Status
Not open for further replies.

Supernova

Oct 10, 2018
Spoiling a vote is always a really bad idea. In practice, it's the same as not getting out to vote at all. It's not sending any message.

No parties and no candidates are perfect. But you need to decide who you think could represent you the best (the MP), and who could lead the country the best for the next few years (the party). You have until the end of the day to decide who you'll vote for.

And if you really don't like any party at all, vote for the MP candidate in your riding that you think is the best person.

I guess you're right, there's no party that 100% represents me, but defending visible minorities from blatantly racist legislation like Bill 21 is non negotiable for me. That's a low bar in my opinion.

Spoiling a vote is always a really bad idea. In practice, it's the same as not getting out to vote at all. It's not sending any message.

No parties and no candidates are perfect. But you need to decide who you think could represent you the best (the MP), and who could lead the country the best for the next few years (the party). You have until the end of the day to decide who you'll vote for.

And if you really don't like any party at all, vote for the MP candidate in your riding that you think is the best person.

Trust me, if there were any chances the conservatives would win tonight, id hold my nose and vote NDP or Liberal. I understand what you're saying though.

I honestly believe the polls are wrong and it's not as close as it seems and that the Liberals will be back with a strong minority or even a slim majority though.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Trudeau's debate performance really hurt him in QC.

His stumbling in a public forum isn't a great look. I voted Liberal, but Trudeau comes off like a smug and bumbling ass much of the time. The non-apology and doubling down on everything during the SNC thing made me lose all hope of him actually being a competent leader who knows what's best for the country or just what's best for public perception.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
No need to get nasty here guys. Our economy sucks here right now. I've tried to sell my house twice in the last four years and won't even get a sniff unless I'm taking at least a 15% hit from what I paid for it (basically dusting our entire down payment that we saved up for years) and we can't afford that.

I'm not in love with Scheer or the conservatives or anything, I voted Trudeau last election, but at least Scheer is the only one who looks to make an attempt at kickstarting things here. Trudeau will just be delay after delay and business as usual, and Singh would probably actually like to build that wall. So what choice do we have?

Trudeau bought Alberta a pipeline. I am so baffled how Alberta is still so confused into thinking that Trudeau isn't on their side here. He's like bending over backwards to prop up the oil sands meanwhile every institutional investor is backing the hell out of investing in the oil sands because it's fundamentally unsustainable and a bad investment.

Arthois

Oct 27, 2017
No need to get nasty here guys. Our economy sucks here right now. I've tried to sell my house twice in the last four years and won't even get a sniff unless I'm taking at least a 15% hit from what I paid for it (basically dusting our entire down payment that we saved up for years) and we can't afford that.

I'm not in love with Scheer or the conservatives or anything, I voted Trudeau last election, but at least Scheer is the only one who looks to make an attempt at kickstarting things here. Trudeau will just be delay after delay and business as usual, and Singh would probably actually like to build that wall. So what choice do we have?

Why are you asking for the Federal government to kick start your province economy when that should be on your provincial government top priority?!

RoC! Is this common, is this what people think the feds are for?!

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017

I sold my house in two weeks in edmonton and only lost a couple grand
Dont really think its anywhere near as bad as people say it is there.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Alberta needs to diversify from more than just oil period. The fact that the economy is tied to one commodity is extremely dangerous, and the CPC is the one party that wants to keep it that way. You literally voted against your long term interests.

Deleted member 5582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not going to berate you for your choice of vote but I don't think Scheer winning will make much of a difference in Alberta.

Oil companies spent the last few years learning how to run their operations with lower staff numbers and we're likely past peak employment in the oil industry there even with increased output capacity. That also means there's less a need for construction employment to build infrastructure for future residents and employees. Both of these things mean a long term shift towards depressed house prices and depressed economy.

Nothing can change this other than pivoting towards other industries and effectively diversifying the Alberta economy.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
How is it Trudeau's fault you can't sell your house at the value you want? That happens to people in Ontario all the time and no one blames the Prime Minister. What is even happening here.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Priorities are hard too, I see that

Not bankrupting the country is a priority too.

Unfortunately Harper laid down a Chinese minefield against any potential environmental actions by future governments to wind down the oil sands and we have to tread carefully.

Owning the pipeline while expensive and largely unpopular is a loophole he found.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

I'm a few pages behind since I was planning to reject/refuse my ballot for other reasons, but it turns out that they're counted the same as spoiled ballots so it doesn't send any message towards EC or anyone else.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
lmao of course the one conservative voter gets immediately dogpiled. Don't leave we need more variety around here!!!

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Yeah, try living in Vancouver where even buying a house is a faraway dream.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Having a minor election watching party so my snax on deck are pizza, hummus, cookies, and Tortilla chips and salsa. Tons of Beer also.

Robert81

Nov 2, 2017
My family and I just got back from voting for Liberals. Can't chance having conservatives cutting family members jobs. It's funny my family never really cares who wins. After Ford cuts job , That motivated us to get out and vote.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I don't believe this. Spoiled or Rhino votes get counted and published. I have never done it, and obviously if a riding is close you should pick a side, but in a lopsided riding spoiled votes do send a message. There is no purpose in falsely propping up a party if you are unhappy with both sides. Spoiled votes show that you are indeed unhappy with both sides.

The absolute worse is not voting. That shows that you don't care. Spoiling a vote proves that you do care.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, not buying anything special tonight, and probably won't watch out of nerves.

I bought sushi for the 2016 election and it was the tastiest sushi with the worst chaser ever lol.

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While coalitions have never been a thing at the federal level, I think there's reason to think that we may see the Liberals and NDP form one if the seats distribution line up just right. One sign that points to it is that there is a sizeable support for a coalition among both the Liberal and NDP voting blocs that could cause the parties to seriously look into the idea. Naturally, the NDP should have no trouble being in favour of it, it's the Liberals who would mainly need to be convinced.

However, it could work in the Grits' favour to pursue a coalition rather than simply seek support from them in the Commons. People seem to think that the NDP would force the Libs to pursue policy that the Libs would otherwise balk at, but I could just as easily see the NDP be the one to compromise on some of their principles in exchange for finally being able to form government at the federal level.

Oct 25, 2017
hahah I had an election party for the 2016 US election too and I think I figured out that Trump was gonna win before everyone else so then I brought out the ice cream just in time for the sadness to kick in for everyone else. Mitigate the damage.

Pretty much this but with family instead of friends, I also keyed into Trump winning pretty early on based on how early states went

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

How is Scheer going to kickstart the economy here in Alberta? Is he going to ram pipelines through BC and Quebec? Is he going to flip a magic switch and get oil prices back to what they were in the heydays? Is he going to knock down the doors of OPEC nations and make them play nice? Is he going to convince the Americans to return to relying on Canadian oil more than they do now when they are energy independent?

Alberta's economy started to flutter while Harper was still PM, and the PC party was still ruling the province. But you think Scheer has a magic tool they didn't to fix an economy that's mostly dependant on high oil prices, and in a country that has zero influence on global oil prices? You're looking for salvation from the same guys who were seated firmly in the captain's chair as the ship hit the iceberg and started sinking.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Climate change is THE major issue for me, but a very close second is Canadian real estate. Whoever's in power needs to get that shit under control. I just don't know how because I know fuck all about economics or how any of this works, or if it's even possible for the ridiculous housing price increases to be rolled back like seven years.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
My family and I just got back from voting for Liberals. Can't chance having conservatives cutting family members jobs. It's funny my family never really cares who wins. After Ford cuts job , That motivated us to get out and vote.
Yah, when your job is on the line you start to pay attention. I don't know anyone in Ottawa that would vote Scheer or the CPC after what Harper did. Entire rooms emptied due to layoffs. I'm starting to think even PP isn't safe any more.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Did anyone else get a tweet from Elections Canada reminding you to vote? I did. They must be sending an automated tweet to all Canadian Twitter users?

If you haven't already voted I hope you do because this fellow I found on Twitter has:

838c7d19d2e8616633fb5b310c80d1d5.png

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Yah, when your job is on the line you start to pay attention. I don't know anyone in Ottawa that would vote Scheer or the CPC after what Harper did. Entire rooms emptied due to layoffs. I'm starting to think even PP isn't safe any more.
yup, the CPC and the Bloc want to repatriate Revenue Canada in Quebec to Revenue Quebec which would mean that everyone working for Revenue Canada in that province would lose their jobs

the CPC are such shits, the Bloc too

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
yup, the CPC and the Bloc want to repatriate Revenue Canada in Quebec to Revenue Quebec which would mean that everyone working for Revenue Canada in that province would lose their jobs

the CPC are such shits, the Bloc too

As someone who lives in Quebec, fuck that. LOL. My provincial taxes are always much higher than my federal taxes at the end of the year. That said, insurance prices (car and house) in Quebec are AMAZING compared to Ontario, which is where I lived before.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

You'd be surprised. I personal know Alberta provincial employees (and a number of City of Edmonton employees) who voted UCP. The UCP did not hide the fact that they wanted to slash public sector jobs, and these people voted for them anyways. Because at times, hating other people and wanting to see them suffer, is a more appetising endeavour than ensuring that you don't shoot yourself in the foot in the process. They're just going to turn around and blame minorities if they lose their jobs anyways, and not the actual party they voted for who promised them they'd cut their jobs.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Trudeau bought Alberta a pipeline. I am so baffled how Alberta is still so confused into thinking that Trudeau isn't on their side here. He's like bending over backwards to prop up the oil sands meanwhile every institutional investor is backing the hell out of investing in the oil sands because it's fundamentally unsustainable and a bad investment.

All three parties are in Alberta's corner tbh.

Notley did everything but bareknuckle box to get the pipeline in. She couldn't, Kinney can't and Scheer wouldn't be able to "kickstart" sweet fuck all in Alberta to any meaningful degree. The Oil sector is in it's fatal decline and nothing short of Trump starting a war while do much to save it.

In the meantime your choice is to vote for a less shitty party that does more about climate change, does more about healthcare and maybe, hopefully, will help Alberta diversify it's energy sector before it goes tits up for good. Not just deny, double down on Oil, cut corporate taxes and call it a day.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
You'd be surprised. I personal know Alberta provincial employees (and a number of City of Edmonton employees) who voted UCP. The UCP did not hide the fact that they wanted to slash public sector jobs, and these people voted for them anyways. Because at times, hating other people and wanting to see them suffer, is a more appetising endeavour than ensuring that you don't shoot yourself in the foot in the process. They're just going to turn around and blame minorities if they lose their jobs anyways, and not the actual party they voted for who promised them they'd cut their jobs.

Yah but, I'm not surprised coming from Alberta. They've been voting against their interest for years.

In Ontario, Tim Hudak said he'd start his term with 100,000 public sector cuts and that was enough to get Wynne elected. WYNNE!

Notley did everything but bareknuckle box to get the pipeline in. She couldn't, Kinney can't and Scheer wouldn't be able to "kickstart" sweet fuck all in Alberta to any meaningful degree. The Oil sector is in it's fatal decline and nothing short of Trump starting a war while do much to save it.

In the meantime your choice is to vote for a less shitty party that does more about climate change, does more about healthcare and maybe, hopefully, will help Alberta diversify it's energy sector before it goes tits up for good. Not just deny, double down on Oil, cut corporate taxes and call it a day.

I still have hope that one day Alberta would vote in the NDP provincially again.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

I've read oil demand will peak in 3 years and will flatline for the next 10.

CPC and UCP are only there to maximize investment returns for those who bet big on the oil sands.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Yah but, I'm not surprised coming from Alberta. They've been voting against their interest for years.

In Ontario, Tim Hudak said he'd start his term with 100,000 public sector cuts and that was enough to get Wynne elected. WYNNE!

In fairness, Edmonton went largely NDP this past Spring.

Calgary's reliance on the Oil sector pushed them back to the UPC and rural Alberta is like rural most-places. Old and conservative to their bones.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

Y'all have any more of that self preservation instincts to crop dust over Alberta? Lol

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
How is it Trudeau's fault you can't sell your house at the value you want? That happens to people in Ontario all the time and no one blames the Prime Minister. What is even happening here.

MY condo is down 10-15% from what we paid for it in Vancouver. Even if they helped, there's no chance I'd vote conservatives. Sure, I might recoup some of my investment but screw you rest of the human race as we slowly roast on a spit here while they double down on oil

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I've read oil demand will peak in 3 years and will flatline for the next 10.

CPC and UCP are only there to maximize investment returns for those who bet big on the oil sands.

I thought global demand had already plateau'ed. In either case the writing is on the wall and investments in the oil sands is just not worth it.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Real Estate fluctuations depends on region and city.

Vancouver already peeked, slower get slightly lower

Toronto keeps climbing

Montreal usee to be affordable but is now rising up up every year and is hot

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
CTV Live in 5 hours, still have time to go buy either celebration or sadness junk food. Maybe the patriots will lose to the jets and brighten things up lol

Status
Not open for further replies.