talk about not using words and what people should do but we don't live in that world. Both of you don't live in reality if you think you can police what other people say or expect them to police themselves. People don't care that much at the end of the day.

Im not trying to police anything. They can repeat it. It's not against the law. Nobody is going to throw them in jail for saying it. If a white person wants to use that word, because they heard it in a song or because their black friends say it, go right ahead. If it means that much to you, by all means say it. But don't expect to say it free from any consequence or backlash from people who understand the hateful history of the word. Don't expect all of society to just acquiesce to your desire to use that word. And if you are ignorant to the baggage of the word, expect to be educated on its history by someone who takes exception to you saying it. Because THAT is how the world actually works.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Im not trying to police anything. They can repeat it. It's not against the law. Nobody is going to throw them in jail for saying it. If a white person wants to use that word, because they heard it in a song or because their black friends say it, go right ahead. If it means that much to you, by all means say it. But don't expect to say it free from any consequence or backlash from people who understand the hateful history of the word. Don't expect all of society to just acquiesce to your desire to use that word. And if you are ignorant to the baggage of the word, expect to be educated on its history by someone who takes exception to you saying it. Because THAT is how the world actually works.

And I never said that there wouldn't be consequences for using the word so...

Fierro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
when 6ix9ine was saying on the breakfast club and no one checked him, what does that say. CTG did check him when he said boy though.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
The fact of the matter is no matter what anybody says, or what arbitrary and contradictory rules people try to place on the word it has entered the common lexicon. I almost wonder if (especially with younger people) the meaning of the word is so far removed from it's original intentions that most people using it don't even consider it's abhorrent historical and cultural implications.

I wouldn't know about America, but my impression is quite bad. It's been what like 50 years since blacks got "equal rights". Ridiculous. Most progressive country my ass lol! Especially with recent politics, people have shown their true face.

Anyway here in Europe, I feel like at least UK/Netherlands are quite multicultural. We all grow up together, and play together. We are all dutch, but we also all have different ethnicities.

Oh yeh so about the N word. I have got a lot of British friends, and it's just part of the vocabulary. Some are black, some are Asian but all say it and don't mind it. It's never used in an offensive way, it just gets used. For example : ma boiii (but with the n word) .

But I guess the words is exclusive ,and offensive to African Americans mainly. And keeping that in mind, I do apologise if anyone minds it. I do not mean to hurt. I wouldn't say it to a black American knowing it would be offensive. But between us European-blacks and Asians it doesn't hold much value.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
when 6ix9ine was saying on the breakfast club and no one checked him, what does that say. CTG did check him when he said boy though.

Black folks aren't a monolith. Plenty of folks here have explained our thoughts on the usage of the word. Everyone may not check someone whom isn't black. But that sure as hell doesn't mean they won't be elsewhere

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black folks aren't a monolith. Plenty of folks here have explained our thoughts on the usage of the word. Everyone may not check someone whom isn't black. But that sure as hell doesn't mean they won't be elsewhere

And (fuck him) Six is from NY and comes from a particular area code. Where it's the norm from the jump. Even though the dudes a clown, so he needs to be check more...

Deleted member 15848

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Blacks and latinos in NYC say the word freely with each other, that's just how it is around these parts.

I've never seen a black person call someone out on it either.

OceanBreeze

Banned
May 7, 2018
If you don't want a word to seep into popular culture amongst different ethnicities don't use it.

Double standards.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't want a word to seep into popular culture amongst different ethnicities don't use it.

Double standards.

There are a lot of words that are seeped into popular culture. Would you call a close friend or family member or coworker a bitch or a cunt? If not why? Is it because you understand context? Is it because you are a respectable person and understand that those words carry a certain level of power and weight that might make the person on the receiving end or in ear shot feel terrible? Why does that not apply here? Why with the n-word do people all of a sudden lose all personal agency because they listen to rap music?

OceanBreeze

Banned
May 7, 2018
Black people throw that word around so much like it's nothing. It's no surprise that it's picked up on and used by others.

I don't go around calling my friends the C word because I know it's an offensive word and therefore hardly ever use it.

You can laugh at my typical white person opinion but I am applying logic here.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Black people throw that word around so much like it's nothing. It's hardly surprising it's picked up and used by others.

I don't go around calling my friends the C word because I know it's an offensive word and therefore for hardly ever use it.

Do you think black people are a monolith?
At least you were honest about trying to tell black people what to do, unlike Border.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Black people throw that word around so much like it's nothing. It's no surprise that it's picked up and used by others.

I don't go around calling my friends the C word because I know it's an offensive word and therefore for hardly ever use it.

So if you understand that despite how often it's used in media or by others, you choose not to use the "c-word" because of its offensive connotations, why not have that same expectation for the n-word? Is that not logical?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see plenty of cultures and races use it growing up. Nobody cares and nobody had a problem with it. It's only becoming more ingrained (not saying it's a good thing).

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black people throw that word around so much like it's nothing. It's no surprise that it's picked up on and used by others.

I don't go around calling my friends the C word because I know it's an offensive word and therefore hardly ever use it.

No one's gonna laugh at this, your just a typical internet white person and clueless to boot.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

this is an actual post.

someone wrote line 1 and proceeded to write line 2 unironically.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Not shocking. As a k-pop fan, I've heard at least a dozen idols say it over the years.
Not saying you're wrong, but if they were talking in Korean they might've been saying "nega" or "niga" which basically means "you" (formal/informal).

It was pretty confusing because I thought I heard a bunch of Koreans at school one day going off and dropping it like it's nothing lol

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There is supposed a /s at the end of this right? Talk about a total lack of self-awareness.

Anyways, I grew up in a predominantly Asian area with the token Hispanic or White guy (me). I heard it so much from the Asian population at my elementary school the word didn't really have meaning to me growing up. It wasn't until I got older that I understood the issues with the word and it's historical significance.

With that said, from what I remember, the word was never used as a way to put anyone down but always a term of endearment. That's just how normalized the word has become in modern society. Of course now that we are all adults the guys I kept up with after elementary school have stopped saying it but that is to be expected.

Kappa

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck me... This thread only shows that we are still in a downward spiral in minority relations . Just plain disgusting

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

Amine? Or are you talking about that Kendrick Lamar incident?

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not saying you're wrong, but if they were talking in Korean they might've been saying "nega" or "niga" which basically means "you" (formal/informal).

It was pretty confusing because I thought I heard a bunch of Koreans at school one day going off and dropping it like it's nothing lol
Na it's the hood vultures in the Korean pop rap scene and some of the idols. That try to act a certain way and or use a stereotype to mimic a rapper.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Replace it with Bitch then. Same thing applies. Would you call your mother a bitch? Why not?
Me personally, probably. But other dude should answer that question. He said he wouldn't use cunt but bitch is a much more comparable word to the n word so I wonder if he uses that.

Edit: comparable in main stream usage, not history or meaning.

Last edited:

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Na it's the hood vultures in the Korean pop rap scene and some of the idols. That try to act a certain way and or use a stereotype to mimic a rapper.
damn, well that's different then. idk shit about k-pop tho lmao

Also, kinda off topic but I wanted to get some perspectives from Black Americans here on how they view black non-Americans using the n word? One of my friends is pretty adamant that only Black Americans who grew up here should be able to use it. He ended up checking one of our Nigerian buddies because his reasoning is that he didn't have any history or connection with that word. He grew up in Nigeria and still is able to connect with his culture in a way that my friend no longer can. How do some of you guys feel about it?

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol with how I saw my white friends talk to their moms as a kid, this might not be the trap question you think

It's hard to put all relationships in a vacuum, honestly. My mother and I have a fantastic relationship and we've been talking shit to one another essentially since I was born. It's our way of showing each other affection.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
damn, well that's different then. idk shit about k-pop tho lmao

Also, kinda off topic but I wanted to get some perspectives from Black Americans here on how they view black non-Americans using the n word? One of my friends is pretty adamant that only Black Americans who grew up here should be able to use it. He ended up checking one of our Nigerian buddies because his reasoning is that he didn't have any history or connection with that word. He grew up in Nigeria and still is able to connect with his culture in a way that my friend no longer can. How do some of you guys feel about it?
Uh as a Black American, I can't imagine why someone from Nigeria (you know, a country in Africa) wouldn't/couldn't have cultural ties to a word originating from the slave era. I think your friend lacks a little perspective.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Uh as a Black American, I can't imagine why someone from Nigeria (you know, a country in Africa) wouldn't/couldn't have cultural ties to a word originating from the slave era. I think your friend lacks a little perspective.
Yeah, idk. That was kinda my reasoning for why they should be fine using it. But he went on to tell me that it's not the same because they never grew up here and didn't go through the African American experience. I didn't prod any further so we kinda just left it at that.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
lol with how I saw some of my white friends talk to their moms as a kid, this might not be the trap question you think

I know what you mean and that sort of reinforces my point. Growing up I had friends that would call their mom a bitch but if anybody else did they'd get popped in the mouth. My point is simply that we all understand in situations like this that context in language matters. It's why we don't curse (normally) at work or at church. It's why most of us wouldnt call our mom a bitch despite hearing it all over movies and tv and music. We all in some way to another understand that language can he complex and has a lot to context and nuance that drives what we say and don't say and where we say it or don't say it. There is no rule book or governing body that tells you what words you can and can to use. So why does that not apply to the n-word? Why all of a sudden with the n-word are people expecting "oh my god i listened to too much DMX and I can't help myself" to be valid excuse?

vertigo

Aug 25, 2018
Brooklyn
I wont say anything if they are non-white because its just not worth the argument. Still wrong, but i know how it goes. Ive almost gotten in a few drunken fights from white chicks saying the n word (dudes would just call me a bitch and walk away). Like big yikes. Especially at concerts where normalized to a degree.

EDIT BUT i have hung around folks- mostly in more of the hood where i live- where white dudes say it 24/7 round mostly black people. at that point its just not worth getting bent outta shape about. If their friends encourage the language then.... imma stay out of it

Last edited:

Shinku_King

Nov 11, 2017
Tbh only time I actually said something was this white guy was just saying it, alot and I told him to chill.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Threads like this are why I keep interactions with white people to a minimum

Too much dumb shit being said

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know how it is now but when I was younger my cousin said Brooklyn was really bad about this when he lived there and he absolutely hated it.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
That's because they've been indoctrinated since birth to look down on any and all Afro influence with disgust.

Thankfully some of them (usually the 2nd gen-onwards) are waking up to reality. And all it took was them facing anti-black racism, finally looking at themselves in the mirror, and going "No matter my country of origin, I will always be looked as a [redacted]"

The pervasiveness of anti-blackness in Latin America is a topic for another day.
Oh definitely agree and I wasn't trying to steer the topic in anyway just wanted to share my own anecdotal experience with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.