• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Is that a paper?

Is it a title?

What's going on there. Because the fact that 4chan led a campaign to get her promoted makes this suspect as fuck.

'White lives matter' is a white supremacist slogan. She's advocating for the interrogation of the term and how it relates to how white supremecy asserts itself in society.

That sounds like "All lives matter" rhetoric.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
She is rejecting the 'whiteness' part I think. Saying that lives mattering is not dependent on whiteness, which is what 'White Lives Matter' is seemingly suggesting since it's only deployed in opposition to 'Black Lives Matter'

This is why twitter is an absolutely shit medium for trying to insert serious social discourse.

The 4chan campaign was racist and homophobic and fueled with hate towards the lecturer. As a response to the hate, she was promoted.

I see.

Well, actually, no I don't.

deli

Oct 25, 2017
Is that a paper?

Is it a title?

What's going on there. Because the fact that 4chan led a campaign to get her promoted makes this suspect as fuck.

That sounds like "All lives matter" rhetoric.

What? You're suggesting that white lives matter isn't a racist dogwhistle? It literally is. People chanted it while throwing nazi salutes in the capital like less than 2 weeks ago.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
What? You're suggesting that white lives matter isn't a racist dogwhistle? It literally is. People chanted it while throwing nazi salutes in the capital like less than 2 weeks ago.

No, I agree, it is, which is why I can't make heads or tails of that tweet.

Edit: Okay, I understand after going through that entire twitter thread.

Rather, I understand the sentiment. That tweet is...not a great one though.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this in passing earlier - she was receiving absolutely vile abuse.

Her point required people to actually understand the wider point she was making. Alas, it's 2020 and people don't do that and instead use it as an opportunity to be incredibly racist and horrible to her.

This is why twitter is an absolutely shit medium for trying to insert serious social discourse.

I see.

Well, actually, no I don't.

They stood by her.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
I have read this tweet a dozen times and pondered it and still don't understand WTF she can possibly mean with "As white lives."

If she had said this out loud in a spoken conversation, I feel like I'd be even more confused as to what she meant

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
"White lives don't matter as white lives" feels like someone trying very hard to make a profound statement that doesn't actually mean anything.

deli

Oct 25, 2017
No, I agree, it is, which is why I can't make heads or tails of that tweet.

...the tweet is literally referring to that? The author in question is a well known postcolonial author and writer, this is entirely in the wheelhouse of things she regularly talks about. This is literally a hate campaign against her organised by white supremacists, what part are you not getting?

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
She is rejecting the 'whiteness' part I think. Saying that lives mattering is not dependent on whiteness, which is what 'White Lives Matter' is seemingly suggesting since it's only deployed in opposition to 'Black Lives Matter'

Hmm... That's would the same as the ALM rhetoric, in that it's only trotted out to undermine BLM.

I'm thinking maybe she's means that White Lives Don't matter in regards to the whiteness of the life?

Either way not very clear.

Lives, the verb, as he lives or he dies. Not the noun.

That makes even less sense to me, wouldn't it be "As whites live" then?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I'm trying really hard to understand the tweets but I can't figure it out. But as long as she is shitting on that stupid bullshit it's fine by me.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so "white lives don't matter as white lives" ergo white people are just treated as people whereas black people are always qualified as black people. Am I parsing that correctly? Because it's taking me for a loop otherwise.

Still fuck 4chan forever and good on Cambridge for not only sticking up for her but cementing her more strongly.

deli

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck she recieved a organised hate campaign, literally read the thread. This isn't about dumb whataboutisms about whether white lives matter or not.

Even if the tweet is somehow too off colour for folks here, we're talking about a target harassment campaign.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm... That's would the same as the ALM rhetoric, in that it's only trotted out to undermine BLM.

I'm thinking maybe she's means that White Lives Don't matter in regards to the whiteness of the life?

Yes that's what she means, which is what I was trying to say. She is rejecting the value of a life being tied to whiteness.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
Holy fuck she recieved a organised hate campaign, literally read the thread. This isn't about dumb whataboutisms about whether white lives matter or not.

People in this thread are literally trying to parse the English of her original tweet. I don't understand at all what the sentence "As white lives" even means.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have read this tweet a dozen times and pondered it and still don't understand WTF she can possibly mean with "As white lives."

If she had said this out loud in a spoken conversation, I feel like I'd be even more confused as to what she meant
The way I read it I think it supposed to be this:
As white lives. As in, not the pronunciation in "white lives matter", but the meaning in, for instance "that man lives in a house". The world is biased to making sure the white person lives through scenarios that would be fatal for others.

Edit: Or perhaps that's the wrong interpretation and it was meant to be the lives matter, but not through the whiteness. Hard to say through text.

But it's not surprising at all that the basement dwellers on 4chan and such aren't even close to being able to parse the meaning of the words beyond *durrr racist*

Last edited:

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

I think she's saying, "As traditional white culture exists and acts with and against other cultures, the sentient of "white live matters" means nothing if the only result of such a statement is it's use as another weapon to further seperate people." Which is correct. As long as things are the way they are, that statement is a tool of racist discord.

IT's just....a REAL funky way of saying that.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"White lives don't matter as white lives."

The emphasis is on the second white. Basically, a white person's life doesn't inherently hold value on the basis of whiteness.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think she is saying white lives matter, not as white lives, but as "regular" lives. Saying white lives matter is specifically speaking negatively towards black lives matter (aka all lives matter).

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
As white lives. As in, not the pronunciation in "white lives matter", but the meaning in, for instance "that man lives in a house". The world is biased to making sure the white person lives through scenarios that would be fatal for others.

I understand what you're saying but if the "lives" in "As white lives" is meant as the past tense "to live" and not the plural of "life", I am still no closer to understanding what the hell the sentence means.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Really not that hard to parse.

We say Black Lives Matter because black lives are being targeted. Black lives are suffering.

White lives do matter. But they are not being targeted, and are not suffering, due to that whiteness. White lives mattering, or any need to say a white life matters, is not a function of their whiteness.

deli

Oct 25, 2017
"White lives don't matter as white lives."

The emphasis is on the second white. Basically, a white person's life doesn't inherently hold value on the basis of whiteness.

People aren't gonna read stuff in good faith, britsh identity is intrinsically tied to whiteness and people react badly to it even if they claim to support the BLM movement.

It's basically the experience of being a person of colour in the UK, there was a similar harassment campaign because a non-white woman did the henious crime of taking a photo with an orange ice lolly after a terrorist incident, people were doing whataboutisms then too.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I saw this in passing earlier - she was receiving absolutely vile abuse.

Her point required people to actually understand the wider point she was making. Alas, it's 2020 and people don't do that and instead use it as an opportunity to be incredibly racist and horrible to her.

They stood by her.
Okay, my confusion here is cleared up.

I'm glad they stuck by her. These kinds of signs of solidarity mean a lot right now, especially as things continue to seemingly get worse in my country. Really does somewhat stick the point that if 4chan is involved in any sort or unified gesture, the outcome is going to be vile.

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Even if this wasn't what she originally meant this interpretation hits the hardest for me and is my preferred one.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
People aren't gonna read stuff in good faith, britsh identity is intrinsically tied to whiteness and people react badly to it even if they claim to support the BLM movement.

It's basically the experience of being a person of colour in the UK, there was a similar harassment campaign because a non-white woman did the henious crime of taking a photo with an orange ice lolly after a terrorist incident, people where doing whataboutisms then too.
Of course people aren't going to read criticisms of white supremacy and the normalization of whiteness in good faith. Doesn't matter how clear you are about it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Of course people aren't going to read criticisms of white supremacy and the normalization of whiteness in good faith. Doesn't matter how clear you are about it.
Considering how it is linked to how COvid is being handled, they should. Literally killing them, but they fight for the right to be dumb

deli

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how it is linked to how COvid is being handled, they should. Literally killing them, but they fight for the right to be dumb

Emancipation for many sections of the UK isn't making your own material circumstances better, but making them worse for people you see as 'lesser than you', with the countries colonial past left unacknowledged it's not a hard guess where that leads to.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Emancipation for many sections of the UK isn't making your own material circumstances better, but making them worse for people you see as 'lesser than you', with the countries colonial past left unacknowledged it's not a hard guess where that leads to.
Whiteness doesn't care if it loses a foot, as long as a "lesser" loses a leg

Mar 3, 2019
That's awesome that her university had her back like that, fuck 4chan racists.

That's an unnecessarily obtuse tweet tho. You have people explaining what she meant in a whole paragraph what she tried to truncate in like one sentence that looks weird. Obviously" White Lives don't matter" is a pretty inflammatory statement without the context. You have 250 characters, use them!

deli

Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome that her university had her back like that, fuck 4chan racists.

That's an unnecessarily obtuse tweet tho. You have people explaining what she meant in a whole paragraph what she tried to truncate in like one sentence that looks weird. Obviously" White Lives don't matter" is a pretty inflammatory statement without the context. You have 250 characters, use them!

Mar 3, 2019

She literally was at the opposite spectrum of a "clear statement". She didn't mention white supremacy whatsoever, just, "White lives don't matter". I know the right will misconstrue anything, but that's something that my liberal mother would go huh? at since it's worded so poorly and without context

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
isn't this just another way of saying white is seen by many as the default

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Having read her thread and this one, I think she's saying "whiteness doesn't matter" (using the notion that "whiteness" is just a lack of other qualities, not a quality itself) but wrapping it in "white lives" language to tie it in with the banner/be provocative.