so REX huh

• Dino Crisis confirmed!!!

Votes: 166 50.5%
  • Resident Evil 10 of course

Votes: 95 28.9%
  • are you my brother? are you my brother Rex Racer?

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • REXXX hahaha sex

Votes: 33 10.0%
  • no fucking way we're still in 2017 stop lying

Votes: 23 7.0%

• Total voters

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
giphy.gif

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sure would be nice if they license it out to other developers. Real alternatives to Unreal Engine are always welcome, as long as it's as good as RE Engine.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sure would be nice if they license it out to other developers. Real alternatives to Unreal Engine are always welcome, as long as it's as good as RE Engine.
Capcom's MT Framework and RE Engine ports are basically universally excellent, I'd imagine the next one should be great to work with.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Given the name, maybe they plan on Resident Evil 10 being the first big game to utilize it? Or would that be too far off? Don't think we'd see that game until maybe 2028 at the earliest.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Making an engine commercially available means a lot of engineers and support staff no? It's hard enough to build a proprietary engine, but being able to sell it and have enough hands to make it viable to others, add on any language barriers, seems like a huge undertaking. Has their been any indication of Capcom staffing up in that regard?

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I don't feel like either of these complaints have anything to do with the engine as it is as even the Ghost Trick port is running in it. Just how the devs wanted to make their games.
I'm not privy on the details of engines but this has been a consistent issue since the move to RE engine, could an artistic direction thing but rise's washed out colors are a bizarre direction.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Capcom acquiring Konami confirmed. Next version to be called RAY.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
I truly hope this one is actually really good on PC with way better VRAM usage + SSAO, and not a complete stutter nightmare like UE5 (thanks Epic).

PSES

Apr 1, 2022
The name stands for RE Engine neXt generation.

There was nothing in the video that talked about external licensing, so I dunno where Mr. Okami Games of Twitter is getting that idea.

They mention the issues they're trying to solve and what kind of features they're introducing.

F9ZIiFjWQAABcrB

F9ZIjJ4W0AA7SeP

RE Engine is highly backwards compatible, so that wouldn't be necessary. They can backport new features to older games with relatively minimal issues due to how RE Engine works.

The presentation mentions that they will gradually introduce REX features into RE Engine, transitioning the engine to the next generation of features over time.
I understood it to mean that the rex engine will be the next generation of the engine. The re engine was created in the previous generation and I understand that the new engine will be to get the most out of the current generation.

Oct 28, 2017
I just hope they finally sort out the reflections. It's baffling how they are always a mess in their current engine.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
If they name it Rex and don't make a new Dino Crisis game, someone at Capcom is personally trolling me (more than they already are).

It's just too perfect NOT to happen. I've waited long enough.
That would be really odd though. They e gotta know that "REX" is making people think of dinosaurs.

But it could also just be "RE: X" ie "Reach for the Moon Engine X". X AS IN MEGAMAN X BAYBEE!!! WWOOOOOOOOT IM FUCKING PUMPED!

Or neXt gen which is very boring as I see above......

64bitmodels

Aug 28, 2022
I haven't seen the video, what improvements will this engine have over the original RE? Will older games be ported over to it?