• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Name another company that bought exclusivity for a type of game mode on a multi-platform release.

Name one.
Epic not once but 3 times now has completely blocked a game coming out at all on other platforms. So this what would equate to almost nothing towards the actual full game is honestly not the worst that they could have done.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Epic not once but 3 times now has completely blocked a game coming out at all on other platforms. So this what would equate to almost nothing towards the actual full game is honestly not the worst that they could have done.

Excusing a company chopping up a game modes because Epic has been doing something extreme controversial and criticized?

Thats the argument going out?

And its ironic no one can actually provide an example of this, instead of 'well look at Epic'

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Wow, and with a franchise like Call of Duty and its release structure, that means it may as well never arrive on other platforms.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Well if it's any consolation, CoD2020 will probably be a hot mess given the apparent state of Treyarch, so MW2019 will probably have at least 2 years of relevancy.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Probably had to do something if they originally paid them for dlc exclusivity as part of their marketing deal which you'd piss ppl off with crossplay

Jun 23, 2019
I'd prefer that over getting 80% of a game.

This is an exaggeration. It's the Survival Mode inside of Spec Ops that everyone will have access to. It's not an entire chunk of game lost. Also, I'm not saying that it's not shitty because in the end it is. However, you got people in here trying to act like this is the first time anything like this has ever happened when worse has.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
That is fucked up.

On a side note, does anyone know why MS didnt continue their exclusivity with Activision?

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO straight up one year exclusivity. Considering the shelf life of CoD games, it might as well be fully exclusive.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
This is an exaggeration. It's the Survival Mode inside of Spec Ops that everyone will have access to. It's not an entire chunk of game lost. Also, I'm not saying that it's not shitty because in the end it is. However, you got people in here trying to act like this is the first time anything like this has ever happened when worse has.

As someone that hasn't played CoD in years, what exactly is the survival mode?

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

What games were these? Steam isn't a platform, PC is. This isn't the argument you want. And it's not the same as selling other people a incomplete game. By the time I could play this mode, I'll have a Xbox Scarlett/PS5 and won't give a shit anymore. This and the Destiny deals are the worst because you're selling everyone not on PlayStation a lesser product.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Oh what the fuuuck. Survival mode was great in MW3. :/

... Guess I'm getting the game on PlayStation now instead of PC or Xbox. I think this is the first time that exclusive content has potentially swayed me to one platform over another. I feel played.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is completely fucked

Maps with timed exclusivity suck but that's nothing compared to an entire game mode (or subset of a mode in this case).

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
I have a PS4 but these types of deals needs to stop asap. I remember reading some articles that came out a while ago talking about how Sony plans for next gen and PS5 was to strengthen their ties with 3rd party developers I think more of this is how they will go about it.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
How are companies still doing this? it engenders no good will.

It was scummy when MS was flashing the cash around and it's still sucks with Sony doing the same.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
where does it say until 2020?
Bottom text
IiStgK7.png

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
I'll take it honestly. They changed the 1 week exclusive access for maps/modes to same day on all platforms for this most likely.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Sony keep pushing shitty exclusivity deals, what a surprise. At least I don't care about Call of Duty, but since people will keep enabling them, the deals will continue.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So sounds like spec ops is still intact? so i'm guessing the specs ops missions similar MW2 will be intact, but the survival version similar MW3 will be PS4 exclusive? If that's the case, I feel that's fine and wouldn't be enough to get me to jump until maybe the game goes on sale. Obviously would've liked everything closer though. Ugh, can't wait until COD will be platform neutral again.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So think of it as like Horde Mode from GeoW where you can spend money to buy weapons, ammo, killstreaks, etc. in between rounds.

That is pretty damn shitty to have to miss out on for a full year. So much for getting content across all systems on day one. This kind of shit needs to stop, but it's only getting worse when it comes to Acti.

This is why I sort of hope good guy Phil eventually says enough of this shit and turns dark.

I can't imagine him being happy about this all and rightfully so. It's really beyond pathetic.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
A whole year for a mode is fucking ridiculous. A month or two, sure whatever but this is overkill.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Sony never gets punished for it being the top console and activision gets paid and CoD sales wont suffer for it.

I was going to add that to my original post but some posters get huffy at the idea of Sony still needing to do shit like this. I know a deal has been signed but I doubt it says hold back modes.

Hopefully no manufacturer reups on these kinda deals. That Sony did the same kinda deal on Destiny with Acti speaks volumes of them.

Exclusive marketing and character skins etc will remain a necessary evil for now. But holding back modes from players on Xbox and PC sucks and is disgraceful.

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017
How is it exaggeration when survival mode was my most played mode on MW3, 12 months the game will be dead with the next COD launching by the time survival mode comes out, 3 month timed would have been fine.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Honestly this kind of stuff shouldn't even be allowed. At least have the decency to have it exclusive for a month or two tops.