• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I thought global demand had already plateau'ed. In either case the writing is on the wall and investments in the oil sands is just not worth it.

Oh I'm not sure what the correct stat is then lol.

Last I've heard the demand is still increasing but it's slowing down and peak is about 3 years from now.

The shitlords who make their money off fossil fuels are buying up political parties to cash in while they can.

See: Trump meddling in the Ukraine and Kenney and Andy here in Canada.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I want to vote NDP but strategic voting to prevent that piece of shit Sheer from winning is more important. I'm Burnaby, BC and I'm going to vote after work. Is the polling showing Liberal as the better choice for my area or is it still okay to pick NDP?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Real Estate fluctuations depends on region and city.

Vancouver already peeked, slower get slightly lower

Toronto keeps climbing

Montreal usee to be affordable but is now rising up up every year and is hot

South shore is getting unaffordable for couples making anything less than $100,000-$120,000 as well. We bought in Brossard in 2015 and that seems smart now even though I find our monthly mortgage payment to be totally ludicrous.

I guess I think of people like my parents who were able to make $35,000 to $40,000 each and afford a down payment around 15 years ago and still live in relative comfort. I feel horrible for people working lower wage jobs, especially those who are single, who want to buy property in 2019 in the area they grew up in when that area has made it damn near unaffordable for the majority of working people.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
That has more to do with the new taxes from your provincial NDP government. It makes me sad that they're dropping the ball. The real estate situation in Vancouver is a mess.

It's fine for now. We bought the condo to live in and not make money off of, so we'll be here for at least a few years. I think the provincial NDP are doing a great job tbh. If they went balls out and crashed the Metro Vancouver real estate market they wouldn't sniff election again for decades.

There's already been a ton of protests against them over the moves they've made so far. Lot of "fuck you got mine" in this City

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I want to vote NDP but strategic voting to prevent that piece of shit Sheer from winning is more important. I'm Burnaby, BC and I'm going to vote after work. Is the polling showing Liberal as the better choice for my area or is it still okay to pick NDP?

Which Burnaby, if you're North and it's Terry Beech, you keep that LPC seat of his.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
I think I'm going to spoil my ballot today. I can't vote Liberal in good conscience after Trudeau breaking his electoral reform promise. I only did so in 2015 to ensure Harper's defeat. I really like Jagmeet Singh and think he's a good man, but I can't reward his political cowardice on the racist QC bill 21. I really wanted him to stand up for minorities in QC who are being targeted by this bill and he failed. Conservative is simply not an option and the Greens aren't a serious party imo when the NDP and the Liberals both have comprehensive plans on the environment and climate change.

Ideally we get a Liberal-NDP coalition government for the next 2-3 years, and they implement national pharmacare and dental care, affordable housing strategy, increased investment in public transportation, tax for internet giants and the superich, open up wireless markets to foreign competition and they either implement electoral reform for real this time, or if we keep FPTP both parties form a formal electoral pact to work together at the national level.

If you want to reward the Conservatives, you can just vote from them instead of spoling your ballot.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
South shore is getting unaffordable for couples making anything less than $100,000-$120,000 as well. We bought in Brossard in 2015 and that seems smart now even though I find our monthly mortgage payment to be totally ludicrous.

I guess I think of people like my parents who were able to make $35,000 to $40,000 each and afford a down payment around 15 years ago and still
live in relative comfort. I feel horrible for people working lower wage jobs, especially those who are single, who want to buy property in 2019 in the area they grew up in when that area has made it damn near unaffordable for the majority of working people.
Yeah, the influx of foreign buyers is ruining the market

The new REM rail will also boost home value

The South Shore used to be affordable but not anymore

I bought a rinkydinky condo for 75k in 2003 on the Shore as my first. To put into perspective how much has changed

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

According to votewell.ca (I know it's been mentioned earlier as not a totally trustworthy source), both Burnaby South and Burnaby North look like they're headed for NDP victories.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

I mean, it's great for my wife and I in the long term if/when we choose to sell our house, but thinking about the next generation of home buyers...they're fucked if they join a lower-level or mid-level paying field/profession.

"Papa, I want to be a teacher."
"No, honey. You want to be a principal or a real estate agent. Trust me."

My sister-in-law is coming to this rude awakening right now. She's in her 40s making around 40 grand a year in a factory, and even shopping for a condo is insane.

Razorskin

Oct 25, 2017
Voted earlier today, wasn't totally sold on the Liberals but when Trudeau said he'd drive down the prices of houses in Alberta by another 15% he had me sold.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
The bots and Pierre Delectos are spamming their silly hashtags. 🤣

Happy Election Day! Go vote, or remain eternally useless and irrelevant!

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
According to votewell.ca (I know it's been mentioned earlier as not a totally trustworthy source), both Burnaby South and Burnaby North look like they're headed for NDP victories.
Oh damn now I'm unsure. Liberal seems like the safe bet but if NDP is actually likely to win then I would much rather vote for it.

I'm not voting for another 5 hours so hopefully it's more conclusive by the time I head to cast my vote.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Oh damn now I'm unsure. Liberal seems like the safe bet but if NDP is actually likely to win then I would much rather vote for it.

I'm not voting for another 5 hours so hopefully it's more conclusive by the time I head to cast my vote.

I'd say you're safe to vote with your conscience and you'll be good either way.

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
Voted earlier today, wasn't totally sold on the Liberals but when Trudeau said he'd drive down the prices of houses in Alberta by another 15% he had me sold.

giphy.gif

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

I bought a rinkydinky condo for 75k in 2003 on the Shore as my first. To put into perspective how much has changed

Damn. What a steal.

My parents bought a house in Hamilton East (Ontario) around 2004 for $245,000. 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, huge common areas, garage, backyard, the works...I was thinking I'd be able to get something similiar in 2015 for maybe $300,000 in Brossard.

I got no garage, a bigger backyard, 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and more cramped common spaces for $384,000.

I know location is important, but paying $140,000 more for a home that's actually smaller 11 years later for what I'd consider a comparable area just felt wrong. My parents' house in Hamilton east is also now valued at $600,000. No clue how this is even fair.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
It's fine for now. We bought the condo to live in and not make money off of, so we'll be here for at least a few years. I think the provincial NDP are doing a great job tbh. If they went balls out and crashed the Metro Vancouver real estate market they wouldn't sniff election again for decades.

There's already been a ton of protests against them over the moves they've made so far. Lot of "fuck you got mine" in this City
They've altered the single family zoning but I think BC still needs to back off somewhat with the ALR zoning. Geographically there is no room for expansion and there is currently near zero supply for real estate. If the lower mainland wants to increase buying opportunity and reduce rent, there has to be more properties available. How many damn blueberry farms does Richmond need? Let developers make more affordable housing instead of cramming more luxury condos in the small space available.

Razorskin

Oct 25, 2017

Yup, South Shore is hot, that's why I settled in Laval.

Oct 27, 2017
Every Monday is 50% off if you order online carry out. I don't do the student deal.

Just have to go through coupons and then you'll see it.
Online only, mon - wed is 50% off

Okay cool, thanks! For walk-in deals I usually go to the Red Swan pizza a block away. 10.99 for a 14-inch large two-topping pizza. Might do that tonight! As a tip, of anyone has a Red SeSwanan near them, try this:
  • Thin crust
  • Ranch base
  • Tandoori chicken
  • Red onion

It's amazing.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Either pharmacare or the environment. I don't think anyone cares about cell phone prices.
I think no matter what, Cellphone prices are a given. It's in both the Liberal, NDP and Green platforms anyways. That said, in minority government situation the NDP would definately push more for their version of Pharmacare over their version of Cellphone and utility regulations.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Are there usually victory and concession speeches today? And if so. What will Scheer say when he loses. Will he say it's rigged and should be investigated?

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
Are there usually victory and concession speeches today? And if so. What will Scheer say when he loses. Will he say it's rigged and should be investigated?

If Scheer loses (If) it will be his only time running as the leader of the cons. He will be shockingly humble though I can't see anyone but Bernier making a fuss. There should be speeches today though, likely will start before polls are closed because the election will likely be called before the west is done.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

I guess I think of people like my parents who were able to make $35,000 to $40,000 each and afford a down payment around 15 years ago and still live in relative comfort. I feel horrible for people working lower wage jobs, especially those who are single, who want to buy property in 2019 in the area they grew up in when that area has made it damn near unaffordable for the majority of working people.

Bought a semi-detached house in Saint-Hubert for just under 280k in 2017 that the city estimates will be worth almost 350k in about 2 years. It's absolutely crazy. We live 5 minutes from the new REM line being put in at Dix 30 too. House value is going to spike up even more once all the new public transit is finished. 4 bedrooms, 2 bathroom for reference.

My wife and I make due on about 70k a year but we should be at about 100k a year in a bit of time with some luck that'll make starting a family easier.

MikeRahl

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's great for my wife and I in the long term if/when we choose to sell our house, but thinking about the next generation of home buyers...they're fucked if they join a lower-level or mid-level paying field/profession.

"Papa, I want to be a teacher."
"No, honey. You want to be a principal or a real estate agent. Trust me."

My sister-in-law is coming to this rude awakening right now. She's in her 40s making around 40 grand a year in a factory, and even shopping for a condo is insane.

TBF Real-estate Agents are a pretty weird profession. I think in Toronto there are close to 50K of them, and of those less than half registered MORE than 1 sale in 2017.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
If Scheer loses (If) it will be his only time running as the leader of the cons. There should be speeches today though, likely will start before polls are closed because the election will likely be called before the west is done.

I think we need to be prepared for a very long evening, though. A lot of very close races throughout the country means that the election might be called later than usual.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, South Shore is hot, that's why I settled in Laval.

It's not like Laval is really that cheaper (depending of where you go, you can still buy something in Laval-Ouest but then it's frigging Laval-Ouest). We grew up in Laval but my sister had to settle for Blainville for her house. A comparable one was almost 100K more expensive in Laval in Fabreville or Vimont.

Deleted member 25834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Damn. What a steal.

My parents bought a house in Hamilton East (Ontario) around 2004 for $245,000. 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, huge common areas, garage, backyard, the works...I was thinking I'd be able to get something similiar in 2015 for maybe $300,000 in Brossard.

I got no garage, a bigger backyard, 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and more cramped common spaces for $384,000.

I know location is important, but paying $140,000 more for a home that's actually smaller 11 years later for what I'd consider a comparable area just felt wrong. My parents' house in Hamilton east is also now valued at $600,000. No clue how this is even fair.
My parents bought their first home (still living in it) in 2008/2009 for around $350,000. They thought that price was crazy, only for their home 10 years later be valued at around $1.4 million. Toronto, and the rest of the major cities/metropolitan areas are becoming extremely expensive. Having said that, I can see why a lot of these areas have become so desired.

New transit infrastructure, these places becoming vacation destinations to a global audience (festivals, concerts, sports, restaurants, media, etc)... each of these cities have more and more to offer and the prices of homes (as well as goods and services) are reflecting that.

As much as it sucks to hear, with the way these cities continue to grow, I can't see a correction or collapse unless something happens on a global level.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Bought a semi-detached house in Saint-Hubert for just under 280k in 2017 that the city estimates will be worth almost 350k in about 2 years. It's absolutely crazy. We live 5 minutes from the new REM line being put in at Dix 30 too. House value is going to spike up even more once all the new public transit is finished. 4 bedrooms, 2 bathroom for reference.

My wife and I make due on about 70k a year but we should be at about 100k a year in a bit of time with some luck that'll make starting a family easier.

Good luck to you! I wish the way things are set up didn't make it so difficult for people of modest incomes to get by. My wife and I now clear $120,000 as a couple (I know that's not modest), but even at that point, around $1800 a month for a mortgage is pretty nuts when you add property taxes, electrical bill, internet bill, transit pass, phones, school fees, gas, groceries, clothes, activities for the kids, trips, etc. on top of it.

Razorskin

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like Laval is really that cheaper (depending of where you go, you can still buy something in Laval-Ouest but then it's frigging Laval-Ouest). We grew up in Laval but my sister had to settle for Blainville for her house. A comparable one was almost 100K more expensive in Laval in Fabreville or Vimont.
It's true that it isn't cheaper in some areas, but Auteuil was a more affordable for me than Brossard.

Status
Not open for further replies.