Status
Not open for further replies.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
I agree.

Trudeau's campaign has been very boring. Mostly running on their record and some mild improvements that will help people but nothing groundbreaking like pot or carbon tax.

He's lucky that Scheer is such a lame duck candidate.

The incumbent government usually doesn't promise anything big because the question becomes "why now".

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
Used to go Liberal but Conservative for the last few elections. That certainly suggests the Liberals are feeling the wind at their back (at least in Ontario) and are trying to pick up new seats.

If they were running scared they'd be revisiting 'safe' Liberal seats in the 905 or something.
They are planning a trip of ontario in the last few days of the campaign.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I really do wonder who they go with when Scheer most likely drops the ball. My Conservative dad is pretty excited about the Peter MacKay rumors.

It seems like their only chance is to go closer to the center since a social conservative like Scheer isn't working. Unless they are worried about the PPC splitting the vote in that scenario.

They just need to find a social conservative that has personality.

Those people make up a big chunk of their base, they nearly added abortion back to the party charter. I'm not sure they can ignore them, this is the direction Harper took.

The best part of Smeer's continuous failures, is that it will further splinter the Cons.

They will blame Ford.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at Singh's twitter he says he's going to be in Victoria on Friday night, which has been a frequent stop for him, so that shows how much pressure the NDP must be feeling from the Greens in that Victoria riding (and surrounding ridings really I bet).

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
They will blame Ford.
Of course, but the rumblings of Smeer's failures are already out there. He had two major Liberal scandals to work with and botched everything. (Thankfully.) He's a doughy nothingburger of a person that couldn't sell ice in the desert. Some Cons crave that thin fraudulent veneer of "respectability" that Smeer oozes out, while others want the full blown Mad Max type despot. This will just exacerbate those feelings.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, bring back the guy that sold out the Progressive Conservatives to the Reform Party. lol

Yeah, it isn't an amazing prospect but who else do they really have?

They just need to find a social conservative that has personality.

Those people make up a big chunk of their base, they nearly added abortion back to the party charter. I'm not sure they can ignore them, this is the direction Harper took.

That's true. I guess I just assume that most social conservatives will fall in line if they go a different direction. Are there any charismatic social conservatives who would have a shot at the leadership?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it isn't an amazing prospect but who else do they really have?

That's true. I guess I just assume that most social conservatives will fall in line if they go a different direction. Are there any charismatic social conservatives who would have a shot at the leadership?

Home schooled guy from Niagara that called the cops on a seniors book club?

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
4xyZt2A.png

Fucking Alberta

What's this from? Look at Edmonton being a somewhat oasis in the middle of a desert of stupidity.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Give Caroline Mulroney a call and ask her if she wants a new job where she wouldn't be constantly thrown under the bus by Ford. lol
Only way to beat the son of a former PM is with the daughter of one. :P
She is literally the token Francophone in cabinet. lol
Her career is basically over unless she gets the nepotism support and is parachuted into a safe riding and promoted to the frontbench without having to put in any time or effort.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Give Caroline Mulroney a call and ask her if she wants a new job where she wouldn't be constantly thrown under the bus by Ford. lol
Only way to beat the son of a former PM is with the daughter of one. :P

Another American, and this time one that voluntarily made oaths of allegiance to the States?

GgqTg8C.gif

I'm hoping so too.

Nanos also showed the 905 favouring the LIBs. So hopefully it's a common trend.

Huge Tory drop and a big NDP gain with only a modest Liberal uptick, which supports the theory that you're seeing the Liberals winning over centre-right swing voters while also losing a bit of ground on the centre-left to the NDP.

Forum regionals tell the bigger story.

That's a surprisingly robust Liberal number in Manitoba.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, but the rumblings of Smeer's failures are already out there. He had two major Liberal scandals to work with and botched everything. (Thankfully.) He's a doughy nothingburger of a person that couldn't sell ice in the desert. Some Cons crave that thin fraudulent veneer of "respectability" that Smeer oozes out, while others want the full blown Mad Max type despot. This will just exacerbate those feelings.

They just need to bring the old Progressive Conservative Party back.

The religious right can go fuck off to the CHP.

Libertarians can go join Mad Max.

Her career is basically over unless she gets the nepotism support and is parachuted into a safe riding and promoted to the frontbench without having to put in any time or effort.

Ah yes she was the AG in Ontario even though she can't practice law here.

What a fucking sellout. Just a Doug Ford clapping seal like the rest of them.
She can go fuck off to the US with Andy after he loses.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Looking at Singh's twitter he says he's going to be in Victoria on Friday night, which has been a frequent stop for him, so that shows how much pressure the NDP must be feeling from the Greens in that Victoria riding (and surrounding ridings really I bet).
Greta Thunberg is in Edmonton Friday. Thought he'd take the chance to meet her, show himself to be a good representative of the people of Canada and help boost the NDP candidate in Strathcona.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017

The entire point of choosing Singh over some of the other NDP Leadership candidates was to try to build NDP support in urban 905 ridings like Brampton. It seems like a big stretch goal at this point but if Singh can pull this riding that'd be a huge victory.

torontoml

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah me too, there seems to be a bunch of jobs in my field but I think I'd go insane with coworkers like that.
I moved here 5 years ago now. I work in Fort Mac, and will be here a long time as I just bought a house. I've worked two types of jobs here, one in the field with equipment operators and laborers etc., These people are vocal about their hate for the liberals and Trudeau and make up a lot of the population. I'm in a more professional setting now and there are a couple people that are vocal about their politics which is there relative dislike for the government taking their money, as such will vote conservative. But my current co-workers are a much more racially diverse group and leaders being women just don't talk about their political leanings in any significant fashion, and especially don't go into details too much.

I'm trying to keep myself informed this time more than others and economically voting for the conservatives would benefit me more I think. But I'm doing fine financially so I voted Liberal as they they are more aligned with my social values. Which is the way I feel many of my out of province raised co-workers will also go.

Still this riding is predicted to be solidly conservative and it doesn't really matter.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think this scare (if the Liberals mange to pull off a victory) will get them to look at proportional representation again? They know they'd have the support of at least the NDP.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
But my current co-workers are a much more racially diverse group and leaders being women just don't talk about their political leanings in any significant fashion, and especially don't go into details too much.

I've never talked politics at work and until Trump got elected it never came.up either.

But ever since Trump won, it came up all the time due to how crazy it all is and every day he does or says something dumb.

I remember working for a client in Ohio for a week and most people there had posters of guns and assault rifles all over their cubicles.

They were really nice and politics never came up but I felt super uncomfortable the whole time.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The cons would be better served getting someone like Tory as leader (I would have said Chong, but man that guy totally just supports Scheer rather than say anything against the leader). Tory is a con that actually respects diverse groups and has the balls to walk and support the LGBTQ+ community in the city. They might actually get right leaving libs

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The cons would be better served getting someone like Tory as leader (I would have said Chong, but man that got totally just supports Scheer rather than day anything against the leader). Tory is a con that actually respects diverse groups and has the balls to walk and support the LGBTQ+ community in the city. They might actually get right leaving libs

I get the feeling Tory probably leans closer Liberal these days.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The cons would be better served getting someone like Tory as leader (I would have said Chong, but man that got totally just supports Scheer rather than day anything against the leader). Tory is a con that actually respects diverse groups and has the balls to walk and support the LGBTQ+ community in the city. They might actually get right leaving libs

I think they'll double down and get an even more radical crackpot. Moderates like Tory or Chong would be rejected.

They booted Patrick Brown too.

The party would have to be annihilated in an election like it was right before the merger for any change(and it might be for the worse).

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

Wouldn't that be perfect for the PPC to draw in more nutty Cons? It seems to me that the Cons are going to be Tea Partied. If they attempt to swing back to a more sensible (still shitty, but more palatable to that flip-flopping Con-Lites the Liberals attract) platform, they risk sending their crazies over to the PPC. So they're going to move further to the right to keep everyone together.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Do you guys think this scare (if the Liberals mange to pull off a victory) will get them to look at proportional representation again? They know they'd have the support of at least the NDP.
Green have been pushing ER for a long time. A key part of their platform since inception maybe.

If there was something that maybe the Libs and Green could agree on for tweaking electoral law:
Mandate Elections Canada to develop a truth in advertising framework for election campaigns that empowers the Commissioner of Elections to investigate citizens' complaints related to campaign advertising and impose sanctions if the complaints are found to be justified

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017

No it was always a sham promise. Their best electoral strategy is to convince progressives to 'lend their vote' to them so that they, and only they, can beat the Conservatives.

The Liberals will never support PR.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, fucking Alberta. I dig this map though, very illuminating.
They just need to bring the old Progressive Conservative Party back.

The relight right can go fuck off to the CHP.

Libertarians can go join Mad Max.

Ah yes she was the AG in Ontario even though she can't practice law here.

What a fucking sellout. Just a Doug Ford clapping seal like the rest of them.
She can go fuck off to the US with Andy after he loses.
I find all of these sentiments to be good and true

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
No it was always a sham promise. Their best electoral strategy is to convince progressives to 'lend their vote' to them so that they, and only they, can beat the Conservatives.

The Liberals will never support PR.

As wealth inequality grows, Trudeau's centrist policies won't cut it anymore. They're barely working now.

He's propping up a system that's doomed to crash.

He will have to go left like the Democrats in the US or the NDP will do it.

Otherwise we will elect a demagogue like Trump.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they give her a chance. Then maybe the CPC is reduced to 3 seats lol.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
The Anti-Vaxxer stance of the Greens leads me to think that May doesn't believe in science
They're not anti-vaxxers lol
People can question profit motivations of companies without questioning the validity of the science or effectiveness of vaccines.

There are vested interests that want to conflate these positions and label all of it antivaxxer which makes the dialogue difficult.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
What did I say about the press treating the election like some saturday night UFC match.

Is there a point/need for this spectacle?

Status
Not open for further replies.